FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are you scared to die?

nigam
why or why not?

they said that if you die, everything after it is so beautiful that you won't regret you died, and it should be keep secret.... i guess we will never know until we die...
JoshuAAR
I guess thats the thing, what makes us actually fear dying is the fact that we are going into the unknown. If it was 100% fact that when we die...

Quote:
"everything after it is so beautiful that you won't regret you died"

...then i suppose it wouldn't really be very scary at all. Personally i don't fear death itself, my fear lies in what happens once I am dead. The worst outcome that could happen in my opinion, would be nothing at all. I can't imagine living this life, trying so hard to make something of yourself, for it to just end and stop, to become a 'nothing'.
Thumpercats
No,

Death is a natural part of things. It happens to everyone, so there is no reason to fear it.

As for the post of nothingness.... Think about civiliations of ancient times, no one knows any indivual from them. Only the societies' legacies might live on...
psycosquirrel
Nah. Live life without regrets, treat every day as your last!
tkoh
psycosquirrel wrote:

Everything in this phrase.
The life have a cicle, things born, grows and die, so we dont have to fear the death, because that is a natural thing on the life.
That is my opnion, of course.
J-Evil
I'm not afraid of death, I'm just afraid of dying young and not getting to live a full life. So I'm somewhat careful of what I do on a daily basis.
[FuN]goku
J-Evil wrote:
I'm not afraid of death, I'm just afraid of dying young and not getting to live a full life. So I'm somewhat careful of what I do on a daily basis.
Yeah i agree with what you said. I mean if you're older, then well it's expected. But if you're young , theres too many things you want to do and experience.
deanhills
I think I am more fearful of disease and being helpless in my old age, than death itself. I could never take my own life but I think to die of cancer for example or any other such awful diseases must be the worst nightmare ever. I fear that kind of pain, vulnerability, loss of independence. I also fear the days in old age if and when I would not be able to move around freely and easily any longer, or to lose my ability to think clearly. I think death would then be a wonderful release.
airh3ad
Im not afraid to die . i love my life but i dnt afraid to die cos we where go there i mean thats our line to heaven .
SpellcasterDX
Not exactly. More afraid of HOW I die and WHEN I die then of death itself. Cause I'm barely 14, and there's still so many things I haven't done or experienced that I want to experience. And I'd rather not die in some accident or something. I'd rather die of natural causes but really late in my life. (late 80s, hopefully)
standready
Nope. Natural order. Imagine the mess if no-one died.
vinx_18
definitely not.. All humans are destined to be there.... IT is the last chapter of our lives... I can die tomorrow, today , tonight or now.. No matter how careful we are not to die or no matter how we avoid it... If its your time...it is your time..!
biljap
I know it is natural but I am afraid to die. It is normal for me if you are old enough to die, if you’ve had your chance to live.

There are so many things that I want to see and do. I am scared that one day I might look at my life and realize that I missed a lot of things I shouldn’t miss! That is what I’m afraid of.
jhamz
no I'm not...
ashish2005
Yes, I am scared of dying. Life is so beautiful that I do not want to be dead any time sooner. A few days ago my friends grandfather passed away and we were talking about that. My friend told how his grandfather had passed away and he talked about several health problems of his grandfather. It was like so scary and I really thought about how my time would come one day and I would get out of the world the same way. So, I am really really scared of death. The more I think about it the more it scares me. Specially during the night.
Horizon
Quote:

There are consquences in doing so, since human life is becoming a joke these days and you'll regret alot more then you'd think. But no, I wouldn't fear death, no matter how I die. Although I'd rather die at an old age and die quickly instead of suffering.

As for beliefs, I'm not religious in any way, but my theory is that when you die, you're "reincarnated" into another human baby (exluding the caste system from certain beliefs, I'm not too sure which belief system believes in this) but without any memory whatsoever of your past life. At least you'd get a new start without even knowing it.. Imagine how many times we've actually died, if this were true. But nobody knows, nobody will ever know.

The most shocking thing, though, is that some people have died but have been brought back to life a few minutes afterwards (human technology..). Miracles will happen, and miracles such as this have happened countless times.
saratdear
Yes, I am scared of dying.

There are so many wonderful things in this world, and not enough time in a short lifespan to experience it all. The worst part about dying is that it is unknown. If it is known to us, then it is somewhat better. For example, say X happens to us after death; you could say you are very afraid of X. You could also be not bothered by X at all.

I know it should happen, and it will happen with me one day too, but I want to die without too much of pain, no suffering, preferably, and with the feeling with that I have made the world around me better.
pll
I'm not scared of death.... I'm scared of what it will be after, we all want to know if there is something after... I live my life the best I can everyday. I'm prudent but when your time has come, you can't do anything so I won't try to report it if I know my time has come.

See ya in heaven everyone ! Cool
revani
Yes, i'm scared of death. There are tons of things that i'm yet to do and this makes me fear. I've got to live, get a good job and live as a man in my dreams.

I think that's religion is all about. Helping scared people since '0
Haelyn
Not death per say. It is the fear of 'nothing' that bothers me. Yes, I understand that if nothing occures then obviously nothing is there for me, and I won't know it happened. But I mostly am worried about non-existence. I guess then, it is basically that I don't want to lose my identity.

Because what are you really, other then a conscious mind that interprets events... I don't want to stop interpreting! Smile
theHKN
Not especially its inevitable, isn't it?
James_Hicks
I'm not afraid to die. It's what we were meant to do. I just hope that if it is painful that it doesn't take a long time to die. I do want to see my kids grow up so I would be disappointed (if I can feel disappointed after death) if I couldn't be apart of their lives until they are grown with children of their own.
Horizon
I've been thinking about this 'nothingness'.. It gets a bit scientific, but it can relate to this nontheless.

Your 'mind' is only a bunch of cells/dna grouped up randomly, which scientists still can't figure out how/why. But when you die, all your cells die (eventually), which means you don't have a mind and can't think or feel anything.. or anything for that matter. You wouldn't know that you're nothing, you wouldn't even exist anymore.

Dang, this is why such a topic can get to you. I just wish we knew what happens -.-
loonix
I used to have a huge fear of dying but as I have grown older that fear has left me. I personally believe their is something else once we are done here anyhow.
my_love
yes I am...maybe because I am not yet ready to die, there still a lot things that I haven't done in my life...but then as I thought about it...if its your time you cannot decide for it anymore...when its your time,then it is your time.
Spartan
I fear that I die before I get a chance to play Fable 2.... :O
Nah, I don't fear it, it's coming. Can't avoid it. I did have a small fear while growing up, but that quickly left. Religion also helps in such matters.

EDIT: Just after I posted this, I thought... What if I die RIGHT NOW? Am I ready? (Only 13, 14 in October) My answer was not just yet.
moof
I am really scared to die. I would love to die with no pain. Dying with pain isn't a good death.
ptfrances
I am not scared to die.
This is just the end of life.
Too many people are scared to die and don't enjoy life for that

Arrow
Nameless
I'm not scared of dying as much as I am of the death that comes infinitely after it.
Zombie
yea, the idea of dying is kind of scary, but it's goin to happen so it's one of those things you just have to accept... unless you find a fountain of youth =P
pretty-dreamz
Yeah, i'm so scared to die. It's the worst thing to ever happen to me.
Gonzalo
When you die you can not actually regret anything at all. You are dead. You either should feel sorry for your loved ones and think how hard your death may come upon them due to the simple fact that everything left existance, you are and will remain dead.
tony
I am not. Just me maybe; it doesnt bother me.
bonestorm74
I think most people probably are. We are afraid of the unknown, and death is the greatest unknown. This is the reason why most religions were invented after all.

