FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Stranged thing ever happend on your pc

neji
What is the stranged thing that after happened with a PC that you know of?

Why? well..
4 hours ago, just before dinner my Power Supply exploded. Result: me buying a new pc soon. =(

So, my PC exploded when reinstalling Windows XP after a format. Surprised
Think my next PC will be an iMac! ^^
raine dragon
I had a PC catch a virus and start singing to me once. That was an interesting experience. XD
Helios
Hard disk locked up because of something (still not sure what it was) - I couldn't really access it using windows nor linux. Eventually a friend of mine who's quite an expert with hard disks gave me a CD that did the recovery. Strange thing is that I didn't lose any data at all Confused
Yantaal
mines pretty wierd, every now and then it just talks to me, there can be no windows open and it wil start playing a sound file. One time it was ghost busters, made me laugh, but i do still wonder whatit is.
molif
nothing much..

but there was once that my windows all being closed automatically and a few seconds later, all my windows are back as it was used to be.. i didnt blink of what was happened..
Helios
molif wrote:
nothing much..

but there was once that my windows all being closed automatically and a few seconds later, all my windows are back as it was used to be.. i didnt blink of what was happened..

Probably explorer.exe restarted.
Drawingguy
For a time, the disk drive simply stopped working, in that I'd put in a cd, but it just wouldn't be recognized, no matter what I did. Another time, I was using an external sound card, and I was so frustrated, because whenever I started the computer, the colors would be disotorted and inverted, while eveerything would be in a terrible resolution. Eventually, it turned out that whenever I started the computer with the sound card still in it, it would do that...but then the sound card wouldn't work if I inserted it after startup. SO, that was the end of that.

Yeah...it's just not the same as an exploding/singing computer...
psycosquirrel
I work in IT, so I could go on and on..

But the most interesting would have to be the computer we had that shot CDs. It was a system we built to be distributed to a customer. They insisted on having extremely high-end (yet silly) hardware in the systems we were building, such as solid state drives, Lian-li cases, Quad-core Xeons (even though the C2Q's would have been just as good), and finally... slot-load DVD-RW drives.

The slot load DVD-RW drive on one of the systems was defective. It would spin the DVDs up, then eject them. Forcefully. It would launch DVDs across the room. I found it quite humorous, but needless to say, my boss was not amused and we had to send the drive back for replacement.

I've also had rats, mice, and all sorts of insects jump out of computers.

I've seen two systems that caught on fire. One of the fires I put out, the other I just saw the aftermath.

One of our clients uses her top CD drive tray (on her home computer, of course - no smoking at work) as an ashtray. She brings her computer in from time to time, and it is GROSS.

Software-wise, I haven't seen too much interesting stuff. We keep the network locked down like fort knox, so nothing really gets in or out.
Arseniy
My floppy (yes! I have floppy drive Smile ) suddenly appeared as HDD drive with 900 gb of memory. When I tried to load something there, it displayed an error. After restart all was clear.
That was almost 5 years ago and I still try to understand what was that.
MtgRuler
lol, i looked at this and thought, I have a good one... This is nothing compared to what happened to some of you

Once, for whatever reason, all my text looked as though caps lock was on, even though it wasnt. Turning it on didnt help at all, nor did Shift.
It was fixed once I restarted my computer Very Happy
J-Evil
My CRT monitor is messed up. The green electron gun doesn't work anymore so white is displayed as purple now because there's no green in the mix, and any other color just looks yuck Sad

And sometimes the green electron gun comes back on by itself, for short periods of time then goes back off again :s
HalfBloodPrince
461 viruses from one downloaded program. Lmfao.

MtgRuler wrote:
lol, i looked at this and thought, I have a good one... This is nothing compared to what happened to some of you

Once, for whatever reason, all my text looked as though caps lock was on, even though it wasnt. Turning it on didnt help at all, nor did Shift.

That means you had SmallCaps on Razz
DjMilez
um

1. I googled something about tornado sirens and I clicked on something and it brought me to a automobile site <_<
2. I tried saying "Hi, my name is jason" into a voice recognition program once and it thought I said "To see in him"
3. Task manager wasn't responding once xD
4. GNAA?
Diablosblizz
The weirdest thing that happened to me how a computer works one day and the next day it doesn't? Seriously, I tested a computer a day before actually connecting it to the internet and it never turned on. Somehow over 24 hours I corrupted a hard drive. Next was a user issue where if I logged in it would shut down the computer instantly, that was only for that one user though.
Horizon
Diablo, you might've gotten a common scam through instant messaging, where somebody sends you a file that has the command for shutting down your computer. There's a way to resolve it, but I'm not sure how. But that's just a theory.

The strangest thing that's happened to my computer was when my computer started deleting files, but it wasn't sending them to the recycle bin. They were random files, and it even deleted some of the users.. luckily we had a backup and fixed it, did a virus scan, and nothing was found. It hasn't done it since..
SamiTheBerber
One night I went sleep like normally. I have always my PC on, I use it like server. In fact I have few virtual servers in it.

When I woke up on morning, I was wondering how quiet it was. Then I noticed that my PC was turned off !?! I haven't done it so I thought it was because of lack of electricity. My alarmclock hadn't reseted so I'm not sure what was happened with my PC.

But that wasn't all. I had before strange background noice on my speakers, but after this miracle shutdown I haven't heard that annoying noice :/
deanhills
Mine is probably along the virus lines. Happened twice to me in 2006. First had a worm and then a real virus, and so of course had to do the usual reformatting of hard disk, re-loading of software, really annoying. But the guys I took my computer to were real savvy, and the good part has been that my computer has always turned out in better shape with new improved software courtesy of my IT buddies. This is one thing that is good about computer challenges. They are most annoying and time-consuming to resolve, but there is always an off-setting positive, either laughs to be had, or something new to be learned. Sort of strengthens the bond with them I think :>)
william
Strange stuff that happened to my PC...well besides the stuff that happens when I modify system files or overclock too much, I remember, quite awhile ago...something strange did happen. It wasn't actually my computer, but what happened to it was that it randomly turn itself on in the night. Nothing in the BIOS, and I don't think it was the operating system...kinda weird. I don't have access to that computer anymore...nor do I remember anything else, but that's probably the strangest thing that I've ever seen with a PC.
Socioed
raine dragon wrote:
I had a PC catch a virus and start singing to me once. That was an interesting experience. XD

yes yes, That happened to me before. There were these smiley faces popping up around the screen, and in the background it was singing... " you are an idiot! hah ha ha ha ha ha ha hah" on loop. I was lmfao. But, i restarted my comp and nothing was wrong
EFYL
I once had a hard drive physically corrupt and connect the 6 and -12 vold circuits. . . It blew out my power supply (as in exploded capacitors and blackened resistors) without breaking the fuse. Oh, it also took out the sound card. Everything else was untouched.

I didn't realize it was the hard drive at first. . . . I tried to use it to back up information in another computer while that one was down. . . Bad mistake, though my other computer's power supply had better protection on it and just kicked a circuit breaker for about 20 min.
saratdear
From what I remember, nothing too bad :

Once my computer overheated and shut down. I unscrewed the case to find dust clogged over the processor fan. I had to clean the whole thing out.

Occasionally, services.exe terminates unexpectedly, which means the computer has to restart.

And the rare blue screen of death...
takashiro
Luckily nothing strange have never happened in my personal computer. Pay attention to looking after your PC more. Very Happy
RiCtee
Mine? A Word document appeared mysteriously on my desktop, after I had deleted it days before. Opening it would result in an error, meaning it doesn't even exist on my hard drive. The real problem is that it keeps on appearing at different intervals - sometimes when I log in, and sometimes for days at a time.

VERY annoying having to delete it. Oh and I should note it was hidden, but I had the "show hidden files" setting turned on.
LumberJack
I think the strangest was when I was able to connect to my universities wireless connection, when I was about 40km away. It didn't work though, lol. It just said connected. 0_0
ashish2005
The strangest thing that happened to my PC was when I connected an external TV card. The monitor acted so strange. It was on for a sec and then off and then on again and then off again and this continues until I switched off the power to the TV card. Then when I tried to turn on the computer the monitor stopped working.

After having my monitor fixed, out of my stupidity I tried connecting the tv card again. The same thing happened again and in addition the tv line was burning. I couldn't touch my cpu because of the electric shock. This time after switching off the power, only the monitors green color was gone. Red and the blue color were still displayed but the green color was gone.

What did I do with the TV card?
I gave it to a friend Twisted Evil
Wuppie
A little virus or something that creates a moving window with a black and white flashing smiley, and a sound that says "You are an idiot, hahahaha". Try to click it away creates 2 smaller windows with flashing smiley, and now 2 smileys singing "You are an idiot, hahahaha". It multiplies every time you try to click them away. Rebooting the computer was the solution.
Helios
Wuppie wrote:
A little virus or something that creates a moving window with a black and white flashing smiley, and a sound that says "You are an idiot, hahahaha". Try to click it away creates 2 smaller windows with flashing smiley, and now 2 smileys singing "You are an idiot, hahahaha". It multiplies every time you try to click them away. Rebooting the computer was the solution.

More simple solution would be going to the task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and closing your browser process Razz
It's not realyl a virus. It's an old flash script that was made to fool people.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
Diablo, you might've gotten a common scam through instant messaging, where somebody sends you a file that has the command for shutting down your computer. There's a way to resolve it, but I'm not sure how. But that's just a theory.

This computer is a server computer, no IM / P2P downloading clients at all.
odonnellb
i was once changing CD drives and my computer went POOF and set on fire, and i got smoke all over me and dust, but no fire (thank god)
Magicman
I've randomly had a laptop running XP decide to add passwords to every account. The accounts didn't have passwords before so I couldn't access anything. A restart solved that problem.
lagoon
Well, it's not really anything big, nor is it anything to do with my computer, but when you type in 'special people' into Google Images, it used to come up with 'Related search results: Retards'

Think
bellebello
The strangest thing that happened to me is that the dvd-rom suddenly ejected on its on in the middle of the night. Real creepy. Another time my pc died and I couldn't restart it until i opened up the casing and found a dead lizard.
jmlworld
I used MS Outlook as my default email then an Internet warm has invaded my computer, which at that time, was both my personal computer and a network server.

