FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Most Ridiculous Error Messages

jsarnold
It's a fact of life that computers and software will go wrong, usually with the result that we are regularly bombarded with error messages. Some of these error messages can be highly useful, but many seem to be errors themselves, entirely useful, or simply absurd.

Such as the error message:

"There is not enough memory to"

Hmm.. nice.

Anyone else got any good examples of really stupid, meaningless or humorous error messages?
[FuN]goku
Hmm, I'm not sure about error messages, but my Work's fire alarm is sort of funny. It was broke the other day and was going off for about 6 hours. When it goes off it says
"Leave you idiot the fire!" or something like that rofl.
Wuppie
Just an error window, with no boxes or text in it. Just "Error" in the bar of the window.
ocalhoun
Well, there's always this one, which I actually have seen before:

During the post test:

Error: keyboard not detected

Press any key to continue
Wuppie
ocalhoun wrote:

During the post test:

Hah, that really made me laugh Very Happy
carlospro7
ocalhoun wrote:

During the post test:

d'oh! haha, that is the most ridiculous error message I have seen.

I think any message that doesn't give enough information about the error is ridiculous
Genesiz
Most ridiculous one i've seen is:

Error - your computer will restart in 30 seconds. Press cancel to postpone restart for 10 mins.
(I press cancel)
Error - unable to postpone restart.

But thats all that came up. I clicked OK, and the computer didn't restart at all, not even after 10 mins. I still have no idea why this happened.
jsarnold
The following are all genuine error messages... surprisingly, from Windows systems...

"The procedure failed with the following error: The command completed successfully."

"Cannot delete tmp150_3.tmp: There is not enough free disk space. Delete one or more files to free disk space, and then try again."

"This error should not have occurred."

"Cannot copy file. The file exists!" <--- how can you copy something WITHOUT the file existing??
mathiaus
I have 2 from work that I've recently experienced quite recently.

Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.9 on an old well used version of Win 2k
"An Internal Error Occurred"

Blackberry Desktop Manager - Intellisync on Win Vista
"An Internal Error Occurred (Check Logs)"

Both are unhelpful, provide no logs (either in Windows or their own). Very annoying!

-moved-
Psycho_X52
Someone made a compilation of error messages: watch clip
welshsteve
ocalhoun wrote:

During the post test:

Laughing That's genius!
Wuppie
Psycho_X52 wrote:

Some are funny, but some are too stupid to be real. I think some of those errors aren't real.
Psycho_X52
Thought so first, but after reading ocalhoun's error, everything is possible Very Happy
Diablosblizz
BIOS error message:

Quote:
Cannot detect keyboard
Unable to detect a keyboard plugged into your system, please unplug/replug your keyboard back in.

Press F1 to boot.

Something around those lines, gave me a little chuckle.
zellfaze
Not really an error.
shutdown -h now wrote:

System is going down for maintenance NOW!

Why does it even bother to output that?
HamsterMan
Hang on. Here it is.

I don't have one saved anywhere, but don't you just love those error messages that are like, "you got 60 seconds before the computer shuts down".
carlospro7
HamsterMan wrote:
Hang on. Here it is.

I don't have one saved anywhere, but don't you just love those error messages that are like, "you got 60 seconds before the computer shuts down".

Haha, is that image for real? that is hilarious Applause Great job by Microsoft.
zellfaze
I fell much better after seeing that knowing that I use Linux not windows. XD
bulek
@HamsterMan: photoshop? Smile
ganesh
Had a nice time in this thread looking at all the funny error messages Smile A welcome change from all the serious threads in this sub-forum !
Agent ME
zellfaze wrote:
Not really an error.
shutdown -h now wrote:

So if someone is logged in on another terminal they get an explanation on why everything is stopping?

The error message most annoying to me, is on my ubuntu linux system a lot of times it won't suspend automatically when I close the laptop like I set it to, and I'll get a sooo helpful error message "The system has failed to suspend, please check help file for common reasons." What help file? And why is it if I go and click "Suspend" from the menu while I'm looking at the error it suspends just fine?!

