FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is it cool for guys to write.... gasp.. poetry?

Is it cool for guys to write.... gasp.. poetry?
Yes
96%
 96%  [ 29 ]
No
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

jabce85
Well, I do enjoy writing poetry when the occasion suits me, and yes, I am a guy... However, my topics are not about love and crap like that. I look at poetry like I look at a painting; it is something that takes time and talent to make something good. A lot of people like to just throw a whole bunch of nonsense together and call it a poem... there are people like that in the painting world as well, and they're called abstract and modern artists (that was a joke, please no comments about that).
brokenadvice
I guarantee for every person that makes fun of you there is a hot chick somewhere who is impressed with your poems.
Wuppie
Why does it have to be cool?
dbershevits
Yes, Wuppie is right. why do you care what other people think? Its your life. You can do it if you like. Noone can stop you but yourself. So yes its really cool.
ProfessorY91
Quote:
Yes, Wuppie is right. why do you care what other people think? Its your life. You can do it if you like. Noone can stop you but yourself. So yes its really cool.

Yes, it is your life. No, what you think doesn't necessarily make something cool. When something is "cool" they usually judge coolness on everyone elses account. What you think, personally, doesn't matter when trying to be cool.

Example: You do drugs because you think its cool. Many ppl out there don't consider doing drugs cool. Are you cool? No. You're dying. Idea

But I agree: What other people think doesn't matter.
jabce85
haha, thanks for the replies everyone.. and no, i am not worried about what other people think, i just wanted to hear opinions on the subject since people are more inclined to say what they think in the fantasy world commonly known as the internet.. call it a little experiment of mine

and i used "cool" because that seems to be the stereotypical word used when people are vying for attention, in this case an online forum, in order to attract people to comment on the question

thanks for the comments!
Sphaerenkern
No, Poetry is gay!
Cool is stuff like Vanilla Ice, big sunglasses and baseballcaps worn backwards.
Without being sarcastic or over-simplyfying, of course...
Nameless
I would say that a majority of people would consider poetry not to be "cool" for guys (or girls, for that matter), but as has been said always taking into consideration what the majority think when acting will lead to a very empty life indeed, so just do what you will.

Oh, and I disagree with this:
jabce85 wrote:
I look at poetry like I look at a painting; it is something that takes time and talent to make something good. A lot of people like to just throw a whole bunch of nonsense together and call it a poem...
'
I write poetry occasionally (and according to a few people I've shown it's of moderate talent), and some of the better poems that I've written were just 'thrown together' when the inspiration struck, without any planning or even knowing where I was going with them while writing most of it.
jcvincent75
I don't see anything wrong for guys to write poetry. Poetic guys are rare in this world. Just look at how many people are in this world and just how many people can write poetry among the entire population of this world? If the world's population will be divided into two - the poetics and the not poetics, then poetics will be the lesser half - and you're part of that lesser half.

I wrote a poem once and I really feel good about it. It's a new way of expressing ourselves and use our skills and creativity.

So if someone tells you that writing a poem is not cool, then I guess that someone is part of the greater half of the population.

Cheers!
sondosia
I love it when guys write poetry. I'm a girl (and I write poetry), and I always find it easier to connect with a guy if he shares that trait with me.

Poetry tends to make people more self-reflective and in tune with themselves, and those people are always a pleasure to know, no matter what gender.
joostvane
I personally don't write poetry (alot), but sometimes when I'm in the mood I think about it, and build up something in my mind.

I know some guys (and girls) who write poems, and I think its both 'cool'. Mostly of the time girls express it, and guys keep it more quiet though.
blk3
There is nothing that impresses a girl more than a guy who knows how to write poems. Its nothing to be ashamed about, it doesn't make you any less of a man, and besides not everyone can do it.
ddukki
I don't know about you guys, but poetry is just another form of expression. I hear a lot of poetry sometimes in the way people talk. It's the matter of writing down the important stuff and then making it sound ... pretty? If painting weren't visual, it'd be poetry.

If guys can paint without feeling un-cool, guys can write poetry.

My apologies if this is irrelevant.
jsarnold
As a writer, I am paid to use words creatively in order to convey an idea, a meaning, a thought or an impression. Sometimes that involves humour, sometimes casual conversational language and sometimes poetry.

But, for me personally, unless I am told by the client which form of writing is required, the actual structure, tone, and linguistic charateristics seemto make themselves known through the initial development of the writing. I have sometimes set out to write prose, and it has turned into poetry - and of course, the other way round.

To me, words are wanting to escape into the world, and they dictate to me how they wish to be realised. Forcing them into unwelcome frames seems only to quash any sense of truth that might have been present.

For this reason, I rarely sit down with a pad of paper and decide to write poetry. In fact, I rarely sit down with a pad and decide to write anything. The ideas usually itch away in my mind until they become unbearable, and a pad and pen become necessary means by which to relieve the itch!

