FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mobo is missing speaker header connector?! [solved]

KHO
Recently purchased a EVGA 760i SLI motherboard, running through all the connections while I wait for my CPU to arrive in the next day or so and I connect all the headers (power buttons and such). I find everything in the manual just fine and get everything connected pretty comfortably. Now I'm going through the manual and it mentions that in the next section it will outline how to connect the speaker header, but then totally skips this, the only information Google gave me is other people saying that it has no speaker connector. Now this is weird to me, because right next to where I connected many of the other headers, I see a marking that clearly says SPEAKER.

My question is simple, if I connect the speaker header to this area, and it isn't actually designated for that header, what kind of harm will I do to my new PC components?
jwellsy
Speaker header? Whats that?
Mobo's either have onboard audio or they dont.
If it doesn't have onboard sound then you need a sound card to instal in a slot.

There is probably a small two pin connector on the mobo that the case speaker plugs into for beep codes to use.
KHO
it has onboard audio, but the front header I speak of is like one of those cords thats already installed on the case. Its along with the POWER_SW, RESET_SW, HDD_LED all of those cords and just reads SPEAKER. I've managed to get the diagnosis beeps to play even without this plugged in, so I imagine its not a huge deal at this point. But would still be nice to know for future reference without actualy applying the experiment on my own $250 mobo.
ForceRun
KHO wrote:
Recently purchased a EVGA 760i SLI motherboard, running through all the connections while I wait for my CPU to arrive in the next day or so and I connect all the headers (power buttons and such). I find everything in the manual just fine and get everything connected pretty comfortably. Now I'm going through the manual and it mentions that in the next section it will outline how to connect the speaker header, but then totally skips this, the only information Google gave me is other people saying that it has no speaker connector. Now this is weird to me, because right next to where I connected many of the other headers, I see a marking that clearly says SPEAKER.

My question is simple, if I connect the speaker header to this area, and it isn't actually designated for that header, what kind of harm will I do to my new PC components?

I know exactly what you are talking about. You want to hook up the case's little system speaker. Most of the newer mobos include the speaker right on the mobo so no need for the case's speaker at all. All it is for is beeping when the computer turns on, or has a hardware issue that stops the system from booting.

Is you computer beeping? If so the mobo has a speaker. If not who really needs a case speaker anyways.
KHO
Ya, i understand thats what it was for, but when I was assembling it, i saw room for it in the manual, then it skipped the topic so i checked online, and I I saw about 30 posts of people saying theirs wont beep. however, mine beeps just fine, so I was a lil confused there for a bit but came to that same conclusion.

But I was still just looking to see if by chance plugging that cord into the wrong area might produce some kind of error or cataclysmic effect.
ForceRun
Yeah don't worry it will boot either way. I personally just plug it in but turn if off in the BIOS if I can.
KHO
fair enough answer. Thank you very much. Topic may be closed.
Animal
KHO wrote:
fair enough answer. Thank you very much. Topic may be closed.

Topic -closed- by request.

Please feel free to PM any of the team if you want it to be re-opened Smile