The Internet warm screwed up everything. It replayed messages to recipients sent out unsolicited emails, went through the network and messed up everything.

At that time, I was an average computer user and had no so much clue of what malware is.

It was the worst warm experience I ever had...
adri
Hmmm the worst that ever happened...
Well when I was inserting a LAN-card for my old pc so it can go on the internet, I managed to breake the videocard... Confused Result: The pc is somewhere in Africa right now.... (gave it away with charity, they will fix it and send it to africa...)
rajupp
odonnellb wrote:
i was once changing CD drives and my computer went POOF and set on fire, and i got smoke all over me and dust, but no fire (thank god)

Shocked Shocked Shocked this is s**t crazy. I just cant imagine something like that happening to my PC. All my books will burn off if it happens Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
pll
My old PC was not able to boot up correctly. So we took the hardware parts out (Hard Drive, CD drives ect) but we let the ESSENTIAL PARTS in.
So there was a little battery, believe it or not, I only had to take it off the motherboard and put it back... And everything came back!! Wink
rajupp wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked this is s**t crazy. I just cant imagine something like that happening to my PC. All my books will burn off if it happens Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

You might get a good PC cooler or switch the place of your PC to another room.
georgeodowd
Oh how inspirational!

I've had the random sound playing business before... scared me nearly out of my pants. It was one of those sample songs that comes with WMP or something. The best part was no audio programmes were running at the time.
I also once discovered by accident the keystrokes that rotate your desktop display 90 degrees. Here I am, pounding on the keyboard in frustration, and the next thing I know, I'm looking at everything upside down. Took me a while to figure that one out...

Ah, computers! Such beastly things we can't live without.
Firilacroco
One day, while I was surfing on the internet, I saw a warning from my firewall. I got about 100 trojans. I quickly started a full scan, but it was too late. They broken my Hard Disk. I deleted the whole C: using DOS. Smile and I tried to copy my important documents from the other drives. Those trojans drove me nuts.
speeDemon
Well.. My pc isnt quite much of a "good personality" every now n then it keeps on doing something stupid...

But about 8 months ago... the weirdest thing happened! Me and my family had gone 2 a vaccation in a hill station... v had looooaaaddds of fotos so v decided 2 make CDs while v wer still in d hill station.

After coming back... we put d CDs in the scomputer so that v coul take the pictures onto d PC.
But the PC had something else in mind! it first gave an error message, and then CRUNCH! It was making a snack out of the CD!!!!!! We shut the computer down by the switch, when v opened the drive, pieces as small as this> @ > were made of the CD!

other than that whenever we made it read a CD, it wud very badly scratch the edges of the CD...

Next thing>> New Drive!
chai_aicah
strange thing that happened in my pc,

is when im playing game, then i got annoyed,

what i did is kicked my cpu,

and then the whole pc didnt work for a month,

and then, after a month i tried to open it again,

believe it or not, my pc worked. isnt it strange???
murrendesign
Back in windows 3.1 I acquired a bunch of game disks. They were just a hodgepodge of random games and softwares.

The one was called roach.

I installed it and it put a bunch of roaches on my screen that crawled around. They wouldn't go away till you restarted your computer.

I was really young so I thought I installed a virus. It freaked me out!
Spartan
LumberJack wrote:
I think the strangest was when I was able to connect to my universities wireless connection, when I was about 40km away. It didn't work though, lol. It just said connected. 0_0

Happens... Razz
Same thing happened to me... Except I was a country away.. I was like OMG! FREE INTERNET!
Strangest thing for me, is that my PC restarted alone, for 3 times, and then it died. It was the hard drive, not sure why though, long time.
moof
Got a new video card but my power supply was TOO weak for it.
This pretty much makes me crash ingames. >_<
_AVG_
The most weird thing that ever happened on my pc was :

- It hung suddenly
- Then the screen became blank
- Ten minutes later a message came stating that it was a Hard Disk failure
- The next day, it was working fine!!!
Zuex
I took out my RAM, put it in the wrong way, turned the PC on, the motherboard fried, hours later i placed it in correctly, and now its working! LOL!

Super computer ftw.
Nameless
The internet and all who dwell on it are the strangest things to ever happen upon my PC.
razhan
hehe, strangest thing happen to my pc is my pc cannot complete shutdown... i need to trn off main swith for complete shutdown.... last time i also get a chance to see my dvd rom in fire when i put on cable in wrong direction Laughing ...
ashen
My dvd-rom combo CANNOT burn dvd because it didn't include the dvd-rw, but before a virus attack on my computer it CAN burn dvds! o.O

My friend just told me that dvd rom combo is impossible to burn dvds, but I have the proof. There are several dvds that I've burned. Shocked
BCV36
Probably a BSOD for no reason. When I went to bed that night my computer was fine but the next morning I had a BSOD. It was weird. Lukily we were able to get it fixed.
neji
rajupp wrote:
odonnellb wrote:

Well I had a fire. Just installed me a new table for my pc.
I had big luck that it didn't happened in the middle of the night.
TheLastKnight
Well, when you surprisingly get rickrolled.

And when your computer can't start cause it's missing a necessary file to run.
leosthenerd
LOL rickroll Very Happy I randomly smoked a power supply in my old pentium 2 computer, I went to change something in bios and it started bellowing smoke like a choo choo train Very Happy
ftv_flung
I started up my computer once and my whole desktop was completely different :O I had logged on as Admin.. for some reason my usual username wasn't on the welcome screen. The desktop was back to the Windows XP "green field, blue sky" background... Luckily my data was still on the computer, but for some reason it had created a new user account... and I couldn't access the documents under my username! So I booted up in Safe Mode and very luckily managed to save my stuff.. deleted the newly created username and backed up everything... A few days later I completely reinstalled Windows because it was acting strangely anyway.

It was a very weird thing to happen, and I'm even sure why it happened. I'm pretty sure I didn't download any updates from MS Update etc... and no crazy viruses either haha Smile
sulavaryal
ashen wrote:
My dvd-rom combo CANNOT burn dvd because it didn't include the dvd-rw, but before a virus attack on my computer it CAN burn dvds! o.O

My friend just told me that dvd rom combo is impossible to burn dvds, but I have the proof. There are several dvds that I've burned. Shocked

i think you actually fired up your DVD just to prove that they can be burned Laughing
sulavaryal
i was testing a virus in sandboxie environment yesterday.Dran thing penetrated into my harddisk. Evil or Very Mad

installed a so called live tv streaming software it ate my internet connection. I was left fuming and figuring out what went wrong. I just reinstalled the whole thing. And Just remembered that i had vmware thing installed. too late
silentdae
haha some interesting stuff here.

Hardware conflicts/malfunctions can cause some very hard to trace problems.

Last week I got an annoying windows virus (well, a BHO I believe) despite having professional up-to-date anti-virus.
I was trying to work on a game (programming) and I go to enter a folder and I get
"Attention, (username)! Some dangerous trojan horses detected in your system. Microsoft Windows XP files corrupted. This may lead to the destruction of important files in C:\WINDOWS. Download protection software now!"

I knew this wasn't the type of message windows would be popping up, it was too specific and not very professional.
So I searched google and found other people experiencing this.
Anyways, it was all a PITA to clean up.
Wuppie
What is rickrolled?
Stubru Freak
The strangest thing that happened to my PC was when my monitor would change colours when put in another position. When I turned it off and on again the colours were back to normal. But I couldn't move it or they changed again.
It had nothing to do with the cable, I checked that. Maybe an electric/magnetic field or something.
FunDa
One was when I got a strange virus which would open and close the CD drive tray at intervals. for no apparent reason.

When I finally traced it and tried to kill the process from Task Manager, it kept multipying.

Another was the time when my monitor became color blind. So if I had any red, it became some othe rcolor/.
jackkilbey
well it wernt my computer but at school in a lesson once, the monitor caught fire!!!!!

It was funny
[FuN]goku
Well, I suppose it would be the time I went to install my Graphics drivers on my laptop, and my system locked up during the install and it somehow managed to mess up my Bios, so i had to send it back to Dell for a new motherboard lmao.
jsarnold
I used to teach computing in school and was responsible for maintaining the systems. Often computers would start crashing - and the cause was overheating.

Why were they overheating? On opening the case I would find heaps of sweet wrappers clogging up the fans. The children would sneakily eat sweets when teachers weren't looking, and then dispose of the wrappers secretly by sliding them through the vent grills in the case.

Needless to say, quite apart from overheating and other such damage, the smell was pretty awful.
pmehta51
Ok, here is the strangest thing that happened to my pc. I worked at place that was like 3 hour away from my home. So I was staying as a paying guest at one family I knew during weekdays. And in one weekend I was driving to my home. My laptop, which is my pc was in trunk. It was afternoon and it was really hot outside. So my car was hot so was my trunk. And it affected my laptop. So when I came home, and opened my laptop the screen was really distorted. I mean before I turned on my laptop it was fine but when I turned it on half of the screen was gray and only I can see picture in half the screen. To get it repair I had to pay like 100$. I learned a lesson and, from now on I take really good care of my laptop.
bonestorm74
I can probably remember the worst thing that happened on a PC. This was back a while, around 1996 when I was at university. It was crunch time with exams and assignments and everything was a bit of a mad rush - we had about nine assignments to do in a week and a half right before exams (this was after coming back from six weeks practical work).

Anyway, the last day before exams I still had one assignment to do. Typically my method was to write my assignment out on paper to get my thoughts down, and then type it in and print it out. This day I was left with only a couple of hours or so till deadline, so I opted to just type the damn thing straight in. Well, all went well. I made sure I saved often. Then came time to print - just in the nick of time!

Low and behold, the mighty Windows 3.1 froze. No problems I thought, I'll reboot and try again. Well, after reboot, I found that the saved file was completely gone. It must have been corrupted/destroyed during the crash.