A lot of people take solace in the thought of heaven or the afterlife. For me, I can't believe in such things, and at times I'm a little envious of people who can.
jsarnold
Have a look at the following article, I think it relates to this topic quite well:

http://www.mysticjohnculbertson.com/death1.html

What do you think?
carlospro7
it's interesting that we say that everything after death is beautiful, it just doesn't make sense, when we probably have no idea. Maybe it's nothing, like there is nothing after death, and once you die, that's it, like when you are asleep, and have no dreams. But then again, I don't know, maybe it is beautiful.
jsarnold
I don't think that was the idea in the article I linked to above. It specifically doesn't talk about how wonderful the next life will be. Instead, it takes this life and points out why it's important not to either obsess about how awful death is, nor ignore this life in the hope of something better, but to take this life by the horns and get out of it all that you can.
Maserman
nah im not scared , death is just one big adventure....
i will feel sad for the ones who loved me but where will we go......

imo with all the stars and planets out there , theres got to be life on one of them...

we go to another planet i think Surprised
Arty
Not really death itself, but experiencing it. =P
simonwest80
Pretty much what other people have said - i havent got a fear of death its self but as someone put "nonexistence" or just not being. Ok we wont know if we are not here like someone else pointed out but just to be nothing, bbrrrrrr, thats scary.
airh3ad
end of life is to die.
xaogo
Has anyone really sat down and really thought deeply about death? It frightens me when i do. Imagine, what happens when you are sleeping, it's almost as if you don't exist for that short period of time that you are sleeping. There is no consciousness, you're just lying there, dead. Sure you have brain activity still, but you aren't really 100% aware of it. Now imagine not ever waking up. That is death. I can't seem to imagine it any other way. that's what frightens me, what happens to our consciousness when we're dead and brain activity ceases all together. Do we no longer exist?

Of course it always helps to have some sort of faith, whether it be heaven or reincarnation. My faith is what ultimately makes life worth living.
RubySlasher
Yeah, though I'm more concerned with it in the way of "what would happen to all those who depend on me if I did?"
The idea is frightening.
molif
im not afraid to die but more like curiosity.. like how does it feel to die.. i mean, its gona happen once and no replay..

how we die, obviously we do not know but everyone wishes for a simple painless death rather than the painful dreadful long lasting pain till death comes..

i just had a friend who died in a bike accident.. it was an instant death.. tt's when i realised we could go anytime, so, we should start treasuring our life..
radiodj20
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

thanks alot ..... u got me worried

and also.... i think im gonna have nightmares!!!!!!!
Shazephre
nigam wrote:
why or why not?

they said that if you die, everything after it is so beautiful that you won't regret you died, and it should be keep secret.... i guess we will never know until we die...

No because it's going to happen wether we like it or not so why waste your life fearing it when you could just live your life and have fun, if your time comes then it comes there isn't anything you can do.
ankitdatashn
yup I am scared to die and why I should not be, after all death leaves everything blank and void. I presume no life after death so naturally it would mean an end to your existence, nothing to do nothing to feel, just black voidness. It sends me shivers down my spine when I think about death!!
ProfessorY91
Death is inevitable. Rather than fearing the loss of life, why not live life to its greatest extent, while at the same time maintaining an awareness of this inevitability?

I do not fear death. I fear the unknown.
-Y
phpc0d3r
I only fear fear itself.

Seriously though, It doesn't bother me knowing I could die tomorrow.
Whether I like it or not, It's going to happen.
And I know my friends and family can deal with it.

I'm a bit curious about what happens after we die anyway.
robinhanks
scared when I was a child. now, I'm to think no longer. Do things well you are facing, it's import and you should focus.
Cyan
I fear not of death it WILL come for us all eventually so what point is there in fleeing from it? I learned to accept it infact embrace it even I find Death quite beautiful ... besides whose gonna miss me if I die anyway?
kristine
im not afraid to die when its my time, its my time to leave this earth.
Seiji
I'm afraid of dying or afraid to know what will happen when I die, like afterlife and all of that. There is so much I want to do and want to see and its frightening to know I won't get to live to see everything. On the other hand, why are we dying to live? When were just living to die.
xavax
standready wrote:

Just about sums it up.
Rajiev
I guess i am.
Cos i"m 25 and i'l invested most of my life for education. So if i die now, All that invesment is in vain :p

And not that i didn't had fun in my lif, But I have more things to do before i die ( as every one)
ainieas
I'm not afraid of dying. In fact i'm one of those that people who look forward to dying. Maybe cause I want to know what lies beyond but more so cause I feel that death is something that liberates you from the shackles of life. Hence death is not to be feared but looked forward to.
j_f_k
definately petrified.

i think there are 2 elements to it - one is the unknown that you go into and the second is how you would die. If I knew for sure I was going to die in my sleep painlessly then it wouldn't be so bad and i'd only have the the unknown to contend with, but the odds are it will be either car crash, punched to death, cancer or heart attack, or a worse, degenerative disease such as park's or alz etc its that second element I'm not looking forward to.

mind you dying in the way of my namesake has a lot to be said for it. although the official time of death was 1.04 pm pretty well everyone knows he died instantly at 12.30 when the 3rd shot blew his head open. The only thing he knew about was the wound from the second bullet (the magic one). hich would have been painful but he only had 3 seconds to think about that one.

I wonder what the effect would be on the fear of dying if you knew with absolute certainty that you were going to die at a particular time and in a particular way.
PatTheGreat42
If you're afraid to die you better not be afraid to live.
mrcool
Yes, I am scared to die because I just stated to have my own family. I wanna grow old with them, I wanna stay longer with them, I wanna see my children to have their own family someday. I just hope it will happen what i wanted to happen someday.
_AVG_
I'm not scared to die ... I mean, it's the next challenge ....

Plus, I believe in karma so, as you sow shall you reap.
mewmewlazlo
No, I am not scared to "die". I do not know if it really does exsist, so I honestly cannot say. I'm not sure you can go through life being afriad to "die", because everytime you fall asleep, everytime you enter a building, everytime you turn a blind corner you might not know what is waiting to happen.
DreamWorld
I don't think that an normal person cannot be afraid to die, it is normal...If you are insane well then it dosen't really matter now would it?
lethaltriad
I'm a lil scared of dying but I usually don't like to worry about things I can't control. Its good to just live life to the fullest and know that if you were to die tomorrow you would have done everything you wanted to do. I try to have a lil fun. I know as I get older the fear would be less as I would have lived more of life and also be more prepared for it. I'm not ready now though, not for another 50+ years ! lol
amitniec
no i am not scared to die. It is natural phenomenon that every thing which gets birth in this earth has to die. So what to fear about death. It has to come and it will come so I do not fear about it.
Futile
No, I am not scared to die. Death is a way of life (no pun intended). Having been in the military and been in several hotspots I have faced death a few times already and lived to tell about it. Death is a stage in life that can't be avoided. It will come whether you want it to or not.

I am a true believer in "If it isn't your time to go. It isn't your time to go." I was in an automobile accident in March of this year. An idiot who was speeding and talking on his cell phone ran a red light and t-boned me. My SUV was totaled. I got knocked around and banged up pretty good but I walked away from it. The police and EMS both stated that I should have been hauled away on a stretcher. Luck, fate, will of God, or karma who knows. Bottom line is was not my time to cash in. No one can help or stop death from coming, so why fear it?
sondosia
No, not really. I don't WANT to die, of course, but I wouldn't say I fear it. My idea of the afterlife is that you kind of define your own reality after you die - that is, whatever you imagine happening is what "happens". It's hard to explain, but it's very comforting. Much more comforting than the traditional idea of heaven and hell.
pruch
No because let's face it, eventually we will all die.
apple
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Death is inevitable. Rather than fearing the loss of life, why not live life to its greatest extent, while at the same time maintaining an awareness of this inevitability?

I do not fear death. I fear the unknown.
-Y

*applause*
beautifully phrased!
apple
I fear the unknown. So many have said that death is nice and heave and all that. BUT do we actually know any of that?

I don't know where I came from or where I am going to, so yes. I am fearful of the unknown.
AlcatrazAgony
For me, I'm going to be honest, No. Everyone will end up dieing sooner or later, All I say to my self is, live life to the fullest, because your never promised tommarow.
jcvincent75
I'm not scared to die. All of us are bound to die. Any moment of any day. For me, if we are afraid to die, and we know that any moment could be our last, then all our life we are going to live in fear because death doesn't have an exact date or time.

Eversince I was five, I wanted to know the feeling of dying. I don't know why, but I think I'm just curious about it. Then, as I grow up, I realized that every human being is going to die so why be scared of it? Maybe, the only thing we can do to prepare us for our death is to make our lives productive. Let's do our best to live our life to the best that we can.

