FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bad experience many moons ago kept me away from linux.

tshirtguy
About 10 years ago, I was installing a version of red hat (not sure which one because of time that has past) onto an extra pc we had at the time. I figured I'd tool around with it and see what all the buzz was about. Well, during the install, the hard disk literally died. Embarassed I tried doing low level formats, disc repair, etc... but nothing got the drive to work again. Needless to say, this turned me off to playing around with linux. I know it's possible that the drive was defective, but it's highly unlikely because It wasn't exactly an old disc. My question is has anyone else experienced this sort of problem while doing a linux install, and are the newer distros of linux less succeptable to this sort of problem?
The reason I ask is that I'm considering giving another whack at it now that I'm into programming.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Psycho_X52
I've installed Fedora 8 a few times (because it kinda crashed Razz) and I had no problem with my hard drive, an old IDE one. I installed it on one and only partition, then I used a dual boot with Windows. If I use Fedora, restart and load Windows, it boots faster Very Happy .
sheedatali
tshirtguy wrote:
About 10 years ago, I was installing a version of red hat (not sure which one because of time that has past) onto an extra pc we had at the time. I figured I'd tool around with it and see what all the buzz was about. Well, during the install, the hard disk literally died. Embarassed I tried doing low level formats, disc repair, etc... but nothing got the drive to work again. Needless to say, this turned me off to playing around with linux. I know it's possible that the drive was defective, but it's highly unlikely because It wasn't exactly an old disc. My question is has anyone else experienced this sort of problem while doing a linux install, and are the newer distros of linux less succeptable to this sort of problem?
The reason I ask is that I'm considering giving another whack at it now that I'm into programming.
Thanks in advance for any input.

This is a total misunderstanding, I agree that 8 years ago Linux was not as solid or user friendly as it is now, but I do not believe it was Linux that caused the crash. the hardware 8 years ago was probably crappy and did not last a full format. Also windows probably worked on it because it failed to detect a hardware fault on the disk which Linux was able to as it does FSCK as part of normal housekeeping process. Modern day distro's have improved usability and friendliness, and of course Linux Kernel has matured to support wider variety of hardware and better management of resources. I am glad that you want to try it again, please feel totally safe to try it as Linux can easily co-exist with Windows on same computer without causing any harm to your existing data.
Studio Madcrow
Yeah. Your problems 8 years ago sound like PURE hardware issues. Software can't really cause problems like that...
ForceRun
I have been thinking about playing around with Linux, but is it really easier? And is there really any befit for a gamer?
Psycho_X52
=)) NO!

Linux comes in many distributions (to choose one that fits you http://polishlinux.org/choose/quiz/
or http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php?firsttime=true). I used Fedora 8 and I like it, but it doesn't goes as smooth as XP. It has many more features that come handy when writing a scrip, editing, but it is harder to install software (it's not 2x click , next, next, next, finish). You cannot run .exe by default. I couldn't play any 3D game on linux, because of my videocard driver.
sheedatali
ForceRun wrote:
I have been thinking about playing around with Linux, but is it really easier? And is there really any befit for a gamer?

Gaming is a weak area for Linux, mostly due to the fact that there is not much incentive for game developers on Linux platform. In practice it comes down to money, Linux is open source, and most games are closed source and the developers of these games think that they can not make money by embracing open source methodology. The drivers and api in Linux is very good, infact it will be much easier for developers to develop games on Linux platform since it is so Open.

For a desktop and services point of view Linux is miles ahead of windows or alternatives.
Peterssidan
Like the others have said it was probably not Linux that fault that your drive crashed. Some months ago I bought a new hard drive and installed Linux for the first time and I have no problems with my hardware so far.
KHO
I actually did something similar. While playing around on a live disk, I accidently changed the number of heads the HDD thought it had. Pain in the ass. Took me about an hour to figure out what I did and fix it, but imagine my suprise when I tried to boot into my windows install and everything went kapluey with a disk error. Linux is a powerful tool in my experience, should not be taken lightly.

Someone posted above if it has any benefit for a gamer, in my tests linux handles multitasking VERY well, so if your running games along with ANY other program (media player?) it runs smoother then the same set up under windows. unfortunately theres very poor game support, very few games actually work under linux, and even fewer work well. As such I ended up running a virtual machine of windows XP on my SuSe install to play games, which basically I may aswell dual boot and just use windows. =\

So in short, no benefit for gamers.
vampire8u
I recently built a computer for my daughter and decieded to put Linspire 6 on it since she really is just going to use it for web browsing and occasional homework, email. For the most part I would say it was pretty easy but the wireless would not work without searching the internet on a computer that did work(xp) and finding the arcane commands to type into a terminal window.
A few years ago I fiddled with Red Hat a little bit and quickly became discouraged since everything seemed to be geared towards someone that wanted to read a several hundred page technical manual on how frustrating trying to make your computer work is. Linspire certainly has raised my opinion of the new linux desktop os builds. With that in mind I still decided to buy a copy of xp. There is still some work to be done to make linux user friendly to non tech geeks and I don't think that most of the tech geeks that are creating the Linux distributions want that to happen.
My daughter never ever needs to have to go searching the net to find some arcane commands to make her computer work correctly.
Without Linux becoming more Windows like it's never going to be mainstream and what's the point microsoft already builds a better windows every few years or so. So for you Rebels out there keep fighting the giant I hope its worth your time.
Vista is going to have to wait for a long time for me. XP is working great why change?
xcloudy
It's more like a hardware failure than a software one. The first linux I installed 9 years ago is also Redhat. I know nothing about it in that time, although I installed it successfully. The first problem I have with Linux is what username/password should I use to log in Evil or Very Mad I know nothing about 'root' that time Sad
lastelement0
ive been using linux for about 2 years now. one of the easier ones to start messing around with is most likely ubuntu and any of its "siblings" (kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu, etc.) i say this because of the great community behind it, the nice interface and allows you to do just about everything you need/want to do without using the terminal.

i find that to be nice because most people are turned off from trying it once they hear the terminal/command line. by all means it doesnt mean that you can't use the command line if you want to, because you can definitely use that.

don't let an expereince years ago prevent you from enjoying linux. with developments on all sides its easier than ever to give it a shot. if you dont want to make any "permanent" disk changes yet, give virtualization a shot. there you can try out multiple distros and see which one suits you best.

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

also give that link a shot. its a nice "test" that asks you a series of questions that vary from what you are looking to do, what computer you use, as well as your computer knowledge. it then takes those answers and gives you a list of distros that best suit how you responded.

hope that helps