I would suggest that if you are considering sitting down, whether male or female, and trying to write a poem, don't. It was the way our teachers told us to work - thou shalt write a ten line stanza by 11am. Real creativity isn't like that. Simply take a walk, find inspiration somewhere, and let the words come to you.

I always carry a pad and a pan with me at all times, and when a thought, a phrase, an impression or an image strikes me, I write it down, and then try to forget it.

If it was any good, then over the next few days my unconscious will fiddle with the idea, and sometimes discard it - but occasionally the grain becomes too large to ignore, and becomes an obsession, until perhaps a pearl is formed.

That's being a little extreme perhaps - forgive me. but the point is this - don't force words - let them come to you, in whichever way they choose.

And no one suggested Shakespeare was weak at expressing himself the way he did.
honeyflash
blk3 wrote:
There is nothing that impresses a girl more than a guy who knows how to write poems. Its nothing to be ashamed about, it doesn't make you any less of a man, and besides not everyone can do it.

Thank you, my words exactly. Smile
Unfortunately I never knew a guy does this, but I'd love to meet one. Sounds super hot. Wink
Guelila
I guess more girls will "think it's cool" than boys.
I mean, I personally am not a big fan of poetry, but I know that lots of girls in my school appreciate poetry, so...
Diablosblizz
Cool is a figure of speech. You can't be classified as "cool." What you do makes you who you are, and if somebody can't accept that then they are not truly your friend. If your cool or not makes no difference, do what you feel and what you like makes you cool.

I have a list of things that I could go rambling on about, like smoking at teenage years. It's "cool" to smoke. WOW! Killing yourself, YOUR COOL! I just don't understand how smoking is cool, or doing drugs for this matter. It makes no sense at all!

Smile
Shewolf
honeyflash wrote:
blk3 wrote:

Thank you, my words exactly. Smile
Unfortunately I never knew a guy does this, but I'd love to meet one. Sounds super hot. Wink

Haha, well I am sure agreeing on this one.
As mentioned above, not everyone is able to put together words, and making them become verses Smile
the-blurb
Well I think the poll results say it all really. But "cool" is a very specific word. If you mean "cool" as in does it make you more appealing then it really depends on the individual, but if you mean "cool" as in 'okay' then definitely... Poetry has this kind of stigma about it now as being soppy love stuff and a mamby pamby doesn't-really-mean-anything form of art, but really it's a highly complicated, very rewarding, and incredibly interesting past time and anyone who delves in to it gets a pat on the back from me. Shame on school English lessons for taking all of the joy out of it, though.
Xaferrow
Not cool, but romantic. i think
warriorpoets
Definitely cool. Poetry, lyrics, songs... creativity is always cool. Anyone who tells you otherwise knows not the meaning of the word, 'cool'.
georgeodowd
I think the ability to write well improves my general impression of someone, regardless of gender. I'm not a big fan of poetry typically, unless its satirical, but I used to know someone who wrote pretty amazing ones. I say, if you want to write something, popular opinion be damned. The world needs more decent authors.
tchaunt
"Cool" is a state of relativity. It doesn't exist as the same thing for two people. Every person views "cool" in their own way.
Honestly, I see a cool person as someone who can be themselves and have fun doing it. Plus, to be cool, you can't put others down to feel better about yourself. Personally, I write poetry all the time. I mainly write macabre/emo poetry. For me, that genre is one of the coolest genres.
The one member who said "no" views cool as being a gansta'. Personally, I think the "gangsta'" style is one of the most obnoxious styles I've ever seen. But Sphaerenkern has rights to think the style is cool.
So don't worry about. In my opinion, the world needs more poets. Poetry has been the best peace treaty ever used. Anything that can do so much, and destroy so little should be practiced by every person alive. Poetry is the base of all art and I think you should write poetry until you die...and possibly a bit longer after that. Smile
TurtleShell
the problem with poetry is that most people who write it (myself included) write it badly. It would be hard for me to say that just anyone who writes poetry is "cool"... I definitely wouldn't give it a blanket statement. It's alright to know you write bad poetry and not to profess to be a poet, but most poetry is juvenile, awkward, and embarrassing, and most people who write it don't seem to realize that they're not very good at their art. Obviously this is all relative, but I think poetry is the most difficult of all mediums for effective expression. I would never try to stilt someone else's creativity, but when I hear people say they write "poetry", I cringe inside. Then I feel bad about it. I'm an artist, I'm supposed to be open and let the creativity flow and all that. My motto should be: bring it on. But, no. I'd rather not hear it, or hear about it.
officernarc
poetry isn't really cool or uncool. writing is just something you do if you enjoy it. if someone's going to dump on you because you enjoy doing something, then ****** them. it's not like they have to read it.
chartcentral
Yes, it is cool for guys to write poetry. Smile
bigt
georgeodowd wrote:
I think the ability to write well improves my general impression of someone, regardless of gender. I'm not a big fan of poetry typically, unless its satirical, but I used to know someone who wrote pretty amazing ones. I say, if you want to write something, popular opinion be damned. The world needs more decent authors.

