FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Are the people of the world getting smarter or dumber?






Are people getting smarter or dumber?
Smarter
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
Staying the same: Some areas smarter, some dumber
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
Dumber
33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
I'm so special that I can vote in polls!
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 27

ocalhoun
I'm wondering what other peoples' opinions on this are, because I can't really decide for myself.

We have more access to education, but we also have more machines doing thinking for us and more frying our brains watching daytime television...

So, is mankind becoming stupider, smarter, or some combination of the two?
Wuppie
A combination. The machines can't work if there are no people people that know how it works. But some people are getting dumber because they are already dumb.
ankitdatashn
I would start by mentioning that it is a misconception that we think human is the most intelligent creature, I belive it is not true, Humans are getting stupid day by day, the reson is that human is doing nothing to preserve nature and itself and doing everything to start the speed at which nature is being destroyed, some body truely mentiones that human will be remembered in time to come as a species that did everything to preserve everything but itself...I hope the message is loud and clear...
Afaceinthematrix
People are getting more knowledgeable because education is more widespread, but people are becoming less intelligent because no one knows how to think anymore.
[FuN]goku
Wuppie wrote:
A combination. The machines can't work if there are no people people that know how it works. But some people are getting dumber because they are already dumb.

Yeah I'll have to agree with what you said.
joharin
[FuN]goku wrote:
Wuppie wrote:
A combination. The machines can't work if there are no people people that know how it works. But some people are getting dumber because they are already dumb.

Yeah I'll have to agree with what you said.


Long before machines were created, people used their only minds and brains to do anything and everything in their lives. They learned from what they saw/heard/tasted. From there onwards, they developed a pattern to make life easier by inventing stuffs, one after another.

If we want to talk about creativity, then I guess our great great ancestors are far more creative than us.

But if we want to talk about improvisation, then our time nowadays are far more innovative than them. For example, take a look at how fast Japan is when duplicating things created in US such as tv and computers. Today US manufacturer launched a brand new sophisticated computer, and the very next day Japan manufacturer announced a brand new super-tech computer, with more features than the US one.

Now try to see the world from a different aspect of life - LOVE.

People never learn from history when it comes to LOVE.

Some committed suicide when they failed in LOVE.

Some even killed each other to possess their LOVE.

In other words, we don't develop any pattern in terms of emotion-wise.

LOVE is still something that we need to learn by ourselves.

It's trial and error.

Conclusion : If the world progress is measured on a line, our progress in achievements of anything is still not that far from the starting point....Wink

CHEERS!
wonderline
According to an article I once read, apparently our young generation's getting less smarter. Fewer people know their politics than opposed to say, people a few decades ago. Another example would be a decline in general knowledge, or a lack of interest in global matters.

There are still many young people who believe that the USA/Mexico border's the tightest in the world. -chuckles-

Yet, we're advancing in technology, and competition to enter universities is pretty damn high, if you ask me. Everyone's aiming to be better, to achieve their ambitions/goals; to be better than the person beside them.

I can't say for sure whether or not the human race is getting smarter/dumber, but I know for sure that we're advancing. Look at history - it's beautiful, but almost incomparable to today.
Gonzalo
So obvious that the last answer was going to over rule them all.
Simple sign we are getting all stupidier.
Wuppie
ankitdatashn wrote:
I would start by mentioning that it is a misconception that we think human is the most intelligent creature, I belive it is not true, Humans are getting stupid day by day, the reson is that human is doing nothing to preserve nature and itself and doing everything to start the speed at which nature is being destroyed, some body truely mentiones that human will be remembered in time to come as a species that did everything to preserve everything but itself...I hope the message is loud and clear...


You don't think humans are the most intellegent creature on earth? Then I think you're the evidence it's true. There is no other creature that comes close to the human intellegence.
HamsterMan
ankitdatashn wrote:
I would start by mentioning that it is a misconception that we think human is the most intelligent creature, I belive it is not true, Humans are getting stupid day by day, the reson is that human is doing nothing to preserve nature and itself and doing everything to start the speed at which nature is being destroyed, some body truely mentiones that human will be remembered in time to come as a species that did everything to preserve everything but itself...I hope the message is loud and clear...
There are alot of humans that try to preserve nature, but the ones that seek profit and thusly destroys it outnumber them greatly.

But besides that, without a clear definition of smart it is hard to say. The internet for example have made it extremely easy to gather a lot of knowledge about just about anything with a few keypresses.
Back in ye olde days you'd have to do your best to find everything you needed to know in books, or from other people.

