FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Building new computer - Vista or XP?

Ghost Rider103
Ok, so I am happy with my laptop that I currently have, it does great for just graphics. I am a graphic designer, and this is where I usually make most of my money now a days.

But, though this laptop is fairly new, along with the other PC's in my house, I want one that can handle a lot more.

Since this subject probably depends on what kind of hardware my computer is going to be using, I guess I will give you a small amount of detail that I know for sure is going into my computer.

Firstly, I am going to have 1000GB HDD (Two HD's 500GB a piece).
4GB of RAM
My video card will support me with 1GB (Not sure that matters or not to you, but I figured just in case).

I don't think it is necessary to sit here and type everything exactly that I am going to buy. (Though I do have it all written down on paper, if it is truly needed).

Anyways, like I said I am a graphic designer, and I do it quite a bit. This means multiple programs open at once. I have about 3 differnt design programs open at once, sometimes there is a fourth which is a 3D program which takes up a lot of memory. Plus I have at least 5 different pages open on my web browser, and MSN Messenger, sometimes AIM, and YIM. I always have my mIRC program open. So those are some of the details on what will be running almost always.

So the big question, should I go with Windows Vista, or XP? My laptop currently has Windows Vista, and I do notice that it eats up quite a bit of memory, just when the thing is idling. I don't know if this will affect me very much since I am going to have 4GB of RAM, but I could be wrong?

What are your views on what I should go with? The only reason I am even considering about going with Vista is because I love the look of it. XP just looks old. I know I can modify my XP, but honestly I do not want to do that, as it seems everyone who does that eventually has problems with their PC. I have done that to one of my computers I have had in the past, and along came many errors, along with a virus which came with the download to modify my XP.

I can't really afford to loose any of my data. Though my extra drive is going to be my backup, but still I don't want any problems.

Aside from me wanting Vista because of looks, what are your opinions on what I should go with?

If you need anymore information just ask.
doppleganger
can anyone tell me how to dual boot my laptop

i have vista on it and i want xp also on it
neji
Ghostrider, I just bought my new pc. I'll give you a screenshot of the specs.
Vista 64bit (ultimate) works great on it.

(Prices are in EURO - total: 2800$)
thetinyclam
Get Vista my friend. Seeing that you're in the graphics design field, you'd have a much better appreciation for the eye candy in Vista. With all the negativity on Vista nowadays, I think people are just bandwagoning when it comes to the bashing. People complain Vista is unecessarily slow, but seriously, RAM is so cheap!!!! Your new computer should have no problems with Vista.

I think a better question for you to ask is what monitor and graphics card you should be getting--'cuz... Vista is the obvious choice! Laughing .
Ghost Rider103
thetinyclam wrote:

I think a better question for you to ask is what monitor and graphics card you should be getting--'cuz... Vista is the obvious choice! Laughing .

Those are already picked out Wink
Ankhanu
On that sort of machine, Vista should work fine. If you're already using Vista on your laptop, I assume you're not having any compatibility issues with it and your editing software, so that's not a concern. At 4Gb RAM I think you might be ok with multitasking and Vista's memory consumption.

So, yeah, I think you'll be ok running Vista. XP is more tried and true, but with that sort of machine I don't think it should be a problem. On a lesser system I definitely would NOT use Vista though.
Diablosblizz
I'm not sure if you want this configuration to be on a laptop, or on a desktop, if you plan on doing it on your laptop it may cause a issue with both heat and space. Running Vista may be a great idea, and with 4 GB of ram it will run perfectly and with your 1 GB card it will be the operating system it was meant to be.

4 GB on Vista will be no problem, but 4 GB on XP will be godly. Smile It's solely up to you, but XP would be a lot cheaper.
LostOverThere
I ago with Diablosblizz here, Vista would work fine, but XP would be a speed machine.
cavedog2
Use XP mate. Vista like a lot of RAM. Vista just has to much problems with permissions. Its a nice OS but to much hassle for me. Use XP Pro for a pc without any problems! Very Happy
KHO
The bottom line of it is that if you intend to play games on it, or use any kind of new program (photoshop, macromedia/adobe products......) then you will be obligated to switch to vista within the coming year. Thats really the bottom line imo. I personally can't stand vista, and will be searching for a way to play my games without it, but I doubt I will be able to.

Curse MS and their shitty sales tactics!
HamsterMan
KHO wrote:
The bottom line of it is that if you intend to play games on it, or use any kind of new program (photoshop, macromedia/adobe products......) then you will be obligated to switch to vista within the coming year. Thats really the bottom line imo. I personally can't stand vista, and will be searching for a way to play my games without it, but I doubt I will be able to.

