FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Extracting alpha channel from PNGs

Flakky
Hello!

When I was working with my favorite program for creating images (Texture Maker) I worked on a huge texture and an alpha map. When I was finished I exported the texture with the alpha map, closed off Texture Maker and realized I didn't save the other things like the alpha map but it wasn't a problem since I didn't needed it anyway.

Now I need to reuse that texture but since now I was making a texture to be used for something totally different, I need the alpha in a separate file so I could process it further and oh boy I only have the PNG. I've tried opening it in Photoshop, which gives me a message that it could not be opened for some reason and after trying to open any PNG it kept on failing. I did extracted a alpha channel from a Targa file but this is different.

So now I am looking for a quick solution to extract alpha layers from a PNG, and Targa files if possible since Photoshop isn't quick enough for me Razz
brokenadvice
I can get you halfway in The GIMP www.gimp.org . Once you have the PNG open in the right hand most window (Should be called layers, channels & paths) right click on the current layer and select "Alpha to selection". Once you have the selection, go to the menu "selection" and click on the menu item "fill with foreground color". You can then copy it and paste it in your other program. Hope this works.
Flakky
I get most of it except for the "fill with foreground color" part. I have the Dutch version but I don't see any translation which matches what you've said. But then I am not an experienced GIMP user.
brokenadvice
Sorry, it should be under the "edit" menu.
Flakky
brokenadvice wrote:
Sorry, it should be under the "edit" menu.
I found the function but something weird happens. Whenever I fill it, it leaves a black or white (fill with foreground or background color) when the alpha channel is 0 or 255 but some gray where it's betweeen 0 and 255.