I let out a very loud expletive.
silverdown
It was about a year ago my PC only had 3 sticks of 128 MB RAM so I purchases 3 512MB RAM sticks. I took the first one out no problem took out the second I got this most painful shock and I thought I had left the power cord in. I checked and did not, then my friends said it could have been static and my mother board could possible be toast. After grounding my self and taking out the last 128 card , I pop in the 512 cards and restarted Thankfully it worked it fine.
brokenadvice
A few years ago, I spilled an entire glass of orange juice on my dads computer, Seconds before he finished his books for the year.... The display got jagged discolored and the image slowly waved away. Thankfully a ctrl-s saved the file, and (after draining the OJ and drying out overnight) the computer it was still operable.
jsarnold
That reminds me of how I used to clean keyboards.

Again, when I used to be a teacher and in charge of the computers, one of the most disgusting things was cleaning the keyboards and mice. this i sback in the days when all the mice had balls.

Both the keyboards and mice would rapidly get in a disgusting state. The keyboards would end up full of nail chippings, hair, biscuit crumbs, sweets, sticky blobs from dried drinks and other things best not to mention.

The easiest way to clean these enmasse was simply to put them under a shower. I'd take a few home, spray them down with a power shower, and then hang them up in the airing cupboard for the weekend.

They came out perfect!
Josso
Had unstopable music before. Closed everything on the taskbar, even started closing stuff in task manager as well. It's always beenc completely unrelated music to whatever I'm doing as well. Also had a serious breach of security once where my computer got seriously infected with something - the desktop changed itself to a red warning message which said "YOUR COMPUTER MAY BE INFECTED!" and programs started going crazy - the keyboard cursor would skip between letters so stuff like "cheese" would come out as "heesce". Those are the only things I can think of.
jdpd
neji wrote:

Why? well..
4 hours ago, just before dinner my Power Supply exploded. Result: me buying a new pc soon. =(

haha funy u shud mention that, my friends PC also blew up when reformatting from vista to downgrade to XP, powersupply didnt blow tho, computer started smoking and making a sizzling noise. I think the CPU is stuffed, but its weird it still starts up, an will load DOS for a period of time, then starts sizzling and smoking. Not the best combination...
tidruG
Well, on my present computer, something really strange happens. Every now and then, the font automatically converts to some sort of Arabic font. No matter what I type, it comes out Arabic. Then, I have to press Backspace and remove the whole thing, and then it goes back to English again. :P

I guess I'm going to have to just reinstall Windows one of these days...been a long time coming anyhow.
apple
bellebello wrote:
The strangest thing that happened to me is that the dvd-rom suddenly ejected on its on in the middle of the night. Real creepy. Another time my pc died and I couldn't restart it until i opened up the casing and found a dead lizard.

lol...ahahahaaa....sneaky lizard!
apple
ah memories....

when I'd just begun using the internet I stole my cousins bedroom key and used his pc when he was not at home...so this is me browsing and having a time and I see a flashing banner saying that the pc was infected and I should get it cleaned now...

stupid me did not know it was an advert and I started to cry, I shut the pc down and hid the key...LOL
----

One day I was using my 1st pc and as I sat there typing away I heard a click and the monitor went black...I near had a heart attack!!! I did not know it was a sign it was going bad...I was sure I messed it up.
----

I was working on something and suddenly it shuts of, and I am like..."HUH"?
so I try to reboot, nothing.
I try again, nothing.
I opened it up and then found that it had over heated to the point that the board melted!!!
--------

I tried to password protect a folder with some 'questionable' pics....I turned the pc off and went out...then someone calls me and asks for the password and asks why I locked the pc...I started to sweat and get reeeeeeeeeeeally nervous, I had to say it was a virus (probably)

LOL
adoreyourself
Hi all, I'm new to the forum..

I connected the power to the audio lead from a CD drive on a customers machine.. smoke starting pouring out of the back..

I pulled out the lead before it set on fire, the lady customer said "my goodness, thank gosh you are here - that could have happened to me"

I didnt charge her for the CD fitting Smile

Very Happy
hizzy
Well a couple months ago, one of the keys on my keyboard got stuck, cant remeber which it was, but for like a good 20 minutes all the windows i had open just kept minimizing and maximizing out of the blue, i couldnt stop it, just had to restart the pc, it was weird hasnt happened again tho ? crazy
rockx502
probably the oddest thing happened at school actually. last year (i was a sophomore and i had 2 junior friends who are geniuses with computers) my ex girlfriend approached one of my friends, matt, and said that something was wrong with her computer.
so he took her out in the hall during our webmastering class (teacher didnt really care as long as we had the projects and assignments done. but he only let me and my 3 friends out of the classroom normally.) my friend chris (other junior and my partner in project) went out to help so i went out too.
turns out she tried to reinstall Windows XP Home on our school bought and issued laptops and it messed up during installation for some reason.
what it did was wipe everything like it was suppsoed to do, and did a partial reinstallation but i dont see how that was part of it.
it installed explorer and thats it. didnt install system files, didnt install drivers, didnt install anything else. she said it did a complete installation and she shut it down after she was done the night before. my friend matt had 3 computers running (mine which was the same model, his for reference and help... plus he was messing around with a game XD, and hers cus he was working on it.)
the part that really sucked. he tried to connect to wifi. no driver. ok so we will use ethernet cable. no driver.
we tried to install the drivers off my computer using a flashdrive and the internet. no the computer didnt read the flash drives because there was no USB driver. X\
he took it home and reinstalled windows then my friend who is a hacker... kinda just revamped her computer and recovered all her files.
it was a interesting class period tho
rockx502
Josso wrote:
Had unstopable music before. Closed everything on the taskbar, even started closing stuff in task manager as well. It's always beenc completely unrelated music to whatever I'm doing as well. Also had a serious breach of security once where my computer got seriously infected with something - the desktop changed itself to a red warning message which said "YOUR COMPUTER MAY BE INFECTED!" and programs started going crazy - the keyboard cursor would skip between letters so stuff like "cheese" would come out as "heesce". Those are the only things I can think of.

see... that is the perfect example of a virus tho. lol
when ur computer says its infected. that usually is the virus saying ''heh looked whos f'ed over now!''
alot of people think its their computer telling them that but the computer wont say anyhting normally and try to take care of it or ignore it until its unuseable.
on this laptop i am 100% positive i have a virus but my computer is like '...uh glitch?'
idk how to get rid of it but its the one where it asks you what you want to open up the C:/ drive with when u try to open it up with my computer.
its crazy.
but that right there is a virus.
mk12327
william wrote:
Strange stuff that happened to my PC...well besides the stuff that happens when I modify system files or overclock too much, I remember, quite awhile ago...something strange did happen. It wasn't actually my computer, but what happened to it was that it randomly turn itself on in the night. Nothing in the BIOS, and I don't think it was the operating system...kinda weird. I don't have access to that computer anymore...nor do I remember anything else, but that's probably the strangest thing that I've ever seen with a PC.

That happened to me once too... I remember switching off my Pc and my electrical outlet before I go to bed but in the middle of the night I heard noises coming out from my PC... I thought it was just my imagination (And since i'm really tired), I decided to ignore it and continue sleeping... Strange thing is when I woke up the next morning... the PC was off but the monitor power is still on!

Till now I still do not know what really happened but to convince myself that its not something "spiritual" going on, I finally decided to believe that one of my family members secretly used my PC in the night and forgot to switch off the monitor...
phpc0d3r
Well, the worst thing that's ever happen to me was my hard drive dying and I just ended up building a whole new computer.

One weird thing the new one does is I have a webcam that will work on any other pc/laptop except for my own. It actually pisses me off. I have a feeling it's a corrupt driver, but nothing I've done has fixed it. I'm too lazy to go buy another one.
radiodj20
it crashes when i play a certain java game in firefox 3
Bonesy
Well, Windows crashed on me multiple times (ran a ubuntu on my old computer and THAT never happened!)

Caught a virus, and it opened pop-ups like mad. No offense to anyone but I prefer Ubuntu over anything!
joharin
I had this experience where my screen went all black all of a sudden. After a few seconds I saw "ants-like" articles appeared on the screen and gradually becoming bigger and bigger.

I restarted my pc and then I never had the same problem again. Until now. I mean it was like 3 years back.

Weird huh?

My sister once tried to recreate a poster in Photoshop where she accidentally deleted long ago. After a few hours and she satisfied with the "remake", she tried to save it under the same name that she used to name the previous file.

That's when she can't save it.

She kept getting the same error saying that the file name already exist.

But we couldn't find the file in that folder even when we had changed the option to view all hidden files.

Funny rite?
quex
Somebody rigged my first-year philosophy prof's PC with the (in)famous desktop-with-icons screen shot prank (see #9). He spent three days on the phone with campus IT trying to fix it. They couldn't figure it out. Blamed a virus.

Eventually, they just manually backed up his hard drive and wiped the computer, got him a Mac (which was the school standard by then, anyway), and reloaded his files. The IT folks took his old computer and experimented with it for a while, until somebody caught on to the prank.

When the staff in the engineering department with outdated PCs heard about the situation, they all started mysteriously being pranked, too... and the dean switched the entire department to Macs for X-mas. :D
PatTheGreat42
My PC talked to me once.

I try not to drink so much coffee anymore.
ankitdatashn
as I am a software engineering student so it is normal strange things with computers, last strange thing that happened was seeing blank screen when playing games, other strange things include usb connector only working when pressing it firmly, also laptop showing error when screen is folded, also sometimes mouse cursor is not seen behind some application windows, and many irritating ones too like computer suddenly starting again and again by itself and showing no ram , disk on booting, blah blah blah, I am unable to recall all of them...
ProfessorY91
I'd have to say that the strangest thing that happened to me was while building a JavaScript Alert for a HTML based webpage. I created an infinite loop of alerts to pop-up once the browser loads a certain page. Its pretty simple to create. A quick trip to the task manager fixes the webpage.

A few months later I created a lock script/program that disables task manager (by constantly killing the process taskman.exe. The script works fine and the webpage worked fine, but what happens when half the files in your desktop are accidentally transferred to your startup folder?

Uh oh.

It took me awhile to figure out how to disable startup items for another account. But it was a quick fix from the Admin account.

Neways, this is my second post. Razz (Moving up in the world are we? lol!)

