FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HP warranty

Tony The Tiger
As much as I have griped about the Hewlett Packard warranty and the trouble I have had getting serviced efficiently, they surprised me a bit today. My powercord died yesterday and when I called them they said they would send a new one for free. Dell does not include powercords in the warranty. I have to see if they will send me a new battery someday. Dell did not include batteries either. I still think the Dell warranty is superior, but I am happy to get a free replacement power cord.
Tony The Tiger
Can anyone tell me how common it is for a computer manufacturer to include the power cord as part of the warranty?
Diablosblizz
I suppose it would depend on what company, and the model. Although, it surprises me that you don't have an extra one around your house. I, personally, have about 10.
ForceRun
Laptop power cord are little harder to find, is that what you are talking about? I still think HP and all of the other cheap-o-crap computer makers are bad news. Just the amount of work the end user has to go though to get support is nuts. Just remember that when buying one of their computers.
Diablosblizz
I don't classify HP to be "cheap-o-crap." HP computers are very reliable, and are made to work. I have all HP's (and Compaq, before HP) have never given up, crashed or anything. They're just great computers.
Tony The Tiger
Diablosblizz wrote:
I suppose it would depend on what company, and the model. Although, it surprises me that you don't have an extra one around your house. I, personally, have about 10.

I have about four powercords for my 2003 Dell Laptop. I ordered them all specifically for the laptop. Are you suggesting that these are common power cords that I should be able to substitute with power cords from other appliances. Neither of my laptops seems to be a common cord. The Hewlett Packard power cord looks like it might be interchangeable with some of my other equipment (wireless router, external hard drives). I have never thought about such a substitution in the past. Can any damage occur to my computer if I substitute power cords?
Tony The Tiger
Diablosblizz wrote:
I don't classify HP to be "cheap-o-crap." HP computers are very reliable, and are made to work. I have all HP's (and Compaq, before HP) have never given up, crashed or anything. They're just great computers.

This is my first HP computer and I am not sure if its performance is attributable to this being my first machine with the Windows Vista operating system or whether the performance is attributable to the hardware. However, the custormer service has generally been very disappointing at HP.
psycosquirrel
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:

I have about four powercords for my 2003 Dell Laptop. I ordered them all specifically for the laptop. Are you suggesting that these are common power cords that I should be able to substitute with power cords from other appliances. Neither of my laptops seems to be a common cord. The Hewlett Packard power cord looks like it might be interchangeable with some of my other equipment (wireless router, external hard drives). I have never thought about such a substitution in the past. Can any damage occur to my computer if I substitute power cords?

I don't know what Diablosblizz is talking about. Power cables are not interchangeable within laptops. Obviously, all desktops use the same 3-prong connector. Maybe that is what he is referring to?

Some power cables are intercompatible within brands; many Dell laptops have the same or similar 19.5v 4.62a power cable. Do not try to use any power brick that is not directly listed as compatible with your machine. You could fry your laptop doing so.

As for the machine you have, I have not kept track of your story about issues with HP. But I can assure you, that Vista does in fact, suck some major nuts. (sorry to be so vulgar, but I hate it!) Switch to XP, and you will see a major performance boost.

How much RAM does the system have? If it has only 1Gb, that is why it is so sluggish. You need 2Gb at least for Vista.

Power cords are occasionally covered under warrantee, especially if failure is common. Generally, the plug on the mainboard of the laptop will fail before the power cord though, so they anticipate you replacing the machine before the power cord.
Tony The Tiger
psycosquirrel wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:

How much RAM does the system have? If it has only 1Gb, that is why it is so sluggish. You need 2Gb at least for Vista.

I have 2GB of RAM in my system. I am surprised that new computers are still offering 2GB since my machine is a year and a half old. At some point, I want to get more RAM.

psycosquirrel wrote:
Power cords are occasionally covered under warrantee, especially if failure is common. Generally, the plug on the mainboard of the laptop will fail before the power cord though, so they anticipate you replacing the machine before the power cord.

I have never had a problem with a plug on a motherboard that I have known about.
psycosquirrel
I've had more power plugs fail on laptops I've fixed than power cords breaking. It all varies with the make and model of the laptop.
Tony The Tiger
psycosquirrel wrote:
I've had more power plugs fail on laptops I've fixed than power cords breaking. It all varies with the make and model of the laptop.