I wonder, I know that because many new games require directx10 to run (and that hack directx10 version for xp is nowhere near working), you can't run many new games in vista. But why switch to vista because of software that can just as well work on windows xp? Unless you absolutely have to have some vista only 64-bit version that software.
Ghost Rider103
Diablosblizz wrote:
I'm not sure if you want this configuration to be on a laptop, or on a desktop, if you plan on doing it on your laptop it may cause a issue with both heat and space. Running Vista may be a great idea, and with 4 GB of ram it will run perfectly and with your 1 GB card it will be the operating system it was meant to be.

4 GB on Vista will be no problem, but 4 GB on XP will be godly. Smile It's solely up to you, but XP would be a lot cheaper.

I am not modifying my laptop, I am leaving that as it is.

I thought I made it pretty clear, but what I was trying to say was I am Building a NEW computer. From ground up, so everything in there is going to be very high dollar, so I won't have any troubles running any of the hardware in it.

I already have Vista, and XP pro both on a disc, so money is not the issue with this one, since I already have them.

I am still not sure on what to go with, I figure I will just decide when it comes down to that point in deciding.
cvkien
vista is ok, but if you want optimize performance, then use xp. xp is twice faster than vista in same spec of computer. and if you afford to have 1000gb hard disk and 1gb video card, why not make your ram to 16gb?? when you have 1000gb hard disk, 1gb graphic, and 4gb of ram, it just like you wear slipper with tuxedo.
Elric
I had to buy a new desktop machine late last year due to a hardware failure. I got really bummed about the fact that it was hard to avoid Vista because I'd heard so much complaining with respect to it but I was having trouble finding an XP box with the specs I wanted. Turned out to be a non-issue. Vista works really well on a new machine with plenty of RAM.

The internet hype overstates the issues with a new Microsoft OS. Go figure. Rolling Eyes
balend
If you're building your own computer, then I would go with 64 Bit Vista.
Ghost Rider103
I am pretty sure I am going to use vista.

I do not believe the Mother Board I have will even hold 16GB of RAM. Max is 8GB, which I will be upgrading to later on.

The problem with 64Bit Vista, is not all software programs are compatible with it. Otherwise I would definitely be going with the 64bit. But at the moment it is too new, and not all the programs I use will work with it, and I NEED all my programs that I am currently using, as this is how I make my money. I have already looked into it, so 64Bit is a no go Sad
KHO
HamsterMan wrote:
KHO wrote:

I wonder, I know that because many new games require directx10 to run (and that hack directx10 version for xp is nowhere near working), you can't run many new games in vista. But why switch to vista because of software that can just as well work on windows xp? Unless you absolutely have to have some vista only 64-bit version that software.
Because Microsoft is determined to make Vista sell. It was a huge bombshell imo, and they are using their monopoly control over the situation to their advantage. They control the PC gaming market, and also have a major hand in the console gaming market, they are probably the leading software producer in the world, and sell more computer related product then anyone else since their name ships on damn near every box that is sold. They will use this all to their advantage, Microsoft will happily spend a billion dollars ensuring that nothing produced after January 2009 will ever work on an xp machine. And they will be quite successful because every time a patch is released that allows these games to work on xp, they would spend another million to break the patch.
osuchin
it depends on your hardware specs
justtj
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Ok, so I am happy with my laptop that I currently have, it does great for just graphics. I am a graphic designer, and this is where I usually make most of my money now a days.

Vista is excellent for photographers and designers.. I also use Vista for managing my stuff, vista can easily handly most of file formats and handle files by exif data...

Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Firstly, I am going to have 1000GB HDD (Two HD's 500GB a piece).
4GB of RAM

If you need to have backup of your data you will need Vista ultimate for support of Dynamic Disk so that you can create RAID volumes..
DjMilez
Am I a twat because I still use XP? =[

Anyway, I've used vista before, it's great, I think it'd be best for you.
[FuN]goku
If it were me I'd go with 64 bit XP Professional. I've tried vista, and although i enjoy the eyecandy.. Well i can get along without it. Other than that.. i honestly don't really like Vista, even though if you have high system specs, it can still bog your machine down a bit, meh... I just prefer XP, cuz usually if i'm reading a guide for something, or something about drivers, it will say "There are problems running this on vista" Plus the whole "Deny or Allow" program gets to be a pissoff after a while, i mean.. for the first little bit it's fine but then it just gets annoying. BUT!