-Y
Pantherus
Weirdest thing that happened to me was a virus i had which randomly opened IE with hundreds of pop-ups for hardcore XXX animal porn was hilarious when friends were on my pc and randomly it all opened they looked so scared.
Wuppie
Pantherus wrote:
Weirdest thing that happened to me was a virus i had which randomly opened IE with hundreds of pop-ups for hardcore XXX animal porn was hilarious when friends were on my pc and randomly it all opened they looked so scared.

Hah, I had something like that too, IE kept on opening windows, but not with a site.
mikemuscles21
When I installed Windows Vista last year and plugged my camera into to upload my photo's, it made a load grinding noise and I though I saw smoke coming out of the top. IT has been fine though ever since.
zellfaze
I had a motherboard melt, we overclocked the machine and didnt have good cooling.
Derbmeister
Not my own PC, but in high-school, one of the crude PCs they had in a room was situated right next to a window. He turned on the particular computer that was next to the window. Later, we left the computer as we had to do something else, and a few minutes later, the computer started to make "frying" noises, and then began to smoke. Needless to say, all the students were told to leave the room by our principal, as the smoke started to fill up the room.

We found out later that the computer he turned on was next to a slightly open window, and since it was winter, where snow was actually drifting in and melted on the computer. >_>
Bengt
my windows loader file was gone Laughing
ssthanapati
In my last PC my 40GB HDD never gave me more than 30GB even though my motherboard supports much larger drives. Even have a 200 GB hdd fitted onto it.. Never really could find out the reason

Another problem i had was with my keyboard... It used to type garbage characters automatically without me even touching the keyboard... But it was found to be a problem with the keyboard.. so i got it replaced
antichrist_elexnet
I repair alot of computers (work on my own) and ive seen alot of wierd things

1: once i had this PII system with integrated 2mb video and 10gb HDD. ever tried to put a 250GB HDD on it and install windows XP? It works with it just great, (512 DDR DIMM) but the video turns into a 2048MB GDDR3 video card! strange that it doesnt run anything better than Need for Speed 3... still thinkin what that might be

2: its amusing when you find mice in the tower. more anysing when you see a monitor blow up becayse a rat bites off something in it.

3: also ive seen how people install a cooler specially made for 939/AM2 sockets on a 478 socket motherboard

4: someone brought me a DVD-ROM that doesnt want to read CD's... i tingled with it abit and it started to read CD's , but it refused to read DVD disks after that Rolling Eyes

5: also its a bit funny when you see a water cooling leak and a really expencive computer blow up

6: i had this situation of one computer wouldnt work and i had to replace the condensators around the socket, a VIA motherboard, and after that it started to work better than usuall

and lots of other stuff...
guitar22891
I wouldn't really call it weird, but more of funny. Many times people come to me because of the brand new computer they put together just blew up. Its usually because they have spent big bucks on the cpu, motherboard, and graphics card without buying a near enough powerful power supply for it. The power supply ends up failing and BLOWING UP! taking a graphics card or motherboard a long with it. People, never skimp up on the PSU!
Wolf1918
The strangest thing that ever happened to me with a PC actually happened with a Mac. An older iMac DV that runs OS 10.2 (I think). It's been a while since I've used my Mac. For some unknown reason it will randomly reboot itself. It can be running for an hour, a day, or sometimes for a week with no problems and then it will just suddenly reboot itself. On rarer occasions it will completely shut itself down. It's not a set up somewhere that schedules a restart or shut down. I've checked that already and besides, it happens at different times of the day or night.

I belong to some Mac forums and no one can figure it out. Eventually, I'll need to take it to an Apple service center and see if they can figure it out. But right now that's just not in the budget. Sad Or, maybe, I *could* use that as an excuse to get a new Mac Exclamation

If anyone here has an idea what it could be, feel free to message me and offer suggestions! It has me stumped.
Thanks,
Chad
ninjakannon
ssthanapati wrote:
Another problem i had was with my keyboard... It used to type garbage characters automatically without me even touching the keyboard... But it was found to be a problem with the keyboard.. so i got it replaced

That reminds me! My mouse scrolls by itself.

It's one of those ones with a scroll wheel and, usually after I've been scrolling down a document or something, it will scroll again, this is almost always in the direction I have been scrolling in. There's always quite a long pause before it does this, we're not talking seconds but minutes - more than 10 on occasions.

This does prove very useful if I'm, for example, reading something and my mouse starts to scroll the page for me every so often.

I'm assuming it's a hardware problem, probably the position of the scroll wheel is slightly off so it triggers the sensor somehow?
missdixy
raine dragon wrote:

Same exact thing happened to me. It was actually really creepy. I had to reformat my PC to get rid of it.
MeddlingMonk
Well, I can't report to have had anything like a singing virus, but there have been a few odd things happen with my PC.

I have a digital capture card in my PC and tuner software (set to the Australian free-to-air channels). Occasionally, however, the program decides that it doesn't like all the other channels and, for some unknown reason, replaces them all with the ABC! Once I reboot, however, the program has regained its senses and all the channels.

The other anomaly is one single MP3 track in my music folder. Every time I play it, it starts "jumping" and is apparently corrupted. However, I have done a complete hard disk scan and know that the hard disk isn't damaged in any way. Once I replace the file with a backup, it plays fine until I reboot the machine.... and then it jumps again.
Zombie
My ram was forcing my computer to restart randomly... that was weird
xavax
I managed to leave a couple of strong magnets on my laptop, and came back to find the hard disk wiped.. had to reinstall everything and lost all my files. Sad
KHO
had one system that was overclocked to hell, I was playing some games on it, and the screen starts showing garbled graphics, I look over to see smoke coming from the case. imediately pull the power supply.

The fan on the CPU had melted down to the heatsink causing it to cease functioning. after that it all just kinda went to shit.
WicCaesar
Nothing quite rare, just the usual blue screens.
Jarco
Had my mouse pointer moving all around the screen without me actually touching the mouse itself.
had to get a new one Wink
Ghost in the Mouse anyone? Shocked
bboos27
i was once typing a paper when all of a sudden a sentence was there that I didn't write.
Hunterofevil
hmmmm well it was a weird experience but not a very good one.
I as a 15 year old boy (some 8 years ago Smile ) was oh so happy to have bought
the newest Nvidia video card (back then it was hughe Smile).
Me going to my computer to install it and well the screen got blank.
Returning it to the store where i was refunded i got the same type of card in exchange.
The shop had to order it so it wasnt from the same lot.
And baf the same problem occured. Luckily the third try was a good one
As you can imagine having to wait 1 extra week to play that game what you bought the card for in the first place
was really a pain in the ass.
Never had problems with that card since though lucky me Smile
Lol not such an exciting story but besides that my computers never really let me down... Smile
creativfrequenci
once my system restarted with the blue screen error... after and i tried installing winows but it showed me have couldn't copy file from the source but i can install with no error in other system with no errors.... i checked my hard disk, mother board and dvd drive but it was working fine...

after a long time struggle i finally found that it was all because of a dead ram...
justtj
raine dragon wrote:

which virus sings songs??
justtj
it once happened to me that i was playing Counter Strike for around 3 hours and my score was 499 kills...
so went to get a beer to celebrate the upcoming Century...
as soon as i touched my keypad on notebook, it gave me a huge static shock and PC got restarted Sad
iyepes
It's funny, 9 years giving support to users and servers, and I hardly can remember the strangest thing.

What I remember the most was 3 years ago, working as platform admin at an outsourcing firm. My boss was in vacations, and the systems seemed to desire following him, they payroll application server hang by video card, a Voip software, used for customers, expired (we lasted one week until finding the reason), another customer application suffered a critical crash. The most strangest thing was that the company was a Telco, and people in the networking department were also suffering strange failures of cards and equipment.

We were haunted that month, hi, hi.
Rajiev
1. One of my friends had a PC with 56x CD rom (normal tray type). I put a CD there which worked fine on my machine, start installing the game, Bang the CD cracks and almost shoot an sharp part out. But since the tray was closed, it stuck. If that escaped, my friend would have hurt his face..

When we open the CD drive, THe CD was like diomand dust. Beautiful yet shocking Surprised. But he funny thing is the drive worked after a clean. Smile

2. 2-3 years ago, My mouse pointer started moving rapidly on the screen here and there. I was sure it was a virus prob. But when i changed the mouse, the problem was solved. :O

3. at the moment my CRT is givving me troubles. It does color seperation Smile Sometimes some colors are issing. But when i tap it, it gets normal.
I would probably have to by new one
j_f_k
An odd thing happened on our dell dimension (i think that was the model - it was definately a dell - this is not the machine I am posting on btw), anyway the dell has this option to rotate the graphic display 90 or make it upside down. and inadvertantly turned the display upside down.

why does dell include such a feature! what on earth for!!!

have you ever tried to use a mouse when the display is upside down - by geez its hard. If you want to wind someone up who as a dell he he he

take a screen dump of their desktop - and flip it upside down.
remove all of hte real icons on their desktop.
set the upsidedown screen dump as the background wallpaper.
move the start bar to the opposite end to where it is normally (ie if its at the bottom default, then move it to the top)
turn the screen display upside down

watch them go almost completely mad working out whats gone wrong.
JamesD122
I installed an internal video capture card and when i turned on my computer it started making crazy noises and it caught fire. Fortunately the rest of my computer is alright Razz
FunDa
j_f_k wrote:
An odd thing happened on our dell dimension (i think that was the model - it was definately a dell - this is not the machine I am posting on btw), anyway the dell has this option to rotate the graphic display 90 or make it upside down. and inadvertantly turned the display upside down.

have you ever tried to use a mouse when the display is upside down - by geez its hard. If you want to wind someone up who as a dell he he he

take a screen dump of their desktop - and flip it upside down.
remove all of hte real icons on their desktop.
set the upsidedown screen dump as the background wallpaper.
move the start bar to the opposite end to where it is normally (ie if its at the bottom default, then move it to the top)
turn the screen display upside down

watch them go almost completely mad working out whats gone wrong.

Its there in Windows Xp by default I think.

If you have a program called hkcmd.exe running, it enables keboard shortcuts to rotate the screen and stuff.

