FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does anyone else not like most "Classics"?

David_Pardy
Just curious to see if I'm the only heretic in the world who doesn't like "classic" modern music?

I'm no ACDC fan, I can't stand Axl Rose (although otherwise the Gunners would be alright). I think the Beatles were good at changing the face of music, but I don't like their music. I think Bowie's music was catchy in a drive-you-insane way, not in a good way.

So I just want to be reassured that I'm not the only person in the world who doesn't actually think that highly of popular modern classics?
liljp617
Razz I'm pretty sure you're not the only one. There are 6.5 billion people on this planet lol

What kind of music do you like? I can pretty much assure you there's SOME classic rock you could get into. There's not a whole lot to dislike about it. If you're not into the heavier rock like ACDC and GnR, check out Boston, The Who, and Pink Floyd. A lot more low key, relaxed, and more normal vocals (unlike ACDC/GnR). I can assure you there's something you like!
David_Pardy
I never really liked The Who all that much, but I can't say they're bad, just not really my thing. Except for Behind Blue Eyes, I hate that song.

I've heard a couple of Pink Floyd songs which I don't mind.

I'm into a bit more prog/fusion stuff. Planet X, On the Virg, Symphony X, Dream Theater, Threshold, Dave Weckl Band, CAB, Chick Corea, even some old Mxpx (who are punk) from around 95 - 2000.
catscratches
Same here, I don't like any of the "classics" that I've heard.

EDIT: It feels like they never have that little extra sound that make them special (cause their music has been adopted by many other bands making it feel uninnovative).
liljp617
catscratches wrote:
Same here, I don't like any of the "classics" that I've heard.

EDIT: It feels like they never have that little extra sound that make them special (cause their music has been adopted by many other bands making it feel uninnovative).

Along with them not having $4 million studios to record in and the technological advancements/effects in music to make everything sound perfect or sound neat.

To me, that's precisely what I think makes classic rock a very respectable genre. When you pick up a classic rock album, you're pretty much hearing exactly what the band played in the studio. If they made a small mistake in the recording, it was generally left, rather than fixed or redone. You can hear the vintage guitar amps and guitars. They have their own sound that nobody these days can recreate with that exact equipment. To me, that is the passion in their music and I don't think there are a ton of bands today who make music with that level of passion (although there are still some...but the numbers are dwindling).
norbert1
classic is a relative term, but I think it should not be used for music from the last 30 years. I like classic music and a lot of the modern music as well as long as it has a melody and is not resembling scraping sounds like in heavy metal or the like.
David_Pardy
But some people consider some relatively modern songs to be classics, such as Guns and Roses' Sweet Child O' Mine.

So I used the word to cover all bases Smile.

The thing is though, is that with one hit wonders from the late nineties until now, they've all thankfully died off and TRULY been one hit wonders.
liljp617
norbert1 wrote:
classic is a relative term, but I think it should not be used for music from the last 30 years. I like classic music and a lot of the modern music as well as long as it has a melody and is not resembling scraping sounds like in heavy metal or the like.

Seemed pretty apparent to me he was using "classic" in terms of "classic rock," which is the name of the genre...so I don't see a problem with it.
Nutteloos
Not everyone will like Pink Floyd, but personally I can highly recommend their later albums.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason is very much my favorite, but Animals and Wish You Were Here are definitely great too.