I'm also not a big fan of poetry. I don't fault anyone for writing, and people should keep their opinions to themselves until asked. The world needs a lot more decent authors b/c creativity helps everyone. If nothing more than putting smiles on faces, creativity helps people.
The-Nisk
Writing portry is not cool. But that didn't stop me, I like to write poetry, so I did.

P.S. 'cool' is a very immature and misleading concept.
Street_Dog
It's not necessarily cool for a guy to write poetry, but it's not really cool for a girl to write it either. But when it's done properly poetry is a fantastic form of writing.

And the people at the very top of poetry are mostly men i.e Keats, Shakespeare, and two of my own personal favourites, John Montague and Philip Larkin (although he IS a miserable old gonk!)
Noremac
I studied literature all through late high school, and liked it, but I never enjoyed any part as much as I enjoyed poetry.

At first I questioned my sexuality, until some of the girls in my class read some of my work and melted over me.

Also it helped with my songwriting(I'm in a band) and I still do it just for fun.

I don't see anything wrong with it.
imera
There are many types of poetry, some I think is just over worked, or just annoying for me, that has to be the depressed people that write how much they wish to die, how life and the world sucks and that sort of things.

I think the ability to write, and write well is great, doesn't mater if it's a story or poetry, as long as you are good then the genre doesn't mater. Take for instant movie genres, I like some genres and don't even bother about others, but do I find a great movie whit the genre I don't like that is well written then it's wonderful.

And if you are a guy and manage to write great poetry, this goes for the girls to, then it's great, because poetry is something anyone can just put together.

I guess it's considered even 'cooler' if you are in a band and write the music, but even there you have to have some talent at writing.
deanhills
I don't understand the question. Some of the greatest poets of the world are men. One of my favourite poets is DH Lawrence. As far as I can tell he was a real man's man. Who happened to be gifted as a poet.
Joanne
Quote:
No, Poetry is gay!
Cool is stuff like Vanilla Ice, big sunglasses and baseballcaps worn backwards.

O...
M...
G...
Such ideas for the word "cool".
But am not going to disagree with those on the exemption of one.
Poetry is SO not gay.
Even if it was a guy who made it, and believe me, guys can wxpress their feelings more freely in writing; Hence: Poems.
Omega-hotelomega
Joanne wrote:
Quote:
No, Poetry is gay! Cool is stuff like Vanilla Ice, big sunglasses and baseballcaps worn backwards.

O...
M...
G...
Such ideas for the word "cool".
But am not going to disagree with those on the exemption of one.
Poetry is SO not gay.
Even if it was a guy who made it, and believe me, guys can wxpress their feelings more freely in writing; Hence: Poems.

Many great poets have been homosexual actually dear .. that doesn't make them any less manly..
BTW Vanilla Ice ??? Are you stuck in some kind of 80's timewarp ?? Very Happy
soniat
The academic work tips gives the student the know how of writing the papers from one step to the other thus improving the performance of the students. Last week i have planned to buy term papers online due to my lack of academic writing skills. Successful academic writers do not only have good writing skills but also the format and organization of the academic work is perfect.
jamesparker
Yes it is cool. It is an ability.
Electrofruit
Why do you thing that, through history, poetry has been used as a weapon to seduce women? Because it works!

Poetry being ditched is something from the XX century. Throughout all history poetry has been considered one of the most important arts, and an important help to write songs.

Also, it is one of the cheapest arts you can use: You only need a paper and a pen.
loveandormoney
jabce85 wrote:
Well, I do enjoy writing poetry when the occasion suits me, and yes, I am a guy... However, my topics are not about love and crap like that. I look at poetry like I look at a painting; it is something that takes time and talent to make something good. A lot of people like to just throw a whole bunch of nonsense together and call it a poem... there are people like that in the painting world as well, and they're called abstract and modern artists (that was a joke, please no comments about that).

You can meet 100 men.
99 are not interested in literature.
But the one can make u happy.

Take him.
amybugbee8
I love poetry. I'am a writer
loveandormoney
What kind of poetry are You writing? Do You write it down also?
ratanegra
Why not? Hahaha, unless you live in a very stereotypical and chauvinist home, I don't think there could ever be a problem with guys writing poetry. In fact, so many poems have been historically written by guys that I think that the question can be answered by remembering Shakespeare, Rousseau, et. al.

I myself have written poetry on quite a few occasions and I've impressed some gals and guys with them, so I'm proud to be one of the rightdoers in the world.