I'm on a Linux machine (Ubuntu) right now, so I can't check it out now. But Im sure it works because I've done it to fool my friends, also to read comics in long book size mode.(there are other ways to rotate comics, but this is the fastest)

The shortcut key is Ctrl-Alt-(arrow key)

If you use the left arrow, it rotates facing left.

Do it with the up arrow to bring it back to noraml.

It works only if the hkcmd.exe is running, which I think is default woth the Windows XP service pack 2

Hope this helps Cool
ninjakannon
j_f_k wrote:

I have actually seen this feature used properly a few times.

Once, I was paying at a restaurant and I noticed the screen they were using was on its side. I don't know exactly why they preferred it like this, maybe just to save space on the desk / till or for some formatting or layout reason on the monitor.
BugBear
Hum well this still happens once in a while but sometimes my dsl stops working (DSL light flashes red) and I need to turn on my regular phone and keep it on for it to connect and start working.

I've had my computer totally refuse to start after first screen that appears before windows loads and then after a few days start working again.

Haha, recently my laptop fell off backwards off a table thingy and like went to pieces....... I was able to put it together and it still works but some metal parts are bent a little.

Once I had the computer start without anything........ it just turned on randomly during the day when i was sitting near it. Noone was close enough to turn it on or anything it just booted up.
erlendhg
I'm not sure what the strangest pc experience I've had is, but I remember a funny mac experience, and since macs are coming closer and closer to pc, I thought I might share it Smile

I evenually found a free html editor for mac and tried to download it. It put itself on the desktop, and I double clicked it to install the program.

Next thing I know, the mac recogniced the installed program as a hard drive (it's true!) and placed itself on the desktop. "Opening" the hard drive opened the html editor and it worked fine except for that.

When I wanted to uninstall the program, I couldn't (of course, you can't uninstall a hard drive Razz).
I tried to select the hard drive and press delete - Error (since you neither can delete a hard drive....)
The solution was to unmount the program. That seemed to work.

Now I have to say, I have only been using macs a very few times, so I am not skilled at all when it comes to this. I am used to pcs, so this was just something I tried out at my friend's house. Yet I must say I found it being very weird.
jcvincent75
The weirdest thing that ever happened to my PC was when I found this registry cleaner software (dozens of them flying around). I read about it and it says that you can save around 300-500 MB of hard drive in one run of this software. So.. 'This software is cool! I should install this one.' I told my self. Of course I will not install this software if it wasn't for some good comments of some users who installed that application and it also came from a very reliable download site.

So I installed the software. Indeed it worked perfectly. It gave me another 800 MB of space after I ran it. I was so happy that time. 'Yehey!' I thought. Then came the next day. That 800 MB was back. I was puzzled. So I rerun the application again. But that 800 MB was still there. The next day, my hard drive was 800 MB smaller than yesterday. The next day, 1.6 GB Smaller then 1.6 GB * 2. Then as the days passed by my hard drive was becoming smaller and smaller each day. Then, I have to reformat. I don't have any space on my hard drive anymore that time. Damn! What have I done?

That's the stupidest thing I ever done to my PC. So lessons learned, never ever trust any software easily.

Cheers!
watersoul
my lap-top decided to move every file associated to my admin profile into new folders that i can only find now by going into my computer >> documents and settings >> blah blah blah etc!
...still working on it!
Slinky
I was replacing a hard drive and my computer shocked me and it turned on. Has that ever happened to anyone >_> cause that scared the hell outta me.
Rosemary_Niehaus
my dad was doing something with 'mine' computer (I never toughed that thing in my life, so it was more his computer.) he did something wrong and the hard disk blew up or something. Arrow he said to my mother I did it, but like I say I never toughed it.
weselldonkeys
Well recently, I've been trying to delete uneccessary programs off my computer... and I don't know what happened. First, my internet browser kept on closing by itself, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, then my sound card just disappeared. Now I don't have any sound card. Sad
friuser
the strangest thing that ever happened was when I opened up a desktop (this was like 8 years ago) to change or add memory. I don't know if it was static that destroyed the motherboard or whatever I did cause it would never start up. No post beeps or anything.

That's when I bought a 40 dollar computer tool kit which a static discharge wrist wrap cause I never wanted that to happen. However it never did happen again even when I did not use the item and I worked on hundreds of computers since.

I seem to have the greatest problem with hard drive failures and software problems (usually operating system errors). Nothing really strange since.
04palmerh
one time both of my hard disks failed, and when tried to boot it couldnt post, and when i looked inside i started to pull out the metal bits at the back to get some more cooling for it and dropped a piece on my graphics card it made a horrible squealing sound, now i have a laptop and i think they are much better.
erlendhg
jcvincent75 wrote:
The weirdest thing that ever happened to my PC was when I found this registry cleaner software (dozens of them flying around). I read about it and it says that you can save around 300-500 MB of hard drive in one run of this software. So.. 'This software is cool! I should install this one.' I told my self. Of course I will not install this software if it wasn't for some good comments of some users who installed that application and it also came from a very reliable download site.

So I installed the software. Indeed it worked perfectly. It gave me another 800 MB of space after I ran it. I was so happy that time. 'Yehey!' I thought. Then came the next day. That 800 MB was back. I was puzzled. So I rerun the application again. But that 800 MB was still there. The next day, my hard drive was 800 MB smaller than yesterday. The next day, 1.6 GB Smaller then 1.6 GB * 2. Then as the days passed by my hard drive was becoming smaller and smaller each day. Then, I have to reformat. I don't have any space on my hard drive anymore that time. Damn! What have I done?

That's the stupidest thing I ever done to my PC. So lessons learned, never ever trust any software easily.

Cheers!

That was indeed weird. I have been using similar software (CCleaner) all the time, but never heard of anything like that. I almost feel sorry for you Wink
runescapeglobal
Ok here we go,

About teo years ago I was checking my email when I got a pop-up saying I won some contest, I new it was a crappy ad-ware thing, so I closed. About five minutes later the same pop-up came up, but I tried to close and it wouldn't close! I finally tried to shut down my computer and the pop-up changed and said "NO!" it was weird. So I tried to force-quit the pop-up, and it still said "NO!". I got frustrated and pulled the plug; restarted my computer; and went back to by email. About two days later same thing happened. I realized there was a virus on my computer doing it... Thats it :d
codyb113
My Laptop randomly turns itself on and off...Like i'll shut it down at night ...Wake up a few hours later and its on. later it'll shut itself down...It's pretty weird though.
furtasacra
Nameless wrote:
The internet and all who dwell on it are the strangest things to ever happen upon my PC.

Amen to that!

I have dozens of hilarious stories about weird stuff that happened to OTHER people when I was working for AOL, but this is not the right thread for them. But I will tell you this: the old story about the idiot who thought her CD-ROM drive was a cupholder is for real.
andy26
There was once when i was making a program in college it had to be able accept a date into a input box but show it like this 03/08/08 if you was to type in 030808 but the weird thing is with out typing in anything on my 2nd test run it showed up todays date and there was no $date command in it and when i ended the program and then started the program up again it showed up the way it was meant to blank??? i did have a story about hardware but iv forgotten it if i rememebr i will edit this.
justtj
takashiro wrote:
Luckily nothing strange have never happened in my personal computer. Pay attention to looking after your PC more. Very Happy

nothing ever happened?
that itself is strangest thing Very Happy

using linux?
grimfandango4666
okay. i will try to make it sound simple. oh and it still happens. the thing is, i think my computer is time sensitive. it works fine from 7 am to 8pm then suddenly i start getting blue screens of death. its kinda old. i bought it like 8 years back. i got some ram and stuff. anyways, my computer reboots by itself every 2 hours and 5-10 minutes sometimes. i have hard time explaining all this to them computer folks and sometimes they don't even know what i am talking about. so there.
mariomaster
OK this is incredibly weird!!! My mouse just didn't work out of the blue, and suddenly it just started moving on the screen without me doing anything! It went to Shut Down, and shut down the pc. Then, it restarted and formatted itself! :tears: After the format, I was able to take charge of the computer again, but the strange thing is, sometimes a black screen appears and the music starts blaring like a buzzer, but with every second it gets louder, but then stops after I'm forced to do a cold reboot! I can't believe it! I checked the logs of the network it wasn't any prank. Probably some stupid hacker gaining control of my mouse and PC. Crying or Very sad
mariomaster
Bro I know. My computer is time sensitive as well! But there's a memory virus on mine, so that might clear things up... But I understand your problem. What I do when that happens is I throw the memory chip against the wall (softly)... Laughing
AlcatrazAgony
For me, I had viruses, and someone was taking control of my computer. The person then took me to my internet, and he/she took me to this website. No joke, its as if I was FORCED to join. This happened a couple years ago though.
vampire8u
I had a laptop that somehow got a bad case of spyware so I used the recovery disk and figured everything was fixed. Strangely enough the ads and popups immediately returned, no virus scanner or adware remover could stop it. As quickly as the adware was removed it was reinstalled. This seemed rather unusual on a fresh install so I decided to try again but with a different windows install disk that wasn't from the manufacturer. Thats when I noticed there was a new partition on the drive. Apparently the spyware had created its own partition on the drive and lived there making itself pretty much immune to removal unless you figured out a new partition had been created. Pretty crafty and the worse case of digital HIV I have ever seen. This was a friends laptop and I still wonder what he was doing that allowed that monster in. Question
kanarya
lol when i was installing vista a hacker came on my screen and started chatting with me >.< thats a weaird experience,, and afterwards he left with no harm to my pc lol Razz
Ghost Rider103
On one of my old computers, my keyboard would automatically type "?" on it's own. It actually did it quite often, and was pretty annoying.

I remember typing messages through MSN, and then out of nowhere in one of my sentences you would see a "?" and I still have no idea what caused it.

