FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chrono Trigger DS

Derbmeister
Anyone else looking forward to this? They have an official site up with a "countdown", but it's only a glorified CT-styled clock made in Flash. >_>

Hopefully it's not just a lazy port, and something like the FF3 and FF4 remakes that SquareEnix have been making.
QrafTee
Haven't you seen the screenshots? It's pretty much a direct port-ish with added dungeons and the like. The reason for this being if it was in 3-d, the game would be at a much slower pace and that would ruin what makes Chrono Trigger the game we all know and love. It makes sense, so they better incorporate a lot of new extras... I bet is just two dungeons, no new characters, nothing exceptional. I'd rather wait awhile and buy it when it comes to Wii's Virtual Console for $10 instead of paying $30-$40 for Square's latest attempt to milk one of their popular franchises.
blk3
A whole new Chrono Trigger games for handhelds (PSP and DS) would be much nicer than a port or even a remake (even with 3D graphics)
Derbmeister
Ah geez. I just saw the screens today...

For shame Squenix.
blk3
Could you give a link to the screenshots.
ddukki
Ah man, I remember first playing this on a ZNES emu and then actually buying for the PS. By that time, the cartridge was already selling for around $30 and now it's up the roof. Chrono Trigger was the most involving game I'd played up to then until I found Final Fantasy VII. Chrono Cross was also great but I might be biased towards that since it was the first PS game I ever bought.

Regardless, I'm hyped up that this installment will have mostly the same graphics and game mechanics as the original. I couldn't imagine it being any different. I'm not too worried about the new dungeon, though as it probably won't be open until New Game + [my speculation, no source, purely my own opinion]

As for the screens, just look up the Square Enix site on Google, plus a "CTDS" keyword. Google pwns.
QrafTee
ddukki wrote:
Ah man, I remember first playing this on a ZNES emu and then actually buying for the PS. By that time, the cartridge was already selling for around $30 and now it's up the roof. Chrono Trigger was the most involving game I'd played up to then until I found Final Fantasy VII. Chrono Cross was also great but I might be biased towards that since it was the first PS game I ever bought.

Regardless, I'm hyped up that this installment will have mostly the same graphics and game mechanics as the original. I couldn't imagine it being any different. I'm not too worried about the new dungeon, though as it probably won't be open until New Game + [my speculation, no source, purely my own opinion]

As for the screens, just look up the Square Enix site on Google, plus a "CTDS" keyword. Google pwns.

What he means basically is this: http://na.square-enix.com/ctds/
enygmasoft
QrafTee wrote:
ddukki wrote:

What he means basically is this: http://na.square-enix.com/ctds/

In my opinion this is one of best RPG's ever made and so remaking I would certainly hope for a decent remake.
xjuniorx
I cannot wait for this game! Chrono Trigger for SNES was just awesome now for the DS a complete remake with 3D graphics and more added to the story!!!
Kelcey
If there was significantly more to the port, I'd really care. But with one dungeon... I really should save my money.
enygmasoft
Kelcey wrote:
If there was significantly more to the port, I'd really care. But with one dungeon... I really should save my money.

Speaking of ported over games, did you ever here about a hobbiest project, which was full blown 3D remake of Chrono Trigger. The was being made using PS2 quality graphics. There was a website open regading this game. They even had a trailer video that sampled how far along the project was done. It was looking like a great port for when the game would be finished, it was supposed to be a PC port. Sadly, the hobbiest games was never finished due to square soft sending a cease and decist letter, essentially closing their project down. I would have the first to download the remake. The game was a work in progress for a few years, before being closed down, which gives you a glimpse into how good this game was becoming. Why did Square Soft crush a very elegant vision of a great game? Check out the website below:

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/
hlavco
I've never played the original, but I've heard good things about it so I might check this out.
enygmasoft
hlavco wrote:
I've never played the original, but I've heard good things about it so I might check this out.

You are missing out on good times, I have passed both games in the series and the first one is by far the best.
driftingfe3s
I haven't played anything new on my Nintendo DS for a long time now so I'll probabbly get this game just to have something to play when I'm bored waiting in between my one hour gap I have between 2 of my classes.

I'm not supried by the port, its just like the FF3 and FF4 ports more or less. I didn't expect much from it. The original game was great, so I don't mind the lack of features, etc., with this port.
QrafTee
driftingfe3s wrote:
I haven't played anything new on my Nintendo DS for a long time now so I'll probably get this game just to have something to play when I'm bored waiting in between my one hour gap I have between 2 of my classes.

I'm not surprised by the port, its just like the FF3 and FF4 ports but a lot less. I didn't expect much from it. The original game was great, so I don't mind the lack of features, etc., with this port.

There I fixed your post. Anyway, try out The World Ends With You, Wind of the Goddess (not out yet), Kingdom Hearts: 3XX/2 Days (not out yet), and Meteos is always great.
Kelcey
enygmasoft wrote:
Kelcey wrote:

Speaking of ported over games, did you ever here about a hobbiest project, which was full blown 3D remake of Chrono Trigger. The was being made using PS2 quality graphics. There was a website open regading this game. They even had a trailer video that sampled how far along the project was done. It was looking like a great port for when the game would be finished, it was supposed to be a PC port. Sadly, the hobbiest games was never finished due to square soft sending a cease and decist letter, essentially closing their project down. I would have the first to download the remake. The game was a work in progress for a few years, before being closed down, which gives you a glimpse into how good this game was becoming. Why did Square Soft crush a very elegant vision of a great game? Check out the website below:

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/

Yeah I've heard of it and followed it here and there. It's a shame that Square killed it off.
dualR
xjuniorx wrote:
I cannot wait for this game! Chrono Trigger for SNES was just awesome now for the DS a complete remake with 3D graphics and more added to the story!!!

It's not a remake, just a port as many of the other posters have pointed out, it's not 3D, last I heard the only addition was an extra dungeon.

I remember playing this game on the SNES and getting quite far before I stopped, I can't actually remember what made me stop, maybe being on a portable will make me finish playing it this time.
rshackelford
I will probably get it just to play the new dungeon. I already own 2 copies of the game, SNES and PlayStation, so why not get another.
Cove
(sorry to bring back such an old topic but I didn't want to create a new one)

What's everyone's opinion on this now that it's out? I personally never played the original Chrono Trigger longer than a couple hours or so, but the DS one seems about the same to me so far. I'm using the DS layout or whatever and everything works pretty smoothly. I haven't made it to any of the new content so far but from what I've heard from people who have it's nothing too special.
toasterintheoven
greatest effin' game of all time. I'm lvl 70 plus for all my characters
amperx
well honestly i really didnt care that much even it was ported, i still played it anyways and still enjoyed it though lol xd