FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

LCD's refresh Rate

Possum
Hi

Can LCD's benefit from Changing there refresh Rate

Cheers Possum
Helios
Your eyes may benefit.
Higher refresh rate is considered healthier.

By the way, it's much easier to type "Cheers Possum" in the signature area: http://www.frihost.com/forums/profile.php?mode=editprofile
This will automatically post the signature in every reply Smile
kansloos
It doesn't bother a lot, as LCD's fade to the next frame, and don't cut through black like CRT's do.
Your eyes can rarely see the difference.
jackill
LCDs won't flicker like CRTs, so 60Hz is healthy and good for eyes. Read (eg, on Wikipedia) how LCD and CRT works, and You will find the answer Wink
Diablosblizz
jackill wrote:
LCDs won't flicker like CRTs, so 60Hz is healthy and good for eyes. Read (eg, on Wikipedia) how LCD and CRT works, and You will find the answer Wink

Doesn't a lower refresh rate also speed up games?
Helios
^ I see flickering @ 60 Hertz, but that's only under certain light conditions... so I just set it on 70 or 75 Hertz.
jackill
LCD@75Hz? What's yours monitor?
Diablosblizz
LCD's do go to 75Hz, although I have both mine running at 60Hz and there is no flickering. Although, one is an ancient BEAST (one of the old clunky ones) and I do see a little flickering, even though it's shot it works so there is no point in buying a new one. This computer also isn't used much so I don't care.
ForceRun
Just do the highest you monitor can handle. Refresh rate will not improve FPS (Frames per Sec.) or Performance, how ever you can lower you resolution to get some more FPS, but remember the game will not look as good.
psycosquirrel
ForceRun wrote:
Just do the highest you monitor can handle. Refresh rate will not improve FPS (Frames per Sec.) or Performance, how ever you can lower you resolution to get some more FPS, but remember, the game will not look as good.

ForceRun knows his stuff. He has it exactly right.

Helios wrote:

^ I see flickering @ 60 Hertz, but that's only under certain light conditions... so I just set it on 70 or 75 Hertz.

I do as well. I have refresh rates on all my systems other than my laptop at 70Hz.
mOrpheuS
psycosquirrel wrote:
Helios wrote:

I do as well. I have refresh rates on all my systems other than my laptop at 70Hz.

You sound like elite audiophiles of the world of vision!

The normal "flicker" on LCD monitors is impossible to notice (unless under special laboratory conditions), even to the best pair of eyes - because it's due to the fluorescent backlight of the display, which has a frequency around 200MHz - rather than due to the electron beam.
The flicker could be if your LCD was improperly manufactured (not well calibrated) or has gone bad. - Reference

Even if observed, changing the refresh rate of the LCD will have no effect whatsoever on either kind of perceived "flicker".
jackill
Or maybe Your DVI or D-Sub cable isn't proper quality. LCD isn't flickering at all Smile
ForceRun
I can see the difference between 60-75, I think I read some where the eye can see the flicker at 50 or so. When ever I work on some ones rig for them I fix the Resolution and refresh rate, and they always report less eye strain and a clear screen. By the way if you have a LCD, make sure you have the resolution at its natural level, because most LCD are set by there pixel count and at any other resolution it distorts the screen quality. CRT you can play more around with the resolution. Have fun and download the new video drivers for your Nvidia card, they are sweet. www.nvidia.com