I stayed with the same keyboard only a few weeks after it started happening, then I got a new PC and keyboard, so I never found out if it was the PC or the keyboard. It was interesting for sure though.
Sienile
I had this old IBM PS/2 back in the mid-90s. For it's time it was a great computer, but after about 7 years, the CD drive died. I was too broke to get a new one and my parents wouldn't pay for one either, so I had to make do with what I had.
I opened up the case and took off the top of the CD drive. After tinkering with it for a while I figured out that the motor that was spinning the disk was starting to die and didn't have enough power to start the CD spinning. I just left the drive out of the case with the top off. Every time I put a CD in I had to "kick-start" it with my fingers. Other than that it worked perfectly.
KronikSindrome
this one time I spilt kool-aid on my computer,
and seven Fornits came running out and licked it up...
I tried to catch one and they just flipped me off and ran
back inside. I'm pretty sure they're happy in there....

weirdest chit ever
crabfish
I had a service call once and the PC wouldn't boot. No OS, just a blinking cursor.

I opened up the PC and found over a dollar in coins scattered across the system board. Apparently causing numerous 'shorts' and zapping the system. The owner of the PC told me that his young daughter like to play around the PC and she had tried to insert coins into the PC like a bubble gum machine.

Poor girl never got any bubble gum! Smile
I am very bad with computers but my brother build me an computer with old parts from old trash computers from his school. It worked fine until one day when it started shaking and smell funny. three minutes later the processor fan shaked off and the side fell off scruws fell off until the power agg blowed up. strange and sick,, but my brother fixed it right up agin Very Happy
Flarkis
i have quite a few interesting stories. Three to be exact.

first - My dads friend got this 10 dollar computer from a garage sale and it wouldnt start so he gave it to my dad. My dad tried some things then turned it on... it started smoking lol so he turned it off and told his friend to go buy something that works XD

second - I managed to corrupt windows Very Happy Yea I was trying to guess the password on my friends computer and after a certain amount of tries it would freeze up and youd have to restart. After restarting a couple of times it asked if i wanted to go into safe mode. I asked my friend and he said sure. After that the startup just kept looping lol.

last but not least - I also managed to completely destroy my own computer about a month or two ago. I swear i got a virus from some site. Basically i got a popup asking me to download something. I say no. It appears again. This continues till i shut down my computer. Try to turn it back on and the startup loops forever. My friend later finds that i completely destroyed my BIOS and all the partition tables on it. The whole drive was mauled. Luckily i had a backup of my drive i had made a year back and just threw that on and everything was better. Still confusses me as to how i managed to destroy my computer so completely Razz
tianhua1993
The funniest thing that happened to my computer? There was one.

There was a time when I wanted to uninstall a program. I went to the Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel and was surprised and shocked to find out that the program wasn’t reflected there. So, I went to find the exe file in the Program Folders. There, I found the uninstalled file, named uninstall.exe. So, I clicked it, in the hope that it will uninstall the program, as it always work with the previous times.

The amazing thing was, the uninstall file disappeared after the uninstall process was finished, but all the other programs are still there. After some time, I realized that the uninstall link uninstalled the uninstall file.
the-guide
Once I operated my system on a stormy day while there was violent thunder and lightning and then a lightning discharged my system through the electrical line and oh... that not happen to only my computer but... Shocked Crying or Very sad
Cddhesh
I use Windows XP Professional, till now there was no problem with Operating System as such, All funny problems that i faced is due to virus attacks.Once i remember i was not able to open any disk partition.
All i could do is like linux Smile through command prompt.Drives were not getting open from neither from top explorer menu nor by using Explore option.Then removed that virus using Avira Professional.
One more dangerous thing because of viruses that occurred is emptying of files.Some script deleted all my files of Code that we were using for our final year project.But we got punishment after that , we used Linux for our project.That was actually like good thing happening from bad.
scbrazil
On it - sex with my girlfriend
In it - edited e-mails coming back to me.
ainieas
Used to happen with my desktop. It used to restart by itself but it would not boot up. I'd need to let it off for some time like 15-20mins, then only I'd be able to get it to work again. Other times it just wouldn't boot. And this one time the CD-ROM drives in Windows disappeared and I had to reinstall Windows!
And this one time it got infected by a virus and any folder that i open would keep opening a copy of itself. Another time a virus corrupted my Windows so bad that it would boot but would do nothing else aside from allowing the mouse pointer to move.
vegi666
neji wrote:

Why? well..

no way really... my comp came close to blowing up to
vegi666
Flarkis wrote:
i have quite a few interesting stories. Three to be exact.

first - My dads friend got this 10 dollar computer from a garage sale and it wouldnt start so he gave it to my dad. My dad tried some things then turned it on... it started smoking lol so he turned it off and told his friend to go buy something that works XD

second - I managed to corrupt windows Very Happy Yea I was trying to guess the password on my friends computer and after a certain amount of tries it would freeze up and youd have to restart. After restarting a couple of times it asked if i wanted to go into safe mode. I asked my friend and he said sure. After that the startup just kept looping lol.

last but not least - I also managed to completely destroy my own computer about a month or two ago. I swear i got a virus from some site. Basically i got a popup asking me to download something. I say no. It appears again. This continues till i shut down my computer. Try to turn it back on and the startup loops forever. My friend later finds that i completely destroyed my BIOS and all the partition tables on it. The whole drive was mauled. Luckily i had a backup of my drive i had made a year back and just threw that on and everything was better. Still confusses me as to how i managed to destroy my computer so completely Razz

wow...
vegi666
codyb113 wrote:
My Laptop randomly turns itself on and off...Like i'll shut it down at night ...Wake up a few hours later and its on. later it'll shut itself down...It's pretty weird though.

yea my old comp would do something like that except it wouldnt shut down when i tried.. i had to log off and then shut it down from the log in screen.. hate it when that happens
vegi666
justtj wrote:
takashiro wrote:

nothing ever happened?
that itself is strangest thing Very Happy

using linux?

i find that hard to believe
MarzEz
there was this one time on my windows xp computer that the strangest thing ever happened. i don't know how it happened, all i know is that for some reason windows actually WORKED! i don't know how this is physically possible, but it is. anyway, the processor died a few days later. (no surprise, it was a dell.)
ChrisAntreasian
I dont have a pc I have a mac because i hate weird things hapining to my computer but once my computer was working fine and suddenly it made the sound of a car crash and turned off and wouldent turn on anymore. It needed to go to the shop but the sound it made was so blood curtiling it made my heart stop.
Diablosblizz
ChrisAntreasian wrote:
I dont have a pc I have a mac because i hate weird things hapining to my computer but once my computer was working fine and suddenly it made the sound of a car crash and turned off and wouldent turn on anymore. It needed to go to the shop but the sound it made was so blood curtiling it made my heart stop.

Neutral That sounds interesting. Nothing I've heard a computer doing. Did the tech tell you what was wrong with it?
MarzEz
it sounds like you had a head crash. those can be very... very... very... very nasty.
Zuex
I put my RAM in the wrong way round, started the PC and it blew up some parts of the motherboard, hours later i put the RAM in the right way and it works perfect LOLZ?
daouju
Once my disk drives started opening and closing, and porn popups filled the screen

seconds later it crashed, never to be used again : (
[/b]
Dean_The_Great
I've had my power supply explode. That was interesting, surely.

I also had Norton Antivirus kamakaze a virus. Which was all well and good, the virus was destroyed. But it corrupt Norton Antivirus and so it could not be un-installed or re-installed, and my computer was unprotected and overrun by viruses in a month. Format to fix. =)
kody
I'm experiencing a myriad of computer problems right now as I type...

I've got one laptop that can get an IP address from our network, it can browse computers on our network, yet it cannot access the internet. Independant of what ethernet port it's connected to. To add to the strangeness, it _can_ connect to the internet through its wireless connection. Driver reinstalls, IP stack rebuilds, and endless configuration change attempts have done nothing to fix the problem. An hour and a half of phone tech support also did nothing to alleviate the problem or provide any insight into why it's happening. Their solution? Reinstall Winbloze.

so, now I'm reinstalling Windoze, and it's giving me a blue screen of death during the installation because of a "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". Great. Juuuuust great.

Other problems I'm having? Mainly Autodesk software related. For example, I can't uninstall, repair, or reinstall AutoCAD 2009 for some reason.
kody
oh, and a weird one that I've been too lazy to hunt for the answer to...

Sometimes, unexpectedly and unforewarned, a program will all of a sudden thing that I have some sort of European keyboard. French, German, Hungarian, Russian, whatever! Keys are just all of a sudden remapped! totally annoying if you're in the middle of an IM conversation.

A software restart sometimes fixes it, but a complete reboot always does.
ankitdatashn
I had an habit to use desktop for last many years, but recently my brother had two laptops and gifted one to me, now some days back while the laptop was on I pushed out the remote of the laptop(used to play songs, movies etc), the remote didn't worked and i thought the battery must be weak, so i slid back the remote, the remote was in a tilted position so it touched any internal part(gosh!!, i dunno why the manufactureres dont look at these minute details) and it just went kaput!! i again started and then again delibrately touched the internal part through the remote and it again turned of automatically, so that was very weird indeed for me. Also some time ago small red ants were coming out of the laptop, presumably the place where my brother lived was having plethora of ant communtity!!

Anyway hope it now works fine, the desktop is now lying unused!!
akshar
my computer use to hang after 15 minutes of working for unknown reason. We went to all the experts and got every component even the motherboard was checked at higher circuit level. All the software and hardware tricks were tried.

Its still in that condition.
meeda
It BSODed when I was opening Firefox. But I already knew something was wrong with my laptop, and it turned out that my hd was failing.
thadnation
I love my mac mini, but there are some things i have yet to understand. up until a few days ago, my computer would at random make a clicking noise and switch from normal to as if i had hit F9. i don't know why it stopped, and it will probably happen again Confused
misterXY
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
461 viruses from one downloaded program. Lmfao.

MtgRuler wrote:

That means you had SmallCaps on Razz

lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!
Zombie
i got a virus and it messed up my start menu, it was annoying
Nehallyn
Strangest thing that ever happened to my computer was it locked up. Being Linux, I had never seen that happen. Surprised me to no end. My world was shattererd and I lost faith in everything.

