FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Mississippi coast 3 years after Katrina (1.6MB of pics)

ocalhoun
With a little free time this weekend, I went out and took some pictures of the Mississippi coastline, both in its man-made state and the areas where it is still in the natural state.

Starting with the altered parts: It looks nice from here.

And from here

But why is the beach so vacant?

It is because if you want to swim here, your tetanus shots had better be up to date:

They are making the best they can of it though. Many of the destroyed trees have been carved into statues. This one may have been done a little prematurely, so now they have something that can really be called a living statue:

After that, lets go to where the shore is still in its natural state, before people dumped pretty white sand all over it.

It doesn't seem to have changed much. That is possibly because it would eat up any trash that got into it. Something dropped in here would never be seen again. After I've seen this, I can see how some terrain would be completely impassable, no matter how you tried to cross it.

This is a weird kind of swamp, because it is full of salt water, you have crabs and shrimp sharing space with gators. This place smells exactly like uncooked shrimp. Think of that next time you eat some.

After that, I left the water behind and followed one of the trails they have there

Taking a picture of something as skittish as this skink is hard, especially when you don't have a lot of zoom to work with.

Unfortunately, this was the best shot of this spider that I could get, because my camera doesn't have a manual focus.

Your thoughts?
Did you like the pictures?
Futumuch
Your pictures are great, I like the carved tree. I have never seen them before.
8166UY
The pictures are indeed of a decent quality. Makes me wanna spent my vacation there, even with the debris! Very Happy Maybe you should consider buying a better camera so they look more professional.
legion
You have some beautiful shots here. I like the one with the lizard. It has incredible colors.

What camera did you use? It would have been great if it had a macro mode Smile
ocalhoun
legion wrote:
You have some beautiful shots here. I like the one with the lizard. It has incredible colors.

What camera did you use? It would have been great if it had a macro mode Smile

I use an Olympus SW720, which doesn't have great picture-taking abilities, but does have the nice advantage of being nearly indestructible. It can drop onto concrete, then bounce into water, while turned on and ready to take pictures, and not be any worse for it.

It does have macro modes, though I wasn't using them there, because I had to use the zoom to take that picture without getting too close and spooking it away. Annoyingly, the auto-focus still operates in macro modes though.
Tumbleweed
Nice pictures and great commentary, I do feel like I have been on a walk with you Very Happy
Ghost900
Very nice images, they are all very nice quality.

The Spider picture is pretty good but the blue tailed lizard thing is a very nice image, looks great.

It will be a while before they remove the metal and have it fully cleaned up, if they ever do.

The carving is a very nice image with the green growth near its feet.
leosthenerd
nice pictures Wink
nivinjoy
You always gives us good quality and excellent pics..I liked these pics very much..!!

I lked the carved tree one very much..!! Very creative minds out there..!! But i didn't get it clearly why the beach is really so vacant..?? Could you please explain the reason that you have given..!! Question Question
Ghost900
nivinjoy wrote:
You always gives us good quality and excellent pics..I liked these pics very much..!!

I lked the carved tree one very much..!! Very creative minds out there..!! But i didn't get it clearly why the beach is really so vacant..?? Could you please explain the reason that you have given..!! Question Question

The two pictures below it explain, it is filled with rusted metal. Confused
Diablosblizz
Even though I hate spiders, that's a nice picture. Don't ask why I hate them, just imagine that huge thing attacking you. Razz

Love the lizard, as somebody said beautiful colours. I also enjoy looking at your pictures, it seems to like to travel a lot.

Good job on this bunch!
Kashinilaya
What a nice collection of pictures! This time I'm as astonished with the natural themes as I am with the artistic job (the carved trees).