Cheers!
AlcatrazAgony
I agree with you man.
KatanaSky
I'm not afraid of dying, it's going to happen eventually. I know there a lot more things I want to do before I die but if it happens soon, I have no regrets.
thadnation
i personally don't care. if i die, i die. i think im mostly good, s either nothing will happen or i'll go up.
Olly
JoshuAAR wrote:
I guess thats the thing, what makes us actually fear dying is the fact that we are going into the unknown.

If it was 100% fact that when we die......then i suppose it wouldn't really be very scary at all.

Personally i don't fear death itself, my fear lies in what happens once I am dead. The worst outcome that could happen in my opinion, would be nothing at all. I can't imagine living this life, trying so hard to make something of yourself, for it to just end and stop, to become a 'nothing'.

You couldn't be more wrong on this point and you can only say it because you're not going through it and can't imagine knowing what it's like to KNOW you are going to die soon. I can remember playing this game at the pub years ago - "would you rather know you're going to die or not" and most people wished that they knew so they could DO stuff before it happened.

As someone who is actually in this position - the answer is YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW. Knowing all the things you're going to miss, regretting what you haven't had the time to do, or reaching your full potential etc. The sleepless nights, constant anxiety, tears just under the surface most of the time, not being able to make future plans like where you're going for Christmas holidays and so on.

And it has nothing to do with what age you are either! A few of you have said it's OK to die if you're old. What age is old? Old is usually anything 20 years+ older than yours. I would be old to you but I think I'm young.

Allow me to give some advice - don't put your dreams off until later - there may not be a later. Do as much as you can as soon as you can. You can't take anything with you but it's the good memories and good friends you've gathered that sustain you in the end not career positions, lots of assets and so on.

Olly
TurtleShell
Honestly I think most of us aren't afraid to die when we think it's not going to happen any time soon. I'm not afraid now--I think it's natural and I'm just not worried. But I often wonder if I would be afraid if I knew that it was coming.

It happened recently that I had a cross-country relocation. I lived on the east coast, now I'm on the west. Just before we moved, we went to our favorite beach and had a great day, and at some point at the end of the day just before we left, I realized I may never come back to that particular beach, even if I visit NYC again.

I've spent a lot of good time at that beach. So as I was standing there looking at the water and thinking about how I might NEVER come back, and I started to wonder how it would feel if I were dying. I envisioned myself standing on a beach thinking, I might never come back to any beach, ever again. This might be the last time. It was easier to put myself in that place at that moment because I was facing many endings in my life anyway, and I knew everything was all about to change and I was probably going to turn into a new "me" because I was entering a new phase in my life, etc.

How surreal.

Moving is not at all the same as dying but it led me to some strange thoughts--similar things to what Olly brought up. What if I didn't have to plan for anything after the next couple of months? What if I were going to walk down this street or make my bed or see these people for the last time? What if it were my last time on a train or paying for groceries?

People say all the time that they want to live like this day is their last and blah blah blah, but so few of us really do and those who commit to that kind of lifestyle are probably incredibly disfunctional.

However, I started reading the Idiot. I haven't finished yet, but they mention this guy at the beginning--and I'm pretty sure that the author went through this same ordeal--a prisoner who was slated for execution who, at the very last moment, was spared. Can you imagine? Living your last night, facing your final demons, and then at the very last possible second realizing you were going to live? How would that affect your outlook? What would you do with the rest of your life?
lintao
thanks to death,the more we take it serious,the more we treasure our life,haha
Razz [/img]
Bannik
i think you all are insane - firstly you all seem too philosophical about this matter

honeslty how can you be afraid of the inevitable. its like saying I am afraid to get hit in a boxing match.

look at it this way, if you believe in god then you either go to heaven or hell and you will live forever

if you belive in some energy flux or reincarnation dont worry you will also always exist (dont know how since your memories make you YOU without them you are dead)

but if you dont believe in god heaven and all that juju then great when you die it wont matter since you wont think or care...so go wild live for the moment

and dont eat yellow snow
TurtleShell
Bannik wrote:
i think you all are insane - firstly you all seem too philosophical about this matter

honeslty how can you be afraid of the inevitable. its like saying I am afraid to get hit in a boxing match.

look at it this way, if you believe in god then you either go to heaven or hell and you will live forever

if you belive in some energy flux or reincarnation dont worry you will also always exist (dont know how since your memories make you YOU without them you are dead)

but if you dont believe in god heaven and all that juju then great when you die it wont matter since you wont think or care...so go wild live for the moment

and dont eat yellow snow

it IS a philosophical matter. No one knows what happens when you die. Even if you believe you have some idea, the details are a mystery. And the dying process is frequently painful and I don't think that being afraid to die is out of the realm of what is normal or unreasonable. People are afraid of the unknown and they're definitely afraid of pain, so if they're afraid of dying they're not insane, that's human.
suren0203
no at all.
thadnation
this question has been asked on many-a personality quiz. and i got to wonder, why would you be scared? sure, some people will drown, get sick, get shot, or some other premature cause. but most of the time, we die of natural causes. the expected lifetime for US citizens is 75 years. that plenty of time, and thats better than 50% of the world. we have nothing to fear.
amitniec
I am not afraid of dying. as we know that life and death are natural things.Death is definite and it will come.So what to fear about it.So enjoy life...
MeddlingMonk
I don't fear death... however, I don't particularly want to die in a painful fashion, nor until I've got everything done.
DjMilez
Death happens to everyone.... why should I be afraid?
amitniec
i am not scared to die.
It is so because life and death are normal phenomenon.
everyone has to die at last.
smspno
I would rather say that I am more afraid of my family member's or any intimate friend's death than mine. This is because I know that then I would feel lonely and miserable for a very long time (I am very sensitive person).
As far as my death is concerned - well, it is part of the whole human life and because of its inevitability we cannot avoid it. I'm not afraid.
GoldWyvern
If you arn't afraid of death itself then you must have something wrong with you, or have isolated the emotion. Human beings are afraid of death for a very good reason - to keep from doing stupid things and killing ourselves.

So yes, I am.
cueball
Don't Worry, Be Happy Laughing
jmlworld
Quote:
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean

Every single year, month, day, hour, minute, second and even millisecond that passes me reduces the distance between me and the death. The more I do live, the more the death is chasing me.

So, there is no way to get scared of DEATH. Sometimes death is sweeter than humiliating life, and sometimes death comes while you were expecting even longer life.

There is life after death. Eternal life that will never end. If you were nice person, you'll get your reward (a life one thousand times better than the life on the world). But if you were a bad guy, bad guys go to hell.

Quote:
Live like a man and die like a legend!
stel4e
If I have to be honest I am a little ... most of all I am scared of dying in car accident.....
karysky
I'm scared to death of death (pun more or less intended).

It's my worst and only fear. I love life, and I don't want it to end. I'm especially scared that death is nothing but nothingness. And I'm scared to die without knowing it. I want to have time to say my final goodbyes to this world. I'm scared that dying is like when you fall asleep during a surgery: one second you're here, and the next...

But death being nothing, no heaven, no hell... well that's the most logical, scientific explanation. No body, no minds, no conscience... On the other hand, I believe in paranormal phenomenons, and that gives me hope that it's not the total end, afterall.

Actually, the less I think about it, the better. I sometimes get panick attacks when I imagine myself dying with nothing happening after that.. for ever and ever. I get vertigo and I feel nauseous. In these instants, I say to myself: Right here, right now, you're alive.

And it helps.

Someone back said that they would be more scared if they knew they are about to die. I think, for me, it's the contrary. It would give me time to accept it, and get ready for it.

Angelina Jolie once said: "If I think more about death than some other people, it is probably because I love life more." I think that's her best quote.
crabfish
Well of course I'm afraid to die. Anyone who says they aren't must not like life that much. As death is generally perceived to be the opposite of life. We should all not want it to happen and should certainly be 'afraid' of it. If we all had no fear of death, I suppose we might be a bunch of high-risk takers.
vineeth
Death? I hate even that idea...

I am not sure, if I'm afraid of death or not.
amitniec
no i am not scared to die.
it is a natural phenomenon.
everything which exists has to die once.
Crinoid
Not, only pitying, that it takes so long. People, who don't want to die, having a good, useful and productive life, loving friends and family, are frequently dieing young, in their 40s, and who don't mind to die as soon as life stopped making sense, is forgotten by Grim Reaper.

A what will be after the death, hope that there will be nothing, just seizing to exist. For religious there may be expectation to have a better after life.

