FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux - OpenSuSe 11.0 =[

KHO
Anyone noticed that SuSe seems to be getting worse? I had to remove it from my new computer today because it just kept bugging out on me, I had tons of programs hang, it would randomly switch to a black screen that I cant get out of (problem with my mobo or intel drivers?), had random errors on the 64 bit version where I would mouse over something and the effect would appear on the other side of the screen??? Whats happening with this beloved OS?
swizzy
The only positive point left about OpenSuse that it has the best hardware detection and support till now... its pretty, but whats the use when your pretty desktop keeps crashing every 15 mins.. Evil or Very Mad
mehulved
What I heard from my friends has been totally opposite!
A couple of my friends are using OpenSUSE 11.0 and are really happy with it. And according to them it's the best version of OpenSUSE released.
Maybe you're using KDE 4.0.x, which has been quite buggy as it wasn't a end user release. May be that is the reason why you are having your problems?
ocalhoun
mehulved wrote:

Maybe you're using KDE 4.0.x, which has been quite buggy as it wasn't a end user release. May be that is the reason why you are having your problems?

Quite likely, though I have a version of SuSE 10 with KDE 4, and it doesn't have any problems...

Try booting up in a different WM though, it might help a lot.
Studio Madcrow
OpenSUSE 11 has been working fine on the one computer I use it on. Sadly the version of the kernel used in 11.0 doesn't like the wireless card in my other computer so it's still using 10.3. Maybe some of your hardware is starting to fail and that's causing the crashes?
Flarkis
Personally i was quite disappointed with opensuse it was my first REAL linux distro after ubuntu but it didnt live up to all its hype so i switched to gentoo
mehulved
Well, I am running OpenSUSE 11.0 with default KDE4 in VirtualBox, it's giving a very decent performance, and that's awesome considering that I have such an old rig. I am yet to see any problems per se with it.
surdy
I don't use OpenSuse myself but my friend does , and he told me that he was more than happy with OpenSuse 11 and KDE 4.
I'm myself using Fedora and am happy with it so didn't switch despite many people telling me about pretty features of OpenSUSE
xcloudy
mehulved wrote:
What I heard from my friends has been totally opposite!
A couple of my friends are using OpenSUSE 11.0 and are really happy with it. And according to them it's the best version of OpenSUSE released.

I agree with mehulved. I also heard lot's of prises from my friends about OpenSUSE, although I'm still using Ubunu.
mehulved
xcloudy wrote:
I agree with mehulved. I also heard lot's of prises from my friends about OpenSUSE, although I'm still using Ubunu.

which one? I have 2 conflicting comments Razz
Studio Madcrow
Update on MY OpenSUSE experience. My old wireless card just finally died, and I got a new one that woks with OpenSUSE 11 and now everything rocks! I still don't see how anyone can have issues with OpenSuse 11, because it's just plain awesome!