FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What Happens When You Visit the Web Site ?

sandeepjain
In order to understand what happens when you visit a website, it is necessary to understand the concept of client/server communications:

Client
A client is simply a computer or piece of software which requests a service from a server. For instance, when you visited this page, your web browser requested this HTML document from the web server it is stored on.

Server
As the name suggests, a server is a computer or piece of software which responds to client requests, returning to them the HTML documents, images, or programs which they asked for.

Web sites are simply collections of HTML documents, images, CGI programs, Java applets, multimedia presentations and so on, which are stored together on a web server computer (although all parts of a site do not necessarily have to be stored on the same physical machine). When you visit a website, your web browser contacts this server, and asks it to send the relevant documents.

Let's take a look at the detailed steps which take place when you visit this site:

1. You type the URL "http://programminc.myblogsite.com/" into your browser
2. Your web browser contacts your ISP's DNS server, which translates the domain name into a unique IP address, and returns that address to your browser.
3. Your web browser uses that IP address to contact the web server that this site is stored on, and sends it the URL you initially typed in.
4. The web server receives your browser's request, interprets the URL it received, and figures out that you want the home page of my site.
5. The web server finds "index.html" (the filename of my homepage) on its hard drive, and sends it back to your web browser.
6. Your web browser parses the HTML file it has just received, and realises that there are several images on the home page which it needs to display.
7. Your web browser contacts the web server again, and asks it for each of the images it needs. The web server receives these requests, and returns each of the images to your browser.
8. Once your web browser has all the images etc that it needs, it assembles the pieces together on the page, and displays it on your screen.

When you click on a hyperlink on my home page, the whole process is repeated for the new page.

Visit http://programmingc.myblogsite.com
orno
copy-pasted from http://www.paulgriffiths.net/web/intro.html

Rolling Eyes
Summer
LOL . At least u shud give credits to the site . (Is it the rules in Frihost ?)
orno
-close-ing until you PM saying you want it open again, AND will provide the source link