FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Oliver Twist was a Thug

YungGunz
That kid was raised in the ghetto, and was shot when he was 10 years old. HE had the hardest (fictional) life, and I dont think 50 Cent could top that kid.
jsarnold
Interesting. The word 'thug' comes from the Hindi 'thag' meaning a rogue or a cheat, yet the dictionary definition I have is that a thung is 'a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.' Quite a discrepancy there between the origins of the word and its current meaning.

Mind you, that happens a lot - as in the word 'gay' (which, incidentally, comes from an old German word 'gāhi' which means sudden, or fast..)

I don't believe that Oliver Twist was cruel - he did only what was necessary to survive. Neither was he particularly vicious. Yes, he stole, but not for gain or greed - but to survive in a harsh world. he certainly wasn't a murderer.

I agree he had a hard life, but I think the word thug, especially today, is not the best fitting word to describe him.

He was quite fast - so perhaps he was gāhi?
Afaceinthematrix
^^ jsarnold, the word 'thug' has sort of picked up a new slang definition. So when he calls Twist a 'thug,' don't take it literally. I use that word a lot when describing someone tough/cool.
jsarnold
I know that the word thug has picked up a slang definition. But it is still important to understand what our words truly mean, as not understanding the real meaning of words is to lose touch with the true meaning of our language.

Besides, I'm sure Dickens would agree with me, that Twist is not supposed to be seen as a thug.
prithvi
jsarnold wrote:
Interesting. The word 'thug' comes from the Hindi 'thag' meaning a rogue or a cheat, yet the dictionary definition I have is that a thung is 'a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.' Quite a discrepancy there between the origins of the word and its current meaning.

What the dictionary definition says is quite right.
The Hindi term 'thug' was used for robbers/thieves/swindlers since several centuries.
The thug could go to any extent to get what he wanted.........so it could be a petty theft, a con job, a mugging, or a murder to loot something.
YungGunz
Yes, what i mean by "Thug", I mean someone who is "Tough", or "Strong-Hearted".
jsarnold
Wouldn't most politicians want to declare themselves as being tough and strong hearted?

Would that mean that the aim of a politician is to be a thug?