FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

One sig per user per page

ocalhoun
On another forum, I noticed a nice feature that would help make pages smaller both in pixels and kilobytes.

If a user has more than one post on one page of a topic in the forum, only the last post of the two (or more) posts displays a signature.

Having that feature keeps it from being annoying when large sigs are repeated over and over, and it also reduces page load times for users. There is also a slight reduction in bandwidth demands on the server, though this might be counterbalanced by slightly increased processing loads.
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
On another forum, I noticed a nice feature that would help make pages smaller both in pixels and kilobytes.

If a user has more than one post on one page of a topic in the forum, only the last post of the two (or more) posts displays a signature.

Having that feature keeps it from being annoying when large sigs are repeated over and over, and it also reduces page load times for users. There is also a slight reduction in bandwidth demands on the server, though this might be counterbalanced by slightly increased processing loads.

Normally those images are cached/reused and not downloaded again. Of course, there might be exceptions, but it should be this way in most cases.

I will normally make a 'light' mode for the forums without avatars and signatures.
Ghost Rider103
Or we could reduce the signatures sizes.

Your sig is a very good example of a signture that is too big Laughing

None of it bothers me much though.
athensgames
i agree with ocalhoun, its annoying having all those sig's, on a topic with 10 pages, 2 1/2 pages are probably all signature.
Peterssidan
One thing I thought of was that if you read trough a a topic you don't always look at the name of the author. often it's enough to look at the avatar and signature if there is one. If the first post contains a signature but next doesn't, isn't there a risk that you take them as different users? just a thought.

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Your sig is a very good example of a signture that is too big Laughing
But not by the rules.

Maybe it's more annoying for people with low resolution.