Worst possible scenario - reincarnation and return to the same life, again and again. I sincerely hope, that my internal self is educated and advanced enough (how modest of me Very Happy ) to become the last returned to life in the spiral of understanding the universe and advancing spiritually.
kogoot
I am scared of death, when I just think, there's no god. But I believe and in my opinion, that's the only thing we have - hope.
LordScorch
Death is a natural thing in life. All things live and die.

On that note, I don't fear death, because that makes it seem to come ever so more quickly. But I definatly want to live my life before death.
ptfrances
I am not scared to die Wink
Suki_Haruno
'm a little bit scared of death... most when I'm lying in my bed and thinking about something, I get a thought like "when you are dead, you are not here anymore." and then I'm lying there like I'm frozen...

I'm really a litte bit scared I think xD
Vaemz
I'm not scared to die in particular but when I feel sick (especially headaches etc.) I have a tendency to think it's some horrible disease that will kill me.
Silk2008
I look at it like Socrates. When he was to be put to death his followers asked him the same question. He explained it like this; If when I die there is no afterlife, then I won't know it. If there is an afterlife then I'll already be there and not have to worry about it. So really what's to be afraid of? Except maybe nothing.
Battle_Off
Im not afraid of dying, but at the same time, I don't really hurry it along, cause once your dead, your going to be dead for a very long time.....

SO we've heard anyway.
Kcin1
The only people afraid of death are the ones that know that they haven't lived a fulfilling life. After a hard days work there is nothing better then having a nice long rest. Life is no different. Once you feel that you have achieved enough in life, death is a much deserved rest.
rebill
No, i wanna die ,BUT I CAN NOT !
mk12327
I personally do not fear death... At least at the moment. I agree with many of the people here who mention that death is all part of life and that there is nothing to be afraid of.

But I do know that for most people, fear will set in only when you are on the verge of dying... Meaning you know you are going to die the next minute but there is nothing you can do. That feeling is very awful. Not that I had experience near-death situations, but I had heard from people who were at the verge of death but survived.

Another aspect to look at is people who attempts/commits suicide. Most people who attempt suicide do not die, mainly because of fear. In fact, some people who attempt suicide might have the fear of not dying, given the fact that its worse of to attempt suicide and survive than to succeed in it. People who drown are bloated, people who tried drug overdose but got saved had to "wash their stomach", people who jump of building might survive with disabled limb(s) and people who cut their wrists had to suffer immerse pain while losing blood. Non is good, so do not attempt suicide.
houdney
I think the reason why people are scared of death is that they believe they will actually be aware at the moment it happens. i doubt anyone is truly aware that they are dying, and I don't mean in a terminal illness time line, I'm talking in the last few seconds it happens because the brain is probably the first part that turns off.

I'm not scared of death, I'm scared of pain.

People might say that death is when all your pain vanishes. It's not, because you're not aware that you are dying and therefore not aware that you don't feel any pain. The only people that are scared of death is your loved ones, because they are scared of your death.
RosenCruz
rebill wrote:
No, i wanna die ,BUT I CAN NOT !

i suppose you are young and there is too much to live....no reason to die..! Wink
endless
I don't really fear dead, and i couldn't care less if i died Rolling Eyes i have no reason to life anyway
watersoul
I'm not scared at all to be honest. I don't think about it, I love every minute of the life I've got and if anything, the only thing I would worry about is the nature of my death when it happens - painless would be my choice obviously!!
As for an after life? Who knows at the end of the day, no-one, if there is a glorious heaven type place thats a bonus, if there's re-incarnation thats a bonus as well, but if its just nothing well its not really going to matter to me then really Smile
selammussie
hell,yeah
I scare to die but only before I confess my sins and involve in
acknowleging the people about God's love with his forgivness
I want to make things to make right
before I die so that I'can straightly go to heaven
when I die! Rolling Eyes
dcfive65
I'm not afraid of death, but Im deathly afraid of dying young and not being able to get married, get kids, buy a house, and a ll that good stuff. I truly believe there is more to life after death. It's simply another world beyong our imagination that it must be kept a secret.
dalibor
no I'm not...
pashmina
Well it depends on what I am doing and also depends on my temper. When my blood pressure is high I am not at all afraid to die, as I am also ready to face any kind of consequences as long as I am right. For the rest vice versa Razz
jsfdan
Really, I'm not even afraid of Mike Tyson.
Fatality
I think everyone has some kind of fear of dying. Maybe not for reasons that others might, but some may be afraid of leaving their survivors. I'm not really afraid of death, but more how I might die. I most certainly don't want to be tortured to death or something horribly painful like that. But I also don't want to leave my family here on earth without me. Especially my parents. No parent should have to live to see their son/daughter die before them.
gugusm
Well, I thought I can say no, but there were few really dangerous moments in my life and then I was scared like hell. Everyone is afraid of dying.
Insanity
I think I'm scared of dying, but when you think about it, being worried about dying is only going to detract from you living out your life to its fullest. Sure, everyone is going to die, so why are you worrying about it? If it's inevitable, then thinking about it is just going to make you scared and depressed, so think about happier matters before you have to go down that road of pessimism.
kirii
yea Im scared of it.. Very Happy
I hope that I can survive forever~~
EDDIE123
I wouldn't mind dying so long as I get a decent and reasonably long life
bonestorm74
Not really that scared now, but at the moment I'm still pretty young and death is looming too large right now. I have moments where I do think of it and they are a little scary.

I'm sure that as I get older and nearer the big day I'll think some more about it. After all, we fear the unknown, and death is about the greatest unknown we have.

I wouldn't so much fear the pain of death, as pain is fleeting. It's more the incomprehensibility of not existing at all. I imagine it would be like falling asleep and not dreaming, and never waking up. Hard to conceptualise but there it is.
m3oody
Quote:
they said that if you die, everything after it is so beautiful that you won't regret you died

I heard that 2 and yet I'm Scared to die.. I Have heard rumors that you might get burned or torchered and I Wish It does'nt Happen!!

If I die I wish for mercy!!
catscratches
I am scared to die, because of the pain it might cause (and it's an instinct), but I am not afraid of death.
standready
standready wrote:

After recent events, I look forward to NOT being anymore.
silobean
im not afraid of death..im afraid of how
andredesignz
Well honestly am scared to die, why u might ask, because if my life isn't right with God am sure am going to hell, but if it is i know i will have a chance for Heaven
sana618
i was once very afraid, if you are told that you have less time to live and the chances of recovery are very less than you start thinking about the life you have lived. the mistakes you made and if you hurt anyone. the urge to right the wrongs and leave a very good opinion of yourself in peoples minds and heart is very huge.
but when the recovery is made and you are told that you can live for a long time, you realize that what a great gift you have been given, and try your level best to be the good person you tried to be
and try to make as less mistakes as possible. but hayy we are only human!!!! can't avoid them.... Very Happy
jiangshan
I am not afraid to die but I scare to die very painfully!
Kunkstar7
Personally I wish not to die, not so sure if I'm scared of it. But I know for a fact that I want a quick and painless death. Prolonged torutre definitely doesn't suit me.
PennyLane
yes: I don't know how it would be like, there are so many things I still wanna do and I would never have children (if I die now)
no: if I'm dead I wouldn't even know or care I think
Raivaka
To be honest, I am afraid of dying. I mean, I really have no clue what's going to happen after I die. I am also very afraid of how I will die. Embarassed
hamza1122
i kind of take this as a religous viewpoint so its not that im scared to die its just that im scared to feel the pain while im dying. Like if i got shot i wouldn't want to feel any pain but i wouldn't be scared if i died. Well, really depends how i die. lol
snowynight
JoshuAAR wrote:
I guess thats the thing, what makes us actually fear dying is the fact that we are going into the unknown. If it was 100% fact that when we die...

Quote:

...then i suppose it wouldn't really be very scary at all. Personally i don't fear death itself, my fear lies in what happens once I am dead. The worst outcome that could happen in my opinion, would be nothing at all. I can't imagine living this life, trying so hard to make something of yourself, for it to just end and stop, to become a 'nothing'.

You are so naive to believe that beautiful things exist after death. I think life will nolonger be when one ceases to be. Sprit or soul to life is what sharpness to a knife. And when a knife vanishes, the sharpness will disappear accordingly.

