FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Station cancels Michael 'Savage Nation' over autism comments

handfleisch
Good riddance to bad rubbish

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080722/NEWS/807220363/1001/news

The Super Talk Mississippi radio network has canceled The Savage Nation because of comments syndicated host Michael Savage made about autistic children last week.

Steve Davenport, president and CEO of Super Talk's parent company Telesouth Communications, confirmed The Savage Nation had been dropped from the network's lineup as of Monday.

"It was just horrible what he said," Davenport said Monday.

"When you talk about people in politics, business people, that's one thing. But when you talk about defenseless children, that's another."

(more at link)
myleshi
Quote:
For his part, Savage has issued a clarification of his comments on his Web site, michaelsavage.com.

It reads, in part: "My comments about autism were meant to boldly awaken parents and children to the medical community's attempt to label too many children or adults as 'autistic.'

I agree with Savage, he's right.

Your an idiot.
Bikerman
myleshi wrote:
I agree with Savage, he's right.
Err...on what basis do you say that 99% of autistic children are 'frauds'? Let me see your evidence for this please.
Do you seriously contend that Savage is qualified to make blanket comments like this? I was not aware of his training in paediatrics and neuro-psychology - he must be keeping it very quiet. Alternatively he could be simply commenting from a position of complete ignorance and, by so doing, causing offence. I wonder which it is?
Quote:
Your an idiot.
Hmm..at least spell it correctly...You're
myleshi
Quote:
Err...on what basis do you say that 99% of autistic children are 'frauds'? Let me see your evidence for this please.
Do you seriously contend that Savage is qualified to make blanket comments like this? I was not aware of his training in paediatrics and neuro-psychology - he must be keeping it very quiet. Alternatively he could be simply commenting from a position of complete ignorance and, by so doing, causing offence. I wonder which it is?

I am a parent (12 years now) of a autistic child and have seen firsthand the ease at which these medical opinions are tossed at unsuspecting parents. Your experience?

Quote:
Hmm..at least spell it correctly...You're

Sorry, you are an idiot.
Bikerman
myleshi wrote:
I am a parent (12 years now) of a autistic child and have seen firsthand the ease at which these medical opinions are tossed at unsuspecting parents.
I'm afraid I find that hard to believe.
If you really are the parent of an autistic child then you would know that it is a serious condition, with clear, diagnosable symptoms which are always debilitating and can be devastating (you would know, for example, that up to a third of autistic children never develop significant communication skills).
You would not be supporting moronic statements about 'faking it'.
You would know the difference between autism, aspergers (and other ASDs such as PDD-NOS), and ADHD. You would also probably share my suspicion that Savage confused autism with ADHD because he is ignorant about the subject - as you appear to be.
You would know that autism is almost impossible to 'fake', unlike ADHD, and you would definitely be very angry indeed with statements like
Savage wrote:
I'll tell you what autism is. In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out. That's what autism is.

You would know that autism is a heavy-duty diagnosis, not made 'lightly' by any professional, and done by one of the standard tests, which give a pretty unambiguous result.
You would also know about the diagnosis tools that were used in the case of your child (probably CARS but could have been ADI-R/ADOS) and you would be able to give me the CARS rating for your child (or at least the DSM-IV criteria).
Betcha you can't.

If you really do have an autistic child, and you think Savage's comments were correct, then you probably need some professional help - you certainly need some health education.
myleshi wrote:
Your experience?
Me? I'm a teacher/lecturer with experience in (what was then called) Special Educational Needs, where I worked a few hours a week as an IT support lecturer for 5 years.
I also have two sisters - one is a paediatric nurse, and the other is a speech therapist, working frequently with autistic children.
handfleisch
One major station has dropped the jerk from its line up and the pressure is on Savage at this point.

By the way, he also attacked children with asthma:

Quote:
Savage stated: "[W]hy was there an asthma epidemic amongst minority children? Because I'll tell you why: The children got extra welfare if they were disabled, and they got extra help in school. It was a money racket. Everyone went in and was told [fake cough], 'When the nurse looks at you, you go [fake cough], "I don't know, the dust got me." ' See, everyone had asthma from the minority community."

Info below on how to do your part to get this hatemonger off the airwaves.
--------------

Quote:
Since our last email, the pressure on Michael Savage has intensified as media coverage has grown, along with protests by concerned parents of autistic children, statements from members of Congress, and calls from concerned citizens to stations around the country that carry his radio show, The Savage Nation. As a result, Savage's show has been dropped from the seven-station SuperTalk Mississippi radio network, and the insurance company AFLAC announced it will no longer sponsor Savage's program.

How has Savage responded? By stating, " I stand by my words."

If you haven't done so already, please call the station in your community that carries The Savage Nation and tell it what you think about Michael Savage's incendiary and hurtful comments about autistic children. Click here to find your local station, log into our calling tool, and let us know how your call went. http://mediamatters.org/action_center/savage_autism/stations?src=savage-0723-3

Savage didn't stop there; instead of apologizing to the millions of children and their families living with autism, he falsely recast his controversial comments to claim that they had been taken out of context and by lashing out at Media Matters for America.

