FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A Maths problem

saratdear
Division by zero is undefined or infinity, right?

But we can multiply numbers with zero.

So, say... 2*0 = 0

This must mean that

2 = 0/0

2 = undefined or infinity?

How to work around this problem?
Wuppie
Why must it mean that 0/0 is 2?
saratdear
Wuppie wrote:
Why must it mean that 0/0 is 2?

Because,

(Take another example)

2*3 = 6

2 = 6/3
Jaan
no, your logic is flawed... but to prove that, however, it will take many many pages of calculations Razz
bloodrider
@saratdear, you should do a little search before posting a new topic. This topic already exists Exclamation
All the answers you may need you'll find there Wink
saratdear
bloodrider wrote:
@saratdear, you should do a little search before posting a new topic. This topic already exists Exclamation
All the answers you may need you'll find there Wink

Thanks for pointing out that thread to me.

However, the answer I am trying to get from this thread is a work-around a problem which suggests that :

any real number = infinity, zero, 1, or not defined
Genesiz
If you look at the thread that bloodrider highlighted, you will see that your initial explanation is incorrect. 0/0 does not equal infinity, it is simply undefined.

This therefore means that you cannot equate 0/0 to 2 (even though all the rules of mathematics have been followed). Doing this, you are saying that 0/0 only equals 2, and nothing else. But 0/0 can equal 3, or 4, or 5 million and 2 (etc.). Therefore, the equation 0/0 = 2, must be written as 0/0 = undefined.

This hopefully explains your problem.
saratdear
Genesiz wrote:
If you look at the thread that bloodrider highlighted, you will see that your initial explanation is incorrect. 0/0 does not equal infinity, it is simply undefined.

This therefore means that you cannot equate 0/0 to 2 (even though all the rules of mathematics have been followed). Doing this, you are saying that 0/0 only equals 2, and nothing else. But 0/0 can equal 3, or 4, or 5 million and 2 (etc.). Therefore, the equation 0/0 = 2, must be written as 0/0 = undefined.

This hopefully explains your problem.

Okay, so does that mean :

0/0 = not defined

0 = not defined*0 ?

(Silly question, I know, since 'not defined' is not a value at all Rolling Eyes )
Genesiz
In essence yes. What you basically have there is the rule when mutliplying by 0. Any number (an undefined number) multiplied by 0 equals 0.

Does that help.
saratdear
So, basically,

Any natural number * 0 = 0,

but following basic rearranging, you can not write

natural number = 0/0

That makes sense...thanks. Very Happy
Wuppie
0 is an exception.
ankitdatashn
yaah I too agree this kind of topic already exist and I too posted my post in that, anyway for the present query I guess you are a bit confused with mathematic laws, how can you say 2=0/0 by saying that 2*0=0, I am simply not getting any idea...
Arty
You can't divide by zero but you can multiply by zero. =P Simple as that o_o

it's simply undefined because you can't have zero piles of something, but you can have five piles of nothing.
Gonzalo
Wow, that was a hard problem. I bet I can not solve it all by myself. Anyhow, can you cut a round cake in 8 parts only with 3 cuts? Think about it.