MAN will die off one day, but we cannot say life is not important at all . The process itself is worthwhile. On the other hand a normal life will benifit others. say , if you can live millions of years, you will use up much of the world's resourses, then how can others survive? Live and let live. Very Happy
livingontheedge
I use to be scared... but now I realize it happens to everyone. I like my sleep so Im looking forward to a lifetime of sleeping Smile
seannie
I'm not afraid of death, I'm just afraid of how I'm going to die.
I just want to sleep and never wake up. Smile
Parkour_Jarrod
im not afraid of death, the thing im afraid of is a cage, a cage and torture.

Also people that are scared of death and spend the entire of there life doing things to prevent it is stupid, it comes to you in the end,so you spent the entire time not doing anything fun and adrenalin filled to die a poor stupid death like being hit by a falling bus...
valadez
I know life has it's cycles and it's what happens to everyone etc but personally I am absolutely terrified of death. I can't comprehend any kind of afterlife or anything like that. It just doesn't make sense in my head. All I can imagine is once you are dead that is it. All that is left of you is your corpse.

That is what terrifies me.
Crinoid
I'm looking forward for it and had high hopes, that I will die before 40s. Crying or Very sad No luck.

Now why:
Let me repeat a common joke:
"1. Will you sacrifice this (insert anything important to you, starting with smoking) for a something more important for others. - Yes, I do.
2. Will you sacrifice that (starting for sex, for example) for that is more important for other (for common good, for the sake of family or community). - Yes, I do.
3. Will you sacrifice your life for that (same as above)? - Yes, of course. Who needs such life?"

My answer will be the same: who needs such life? Laughing

And about what they tell: they will tell, as long as you will pay them in this life Confused
"Find who benefits from that", you know.
DoctorBeaver
This post is quite pertinent to me as I have terminal cancer and have only a few months to live; and this is a question i was asked during a recent radio interview.

No, I'm not scared of dying. At least, not yet. Maybe as my time comes nearer I will start to feel differently, I cannot say.

I cannot see anything about death to be scared of. To me it is no more than the end of a journey, the journey through life. I am not an overly-religious person. I do not believe in Heaven and Hell. I do not feel that I have to make my peace with God. If you believe there is an afterlife then that is something for you to look forward to. If you do not, then there is nothing for you to fear or worry about. For those of you who believe that in death we are re-united with our loved ones, isn't that a good thing?

What scares me more is that in the late stages of my illness I will be bed-ridden and totally dependent on other people. Death, in that case, may even come as a relief from pain and suffering.

I do not want to die, but it is something that comes to us all. The great and the lowly, black and white, regardless of religion or race, all have that in common. We should not fear it. It will either bring a better existence or total oblivion.
guru09
Thumpercats wrote:
No,

Death is a natural part of things. It happens to everyone, so there is no reason to fear it.

As for the post of nothingness.... Think about civiliations of ancient times, no one knows any indivual from them. Only the societies' legacies might live on...

He pretty much summed it up. Death will happen to all living things, no matter if your a tree, a cell, fish, etc etc... For humans, yes its scary, but just pray and God will make things easier and he will make all scary things go away.
AleSSiiOo
Nope, if i die i die with honnor Wink
lantyne
no because im gonna be with jesus in heaven......
man that was preachy.. ofcourse im scared who knows where im going or whats waiting for me in the afterlife ? so im gonna use my life to the fullest !
invizibility
Death! It will come to you no matter what but the concept of heaven and hell has really ****ed people up. They are more scared of the afterlife and end up doing nothing in this world. No one has seen what happens next and so you just live the life that you do see.

Live a good life. What is a good life you ask? Thats another debate Smile

I
Horizon
Scared to die..? No. Scared AFTER death? Well it's not really being scared, more of being anxious. I've got no problems with dying, but after death is where things make me think and struggle. There's no real answer as to what happens, and that's the problem. Only the dead knows what happens.. and maybe not even they know.
carlospro7
No, I haven't thought it enough. I'm too young to die, hopefully I won't have to think about it for another 80 years.
shrykull
Hi,
What happens after your death depends on your conscious or let's say mind impressions acumulated during life time. All and compleate information about the death process and the later phenomena are written and reachable to everyone in the "tibetan book of the dead" The author of this is Guru Rinpoche, the first to bring buddhism to Tibet from India.

I am myself buddhist practicioner for quite a while and I tell that we have a special practice in buddhism called conscious dying "phowa" You learn there what happens during death and how to gain better rebirth afterwards...some kind of heaven but for buddhists...

If you felt inspired google these keywords: phowa, tibetan book of the dead, Lama Ole Nydahl.
Good lack to You all.

P.S. I have been several times to phowa course and I tell you that I am not afraid to die, If deatch approaches I Will hug it firmly, really!
Xaferrow
Scared to die?
yes

Why?
coz im full of sins

Another reason?
coz i havent married yet, i dont wanna die before i marry someone

xD
CosmicDisturbance
I'm kind of afraid to die, but not compleatly. I believe in god, so I believe that we go to heaven or hell when we die. I personally think I'm not a horrible person. Not at all. I don't think I'll be going to hell. Heaven appears to be a better choice.

Also, I don't believe in Purgatory either. If I understand right, Purgatory is nothing... so I don't really worry about nothing when we die.
erlendhg
The first thought that came to my mind when I saw the question, was no - I am not especially afraid of dying.

But second thoughts, can one really answer that question? To me, the answer will be how I feel about dying the very moment before I die, and I guess that I after all might be afraid of dying.

Wouldn't it also be right to say that fear of dying is a mechanism that lies within the human instinct, protecting us from death? If we really didn't fear death at all, then why doesn't everyone try to take their own lifes all the time, just for the fun of it?

Nameless wrote:
I'm not scared of dying as much as I am of the death that comes infinitely after it.

That is actually very wise words.
Jamatu
I think the question about whether your scared to die affects a lot of people. My main thought is being dead is like before you were born or when your asleep. You won't even know your dead because it'll be nothingness forever. But then again you can't 'know' anything because your dead. Then there's the religion side of it - how can we even be alive, life itself is just.... weird. It's a scary though and will play on anyones mind who thinks about it too much.
Kaseas
Well it depends, right? Dying in my sleep would be fine. Dying by drowning wouldn't be.
shrykull
Quote:
You won't even know your dead because it'll be nothingness forever

This statement proves you uphold nihilist view about life and death. Nitche was not right, nither materialist idea of life and death is right. If materialism was right stating that things really exist by themselves independently from the experiencer (You) that would mean that Shakespeare was right say to be or not to be...but scientific theories stopped considering that theory since Einsteins theory of relativity. Which by the way explains that phenomena are not the same in all perspectives or situations. If they can not be the same and always, then they can not be declared real existent or absolute.

There were conducted many experiments with NDE (near death experiences) and I tell you that people revived to life, where there were no brain waves for short time, state about similar experinces i.e. moving through a tube where at the end of it was clear light etc. What does it prove to You? If you still nihilist or materialist than it is fine with me but if you tried to find more about it, you would know that neither nihilist nor materialsts are right. Than what is true? Maybe the middle way the Buddha talked about? "Form is emtiness, emptiness is a form form and emptiness are inseparate."
Not long time ago scientific experiments proved Buddha statements to be right. They sptitted particles to smallest ones, if I am not wrong they were quarks and left it in closed vacum container, guess what, it dissapered. Again they let this container to be empty and vacum of anything and there a quark appered by itself...[/quote]
shrykull
Quote:
You won't even know your dead because it'll be nothingness forever

This statement proves you uphold nihilist view about life and death. Nitche was not right, nither materialist idea of life and death is right. If materialism was right stating that things really exist by themselves independently from the experiencer (You) that would mean that Shakespeare was right say to be or not to be...but scientific theories stopped considering that theory since Einsteins theory of relativity. Which by the way explains that phenomena are not the same in all perspectives or situations. If they can not be the same and always, then they can not be declared real existent or absolute.

