FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Snowboard

reggan
Anyone here snowboards like me? =]

I have been snowboarding since I was 12 years old, but I never had the chance to really get into it since I would go just a certain amount of days per season (maybe 4-5 weeks). Still one of my fave sports though!
Aeonxxx
I really like Snowboarding as well. I started with my dad when I was 5, didn't do all that well. But I eventually got better.
jwellsy
How do you determine what size snowboard to get?
thejam
Yeah snowboarding is wicked! I've been boarding since i was a kid too. I've been in France, Austria, Italy, Chech republic, and Japan.

If you are looking what kind of board to pick. You should check your size, weight and preferable snowboardstyle. (like: freestyle/freeride/all-round/slalom)
KatanaSky
I have never gone snowboarding but it's definitely something I would like to try one day.

When it came down to two things I could possibly try in the future between skiing and snowboarding, I was always for snowboarding. ;D
freeshann
I snowboard and my husband snowboards, I suck, but my husband is pretty good. But anyway, we have a 2 year old (will be 3 next winter) and we were thinking of starting him off. Can you start kids snowboarding at that age? or do you need to start with skis and move up to snowboards when they get bigger?
Rico
Storm edge Ski and Snowboard region is situated in the Olympic nationwide commons, 17 miles south of harbor Angeles, Washington, single of merely three residual raise operation in the countrywide Parks. Increasing a mile far above the ground, gale point offers chill leisure and behavior and skin winter vistas supreme wherever in the soothing Northwest. It is a little, relations leaning ski district, gift to inhabitants and company comparable a excellence winter sports education knowledge, with no the elevated expenditure or overcrowding of the majority ski areas. The crest boasts a number of groomed areas, but for the talented skier or snowboarder the steeps, dinner service and glades are healthy value the attempt it takes to trek present. By means of a summit distance from the ground of 40 feet, the regular yearly snowstorm is 4-plus inches.
imera
Would love to snowboard, strange that I haven't tried since we have snow a lot here, but I guess it's because I don't have any snowboard, no possibility to rent one so I don't want to spend a lot of money on that, and the places where I can rent from are too far away, damn.

But I'll probably try it out, and fall on my ass a lot, that will be fun. I just hate skiing, it's too boring around here, the same path that many hundred has gone before me, boring.
pspnl
snowboard is funny Wink
izeigler
Snowboading is a good time. I've only been a couple times, and I'm not very good at it, but I love being up in the mountains.

Any of you been out in the backcountry of Utah or in Coppor Colorado to do some snowriding (skiing or snowboarding)?
jwellsy
thejam wrote:

If you are looking what kind of board to pick. You should check your size, weight and preferable snowboardstyle. (like: freestyle/freeride/all-round/slalom)

Check them againt what kind of guidelines?

Quote:
we have a 2 year old (will be 3 next winter) and we were thinking of starting him off. Can you start kids snowboarding at that age? or do you need to start with skis and move up to snowboards when they get bigger?

Comparing snowboarding and skiing is sort of like trying to compare the differences between water skiing on one vs two water skis. Being on one ski is harder, more dangerous and more fun. One ski is great for young people in excellent health.

I know several parents that take both snowboards and skis for their kids. The kids want to just ride the snowboard. But the parents makes them start the day on skis for a few hours. Then at lunch or whatever they are allowed to switch over to the snowboard. They want their kids to be proficient on both ski's and snowboards. Then when they get older they won't be limited to just one or the other.

Quote:
Any of you been out in the backcountry of Utah or in Coppor Colorado

I've been to every resort in the big and little Cottonwood Canyons East of SLC, Sundance and Park City in Utah. Vail and Beaver Creek in Colorado. I've already got a ski trip planned to take a train ride to Winter Park/MaryJane for a week long trip this year.

I would reccommend that everyone Goggle for ski clubs in their area. Ski clubs are tons of fun.
dbershevits
I have never been snowboarding, but I want to. Is it difficult or dangorus?
jwellsy
Plan on taking lessons the first time you go.
Do not let your buddies take you up to the top of the hill and abandon you without taking any lessons. That's a cruel trick some people play on newbies not ready for it.
uday
Yes it can be difficult and dangerous :p. Some people pick it up faster than others. Take lessons, and do not try to learn from your GF/BF like the previous poster said. Most importantly, Do Not Give Up.
dude_xyx
I have never tried this but this is something I always wanted to do.

accountgog
yeah I like snowboarding !! Very Happy
Mennoj1
I have never tried snowboarding.
Phaphwned
I prefer skiing more than snowboarding. Snowboarding just seems a little awkward.
malcolmpreen
Having skied for 3 seasons, we tried snowboarding, and found it really difficult.

However, what I'm told is that skiing is easy to start, but hard to be an expert... whilst boarding is hard to start... but easier to master....

We'll see....

Malcolm
driftingfe3s
I just wend snowboarding for the first time this past Monday at Mammoth in California. I didn't go to the bunny slopes to learn and just attacked the mountain like a crazy man, of course I didn't go to the advanced courses just the beginner and intermediate ones later.

Because of this I took quite a bunch of falls and bruised some inter costal muscles near my right ribs and have a stiff neck. My friend also went over a patch of ice coming down the mountain, lost control and plowed right into me. I wasn't hurt becuase he hit my boots and he was trying to break and i just flew up and over him and didn't feel any pain at all from the impact. Despite all this crazyness I had tons of fun and can't wait to go again.
SRBuckey5266
I want to snowboard one day, it seems fun. I will have to try it someday, is it hard? I know it's fun! Cool
jwellsy
On a snowboard you don't fall down, you SLAM!
youandmephotography
It's true, snowboarding can be considered more dangerous than skiing, but whatever. Both of them have the same risks, it's just what you start out on. I have been skiing since I was about 4 or 5, and last year I broke my wrist snowboarding (1st time, never again =P).

However, if you take lessons first instead of going up with your fellow ski instructor buddies on the blue trails to start snowboarding, then you reduce the risk of injury by a large amount.

I find that skiing gives you a bit more comfortability if you're just starting out, as many of the clients I teach seem to grasp it faster than snowboarding, which requires patience, advil, and a lot of learning.

I enjoy park skiing more than the double blacks or what have you, as tricks and rails are fun to do, even though I can only 360 and do rails (haven't tried to C-rail or handrail yet).

Again, in my opinion, if you catch an edge of ice on skis, you have that extra ski to possibly help you recover. If you catch an edge while on a snowboard, you're pretty much toast.