What i do like about Vista, was the ReadyBoost feature, it was pretty sweet.
Studio Madcrow
I would avoid 64-bit XP at all costs. Driver support is truly terrible and you'll find that many programs just plain won't run with it/ With hardwrae like yours, Vista shouldn't be a problem, though if you can wait until October and are a student, you might want to spring for Windows Server 2008, which Microsoft will be giving away through its DreamSpark program.
[FuN]goku
Studio Madcrow wrote:
I would avoid 64-bit XP at all costs. Driver support is truly terrible and you'll find that many programs just plain won't run with it/ With hardwrae like yours, Vista shouldn't be a problem, though if you can wait until October and are a student, you might want to spring for Windows Server 2008, which Microsoft will be giving away through its DreamSpark program.

Err, correct me if im wrong... but isnt 64 bit, the only way to have the full 4 gig of ram detected? Maybe i misheard something my dad told me.. but i thought thats what he told me.
Ghost Rider103
[FuN]goku wrote:
Studio Madcrow wrote:

Err, correct me if im wrong... but isnt 64 bit, the only way to have the full 4 gig of ram detected? Maybe i misheard something my dad told me.. but i thought thats what he told me.

Sort of. You can still have a true 4GB system, your Task Manager just will not show it, but you can go over two.

I actually fniished my computer last week. I went with 8GB instead of four, because it wasn't that much more expensive to upgrade. I also went with XP. I figured if I truly needed Vista in the future, I can just upgrade it if needed.

I am pretty impressed with the system.
Variablez
Windows XP will be cheaper and less buggier, Vista, the opposite. Make a choice ;p
logic123
You see, since you are going to have 4gb RAM, you need a 64bit operating system. As you should know, 32 bit operating systems can have a maximum of 3gb ram... As the XP 64bit operating system was a beta test version, and Vista 64bit is full fledged, if you knew what was good for you you would go with vista. Besides, the vista ultimate operating system only takes up around 500mbs of ram in the background. With a 2gb vista I could run autodesk 3ds max 2009, newtek lightwave 3d, autodesk maya 2008, vue 6 xstream infinite, 3d canvas, google sketchup, serif 3d plus, and adobe after effects cs3. Also, I could run the entire adobe master collection cs3 suite, which was a MEMORY HOG!!! YOu really won't have any problems with 4gb ram in terms of memory, but you have a very spacious video card to back that up. You really will need the whole gb if you plan to use the above programs. Wink Crying or Very sad Laughing Surprised Cool Smile Very Happy Arrow Idea Question Exclamation Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink Crying or Very sad Embarassed Razz Mad Shocked Confused Cool Laughing Surprised Sad Smile Very Happy Very Happy Confused Confused Confused Shocked Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink
welshsteve
I wouldn't build my own Vista machine just yet. Mainly due to the hardware requirements etc. If money is no object, then yeah go for it.
ramzzhakim
neji wrote:
Ghostrider, I just bought my new pc. I'll give you a screenshot of the specs.
Vista 64bit (ultimate) works great on it.

(Prices are in EURO - total: 2800$)

I absolutely detest Vista. Seriously you can have 4 gigs of RAM but Vista eats 2 anyway so the performance gain is negligible, plus it's windows vista, might as well just go with something better like 64 bit windows XP or 64bit Linux. I have used Vista and XP so I can, from exp., say that Vista is terrible.
internetjobs
hi..

dont waste your ram usage in putting vista. XP is very good.. this is my suggestion..
Kelcey
It's funny. I was selecting stuff for my new laptop and Vista was cheaper than XP. So I went with Vista. BIG mistake on my part. It's not like Vista is "friggin' horrible" or anything. XP just runs much better with limited resources (like laptops).
Jaan
It really depends on whether or not you need to use programs that run better on XP/Vista or vice versace.

I hope you're gonna run RAID backup on your 2 drives... and for stability you can't beat Windows XP SP3.
Fire Boar
Jaan wrote:
and for stability you can't beat Windows XP SP3.

Possibly, but SP3 has the most hardware incompatibilities of any update to Windows, ever. Don't risk installing SP3 over SP2 unless you know it's going to work.
leosthenerd
windows vista or "vistaids" as my friends call it, sucks...you should definitely go with windows XP sp3. Wink
ianlacy
XP & Linux all the way... or if ur a Linux hater....just XP

Vista is horrible. You are going to have so many bug problems with it and it uses and requires so many resources it shouldn't need. There are so many driver issues. And software written for Xp doesn't always work on Vista. More often than not it does work....but way less then well with many bugs.

