You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Completeing a BS in Computer Science Difficult?

I know this thread has been done before but I am not sure how long ago it was posted.

I have found myself in the same situation as butross had in his post on that thread. I graduated back in 99 with an Associates in Information Systems Technology. I was even hired by a local company by chance before I graduated with a 24k salary. Everything was perfect. I decided after 3 years to try a BS in 3D Animation. I found out after a year I couldn't draw and went back home. My previous company downsized and didn't need me anymore. So after months of looking for a job I went in to truck driving across the country. After 4 years of that I am still stuck here and havn't found anything. I have been submitting resumes via internet for months now and havn't had a single call back. My problem like butross's is that I don't know where to find a job. I have tried the local employment agency as well as about 10 other employment sites such as, etc. I really have a hard time knowing what job to look for. My past job was IT Support. I just setup new computers, did some troubleshooting local and over the phone, messed around with netoworking very little (I hooked up computers to our network and moved around patch cables), ran company reports monthly, messed around a little with Microsoft Office. Most of the jobs that are listed on these sites are way out of my league and most require a BS in Computer Science. I am about sick of the transportation industry and feel that it is a waste of my degree when you can be a high school drop out and get this job.

My real question here other than where to find jobs in this field is how difficult is it to earn a BS in Computer Science coming from an Associates in Information Systems. I have no Calculus, Chemistry, or Physics experience and in my past degree I mainly learned to build/repair computers and how to use MS Office. I like math and problem solving but I have had to retake refresher math classes and I am not the best with it. I don't fail or anything I just tend to forget things if I don't use them all the time. Could be my ADHD not sure. Guess its like my two years of high school Spanish, I can't speak a sentance of it now at age 30. I have really been obsessed with video games and computers since I was born just about but I'm no genius. I have tried teaching myself programming C++ and understand the very basics I guess. I just didn't have anyone to help me learn and I would lose interest and forget everything. Same with playing guitar. I have tried making games in the past several times with no completion, which is why I tried getting into 3D animation.

I don't really need a job in games by the way. I just want to get out of trucking and back into computers so I have been thinking of going back to college and getting a BS in Computer Science. While my community college I went to was easier than high school I can only assume that UNCG will be more difficult. I am just wondering about what to expect if I sign up and how hard it will be. I have been told that there are tutors available if I fall behind and need help and there is also learning disability assistance available for my ADHD. While it may impede learning history or something boring I don't think it will effect me much with computers as I graduated with a 4.0 and Honors with my last degree. As for what type of job I am looking for I really don't know. I guess I could go for the tech support again as thats what I did but if I can get the hang of programming I might like that but who knows.

Anyway sorry for all the life history stuff but maybe you all can give me some advice and point me in the right direction.
So I'm actually a Mathematics of Computing major (at a highly reputable UC) meaning I'm going into the scientific computing world (econ models, weather models, large number crunching, etc.), which is actually a lot more math than a C.S. major needs, but quite a few of my friends are CS or CS&E majors. Our lower division courses are identical, however. Let me tell you that getting into CS will definitely be a struggle for you if you haven't done any math or physics for a long time. What exactly do you need?

Calculus of Single Variables
Calculus of Multi-variables
Differential Equations
Linear Algebra
Discrete Mathematics

Pretty much all the lower division Physics courses.
Probably no or very little Chemistry if you're only doing CS.

It took me 2 years to get through 7 math courses, 3 physics courses, 2 physics labs, 1 general chem class, and let me tell you, it was difficult competing with all the Asian students in the UC system.

Whether or not you have the patience and motivation to get through these lower divs, you'll find out that required upper div C.S. courses have very little application in mainstream software development. That's where the C.S. major electives come in--you take what programming languages you think is best for the field you want to enter.

A lot of my friends who have entered the work force tells me that you need little experience in different languages, as long as you are familiar with Object Oriented Languages, since you learn most of what you use on the job. This is to say that the B.S. generally serves as a proof of discipline and core knowledge of OOPs and exposure to a variety of different languages, which is definitely more attractive than the self-taught programmer who often uses languages they are most comfortable with and lacks experience with others.

If I were you, I'd keep your day job and become very good at an OOP, whether it be C++ or Java or even C#--they're essentially the same anyway. Write enough quality programs I'm proud of and rebuild my resume from there-. There are way too many stories of self-taught programmers who have never taken a college physics course and have become extremely successful.

Then again, you can always go back to college and start from the ground up. What's the opportunity cost of doing so? Your situation is extremely difficult and I hope you make good choices from here on. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. No I haven't had any Calculus. Only Algebra and Geometry. As far as keeping my day job thats out of the question. I have to get out of this line of work. I only get 4 days off a month at home the rest of the time I am on the road. So I will never have time to get anything done. Especially on the computer. I have also tried to teach myself programming with no success. It's over my head without being in a class room enviroment with people I can ask if I need help. Its just not going to happen being a trucker.

I think for now I am pretty convinced that I am going to have to go back to school. And I just hope this degree will help with looking for a job.
I am a CS student at a reputable university. I tell you that a CS degree is perhaps the easiest science degree you can take. I mean, I am not that good at calculus, but for computer science you don't need calculus. You need logical (discrete) maths. You need the ability to think logically and you can succeed.

There is very little, if any, physics in computer science, certainly not the standard of Alevel physics.

The backbone to a computer science degree is programming. Everything you learn from CS, is somehow linked with programming. For instance, you learn about concurrency, OOP, maths of computer science, compilers, functionl programming (haskell, prolog) etc etc... all of these help u to become a better programmer. So if you are very good at programming (i.e. with a background in C++ or Java -- a OO language) then u will find it easy, or at least enjoy it.

If you hate programming, then certainly computer science is not for u.
It's certainly possible to sign up for courses at a local college as a non-matriculated student. If you do well in them, sometimes it will give you an in on actually trying to matriculate.
It's not hard if you apply yourself. Like anything worthwhile in life, you get out what you put in. A lot of my friends were able to just pass through the CS program (also at a UC)... but that's all they did. They just passed. Then there were others that worked hard and set the curve. So to answer your question... getting the degree is easy. But you should keep in mind that your gpa still matters a whole lot (for grad school and some employers).