FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How would you greet in the covering letter?

prithvi
Say, for example, you send a covering letter to an HR person.
How would you address that person without knowing the sex of that person beforehand?

It would be better to try and get to know who the concerned person is and maybe address that person directly by name. It would reach out better

But when I have no clue about the person, I follow the ageold 'Dear Sir/Madam'.

What do you do, in this kind of a situation?
Any reasonable and novel ideas here? Anyone?

How about 'Dear human' Laughing
deanhills
I generally leave that line out, as depending who will be reading the covering letter, they may not be comfortable with the dear sir/madam parts. What I would do is just have the Re: .... line giving the title of the job, i.e. Application for Mathematics Teacher (Ref: XXXX) And then under the re: line start immediately below with the content letter with the first paragraph - Thank you for your advertisement xyz in the xyz of xyz. ....
prithvi
hmm......looks logical and convenient.
Though not sure whether cover letters without a greeting to start with, would be good idea.

All sample letters flowing today look like everyone knows everyone, if you know what I mean.
flowerpower
I wrote up my cover letter with a "Dear Sir/Madam" as opening, under the "Re:" line. It went ok. I think it's better to greet the recipient, than to be blunt. Anyway, best of luck for your application! Smile
deanhills
prithvi wrote:
hmm......looks logical and convenient.
Though not sure whether cover letters without a greeting to start with, would be good idea.

All sample letters flowing today look like everyone knows everyone, if you know what I mean.

I am mostly on the receiving end of covering letters and in my line of work have to scrutinze on-line applications. The covering letter does not really mean a lot to me. I usually start with the CV first looking for the qualifications and experience as set out in the advertisement. Think that would be the most important part to focus on, i.e. that the content of the CV matches the spcifications set out in the advertisement for the position. I have so many materials to work through that my eyes usually go straight to the crux of the covering letter after I have scanned through the CV. Most of the covering letters do not say much but if I think about it my eye does not really worry whether the letter has been addressed to anyone specific. It is too busy with looking for vital information.
jwellsy
I use something like
"XYZ Company, John Doe from San Diego here".

Then be sure and repeat back every keyword and tricky phrase that appeared in the listing and give examples of each one.