(Even more annoying is when the battery is really low, and I get the "Failed to Hibernate" error. Except by the time it tries to hibernate, there's only about 30 seconds left on the battery, so there's no time to try to fix this before the system dies. So it's like 2 WTFs in one, that it waits until the battery is so low, and that it fails.)
HamsterMan
bulek wrote:
@HamsterMan: photoshop? Smile

Nope, it's real. Razz
zellfaze
Agent ME wrote:
zellfaze wrote:
Not really an error.
shutdown -h now wrote:

So if someone is logged in on another terminal they get an explanation on why everything is stopping?

The error message most annoying to me, is on my ubuntu linux system a lot of times it won't suspend automatically when I close the laptop like I set it to, and I'll get a sooo helpful error message "The system has failed to suspend, please check help file for common reasons." What help file? And why is it if I go and click "Suspend" from the menu while I'm looking at the error it suspends just fine?!

(Even more annoying is when the battery is really low, and I get the "Failed to Hibernate" error. Except by the time it tries to hibernate, there's only about 30 seconds left on the battery, so there's no time to try to fix this before the system dies. So it's like 2 WTFs in one, that it waits until the battery is so low, and that it fails.)

But Ubuntu systems (well not Ubuntu server systems, but the Desktop) were not meant to be used for multiple people at the same time, nor does that message display in the GUI just the terminals. So it doesnt do a whole lot of good anyways.
fx-trading-education
Psycho_X52 wrote:

THe tip one is really very good !
HalfBloodPrince
Mouse not detected. Click here to continue.
{name here}
I occasionally test my web designs in Internet Explorer. One time I got this pop-up error message:
Pop-up blocked
hunnyhiteshseth
Psycho_X52 wrote:
Thought so first, but after reading ocalhoun's error, everything is possible Very Happy

Well if you llok closely thats not illogical. It was the error that used to come in old computers(i.e. with old bios). Those bios had a setting to halt system if keyboard is not detected(Which was, ofcourse, on by default). In that case this message came.

So, this error just meant that since keyboard was not found, so please check its cable and if its not connected connect it. And after connecting it, to inform bios that it has been connected press any key.

See simple!!
reb00table
Sometimes, when I run full screen apps (like games, gfx software, 3D software...) and there's a problem I get blank error windows. The program shuts down after I click on the only button (that might be OK)

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
so please check its cable and if its not connected connect it. And after connecting it, to inform bios that it has been connected press any key.

See simple!!

Nice going Einstein. Now the world is a better and safer place Smile
hunnyhiteshseth
reb00table wrote:

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
so please check its cable and if its not connected connect it. And after connecting it, to inform bios that it has been connected press any key.

See simple!!

Nice going Einstein. Now the world is a better and safer place Smile

Laughing Laughing My pleasure!! Laughing Laughing
reiika101
ocalhoun wrote:

During the post test:

This is ridiculous. LOL Very Happy Although I haven't seen this yet.
Animal
A couple of my favourites:

Agent ME
The Daily WTF has a lot of articles with nonsensical errors and similar wtf-worthy tech stories - the articles under the "Error'd" section on the left are filled with this type of stuff. Just thought to post this here as I realized its similar to the topic.

zellfaze wrote:
But Ubuntu systems (well not Ubuntu server systems, but the Desktop) were not meant to be used for multiple people at the same time, nor does that message display in the GUI just the terminals. So it doesnt do a whole lot of good anyways.

If you set up the computer to be able to be accessed through SSH, ("sudo apt-get install sshd" will do this) then the Desktop system can be easily used by several users. I guess its just a nice thing to keep the behavior consistent of that message across different set-ups.
loyal
Peace.

Some people made spoof 404 webpage errors which are quite funny. Here's a few:
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
http://www.404error.info/
http://www.404-error-page.com/404-some-fun-404-error-page-spoofs.shtml
fx-trading-education
Today I installed Windors Server 2003 and I got some nice ones but couldn't do a screen shot as I was in DOS mode.
I got one where it was written (approximatively): choose the OS you want to use or type enter to exit.

And then there was no choice at all the only way was to exit.