FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Drummers, what are you working on right now?

David_Pardy
I'm only posting this because I've run out of points :p

But seriously, as I enjoy stealing ideas from other drummers as much as I love helping out other drummers, let's share ideas!

Anyway, right at the moment I'm finishing off learning Alien Hip Hop by Virgil Donati from his book, and I've nearly got it nailed note for note. Matching Virgil's amazing dynamic control is quite difficult, so I don't know if it'll sound exactly how he plays it but hopefully I'll be as close as possible!!

Apart from that, my practise regime starts off with a couple of warm ups of linear patterns with my hands and feet, each of which I play as I've written below and then I reverse the sticking to a left hand lead)

RH RF LF LH RF LF

RH LF LH RF

RH RF LF RF LF LH RF LF RF LF

I also do a simple rock beat while playing 16th note RLR LRL RLR LRL with my feet.

I then do the following patterns:

16th triplets + 1/8th triplets with the feet along to an 1/8th note rock beat

RLR L R L R LRL R L R L, and then I reverse the pattern, and when I'm happy with it I shift the 16th triplets ahead one, so the next time around it's played:

R LRL R L R L RLR L R L
R L RLR L R L R LRL R L
R L R LRL R L R L RLR L
R L R L RLR L R L R LRL
R L R L R LRL R L R L RL

Then I do the same thing, but with 16th notes + 32nd notes:

RLR L R LRL R L
R LRL R L RLR L
R L RLR L R LRL
R L R LRL R L RL

I'm also working on linear patterns out of Gary Chaffee's Sticking Patterns book which to be honest, ALL drummers need to own and practise.

I'm applying linear patterns and other ostinatoes to the lead hand along with the rock beats and shuffle beats in Chris Brien's book "Progressive Rhythms" (which is also a must-have book)

And once I'm doing working on Alien Hip Hop, I will continue my jazz drumming practise, which consists of going through Jim Chapin's "Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer". Which is also a must-have book for all drummers Wink