Stick with XP
jeremyp
According to the MSDN web site, 32 bit Vista can only use up to 4Gb physical RAM. Furthermore, your Video memory plus some other bits and pieces has to be mapped into your processor's physical address space. With a 1 Gb graphics card, that means you can use a maximum of about 3Gb.

There's no point in putting more than 4Gb of memory in an Intel based computer that will only run a 32 bit OS. This is a fundamental limitation of the way the CPU translates virtual addresses to physical addresses, namely the physical address only has 32 bits.
devaco
I use now Vista and i am happy with it ,,,,so I love Vista.....
But just try it ,,,,,Try and Error..........
Studio Madcrow
If you've got a 64-bit CPU and enough RAM to make it worth running in 64-bit mode, go for Vista. Otherwise, stick with XP.
Ghost Rider103
I can run 64-bit if I wanted to, but not all of the programs I run are compatible with 64-bit, so I had to stick with 32-bit.

I don't see what all the Vista haters are talking about. I used Vista for over a year, never had one error problem with anything. The thing ran perfect for over a year until it got a virus. It took up more RAM than XP, but it was a lot faster if you are just using it for basic web browsing and such.

I went with XP because I wanted the extra couple hundread MB's that I can get out of XP that I cannot get with Vista.

So I've already went with XP, and am still happy with it.
Kaseas
I'd say go with vista. It's not as bad as ppl say, i use it and love it.
aningbo
i dont understand why people fuze about windows vista so much. got for x64 and get extra RAM too if u can effort
Nolt
WinXP use not more than 3.2GB RAM, also XP dont use properly xCore processors so... If you want get all power from your PC, Vista or futured Win7 is for you or Linux of course. XP is for ppl who use less than 3GB RAM...
ParsaAkbari
I seriously reccomend XP mainly because vista offers little tools that help "newbies" in the computer world, if you have reached the stage where you can assemble your own computers, you are well out of the "newbie" stage. Congrats Very Happy
Flakky
I should go for the vista home premium. 4GB of ram is still a lot. I am actually curious about your processor.
chartcentral
I guess you can maximize your new computer's capabilities when you use Windows Vista. Then you can go for the "more promising" Windows 7 when it's already out for final release. Smile
guru09
Vista is for people who like to experience new things, new changes. Xp is for many people who want a stable, more compatible operating system. All games run on XP without any issues. Security wise, xp SP3 is the way to go. It also uses much less ram than vista. Speaking of ram, my sisters laptop has vista and she has 1gb of ram, the vista used up 400mb. My xp OS uses 96mb ram. so there is a huge difference. Stick with XP period.
jackill
Maybe Windows 7? It should be avaible soon Smile
weableandbob
As of now, I would say XP over the bloated piece of crap called Vista, although Windows 7 looks great, so you might want to wait a little longer for that.
CosmicDisturbance
Xp.

Vista would run well on that much ram, but XP would be amazingly fast. Do it.
manlear
First of all your Hard Drive size doesn't really matter if your choosing an Operating system, as long as you have enough to hold the O.S on it. I would personally go with Vista... if your Graphics/R.a.M/Pocketbook isn't that great go with 32 bit vista. If your going strong on those subjects above go with 64 bit. I personally am running on 32 bit because i am 14 and cannot afford 64bit.
carlospro7
Kelcey wrote:
It's funny. I was selecting stuff for my new laptop and Vista was cheaper than XP. So I went with Vista. BIG mistake on my part. It's not like Vista is "friggin' horrible" or anything. XP just runs much better with limited resources (like laptops).

Haha, makes sense why they would price Vista cheaper than XP.
Fire Boar
Just goes to show that when paying for things: you get what you pay for. Fortunately Free Software is completely different.
georgeodowd
Everyone's got their opinions, but after trying to help someone through the XP -> Vista transition crisis, I think you might want to stick with XP a while longer. Vista has a serious crash bug with most nvidia drivers, and upgrading to the 64bit IE means you lose your flash plugin and most applets (from what I've heard). Eye candy does not a better machine make. Macs: case in point.
babygeek
second what georgeodowd said. imo, best to stick to xp (and skip vista) till windows 7 (or whatever future windows version) gets better.
Tuvitor
XP. Vista was a flaming turd. Or just wait until the RC of Windows 7 and use that.