FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Genius of Darwin

Bikerman
A short series of programmes is being broadcast on CH4 (UK) called 'The Genius of Charles Darwin'. It is presented and narrated by Richard Dawkins.
Having seen the first episode I would encourage anyone to watch it - particularly those of a 'scriptural literalism' bent.
http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/F/famelab/
liljp617
=/ I don't get PBS.

Guess I'll have to hope somebody posts it online. Thanks for the heads up.
finekiss
I just wanna say you should reconsider the theory of darwin.
Evolution is not the way he discribed that's for sure, I think the monkey has human anscestors and
not the other way round.
If there are several kinds of birds then this is adaptation for instance not evolution.
Moreover, there has to be a start for anything.Example:
Counting system began with nos. and symbol "1" was chosen to represent a single quantity...
This example applies to all things in life.
Idea
Bikerman
finekiss wrote:
I just wanna say you should reconsider the theory of darwin.
Evolution is not the way he discribed that's for sure, I think the monkey has human anscestors and
not the other way round.
If there are several kinds of birds then this is adaptation for instance not evolution.
Moreover, there has to be a start for anything.Example:
Counting system began with nos. and symbol "1" was chosen to represent a single quantity...
This example applies to all things in life.
Idea
Stick to maths - you know bugger-all about biology. If you have evidence that monkeys evolved from humans (and I know you don't, because there isn't any) then produce it, otherwise save this religious crap for the religion and philosophy forum where it belongs. You should watch the programme - you might learn something.
barmstonian
Bikerman wrote:
Stick to maths - you know bugger-all about biology. If you have evidence that monkeys evolved from humans (and I know you don't, because there isn't any) then produce it, otherwise save this religious crap for the religion and philosophy forum where it belongs. You should watch the programme - you might learn something.

Well said Bikerman... I'm sick of hearing religious claptrap dressed up as science (or morality for that matter).

In some senses it seems like it is disproving evolution - the evolution of knowledge. Religion-sponsored ignorance is spreading. Pretty soon we'll have de-invented the wheel!

The truth is out there...

Cheers,
B.
Ankhanu
finekiss wrote:

Adaptation, not evolution?
Just what do you think evolution is other than adaptation?

Darwin is certainly one of the most influential and controversial scientists in history. No one has come close to his power since, and few in the past rival his work. It's truly amazing how much controversy natural selection caused when it came out... it's even MORE amazing how much controversy it still causes and how poorly understood its concepts are nearly 150 years later. How many other theories, so solidly backed by evidence have faced such a long and arduous denial by the masses, educated and ignorant alike?!?

Was his clarity and vision ahead of his time... or has the bulk of humanity simply lagging behind?

I look forward to checking out the series. As I'm in Canada, I don't get BBC, hopefully there will be other venues.
Bikerman
Well, it's not on the BBC - Channel 4 is a different broadcaster.
There is a digital 'watch-again' version of CH4 but, unfortunately I think it is limited to the UK and Eire.
http://www.channel4.com/4od/how2use4od.html

Evolution has certainly had a hard time being accepted by the masses. This is, of course, primarily down to religiously inspired resistance, since the basics of evolution are fairly simple to grasp. It is quite startling to read that a majority of US citizens still believe in creationism or theistic evolution (as reported in many polls)
http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm

There does seem to be some correlation between education and acceptance of evolution - those without a high school diploma, for example, are much more likely to believe in creationism that graduates, but the figures are still frighteningly high.
Jinx
Yeah, it saddens me to know I'm living in a state that actually tried to get intelligent design added to the public school curriculum. I honestly don't understand how people can be so dim witted.

But I try to look at the bright side... if it hadn't been for the battle over that issue the gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (may you be blessed by his noodly appendage) might never have been revealed.
Bikerman
Jinx wrote:
But I try to look at the bright side... if it hadn't been for the battle over that issue the gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (may you be blessed by his noodly appendage) might never have been revealed.
Ahh...the old heresy. I was once a heretic who worshipped at the Church of the FSM, until I saw the error of my ways and came to realise that IPU (may her holy hooves never be shod) is the one true God.
All praise to the Invisible Pink Unicorn and down with the pernicious pasta people.
Smile
leosthenerd
ok...
Ankhanu
Bikerman wrote:
Jinx wrote:
Ahh...the old heresy. I was once a heretic who worshipped at the Church of the FSM, until I saw the error of my ways and came to realise that IPU (may her holy hooves never be shod) is the one true God.
All praise to the Invisible Pink Unicorn and down with the pernicious pasta people.
Smile

Thanks for the chuckle Smile
chasbeen
It's amazing how much argument this subject draws. The best example of this I can think of was the trial of John T. Scopes , a biology teacher, who was tried in 1925 for teaching the Darwinian theory in a Dayton public school.
Fake
Will try to get some copies and see what this is about
I hope it is real, and not just speculated stuff