Media Matters National Press Secretary J. Jioni Palmer said it best:

"Savage can try to obfuscate matters all he wants, but the fact remains -- his words are his words, and they were clearly directed at children with autism. Instead of trying to shift blame, he ought to do what's right and apologize to the millions of autistic children, their families, and others he insulted."
Bikerman
Just a quick point - please use quote tabs for extended cut-pastes like this.
Personally I have no intention of complaining about Savage. I think he is an ignorant fool and I have no doubt that his comments are hurtful - I know several parents of autistic children who would be incensed by the comments he made (but I have no intention of drawing it to their attention).
On the other hand I am a strong advocate of free speech, and I firmly believe that the way to deal with people like this is to expose their stupidity and let the chips fall where they may.
handfleisch
Bikerman wrote:
Just a quick point - please use quote tabs for extended cut-pastes like this.
Personally I have no intention of complaining about Savage. I think he is an ignorant fool and I have no doubt that his comments are hurtful - I know several parents of autistic children who would be incensed by the comments he made (but I have no intention of drawing it to their attention).
On the other hand I am a strong advocate of free speech, and I firmly believe that the way to deal with people like this is to expose their stupidity and let the chips fall where they may.

Thanks for the tip about quotes, I did it.

I am too an advocate of free speech, but hate speech is the equivalent of yelling "Fire" in a crowded movie theater.
handfleisch
Now Savage has lost a major advertiser.

Quote:
TRN's Michael Savage has been pulled off the seven-station "Super Talk Mississippi" network over his controversial comments made about autism. Telesouth Communications CEO Steve Davenport says the comments were "beyond inexcusable and are unacceptable." He says they heard from "many" listeners, including a number who have autistic children. One advertiser, Aflac, has also pulled their spots from "The Savage Nation."
myleshi
Quote:
Me? I'm a teacher/lecturer with experience in (what was then called) Special Educational Needs, where I worked a few hours a week as an IT support lecturer for 5 years.
I also have two sisters - one is a paediatric nurse, and the other is a speech therapist, working frequently with autistic children.

Which means little to me since I have been living with a autistic child now for many years - day and night. It's not a job to me it's my life.

I would urge everyone to research exactly what autisim is and is not - it is very hard to get an accurate diagnosis.

Quote:
I'm afraid I find that hard to believe.

I really don't care. Laughing
Bikerman
myleshi wrote:
Which means little to me since I have been living with a autistic child now for many years - day and night. It's not a job to me it's my life.
Nah - it's 99% likely to be a fake (since you believe Savage is correct). You just need to have a serious talk with the child.
Savage wrote:
'Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don't sit there crying and screaming, idiot.'
That'll sort it all out - easy!
myleshi wrote:
I would urge everyone to research exactly what autisim is and is not - it is very hard to get an accurate diagnosis.
No. It isn't.
What is Autism?
Autism cannot be accurately diagnosed in toddlers but the CHAT system gives a predictive score which shows up high risk toddlers. *
Checklist for toddlers (CHAT)
CARS is the standard test for childhood autism. *
Diagnosis in children (CARS)

* Obviously you should not attempt to diagnose autism yourself - leave it to a professional paediatrician - but the tests are standard and well proven.
czc587
I think most people should get a life when listening to talk shows. These guys are entertainers and sometimes they say stupid things, but taking them off the air does not do anything, they just go to another station. I don't really believe thay are malicious in their views, the world is just so policially correct nowadays it ticks me off. I don't think the other turkey (Imus) should have been taked off either (even thought I, and most others disagree with his comments).

PS above stop arguing about autism, whatever it is, its not someting you want to have and I have the greatest respect for anyone who has to deal with it or anything that looks or behavious similar to it. Too many goofballs in the world trying to label everything to fit their needs.
myleshi
Quote:
No. It isn't.

Yes it is if you are an intellegent human being.

(Hendricks, 2004) The difficulty in understanding and acknowledging autism, primarily high functioning autism or Asperger’s Syndrome, by the medical, psychological, and psychiatric community, can lead to misdiagnosis and even failure to provide the services needed for students (Autism Today, 2007). Autism is not a disease, or a reaction; it is a developmental neurobiological difference in brain functions. People with autism may evidence difficulty in social interactions, problems with verbal and nonverbal communication, and odd or restricted activities and interests. Symptoms of autism are usually recognized during the first three years of childhood (Introduction, Autism, 2007); however, higher functioning autism or Asperger’s Syndrome is often not recognized until children are of school age.

Believe what you want, who cares.
RubySlasher
God bikerman, you didn't have to jump all over their butt just because they used your quote to tell the other person they're an idiot. O_o

Anyways, I'm also used to the kind of weird stuff people throw at you about autism, since my brother is autistic. My friends have told me all my life "Maybe he's just faking it! Tie him to a chair, don't feed him until he talks! *insert another bright idea here*"
No, sorry.
My brother plays in his shit if you don't put him on the pot every hour.
That kind of level of communication is very unattainable at this point.
Bikerman
RubySlasher wrote:
God bikerman, you didn't have to jump all over their butt just because they used your quote to tell the other person they're an idiot. O_o
I simply pointed out the idiocy and, in the case of myleshi, hypocrisy*. I certainly wasn't having a go at handfleisch.

You are obviously well aware that autism is not something to be faked - so am I. Unfortunately some people believe the stuff that these idiots broadcast and write.

*Who agrees with Savage but obviously doesn't think it applies to his/her child. Oh yes, Savage was right to say that 99% of autistic kids are faking it - just not MY kid. Bollox