There were conducted many experiments with NDE (near death experiences) and I tell you that people revived to life, where there were no brain waves for short time, state about similar experinces i.e. moving through a tube where at the end of it was clear light etc. What does it prove to You? If you still nihilist or materialist than it is fine with me but if you tried to find more about it, you would know that neither nihilist nor materialsts are right. Than what is true? Maybe the middle way the Buddha talked about? "Form is emtiness, emptiness is a form form and emptiness are inseparate."
Not long time ago scientific experiments proved Buddha statements to be right. They sptitted particles to smallest ones, if I am not wrong they were quarks and left it in closed vacum container, guess what, it dissapered. Again they let this container to be empty and vacum of anything and there a quark appered by itself...
TurtleShell
I'm honestly not sure if the reason I'm not scared of dying is because its probably not going to happen for a while yet anyway, or if it's because it seems like a strange thing to worry about. Actually, if I found out I were dying, I think I would more likely get some of my life together...do all those things I want to do...as it is I'm just dragging my feet through the mud.
iwrite2576
Yes I am! I am very scared to die because i still want to do a lot of things. I do not want to leave my love ones so early as well.

-------------------------------------
shopaholic confession
Solon_Poledourus
Interesting question, though it seems it has sparked a bit of chat about the existence of life after death, etc. Which was not what the question was asking.

So if I may, I'd like to clear some things up.

No person or group has EVER proven ANYthing, one way or another, about life after death, one way or the other.
Certain ideas, such as near death experiences, are completely personal, and not shared by EVERY person who has experienced what we call a "technical death", where all signs of life are gone. Most people experience nothing, however, they don't get media coverage because it's boring. Which is not to say that NDE's are any less interesting, or worthy of study, they just simply are not proof of anything.
Nihilism, Buddhism, Materialism, etc., are all only philosophies. If they were concrete, they would be called something else.

I consider myself a logical thinking being, and as such, I have to be provided with more compelling evidence of an afterlife before I jump on board that train.

That being said, I can't really say that I "fear" death, so much as I do have some apprehensions. I definately don't look forward to it, though part of me is almost curious about it. And the older I get, the more my apprehensions give way to curiosity, and perhaps even a strange comfort.

I suppose time will eventually provide us with either all the answers or none. My biggest complaint is that we don't get to choose.
gotiobg
JoshuAAR wrote:

Quote:

shrykull
Solon_Poledourus,
Quote:
Nihilism, Buddhism, Materialism, etc., are all only philosophies. If they were concrete, they would be called something else.

You are partly right in your statement for buddhism is more than philosophy, it is a religion of experience rather than belief. But if I had to be strictly accurate I must say buddhism i s a "legion" rather than religion. If we see the semantic meaning of word religion originating from Greece we read that this meaning of this word conveys the reunion or return to lost state or place. Just like it is in Monotheistic religions i.e. Christianity. In Buddhism we don't go back to fallen paradise. Budhhas teachings clearly say that our pecepion and experience has been clouded by ignorance since beginningless time therefore upon reaching enlightement we liberate for the first time, not again like in Christianity. Therefore a legion is more accurate than religion.

Anyway, though you are right about that NDE are less freequent than state of unconsciousness in clinical death, the fact they appear at all means that nihilistic or materialistic view does not apply to reality. Thay are part of philosophy which helps to survive or destroy but they aren't true or ultimate view that lead one to happiness and end of suffering. Yet Buddhas example liberates and enlightens, but all you need to do is to put some effort to apply those teachings to yourself.
Solon_Poledourus
shrykull wrote:
You are partly right in your statement for buddhism is more than philosophy, it is a religion of experience rather than belief.

[Middle English philosophie, from Old French, from Latin philosophia, from Greek philosophi, from philosophos, lover of wisdom, philosopher; see philosopher.]
That pretty much sums up Buddhism.
shrykull wrote:
If we see the semantic meaning of word religion originating from Greece we read that this meaning of this word conveys the reunion or return to lost state or place.

Actually, according to Merriam-Webster(and just about any other dictionary), the origin of the word religion is as follows:
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back. From 13th century.
shrykull wrote:
Just like it is in Monotheistic religions i.e. Christianity. In Buddhism we don't go back to fallen paradise. Budhhas teachings clearly say that our pecepion and experience has been clouded by ignorance since beginningless time therefore upon reaching enlightement we liberate for the first time, not again like in Christianity. Therefore a legion is more accurate than religion.

In Buddhism you return to Nirvana through enleightenment(being a lover of wisdom, as in the definition of philosophy), quite like a return to a lost paradise(much like the way you define Christianity).
Rook
nigam wrote:
why or why not?

I don't fear death in the slightest. Although that might be my recklessness that comes with youth. Slightly justified in the fact that even getting hit by a car does no more than bruise me Laughing Ever see Unbreakable with Bruce Willis? Kind of like that haha.
missdixy
I am a little scared of dying, but above all I am scared of the ones I love dying -- mostly my significant other and my mother. I am not very close to my mother but she's always been there for me, and she's been in my life and has done everything she can for me for such a long time. I can't really picture life without her. And my significant other -- we are very, very close and I really do believe he is my "soulmate" (or something like that). We really are perfect for each other, and if he died I would be so lost.

The horrible thing is that I think about him dying a lot, like if I am just waiting for it to happen, and I end up upsetting myself to the point of tears and/or panic attacks :/
Solon_Poledourus
missdixy wrote:
The horrible thing is that I think about him dying a lot, like if I am just waiting for it to happen, and I end up upsetting myself to the point of tears and/or panic attacks :/

I know that feeling well. Ever since I was a kid, I remember constantly thinking about death, and how it affects me internally. I imagine my loved ones dying and it's uncomfortable. Then I think of myself dying, and I get a nervous curiosity built up inside. My mother used to say I'm morbid because of that, I'd just like to think I'm very curious.
sw0277
No im not scared to die! Dieing is a natural part of life and i dont think you should be scared... If its your time to go then its your time to go, you should just be thank-full that you had as much time as you did!
Greatking
most certainly NO. that is why i am living my life to the fullest. enjoying myself. cause there is death. i want to die knowing that i have lived a fulfiled and successful life. i know my relationship with God. i know when i die i will see him. so i am not afraid of death.
Denvis
Simple answer no. I'm only afraid of pain which comes with death. Very Happy
shkumbin
I am not afaraid to die, everybody will die it an inevitable process, and I have no regrets or sins that I should worry about so I can die whrerver it happens......
emonbd
this must be the most fearfull event of life. the point is what i'd do? freaked out and do things or be a spectator. both are interesting indeed.
deanhills
It's probably going to be a main and final event. I can imagine it will be as natural as birth, except maybe we will be more conscious of our passing than we have been when we were born. Depending on our health status.
RipperGOD
Nah! I aint, its the fact and destined the moment I/WE born! so nothing to afraid of death but How I'll die thats something to be afraid of! Neutral
wanshi
nigam wrote:
why or why not?

I think, one died, and then all is over ,no relatives, no money ,no food ,and even no ideas.
human just is a kind of species , a died man should be like a died tree.
shkumbin
I am a religious person and firmly believe that after we day there will be a judgment day
and everyone will be asked for his sins or good deeds and than by the mercy of God
we will be put in heaven or hell and live forever. This is what I believe and it helped me realize
a lot of questions in the life.
spring567
I am scared to die ,because I have a lot of things need to do and I want to know many things that I don't know .
Greatking
i shall not die but live todeclare the works of the lord. my dreams must come true, my vision must be reality before i depart. i must be 100 years old before i die. i am not afraid of death.i will only die when i am done on this earth. death awaits everybody, but what i think is evil is when a young, vibrant person dies. its like a beautiful flower cut short. spring dead and winter setting in. its like the sun cut short of its glory. so lets live until we are done. then we can die. dont fear because it awaits at the end of the tunel! and you only get there when u are done on this earth. so therefore there is no fear!
foreverdestiny
At this age, hell yea I'm scared! I got a million things to do with my life but once i hit 90's or somewhere close to that I wouldn't care much however I do not want a painful death.
ProfessorY91
Nameless wrote:

Very well said. While some may think religion is a means to dispel the fear associated with death, and the finality associated with death... I counter that claim by designating religion to be the explanation of death itself, and that particular plane of existence or non-existence.