I don't know where the notion that if we have machines that do everything for us, that that would make us dumber in any way, it might just mean that we ourself don't have to waste time on menial tasks, like solving math by hand, etc. On the other hand actually creating these machines require alot of knowledge, and other machines.
Nameless
ocalhoun wrote:
So, is mankind becoming stupider, smarter, or some combination of the two?


...

Hmm.

...

Yes!
Wolf1918
OK, in my opinion, the ''masses'' are becoming dumber.

Yes, there are the techs, engineers, scientists, etc, who are highly educated and who will keep all of our high-tech toys running smoothly. But when you talk about people in general, they are becoming dumber at an alarming rate.

Just a few hundred years ago, when most people could not even read, everyone had to rely on their memories. Names, addresses, directions, recipes, every little scrap of information had to be remembered. For example: Can we eat that plant or is it poison? If we can eat it, what time of the year is it ripe and ready to eat? How do we prepare it to eat it? How can we preserve it through the winter so we don't starve? How do I make a shelter? How do I make a fire without a match or Bic lighter? How do I sew a shirt? How do I ... whatever. EVERYTHING had to be remembered!

Then once most people were educated enough to at least be able to read and write, such knowledge could be written down. It's faster and easier to teach a larger number of people when things are written down but also you DON'T have to keep all that information in your memory. So that's one step toward dumber.

Now, today, I have friends who can't remember their best friend's phone number. Why not? because it's programmed into their cell phone and they don't have to remember it.

I guess I'm giving away my age a little (over 50), but I'm used to remembering my phone number, my friend's phone numbers, my work phone number, facts, figures, data, etc. I only just got a cell phone a few years ago Very Happy

The more high-tech toys we have to do things for us, the dumber we'll get, in general. But, on the other hand, there will always have to be those techs, engineers, scientists, etc. who can still think. ... That is until we come up with a machine that can create and repair the machines for us, then we're really gonna be screwed.

Just my 2 cents,
Chad
goutha
Smart and dumb people existed, are existing and will always exist.

Now, are our leaders smarter or dumber, this is a smarter question Smile
mewmewlazlo
The people making the world's major decisions are getting dummer, not so sure on people getting any smarter though.
KHO
In all things there will always be those who choose to neglect education. It's no secret that the education system in the US is a total joke, but in the same breath an education is what you make of it. if one chooses to copy someone else paper, or to otherwise cheat, then they deprive themselves of that educational opportunity.

I don't think its that we are progressively getting "dumber or smarter" its that we are progressively getting lazier. This laziness causes the youth to cheat their education, and as such they never receive the true opportunity to learn (of their own fault), and as such they are classified as ignorant for the sake that they did not learn it when they should have, and most likely never will because they are caught already in a cycle of laziness. In the US today, every man, woman and child seems to just lounge around in front of the TV or the computer. Is this necessarily frying brain cells and leading to a form of retardation? No. It simply encourages them to sit on their rear and neglect their duties.

The Mayans said that unless we abandon technology, the world would be doomed to destruction. Perhaps they foresaw that we would become so lazy, that everyone would stop caring about the earth, and stop trying to help it. Perhaps its already too late and all these "Green" movements we are doing now are simply too late.
FriBogdan
Everything counts as a progress... so in general people will get smarter. The problem is that if a country gets stronger economically ... the people in that area will get dumber Neutral. Imagine that your kids will study untill they will get a certain skill for a job well paid. If they can get money easily without getting smarter... they will prefer this easy way Smile
Jarco
the urge to click the last button was hard to resist lol
but i recon ppl in general are getting dumber.
Hunterofevil
definately dumber in the western parts of this world and smarter in the well developing countries
(China, India, etc....) Well lotsa rich american and european kids wasting their time imho.
I work at the university and some students evry year litterally ask they will have lotsa work
the next few months. Wow if thats the main interest .... guess watching tele is more exciting after all :d
coolclay
Great points ankitdatashn, and everyone else. I for one definitely think the majority is getting stupider and more reliant on technology. Just look at the largest percentage of Americans, they don't have any survival skills at all. Some people don't even know how to start a fire, how to live without a grocery store, how to drink without bottled/running water. I am going to laugh my @ss off when a great catastrophe comes and 1/2 of the worlds populations can't survive without electricity, and running water. Maybe this is just my point of view because I live in America, maybe the rest of the world isn't as stupid, but from knowing a few people from around the world as well, I have seen very similar things.

