FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HELP!! System Restore.....

jarred89
Hello,

I turned my computer on today and when it was booting up it said windows cant load because some file was corrupt... So I did a system restore like it told me to. When i was doing the system restore it said none of my documents would be lost.. Once the computer has done the system restore the computer comes on and all My Documents have gone! is there away for me to get them back?

Please someone out there must know how to get it back..

Thanks,
Jarred
nTonio
It couldn’t be … you are sure, that those files aren’t somewhere else ? Try to use find option From start menu or from your folder browser tool bar and look for them carefully.

First thing to bring back your files, if in some way they were deleted is not to install or move/copy any files! It’s the most important thing.
Then U have to use some recovery software. For example free software that U can use:

PC Inspector File Recovery 4.0
Recover Files 2.1
UndeleteMyFiles 2.6
billgertz
get more information here > http://askbobrankin.com/system_restore.html about system restore Very Happy
Pokhara
System restore is reversible- It can be completely reversed if you don't like the change. Goto syart menu-> programs-> assoceries-> system tools->system restore and try to restore at a point before you restored the computer. That should solve the problem
thedinh
using a free recovery software to get your files is the best choice, but not all file types could be recovered. when my windows gets problems, i used to repair it by WindowCD.
do you think so??
Diablosblizz
I think system restore is a horrible "program." I was majorly into modifying my Windows XP installation with themes and whatnot, I tried Object Dock and it messed my computer up to the high heavens. My computer was completely unusable, and so I figured "Why not use a restore point?" Alright, this may work. It didn't, I had still had files from the program (while the restore point was a few days before installation) and some of my games have been half deleted, my characters gone.

So, basically I will never use system restore again. In my opinion, I think it's time to format your drive and start fresh again.
Chinmoy
System restore folders are tha haven of viruses.It is a stupid feature which everyone regerets after use. It sends your already virus infected or anyway screwd up system to an even more unusable state. I always keep it turned off.
ProfessorY91
First:

Run a search for *.doc on your computer. Allow it to finish, to see if an alternate My Documents folder has been created and/or renamed by System Restore.

If this fails to come up with anything

Start > Run > msconfig > System Configuration Utility > System Restore > Undo Last Restore point
will return your computer to the way it was. A corrupted file can often be fixed using the OS Disc and running the Repair option (For XP) Insert Disk > Boot from CD > Repair Existing Installation > Go through wizard > Restart computer.

There ya go

Y
osodarck
probably what you did was a "Repair" and not a "Restoration" in this case you will find your files on:
C:\Windows.old.
Note that "C" represents your system partition (Where Windows is installed)

More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
khanzin
Osodark hit the point!

Did You a system restore or a system repair?
mcamargo
Connect your H.D in another computer and run scandisk. Probably just some corrupted files
shkhanal
System Restore does not remove any documents. It is never possible. Only if you had new exe files those might be lost. I never knew that system restore deletes any of the user files.
aningbo
stop kidding me people. system restore doesnt or cannot delete any file. its probably hidden. uncheck the hidden options and then see it again.

system restore is the best. make sure the system restore u are going to doesnt have any virus on that specific date. i always and frequently create system restore and always being careful while using pendrives and other drives.
Diablosblizz
Chinmoy wrote:
System restore folders are tha haven of viruses.It is a stupid feature which everyone regerets after use. It sends your already virus infected or anyway screwd up system to an even more unusable state. I always keep it turned off.

Exactly. Basically, system restore does nothing. Waste of space on Vista.
sanalskumar
Try some file restoration utilities if your missing some documents only. Try "get data back". Simple and powerful...