What is next? Viruses?
kristofer
had to return my old laptop to service 3 times in 2 months... after it brole the fourth time, i threw it away and got me a new one.. f¤¤king waste of time and money Wink
WhistleTurning
Years ago when computing on PC's was in its infancy and there was no such thing as a firewall, and even antivirus software was starting to be developed (Dr Watson for those old enough), I picked up a virus which turned the key board into a musical keyboard. The odd thing which had us going was that it only occurred on the last Friday in the month. So you spent that day tracing the cause and thought every Sat on that you had at last found the affending little Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation of a program and deleted it. In those days you were not even yet connected to the web as it was still in it's infancy, and viruses were spread using 5" floppies.
Crinoid
Odd loss of some data, not files, stored in what is basically txt format.
Ether my mind plays tricks, either pc.
Tracking in which of multiple backups these data are, is not worth the time lost, it's easier find them again through Google. But the fact, that it is happening to me (all is simplified, no robust useless monsters, well protected, hardware is systematically serviced and changed, when it seems to be reasonable, software is regularly checked) is quite irritating.
bigt
My story is almost like the exploding computer.

I had just finished configuring this new computer at my desk one morning. I started on it the afternoon before, shut it down, and finished up the last bit of work that morning. Took to box down the hall to the user's office and had almost everything plugged in. A nice, blue fireball came out of the power supply as I was plugging it up. I had enough reaction to unplug it while moving my hand out of the way even though it still felt early in the morning. And it "let the smoke out" of course and the room had that wonderful odor. Some of my co-workers didn't believe me or just wanted to see it for themselves Smile so they removed the PS, hooked it up to a power strip, and got the show I did. And of course we got a free replacement PS in a day or two. I was kinda sad to see the little firebox go, hehe.
amperx
mines about my monitor, on my old pc, i dont get it, sometimes it just turns on, but the power led keeps on blinking, it doesnt display anything, but i can hear the windows sound theme starting up, i think, its a matter related to the power supply not having enough wattage or something,? dunno, usually i'd just leave that pc on, and after 30 mins or so, it displays finally XD
Fingopher
my last pc started flaking out, when it finally went down I investigated and the connection to the m-board had welded itself to the m-board (I thought they were low voltage?) tried to un-weld it, had to get a new board chip ram etc recently, glad I did it was looking pretty slow anyway.... Laughing
makhtar
1. My current Laptop accept to hibernate only when it wants; otherwise it hangs....

2. A virus forcing my machine to reboot all the time...
goutha
Any thing that happens to your PC can be explained.

The stangest thing that happened to me last week was a reset of my bookmarks every time that I restart my computer.

I find out that it was a trojan...
Klaw 2
A friend of mine had a cracked cd and puts it in anyway tries to play it and hears a "crack".
Opens cd tray 1/2 cd in it. The cd flew appart and killed the the cd reader in the process.

I started my pc when I returned from holiday after a while i smell something turns out something laid it eggs (spider?) in the monitor and that got grilled.
swizzy
I had this wierd problem, where my pc would suddenly show various colors, the drive wouldnt eject, then suddenly eject... it turned out to be a shorted bios battery....
benje
i was installing ram...and it worked.
bmcdowell18
One time my computer monitor wouldn't get out of hibernate mode, I just had to replace battery
shikukustars
once i couldnt turn my comp on so i unplugged and plugged it in again, didnt work. then went to check power supply, everything ok so then i left and went to an internet cafe (30 mins away) and got back to see my bro on it. he said that power switch at the back of the comp was off...crap!
Seiji
I had a virus that took me forever to get rid of. I ended up ditching that PC a couple months later. Also had a file I couldn't delete because of Korean characters. Had to delete my whole user thing and make a new one......odd.
qname
nearly every month before I started to a firewall
guitar22891
I was on my computer a couple nights ago. Chatting with some friends and email what have you. And all of a sudden, It froze. I was like, Oh great. So i shut down the computer using the button. And then i flipped it on. Nothing happend, it sounded like it turned on but the power light that stays on all the time. Wasn't on. I tryed to shut down a couple more times with no succese. I thought to my self, Oh my gosh! the mother of all virus's. I got one! I tryed one last time, but i unpluged the power cord and then plugged it back in. It worked! Thank you! If you ever have this problem, Just calmly shut down the computer, Unplug the power cord, plug it back in, and pray it works. If not......Then you can panic.

I have found that sometimes a computer will freeze for a number of reasons. If you have too many windows going sometimes the computer gets overwhelmed with all the stuff going on. Once in a while my computer temporarily freezes. So usually I just give it a couple of minutes before I try the reboot thing. Sometimes it does freeze because its overheated. Usually that happens when I have had the computer on for a very long time. Also loose cables will also cause a computer to freeze. After all when we walk around and when noises happen they cause vibrations that can slowly loosen the cables and eventually cause problems. I does not hurt once in a while to check your cables for loosness.
suren0203
1561 viruses found when virus was scanned.
creativfrequenci
no virus in my system.. but suddenly it showed some file is missing... i dono how can this happen?
FunDa
I had a few files which do not get deleted in Windows, whether I try by right clicking and delete or by using command line. They were just some web pages that I had saved onto the desktop. They were not opewning and showed size 0kb. I even did scandisk to fix any filesystem errors - no effect.

After I gave up, I booted in Linux, and browsed to my Windows Desktop folder and it got deleted easily. The files opened properly too. Confused
Idoru
Strange things, indeed. I have a few to spare...

When moving I plugged in the PC and started it. All worked out fine, but there was no sound. Not to strange, though, since the speakers wasn't plugged in. I did that, but didn't turn off the computer. Poff! and it never worked again... well, almost never, since I didn't give up on it.
Propably static, so I looked on the wiring. The connector to the tower was not compatible with the motherboard, so whoever built it had simply broken the hdd-led, p-led, power and reset in pieces and put
them together so it worked with the motherboard. I changed it around, but didn't get it right. Tried all
combinations and finally gave up. A couple of years later we went short on a PC, and I thought we might
have spare parts to put one together. Said and done, here we go...
managed to build a fully functional computer and it was first afterwards that I discovered that I've used the
same motherboard, CPU, RAM and BIOS as on the one that gave up!? Shocked

Quite strange, and still today I don't know for certain why it gave up by getting the speakers plugged in,
or, even less, why it suddenly started to work again.
jmaninc68
i was getting mad at this computer game i was playing i cant remember the name of it but, all of a sudden this fat cartoon chick came on the screen and i was like "what in the heck do you want fatty!". then my computer just turned black, shut down. no cord was pulled or button was pressed, it was nuts
jmaninc68
i forgot...2girls1cup..by FAR the strangest thing ive ever seen
cueball
Twisted Evil Was surfing on some Warez sites one evening and downloaded a few usefull files. Well after scanning them all with AV software I assumed all were safe. Opened a file to run one of the programs and all was well. After an hour or so I tried to shut down my computer and the windows start button jumped up and began to run around the desktop. Couldn't catch it no matter what. Had to reboot in safemode and run virus scan then do a restore and finally back to normal.
jmlworld
cueball wrote:
Twisted Evil Was surfing on some Warez sites one evening and downloaded a few usefull files. Well after scanning them all with AV software I assumed all were safe. Opened a file to run one of the programs and all was well. After an hour or so I tried to shut down my computer and the windows start button jumped up and began to run around the desktop. Couldn't catch it no matter what. Had to reboot in safemode and run virus scan then do a restore and finally back to normal.

Loll. This may be file incompatibility or something like that. You know, computers were made by humans and programs were written by humans, so it's possible to get the trouble of conflict between two files.
Stubru Freak
jmlworld wrote:
cueball wrote:

Loll. This may be file incompatibility or something like that. You know, computers were made by humans and programs were written by humans, so it's possible to get the trouble of conflict between two files.

You do realize that the chances of a simple bug causing this behaviour are maybe 1 in a million?
athensgames
raine dragon wrote:

I GOT THE SAME THING!

malware bites anti malware got rid of it tho =D
jmlworld
Stubru Freak wrote:

You do realize that the chances of a simple bug causing this behaviour are maybe 1 in a million?

Of course dancing Windows' Start Menu might happen once in a lifetime Laughing
FunDa
cueball wrote:

the windows start button jumped up and began to run around the desktop. Couldn't catch it no matter what.

Ha ha ... That's a good one. I would like an April Fool software to do that. Would be quite hilarious. Laughing
hlavco
For some reason, sometimes my computer decides not to shut down. Well, it starts shutting down, but in the middle of the process, it goes into sleep mode instead. Then I have to wake it up, at which point it continues shutting down and turns off. No idea why.
navjotjsingh
Strangest thing ever happened to me was jarring noise from CPU....and I couldn't reason out whether the CPU fan was making it or SMPS fan. Eventually both had to be changed since CPU's temperature reached 90C at that time! Shocked
Isabell2003
The strangest is my PC keeps rebooting every couple of minutes. Picked up a worm perhaps? Any ideas?
karysky
It's nothing strange, but my rabbit ate my printer electrical cord yesterday.

Gotta buy a new one, darn!
haveit
My pc carries a wand and it has a ligtning shaped scar on it... crazy shizzle :S
RosenCruz
Once a PC Game CD burst in my CD Rom drive...The game was FIFA 99 and it took my days to clear the CD ROM drive from little glasses...Never realized why that happened?? Crying or Very sad
Sienile
Sounds like your CD was either warped or cracked and got to spinning too fast.

Me and a buddy of mine used to cut a notch in CDs that didn't burn right and then mount them on to a high speed electric drill... That dorm room was never the same after that. Razz
phxvideo
I hate windows...://
Westerhof
I once found Vista on my laptop.
Got rid of it very quickly....
OpposableThumbs
The strangest thing for me is finding my work computer has occasionally just turned itself on. (Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not a co-worker or my boss.) It used to be disturbing, but now I figure my computer is just saving me boot-up time.
FunDa
OpposableThumbs wrote:
The strangest thing for me is finding my work computer has occasionally just turned itself on. (Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not a co-worker or my boss.) It used to be disturbing, but now I figure my computer is just saving me boot-up time.

