You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

500 Internal Server Error

Hi, Im kinda new to this but what does 500 Internal Server Error mean? I was going through my site and the next thing you know this comes up in my site.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

My site is back, but do does anyone got any idea how this happened?
Well I'm not too sure about my knowledge on this subject, but a 500 Internal Server error is when either you're browser did not correctly read the information on the site, or the site could not correctly give information to the browser. The best thing you can do is to try refreshing the page or reloading your browser.

As far as I know, a 500 error can't be prevented. In Cpanel, it offers you a chance to create your own errors, including the 500 error. But that's just for looks ^^.
where did you get the error?
what software is running there, and what changes did you make?
Did you get the error on every page in that dir or only that page?
what is the page using(.htaccess in the dir?, php, cgi)?
I'm currently experiencing the same scenario, and it has been going on for about a week I guess... I read from some other posts, that if you locate the .htacces file, you should try renaming it, and then it might work again. I've tried doing this, but I can't find the file through the regular file-managers in cpanel... Is it hidden?

Or is there some other thing that should be done?
Yes the same page is displayed for my site too. Today its been much often. After few minutes, the site is OK, displays and after some minutes again same page is thrown. I'm experiencing this problem since a few days back. I thought there might be some server maintenance going on. I'm still waiting for the completion.
Yea, exactly the same here.... up and down in a seemingly endless rhythm... The worst thing is that the visitor will probably think it's down permanently... :S
Cpanel is currently down for me, site is working. But what can I do without cpanel?
It appears as internal server error. 1st server of course.
I did some more research on the subject as my own site was being attacked by the 500 error.

It turns out that it can be caused by a PHP error if the permissions (chmod) are wrong. They'd either have to be 644 or 755. I changed mine to 755, as 644 was the default, and it didn't seem to work under the default. But after I chmoded the files to 755, I never got the problem again.

But if your Cpanel is getting that error, then the best thing to do is wait it out. These errors shouldn't last forever.
Ok, personally I'm not totally into the chmod-thing.... what should practically be done?