Have you ever thought of the fact that you are validated only by your presence in someone else's thoughts? If you were to exist alone, you could never really be sure of what you were. But if you have other people around you you now have some way to compare yourself. There are people on both sides of the line that is death.
skygaia
Well.....
I know I'm going to die some day. So I think I'm not scared to die in the future. It's just one of the process of my life.
But..... I think if I face death suddenly, I may say "I don't want to die" Shocked
dr2g0n1
no n ever in the life
paskifire
Nope I'm not afraid to die. What bugs me is the death of my love ones, not my own death. If my time is finished then be it. I'll accept it and leave the Earth peacefully.
Jamestf347
It's very scary, but it's inevitable to happen. It's something I always wonder, what's it like dieing ...
Ashtray
Not to die, but to what might happen if I die.
misterXY
Nope. Infact l challenge death head-on. That's how you know you lived your life too the max. Twisted Evil
Dean_The_Great
Nope. Not really. Maybe it's because right now I'm diluted by the fact that I believe I will live an incredibly long time, but I don't fear death, as there is nothing to fear in it. It is inevitable. As my philosophy teacher so aptly said "None of us get out of this thing alive!"
paskifire
I'm ready to die anytime, if it's my turn to disappear in this world then I'll accept it.
anarhistu
I do not think is someone who can really say that is not frightend of dying. I am, because dying would mean to leave everything and beeing unable to come back. And when you think serious, for just few seconds, you realize there are tons of listed reasons to stay alive. But then, dying is the only real freedom that we have... should we take advantage of this freedom? This is the real freedom, but does it worth the ultimate price? I would not die unless this would be the reason I live for.. but is not. I am more scared of living than dying, but I think living makes more sense than dying. And i rather be slave in this world than be really free and somehow alone.
czarulit
a few times i've been close to die (car crashes), but i haven't expirienced anything like 'whole life standing in front of my eyes', so i think i'm not so afraid of dying.
Denvis
No, I'm not scared of dying. Like many of the posters have started, life has a cycle. You are born, you age and you die. Where dying is the end of the long journey. What I am scared of is how exactly am I to reach the end of my life cycle. Will I die from murder, accident, age? The fear of fear itself is also what I fear. Lol

I would have to say, many people are scared of death but will not admit to it. People are also curious as to what will happen when you die. Is there really a heaven/hell? Do we reincarnate? Or do we enter a never ending sleep? We don't know.
ankitdatashn
I am definitely afraid of dying, I dont believe in life after death, whatever fills it afterwards is a black void that is vast enogh to engulf the whole sould in itself.

Consider this: you become blind, it means you lose eyes, whats the consequence? you cannot see everything is black.

Now consider this: you become deaf, whats the consequence now? you cannot hear anything, the whole world appears muted.

Now lose your hand, now everything appears out of reach.

Now lose your skin: you lose the touch

Lose your sexual organs, now you've got no pleasure.

Lose your tongue, the taste's lost

The brain the thinking is lost.

Now lose everything, you're dead, you've lost everthing and you didn't even exist. Hope any brainy one derive meaning of what I'm saying!!
ratanegra
No, I am not.

I have thought of that and it makes no sense for me to be afraid of death. If we are here, it's because we were somewhere else before, and I suppose that if we were somewhere else then something has to have happened to us, kind of a death or a choice that we have made to come here...
foumy6
I really don't know to be honest. I sometimes think about it, I don't really belive in heaven or hell. I really think of it as like your sleeping forever and you just keep dreaming. Thats what I think it's like, but it's a really hard topic to thing about because if you have loved ones who have died you want to know if your ever going to see them. Will they greet you when you come? Did they got to the same place as you, or did they get stuck in limbo. See there are just so many questions the more you thing about this question is self. It's really confuseing. Right?
hyipmonitor
nigam wrote:
why or why not?

No i am not atoll scared to die as we have to die one day or other so why to fear of death .I think we should overcome this fear of dyeing ....
Ophois
I see people die fairly often. As a Paramedic, I have watched it happen dozens of times, under many different circumstances. Anyone who says they are not afraid to die is deluded. A fear of death is a healthy, and necessary, survival mechanism. If a human or animal loses that fear, then they are prone to making more mistakes which will put their lives at risk. Don't kid yourself people, fearing death is normal.

For the record, every person I have had the displeasure of watching die, has been afraid. Granted, most of the people I have seen go through that door, have done so under traumatic circumstances. But even the people I have seen die 'naturally' in a hospital bed, have not been exactly comfortable with the idea. There emanates a sadness, apprehension, and fear from them which is palpable. I just hope that when it happens to me, I am completely unaware of it.

As the old joke goes; I want to die the same way my Grandfather did: peaceful and in his sleep. Not screaming in panic, like the passengers in his car.
chasbeen
Yes
biljap
I would be sad that I would miss some thing in my life because I think I’m too young to die… But no, I am not scared. What’s the point of being scared, you won’t feel anything after you die.
pscompanies
Now would be an opportune time to quote the saying

"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives." - A. Sachs

It is unwise to waste one's present life has while pondering about the future (including death).
ankitdatashn
These days I am getting too fearful thoughts and they wont just let me sleep. What I imagine these days is that an asteroid is just about to strike the earth and I would be smashed, And I wonder just now if it will smash just now will I ever be able to post this message. Too worried! Also the changed thought is that a nuclear bomb will explode in my city.
qtwaiter
yes! because I love the world, I love the life, I love my family!
fubu
yes im scared to die because i dont want to leave my loved ones and i know they will be sad if i die..i dont want to see them crying and hurt..but dying is part of evryones life..it will come no matter what happens..no matter how we throw the thought away! Sad
rafaelplinio
nigam wrote:
why or why not?

I think that there is more between earth and sky that we can think of...
One think is sure.. nobody knows what happens when you die!!!
There is no way to think what can happen after life time...

I'm not affraid to die... i'm affraid the way it will happens!!!..r.srsrsrsr

bye!
foumy6
sometimes yes i guess i dont know this is a difficult thing to think about but thats probly because there is no real answer. if you think there really is no firm proof on what will happen affter you die so you dont really know if you should be afraid it or not. its so complicated and hard to think hard to think about it make my head hurt >_<
brianadams
I'm not afraid of death, I'm just afraid of dying young and not getting to live a full life.
xevo
I'm not scarred of being dead (not living anymore) but rather of dying (pain).
Dying in a fire would be the worst I guess but I also am afraid of drowning/suffocating.
For some reason I always see myself dying in tsunami LOL
cybersa
I scared to die.
CheDragon
I don't wanna die, but still death doesn't scare me, it's natural
drunkenkoz
Why should anyone be afraid of death. It's the way of life and all humans have to experience it at the end of their lives. I have no reason to be afraid of death. I accomplished everything that I wanted to do in life, so when my time is up I'll accept it whole heartily.
ProwerBot
Of course dieing scares me a little. But to be honest, we can't run from it forever. Everyones gonna die at some point in time, some intend to deserve it and some don't. But the fact of the matter is: it IS going to happen.
sudipbanerjee
yes I am afraid to die. I am 33 years old. I don't know in old age what will be my thinking about death, but at present I love my life. So I am afraid.
ProfessorY91
I've probably already posted earlier in this thread, but who cares when we're necrobumping threads from the 90s and stuff.

Actually there was a surprisingly insightful response made as an offhand comment. The comment was... "I'm not afraid to die, but I'm afraid about the way it will happen". Ironically, I am as well. I figure that I'd like to go out fighting something, with a bang, getting speared through the heart with a sabre or something equally awesome. The way our society has gone, though, I'm more likely to die wasting away on a bed somewhere, from a disease that I could have avoided by eating more sesame seeds or something equally hogwashy. I don't mind if my death is a painful one, but I'd rather not have it drawn out. (Google Sawing Torture - probably one of the most painful ways to die).
Greatking
Certianly not.
My life is in the hands of God and I will die at the right age and time.
To live with this kind of mind I don't have any problem.
gabipricop
nigam wrote:
why or why not?

Greatking
Certainly not.
I am not afraid to die.
Because I know I would have lived my life to the fullest.
And Jesus is preparing a better place for me.
There is hope after death.
menino
I'm afraid to die a painful and meaningless death.
So I'll live my life to the fullest Smile.
Bikerman
I don't see how the two are linked. A painful meaningless death could follow a quiet sedate life, or it could follow an action-packed roller-coaster of a life...I can't see how the latter influences the former - unless you intend to put yourself in harms way siufficiently to rrisk premature death,,,,

Pain in dying is something that should soon become an rarity - at least in the west. Paliative medicine has come a long way and is still moving at pace. It should be possible to reduce pain to manageable, if not very minor levels for most people when the time comes. If it came to that, I would do the deed myself and stop the pain that way - a lethal cocktail of tranquilisers, opiates and stimulants might be an interesting way to do it, but I'd have to research it properly.....