What do you mean by power plug as opposed to power cord?
psycosquirrel
The plug is the port on the laptop that the cord "plugs" into.
surdy
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Can anyone tell me how common it is for a computer manufacturer to include the power cord as part of the warranty?

I have no idea about the how common it is. But i did get my AC adapter for my HP laptop as well as my battery replaced recently.

Also somehow there was another problem that followed the power problem in my HP laptop and they did repair it and gave me free service plan for two years as a compensation. So i'm quite happy with HP
Tony The Tiger
surdy wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

I have no idea about the how common it is. But i did get my AC adapter for my HP laptop as well as my battery replaced recently.

Also somehow there was another problem that followed the power problem in my HP laptop and they did repair it and gave me free service plan for two years as a compensation. So i'm quite happy with HP

Did you get the free adapter and battery after your other problems to make you happy or do you think it is really standard policy. I have had numerous problems with my system and wonder if they gave me the new power cord to make me happy.
surdy
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Did you get the free adapter and battery after your other problems to make you happy or do you think it is really standard policy. I have had numerous problems with my system and wonder if they gave me the new power cord to make me happy.

I got a new battery and ac adapter on the first repair so that was standar thing..not to make me happy.
But point to be noted is that i was under the first year warranty (which does cover your battery). Your extended warranty may not include the battery replacement.
Tony The Tiger
surdy wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

I got a new battery and ac adapter on the first repair so that was standar thing..not to make me happy.
But point to be noted is that i was under the first year warranty (which does cover your battery). Your extended warranty may not include the battery replacement.

I called and asked for a new battery and they are going to send me one.
surdy
hey thats gr8 Very Happy that they sent you a new one ....they ought to
williamsguides
With the extended car warranty, in fact, to protect themselves in the event of sudden or unexpected mechanical failure. A major repair often costs the same amount of transformation, or sometimes more than the cost of the guarantee. As a consumer, you can fully understand the coverage only when you learn the terminology and standard industry norms.
Tony The Tiger
williamsguides wrote:
With the extended car warranty, in fact, to protect themselves in the event of sudden or unexpected mechanical failure. A major repair often costs the same amount of transformation, or sometimes more than the cost of the guarantee. As a consumer, you can fully understand the coverage only when you learn the terminology and standard industry norms.

I understood everything you said except for this: "A major repair often costs the same amount of transformation, or sometimes more than the cost of the guarantee." I have gone to business school and should understand what you are saying so maybe you said it wrong. Of course there could be new terms that I don't understand.
Aredon
most everyone will replace the power supply. Because it can save them money on other parts possibly damaged by it. Also pretty standard to have battery replacement for the first year.
Aredon
most everyone will replace the power supply. Because it can save them money on other parts possibly damaged by it. Also pretty standard to have battery replacement for the first year.
Tony The Tiger
Aredon wrote:

I never thought about that, but my battery has not run down. Also, I am in the second year of ownership. I renewed my original one-year warranty. Do you think my battery is likely covered by replacement?
Aredon
pretty unlikely to be honest, they're more likely to try and sell you a new one than just replace it. All batteries have their own independent warranty that can't be renewed with the warranty of your device. If for some reason they do replace it... Don't complain because you're pretty lucky! Although you may get more luck with hp since they are wanting to get out of the pc making gig. Maybe they'll do it just to clear inventory, but in that case I still think them trying to sell you a new one is a more likely option.
Tony The Tiger
Aredon wrote:
pretty unlikely to be honest, they're more likely to try and sell you a new one than just replace it. All batteries have their own independent warranty that can't be renewed with the warranty of your device. If for some reason they do replace it... Don't complain because you're pretty lucky! Although you may get more luck with hp since they are wanting to get out of the pc making gig. Maybe they'll do it just to clear inventory, but in that case I still think them trying to sell you a new one is a more likely option.

They have run all kinds of tests to confirm that the longest any battery charged to 99% of spec capacity can last is 2.95 hours. They have convinced themselves that they have ruled out the possibility that my battery could have run for 3.5 hours previously. However, they have cleaned up all kinds of spyware off of my machine, which helps me out quite a bit.