FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how to set up a server

xiaarra
hi,
i dont know if this goes in this thread or in tutorial thread, but since this is about software i put it here.
i wanted to know how to set up a php and sql server.
i have an ftp server and i have played around with IIS. PHP worked when i tried. but im stumped with sql.
i dont have much bandwidth. 128kbps that too with a daily limit of 150 mb
i just want to try this for educational purpose.
Could someone tell me how to go about it? I tried following some steps, but when it comes to mysql im stumped....
thanks in advance.
n0obie4life
www.easyphp.org Wink
kimia
If you want to setup a localhost server , you can use wamp.
wamp (windows apache mysql php) is an open source software.
But i don't know it completely .
if anyone has worked with wamp , please learn us.
warriordude
you can also youse phpnuke
that's simpel Cool
simplyw00x
Quote:
you can also youse phpnuke
that's simpel Cool

When you're that stupid, why bother posting? He's asking about adding PHP to his home web server, and you recommend a shite product that not only requires PHP to operate (the thing he was asking about, Einstein) but is also a waste of time to use. Thanks, Captain Lobotomy.
xiaarra
Thanks for your suggestions, i tried Wamp server. it seemed to work, but when i tried to access it through my ip address instead of using local host, it didnt seem to work... any suggestions?
alwi_frih
I would suggest you download PHPTriad. Its a package that contains Apache, PHP, and MySQL plus PHPMyAdmin.

This package is easy to install and has an easy control-panel to manage your server.

To download PHPTriad, you can go to www.phpgeek.com

Good Luck Wink

ALWI
alwi_frih
xiaarra wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions, i tried Wamp server. it seemed to work, but when i tried to access it through my ip address instead of using local host, it didnt seem to work... any suggestions?

I guess your server is behind firewall or proxy. It might not in your local system but possible in your ISP or somewhere in the network. Some time ago I use a web-tool in www.dyndns.org to check if I am behind proxy/firewall.

If the proxy/firewall is in your system, make sure that the port being used for HTTP request (usually port 80) is open for incoming request. Or you can also set your webserver to whatever port that is openend for incoming request.

Good Luck Wink

ALWI
xiaarra
Quote:
I guess your server is behind firewall or proxy. It might not in your local system but possible in your ISP or somewhere in the network. Some time ago I use a web-tool in www.dyndns.org to check if I am behind proxy/firewall.

i am not behind firewall or proxy.. i had been able to access my server when i used bulletproof ftp and IIS. so thats not the reason. i read somewhere that Wamp is for testing or something. not sure if that would cause a problem.[/quote]
alwi_frih
I am not familiar with WAMP, may be if it was built for testing purposes they intentionally disable access from outside network.

Try carefully read the Apache Config on your system, there might be someting you can set to disable/enable access from outside. May be under <OPTION> or <DIRECTORY>

Good Luck Wink

ALWI
budazz
i suggest easyphp at http://www.easyphp.org xampps i forgot...the site...im using both Very Happy
izcool
I haven't ever tried the site I'm going to add to the list of suggestions, but it might be useful to someone reading. Very Happy

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/

- Mike.
mwm
Are you able to get to your site by IP Address yet?

-what does http://localhost do when tried from your PC?

-If using apache, is apache.exe llisted in your process list (ctrl-alt-delete, task man)?

-Are you using the correct IP Address (ipconfig /all in cmd window)?

-Is port 80 open? If not alter config to listen on 8080

-What exactly do you see when trying the IP and from where are you tring it by IP (local to lan or remote)?

I'm sure I can help you with a little more detail on your issue...

-mwm
mwm
xiaarra wrote:
Quote:

i am not behind firewall or proxy.. i had been able to access my server when i used bulletproof ftp and IIS. so thats not the reason. i read somewhere that Wamp is for testing or something. not sure if that would cause a problem.
[/quote]

And...

WAMP is not a 'server'. It is simply an acronym for several apps that work together in a web env. It stands for Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP. You dont install WAMP... You install Apache, MySQL and PHP on Windows.

You can simply install MySQL and PHP and use IIS as the web server also. I have done this on several Windos 2000 servers and seems to work nicely.

-mwm
xiaarra
Quote:
what does http://localhost do when tried from your PC?

im able to see the apache page
Quote:
-If using apache, is apache.exe llisted in your process list (ctrl-alt-delete, task man)?

i dont know. i didnt check that. i have uninstalled it now.
Quote:

-Are you using the correct IP Address (ipconfig /all in cmd window)?

yes
Quote:

-Is port 80 open? If not alter config to listen on 8080

Yes
Quote:
-What exactly do you see when trying the IP and from where are you tring it by IP (local to lan or remote)?

I'm sure I can help you with a little more detail on your issue...

when i try using the ip, i get a cannot find server

i am glad you would be able to help. but right now i am going to shift.
so i wont be able to check it for sometime.
i would be grateful if you could help me with this once i have set up my computer at my new place. i will be using another computer, coz this is at my home, and i am going to work at another place. please let me know if you would mind if i send you a pm once i have set up my computer and internet connection.
Thank you very much