As for actual dying - how can that be scary? Remember the wise words of Epicurus:
Why fear death?
Where I am, death is not.
Where death is, I am not.
What is to fear from that we will never experience

(slightly paraphrased)
IceCreamTruck
I don't fear death because life is over. There is no "oh man, I'm dead" because you are DEAD!

What I fear is pain, and I feel this is understandable for many of you. I'm jealous of those who don't feel pain the way I do, because if I felt no pain or if that feeling was diminished, then I'd have nothing to fear. As it stands I am a very sensitive person, I feel too much, and I wish this wasn't the case.

If pain was a wine then I'd be a taste tester! I seem to feel every aspect of pain that one can feel, and pain is often overwhelming for me as with a lot of people.

It is my hope that one day I transition to death without it involving pain.

I do agree with Bikerman that pain at death is being limited in the west, and I'm a big fan of that. One could argue that without euthanasia western medicine puts some people through a great deal of pain without a way out, but I doubt it's more pain then they are helping people not experience.
Bikerman
I am in favour of assisted suicide - but mostly on individual human rights grounds rather than specifically to avoid pain. I do not see who, other than the individusal, could possibly have a beter claim to that individuals body and what is done with it. The moral argument against suicide is largely religious and therefore, in my opinion, special pleading based on the bigotted assumption that people who believe in a sky fairy have some right to tell people who do not how to live and die - some 'higher' authority. Well they can kiss my backside and call me nancy before I'll accept that.
The more reasonable arguments against are all of the 'slippery slope' type as far as I can tell.
ie - if you allow a few severely disabled people to use a third party to assist them in dying when they choose then pretty soon it will become a torrent of people 'offing themselves' for trivial reasons.
I think that is wrong on many levels but it would hijack the thread to pursue it in detail here, so I'll save it for another time.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
I am in favour of assisted suicide
I'm in favour of it too, but mostly in cases of diseases that have progressed beyond being saved, such as cancer. There is a point at which the suffering is so great, the cost so enormous that it is immoral not to help someone pass on if they should ask for it.
Bluedoll
deanhills wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
I'm in favour of it too, but mostly in cases of diseases that have progressed beyond being saved, such as cancer. There is a point at which the suffering is so great, the cost so enormous that it is immoral not to help someone pass on if they should ask for it.
Is that not against the law? If I were to tell you, I want to end my life right now (because of my circumstances) and you convince me (even online) that it is alright and encourage me to do so . . .
Bikerman
It is against British law, yes.
Why would I encourage someone I don't know to commit suicide?
In fact there are cases of this happening already on 'suicide chat rooms' on the internet. I believe one chap (a nurse believe it or not) encouraged many young people to suicide.
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
Is that not against the law? If I were to tell you, I want to end my life right now (because of my circumstances) and you convince me (even online) that it is alright and encourage me to do so . . .
I'd have to know you very well first, and I did say cases of diseases that have progressed beyond the point of saving. Such as cancer. And no, I would never try and convince anyone to take their life. They would have to ask me for assistance and convince me that it is the right thing to do. It would also have to be someone I'm close to. A personal friend or family.

There are ways of legitimately tweaking medication and I'm almost certain quite a large number of people are doing it, with the help of their doctors, but without coming right out and saying they are doing it. For example if one is taking medication for a heart condition and morphine for cancer at the same time, then if the morphine dosage is increased, it can kill the person. The doctor may have a suspicion, but I doubt in the case of terminal cancer that a doctor would make a federal case out of it. Unless he has reason to be suspicious, i.e. that it was done without the consent of the patient.
IceCreamTruck
Yes, it's finally saturday! Smile I just wanted to post here because I'm still laughing about this

bikerman wrote:
kiss my backside and call me nancy

lol

PS. we really should start collecting these ... actually I am doing that now! label/tag: "friquote" this way we can search for them! Smile
Greatking
When u know what u have been opromised it means u are not afraid to die.
I know whst God has promised me.
He has promised me eternal life with him in heaven that means I will finish with my work on earth before I meet up with him in hesaven.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
PS. we really should start collecting these ... actually I am doing that now! label/tag: "friquote" this way we can search for them! Smile
Perhaps a great idea for a competition too? Friquotes. Ocalhoun sometimes comes up with good ones in the Politics Forum when he is debating Handfleisch. Very Happy
willbritt
no need to fear from death......because everyone has to fae it....but no oone know when.....
TurtleShell
I am absolutely not scared to die. I'm not scared of what's coming next after this life, whatever it is, and I think that if I did die tomorrow that I would at least get relief from my problems. Not that I prefer to die, but heck, may as well look on the bright side.
Nintendo
I've thought about this question a lot before seeing it here...

I don't think I'm afraid of dying. I don't want to die ofcourse. But if I was put in a life threatening situation, I would like to think I'd have the ability to do the right thing; not the thing that suits me best. Being afraid of dying would instinctively stop that from happening =x
smonroe
no i am not scared to die....
TurtleShell
Nintendo wrote:
I've thought about this question a lot before seeing it here...

I don't think I'm afraid of dying. I don't want to die ofcourse. But if I was put in a life threatening situation, I would like to think I'd have the ability to do the right thing; not the thing that suits me best. Being afraid of dying would instinctively stop that from happening =x

I think that you and I agree that we're not afraid of dying in a rational way. LIke, just sitting here now at our computers, we can say that our brains are not currently afraid of dying. However, if put into a life or death situation, our instinctive reactions would be to feel fear, and our rational selves would have to override our instinctive drive to protect the self. I mean, I don't know this from personal experience, but from what I've heard, its not as easy as it sounds. SO while I don't feel afraid of dying at a time when it seems highly unlikely anyway, I don't know how I would feel or what I would do if I was in a life or death situation. I too like to think that I would do the right thing--whatever that may be--, and prioritize appropriately, but I really have no idea. Not all of us are that strong, and I don't have any way of knowing whether or not I am. That's kind of scary. So this post makes my previous statement

TurtleShell wrote:
I am absolutely not scared to die

sound simplistic and stupid. I guess what I meant was that my rational self does not right now feel afraid of dying. Possibly this is something that will change as I become older and death is starting to feel more likely.

My grandpa recently made the decision not to seek specialized medical care for a condition that will likely kill him. I feel a weird amount of respect for this. It's got to be scary, knowing that death could come from within, but he seems comfortable with his choice.
deanhills
TurtleShell wrote:
My grandpa recently made the decision not to seek specialized medical care for a condition that will likely kill him. I feel a weird amount of respect for this. It's got to be scary, knowing that death could come from within, but he seems comfortable with his choice.
My father did the same. And that made me think a lot about it. When one makes a decision like that isn't it more about being afraid of life in pain? So choosing one thing that one fears more than death? So there may still be a fear of death, but disability may be a greater fear?
pirate
My answer to this is simply no, death does not scare me because I believe that when it is your time to die it is your time and there is nothing that you can do about it. Also if you fear death then you wont be able to live life how it should be, exciting and on the edge
TurtleShell
Interesting that you want your life to be exciting and on the edge:) Personally, I'd like life to slow down. It moves too fast.
TurtleShell
missdixy wrote:
I am a little scared of dying, but above all I am scared of the ones I love dying -- mostly my significant other and my mother. I am not very close to my mother but she's always been there for me, and she's been in my life and has done everything she can for me for such a long time. I can't really picture life without her. And my significant other -- we are very, very close and I really do believe he is my "soulmate" (or something like that). We really are perfect for each other, and if he died I would be so lost.

I worry about my significant other dying. But sometimes I feel bad because I think that I worry about it because life would become impossibly hard if that happened. Of course I would be unimaginably sad, but I have to think that my sadness would probably be squashed by the insurmountable problems I'd be facing without her, most importantly, the way it would affect our daughter. I think our entire family would fall apart.
crawford
Not really scared no but doesn't mean that I'm open to dieing anytime soon lol.
deanhills
crawford wrote:
Not really scared no but doesn't mean that I'm open to dieing anytime soon lol.
Laughing None of us are .... Very Happy