The stupidity thing applies to everything politics, science, nature, religion, and everything. No one knows how to think for themselves. People will vote for someone just because there favorite singer, or actor says hey vote for so and so. People blindly follow their political party without venturing to think for themselves, and vote for someone they actually believe in. This worlds going downhill fast, and even in my short life so far (22 years) I have seen so more downhill spirals then I ever thought possible.
smspno
It depends who I am referring to Razz. As we all can see, the world is constantly developing and many scientists make new discoveries almost every day, enlarging their knowledge and bringing it to us. However, I still know many people who lack even basic information regarding, for instance, where particular countries lay.
SaraJade
I would hope that we are getting smarter...but every day I am confronted with complete and utter idiocy. I think that if we were unresistant to change we would become much smarter much faster. It seems that anything new and different scares people...so as long as information doesn't violate our pre-concieved notions then we can accept it.

Thus we have an over-abundance of those I like to refer as "flat-earthers". People who simply can't accept new findings, theoretical knowledge, or even scientific discoveries if they violate what they "feel" to be true.

But, that's just my opinion.

S.
thejam
i think we are all getting dumber. Darwins theory is completely ****** up now, due to artificial methods to let people survive. Problem is for instance people who see the human population is ompletely out of control these days. people who are willing to have have kids at a later age, and are limiting the amount of kids they have, are less productive then some dumb ass people who have 15 kids before they are 40. I don't say all people who have a lot of kids are dumb, but most of the time its at least pretty irrisponsible. Its a shame..we should have been so much more smarter by now..
space80
Smart and dumb people existed,but dumber r min 70%Smile
Rajiev
Of course they are getting smarter. Think of your self. Do you have the same knowledge as you did 5 years ago? No na.

Think it like this way. If any of the College student was sent back in time to 1900, what will be the state of him in the society. He will be considered as equal as Eisenstein. Our average knowledge is getting higher day by day. Even to survive in this society, One would have to collect great amount of knowledge and use his brains so much.
Not like in old days, when we were looking after our sheep and minding our own business.

But the thing is, we are loosing it in some fields. Most of the people are specializing in one area only. Perhaps they can't replace even a bulb on the home. An expert she surgeon may not know how to cook Surprised
j_f_k
its a very hard one to call - a lot has been said about falling standards in school exams in a lot of countries - however at the same time over the past 40 years there is a lot more to learn - for example - nobody learned about computers when i went to school - not to mention physics and other things have been fairly busy in recent times.


The school cirriculum has to therefore include quite a whole lot more stuff, so there is less time to learn the traditional stuff that people of my age learned at school - as the time people spend in school stays fixed.

This leads people of my generation to conclude that people are therefore getting dumber however that is not quite accurate imho.
j_f_k
what i've seen in schools as a major problem is that there is an increasing divide between the top schools and the ordinary schools

the top schools are functioning as they always have and probably function a little bit better than they were 30 years ago because of improved teaching methods and better pastoral care and so on.

the ordinary schools are suffering in a big way because of the relationship between teachers and students and their respect for authority. You could call it lack of discipline but its deeper than that:

When i was young very few were brave enough to talk back to a teacher even if we knew they were being a d**k. now lots of kids wouldn't think twice about pulling a knife or assaulting a teacher.

This obviously leads to enourmous problems - notably you can't keep good teachers and the teachers are now spending time fighting to keep the class under control. this means that the about of time to go throught the school curriculum which was throught to be fixed (from age 5 to 18 ) is actually effectively reduced.

The upshot is that the brains trust of the world is as strong as ever, meaning that techological advances shouldn't be in danger, meaning the human race as a whole is getting 'better' however ordinary people are getting poorer education and becoming dumber.

so not that simple. say you lived in a country where the national football side has improved over the past 5 years and have better players and are winning more tournaments, but football at the grass roots in that country is being played less and less because ordinary people are more obese (or whatever) and have more passive lifestyles - so would you say your country is better or worse at football than it was?
ashish2005
If you ask me some people are getting smarter and some are getting dumber. There are different type of people in this world and smart and dumb people are amongst those people. But I think overall the number of smarter people are increasing.
Related topics
Armageddon
Internet Bandwidth
Who All Believes In Evolution?
Email
Meta tags???
Bomb Threat
What was the most AMAZING thing you have ever done in life ?
GPS on, Brain off
Life without the Internet!!!
Who is the biggest liar in the world?
Best / Worst Lie you have used to get someone into bed....
2008 Predictions
Need some advice on Intel CPUs; which to pick?
Aferlife?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.