FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Analog to Digital Switchover.

Diablosblizz
I personally what to know how you feel about this. I think it's really dumb, just another way for companies to make more money. Although, the viewing experience is a lot better, I don't really care. My TV works perfectly fine, and I don't believe anything more should be bought for it.

http://ffc.gov wrote:
After February 17, 2009, you will be able to receive and view over-the-air digital programming with an analog TV only by purchasing a digital-to-analog set-top converter box. Between January 1, 2008, and March 31, 2009, all U.S. households will be able to request up to two coupons, worth $40 each, to be used toward the future purchase of eligible digital-to-analog converter boxes. Eligible converter boxes are for the conversion of over-the-air digital television signals, and therefore are not intended for analog TVs connected to a paid provider such as cable or satellite TV service.

$40 dollars, I mean maybe it's not that much but why are they doing this to us? I'd really like to compare Analog to HD, although it's a totally different type here. In my personal experience, I've seen a lot of HD TV's, and let me tell you they're pretty nice! Then again, if the channel is not broadcasting in HD, say goodbye to even thinking of watching that channel. If they are not broadcasting in HD, the station will look horrible on a HDTV, and I think it's just a horrible way to watch normal TV, believe it or not that cuts about 3/4 of the channels with my TSP (Television Service Provider). I will admit that HDTV channels are BEAUTIFUL, and watching a movie with it is virtually unbelievable. But, I would never be able to stand watching pixels on the screen, and let me tell you it's VERY pixelated (this was on a 1080PI TV).

Anyways, back on topic, I want to know what you think of this Analog to Digital Switchover? Thank you very much.
Agent ME
The main point of the switchover is that now many radio frequencies that used to be reserved for TV are now open again. Possibly wireless networks for cellphones, etc, could be improved and faster.
Magicman
Another reason for the switch to digital is so that only one type of emergency signal has to be sent out. I honestly don't see this as a scheme to make more money.
Nehallyn
The switch is going to be good for many reasons. A few have been mentioned here. Besides, the governement is giving people $40 vouchers to buy the converters, so who cares? If you get eh digital free, why complain?
MeddlingMonk
Here in Australia, the switch from analog to digital has been a slow one. In fact, the various free-to-air television stations have had to postpone the analog shutdown date twice now, as not enough people have digital set-top boxes or TVs.

My main reason for switching over to digital is that movies are actually broadcast in widescreen. Here in Australia, any widescreen material that is broadcast on analog gets cropped either to 4:3 or 14:8, which sometimes looks awful, especially when titles or credits are actually meant to fill the 16:9 frame and, as a result, have the start and end cropped.
wmmullaney
It is a good idea, as I understand it it open up a large chunk of the spectrum for emergency uses(Fire Ambulances Rescue squads).
tony
Agent ME wrote:
The main point of the switchover is that now many radio frequencies that used to be reserved for TV are now open again. Possibly wireless networks for cellphones, etc, could be improved and faster.

Exactly; from what i've heard it is actually a great transition. One good thing the FCC has done in the US (there are not many imO)....
ocalhoun
tony wrote:
. One good thing the FCC has done in the US (there are not many imO)....

They do a decent job, considering how much junk is on the airwaves that has to be kept separate.
achowles
Actually it makes perfect sense to me. What doesn't make so much sense is the way it's being carried out here in the UK. Given the amount of money they've spent gradually easing analogue out they could have simply sent out digiboxes to anyone who needed one and had completed the switch over in a matter of months. Then again the UK is pretty notorious for being slow on the uptake when it comes to technology.
driftingfe3s
The only people who are affected by this are people who use the TV antennas or "bunny ear" antennas to watch TV. If you have any cable, satellite or anything else, you won't be affected.