FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to change DNS information for domain move (web site use)

ChunkyBustout
Hello all,

I would like to know exactly what are the steps to ensure a problem-free domain name configuration. I've read in these forums that all I have to do is plug in Frihost's nameservers into the nameserver fields, from where ever the domain name was registered, and that's it. Not that I'm doubting but I like to be absolutely sure of my settings to prevent problems.

So, is anyone willing to post a how-to on moving a domain name from registrar -to-web host
Question

Excuse my ignorance but I don't want to learn this through trial and error. Kinda makes things easy when things are done right Very Happy

Thanks!
Neus
its easy easy to do it Smile i just did it myself not too long ago... basically, sign up for your domain, somewhere when your signing up or in your configuration panel for your domain off your registrar, you can input the 2 nameservers. for frihost, it is ns1.frihost.net and ns2.frihost.net

next, go to your cpanel, click parked domain. simply put your new domain there and click add domain (example: im ylurself.frihost.net... we got a domain, we are now www.ylurself.com .. i parked the domain ylurself.com.. i didnt put the www part.. dont really need it.. its assumed...) without it parked, the frihost name servers dont know where to point to when you go to your site...

wallah! everything is now set (now just wait a day or two for dns to propogate and it should work Smile)
ChunkyBustout
And that's it? The DNS configuration is done? No email tweaking or worrying about subdomains or anything?
bigdan
Thanks for that...I was wondering why I couldn't get my domain to work! Very Happy
Neus
you use subdomains? then yes, youll have to configure those too...

once you park a domain, you will now get a drop down menu of the different domains of your site you can use for subdomains (origionally you only get the option of (subdomain).(yoursite).frihost.net

once your domain is parked theres a drop down menu you can use where you can change which domain it will be a subdomain to. simply redo the subdomains (you can keep your old ones too... they will still work for the old site incase someone has bookmarks to the old site or something)

as for emails, anything sent to @yournewdomain.com (or wahtever) will auto be put in your @yoursite.frihost.net... it says something like "Setup Mail forward (newdomain) -> (your old site).frihost.net. when you add the new domain

any other questions? feel free to ask... Smile

*edit* bondings, you should add this to the faq more clearly Wink you currently only tell people the name servers really and leave them to everything else...
ChunkyBustout
Thanks a lot. That helped a great deal!

Appreciated.

Cool
budazz
YEAH ITS EASY TO SET UP...IVE CONFIGURED THE THE dns AT FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG
MasterC
Well, i`m trying to use FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG but it`s not working.

so budazz, can you explain to what i need to do?
budazz
MasterC wrote:
Well, i`m trying to use FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG but it`s not working.

so budazz, can you explain to what i need to do?

well you have to choose if you want to have a domain or subdomain

then use or choose the "cname" when you are trying to use the subdomain

put your name or subdomain name..

then choose to a hundred extension for example .afrit.org and many more..

put the server name

choose either ns1.frihost.net or ns2.frihost.net

after doing that..

go to your cpanel

and use the parked on domain and put the name of the new subdomain that you created at freedns.afraid.org..

hope you understand this Rolling Eyes
Daniel15
I suggest you DON'T choose CNAME as this is an inefficient DNS method.

Instead, choose to create an 'NS' entry for your afraid.org subdomain. In the address field, type either 'ns1.frihost.net' or 'ns2.frihost.net'. Next, add the domain into your hosting account (either as a parked or addon domain). Finally, wait a while, and it should work!
MasterC
Where can I add my new domain if i have "DirectAdmin"?
Bondings
MasterC wrote:
Where can I add my new domain if i have "DirectAdmin"?

Please click on the help button in DirectAdmin if you have questions. The documentation is really very good.

http://www.site-helper.com/misc.html#domains will explain it.
tvket
hi can you help to use subdomain of afraid.org to free hosting site.. add me add at ym.. tris_tair18

or pm me in facebook tvket@yahoo.com tnks