That must be added as a special feature for Windows. Startup even before we decide we want to. Really saves on the bootup times
patmay
Some years ago I had this great Mac - G4 titanium - that was my best friend wherever I went. Often even joining me in bed to do some work there. But the case got so hot that I literally burnt my CCC - not a very pleasant experience and the end of that habit ;-=
j_f_k
was this viral e-mail that was doing the rounds - it was an executable (some years ago in those days nobody blocked sending .exe's as attachments).

the title of it was something innocous like 'ladies from thailand' and when you ran it - it would prgrammatically turn of mute on your PC and turn the volume to max and then play a sound of someone saying 'hey everybody, I'm watching porno over here!' then flash a dialog box saying gotcha.
Spiritus
Buying a video card and having it run fine for months on end, then having it burn out and realize it was running on a power supply 50 watts less then it should have been on all along. At least I got some use out of that 300+ dollars... Sad
NewAgeDesigns
Shocked how bout this... Both my cd and burner drives jus disapeared one day! My computer listed my docs and hardrives..that's it. I took it to the "Geek Squad" and they didn't tell me wat it was ..jus fixed it lol
beneware
my little brother got a virus that would change his background periatically to gay men having sex
LotusNegra
My friend's Windows just screwed up so I plugged his HD in my PC so he could make backups. His HD probably had a virus, and when I restarted my pc, scandisk started to "fix" all my file's index. Result? All my file's index got mixed. I could see them all but when I tried to acess them, I received an error, cause I was acessing a random spot of the HD...
kevbailey
I got a 40GB trojan. It was a trojan that comes on to your computer, then integrates itself into just about every part of the computer (to stop it from being deleted), then pulls down all sorts of information from the internet. I caught it when I was optimizing my hard drive and was wondering why my hard drive had so little space left on it. It took about six tries to get it off, then once it was isolated, using about 7 programs, I was able to get it off.
romnempire
back when I didn't know anything about computer, (waaay back, like Windows 98 times) I was doing something. probably registry edits (not the best thing for a stupid computer guy to be doing) and I think I deleted my sound card. or something. like its driver. My sound went down and it took me TWO years before I actually found a working reinstall.

yay computer noobs.
wicke
My XP was quite odd yesterday. I was searching for uxtheme patch and when go a site, my computer just started to beep. Just reboot, Ubuntu from Grub and same download and installation that way and no beeping. Still wondering, why it beeped.
XsmashX
well... once I placed the laptop on my deb bed and it got so hot, that the cushion begann to smoke XD Very Happy it got kinda black nd I bought a new, black one Laughing
Zackster
This is one of many strange things that has happened to me while using a pc. One sunday night i was on my pc looking for a program on my pcformat collection so i put in the CD and the drive started spinning faster and faster and suddenly i heard the CD explode in the drive i almost messed in my pants. I opened the drive and took out the fragments... Sorry i ment the tiny fragments... I was seriously upset and had to get the drive replaced... That drive was really weird it gave speeds that it wasn't rated for...
jenss
I had a CD explode in the drive once as soon as it spun up. That was interesting.

I've also seen my fair share of kookie and annoying things. When you work on the GeekSquad you see everything. When will people learn that downloading porn almost always results in viruses and other nasty intruders!? When will they learn to use anti-virus software?! Nothing like shelling out a few hundred dollars to try to save some pictures or music files.

Jen
sulavaryal
not really me but some one i know poured a glass of tea on key board of the laptop.keyboard was all sticky and mb got screwed up as well Laughing
sheedatali
I had my hard drive failed couple of times with no backup, however the most weird thing ever happened was when I emtied my trash, only to find out that it was wiping my entire hard drive. I do not know how everything ended up in trash, it must be a bug in Gnome, because I can not remember selecting the entire contents of my hard drive and sending to waste basket. I have never been able to figure out.
joostvane
My screen started doing weird things. Windows moving out of the screen, and all of a sudden comming back.

Windows of the computer itself, like browser, dissepearing and found back after.

And everytime I put a CD in windows want to install something. Its like 'loading setup...' 'installing...'. Then it dissapears and the DVD comes up. And no, its not a program its trying to install, it happens to all CDs, including simple movies... :s
RosenCruz
jenss wrote:
I had a CD explode in the drive once as soon as it spun up. That was interesting.

I've also seen my fair share of kookie and annoying things. When you work on the GeekSquad you see everything. When will people learn that downloading porn almost always results in viruses and other nasty intruders!? When will they learn to use anti-virus software?! Nothing like shelling out a few hundred dollars to try to save some pictures or music files.

Jen

i had a similar issue told here too...how can a cd explode in ROM drive???lol.. Laughing
Chris65536
I've had similar problems.

Once, I lent my favourite PC game to a friend. He phoned me up one night at about 6pm to tell me that his CD drive had shredded it. By all accounts, it took out the disk, the drive and sent bits of plastic all over the inside of the computer.

I just assumed he'd trod on it or something stupid (when I got back a bag of bits). At least, until me and him were playing "Worms" on my PC. There was a noise that went "CRACK, click-click-thunk, click-click-thunk", and I turned the PC off. Couldn't open the CD draw at all, poked that emergency open button with a paperclip and got it open a crack (enough for small bits of CD to fall out).

Had to dismantle it to get the rest out!

Basically: my friend is bad news near computers.

And once I terminated this annoying running process in Task Manager. "explorer.exe" or something. That messed things up a little Embarassed
cocoaroma
once 2 resistor inside the monitor got whacked and blew up causing a nice flash of light that nearly broke into a fire lol!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
D'Artagnan
if my memory don't betrayme 5 or 6 years ago, The worms armageddon CD exploded inside my CD Rom Drive after 4 hours playing...

the cd wasn't mine, i still remember the face of my friend when i returned the little yellow cd pieces
projektdeth
A normal link that that usually works fine (have no idea why it happened) I clicked the home page of the web site (once) and a million screens just popped up!
mtsbuild
i';ve recently replaced my dell inspiron for an asus which is a great laptop; but the dell was fantastic especially at the end when my other half spilled red wine all over it while it was on... and not only did i not notice but the screen went a kind of colour that was reminiscent of the old bbc, old amstad and commadore 64 type loading screens... was really interesting till i figured out what had happened.
dan751
haha wow. those are some pretty interesting stories. XD
here's mine, likely just as strange as some. =P

I recently installed System Mechanic and whenever I would put it into hibernation or to sleep, a few minutes later it would randomly power back on. never made any sense as to why that happened. wasn't any good because as a student, carrying my laptop around in my backpack, could cause damage. Turns out it was an incompatibility glitch between System Mechanic and Eset Smart Security. Was resolved about a week later, but still, one would think their computer has a problem with them if you shut it off and it turns back on a few minutes later.
MunMun2o2o
Mine also look pretty strange i guess..

When i was playing Super Dance Online(In Malaysia and China available's game) , suddenly the screen turned black.
So I was so angry and i nearly scold the CPU ..
Then I have to restart again and check the files. Crying or Very sad
Indyan
I ran windows disccleaner and it ended up deleting almost everything on my C drive (including system files)!!
Battle_Off
well I used to fiddle with stuff, so one day I opened up the hard drive to see the disc...

I didn't put it back together properly, next time i booted the pc, the read/write head shattered, set me back a weeks pay!
justtj
RiCtee wrote:
Mine? A Word document appeared mysteriously on my desktop, after I had deleted it days before. Opening it would result in an error, meaning it doesn't even exist on my hard drive. The real problem is that it keeps on appearing at different intervals - sometimes when I log in, and sometimes for days at a time.

VERY annoying having to delete it. Oh and I should note it was hidden, but I had the "show hidden files" setting turned on.

i think it was not your word document, it was rather a temporary file which word created by named "~" followed by name of your original document... and its hidden by default..
its size is hardly 1 kb Very Happy

Razz

the files are deleted when ur word is closed, but if word crashes, the file have to be removed manually..

Very Happy

guess ur word must have crashes sometime back... Very Happy
rapperx
well im printing a document from net beacause of which my pc gives me a fatal error.This type of fatal error is seen many times in my PC so I restart it but after restarting my PC it got to give me motherboard beep sound then my fan shut down but my PC won't its damn strange for me and it result that my mother board gets damaged.
clanllst
mouse just started moving to now were .. around the screen
Zombie
Strangest thing that ever happened on my pc? Well I purchased new ram for my pc a few weeks ago, and after checking to be sure the speeds matched up, I installed the ram. For the first few hours the ram was working perfectly. But, soon the computer rebooted itself. It rebooted itself right in the middle of an essay I was writing. So, I began writing again, only to face another spontaneous reboot. The restarts continued to occur closer and closer together. Until, finally I couldn't turn my computer on. So, my only choice was to install the old ram. After reinstalling the old ram sticks, the computer has run perfectly. Weird....
afreedi
it was a strange thing ever i see ! once i start xp ...then at desk top xp saying to me ! you are not a Authorize person who use this PC ... Shocked
ninjakannon
I don't usually make short witty comments such as this; however, I've just thought of something that I think is appropriate. Inspired by the previous poster.

The strangest thing that ever happened on my computer was the internet.
Sienile
Strangest thing ever happened on my PC... The perfect girl asked me out. Ah... The wonders of MySpace. Anyway, we've been dating for a few months now and I feel closer and more compatible to her than any of my previous girlfriends... including my ex-wife. The Internet is awesome!
juianlopez
I am a bit worried when the monitor of my pc always turns off while starting up. Is it on the CPU or the monitor itself? Crying or Very sad
juianlopez
I find it weird a while ago when I was about to search for a synonym of a certain word using the keys Shift+F7, and every time I pressed the said buttons, MSWord will start to install "something"..i do not know..and it will take about a minute for that "installation stuff" and then a message will appear that there are no synonyms available. When in fact I tried looking for the synonyms of "beautiful"! Wink
91help
excellent ideal,
wanee
its not really strange but an amazing thing! the ever well organized websites like this! Smile
endless
strangest thing, i guess a dirty pop-up :/
jon_k
Mother board problems 2 times:
1) Vid card slot blew out when i put in bottom slot it worked(sli MB) then back in top it worked for 5 mins then died. resault returned to newegg and got a new one for free
2)with the new MB we tryed to update bios and bios chip fried. Resault returned to newegg once again and got another new mb
FunDa
This happend to my friend.

His new Dell laptop (3 weeks) stopped working suddenly.
He called Dell service and they sent someone to have a look at it. They diagnosed that the hard disk was the problem and replaced it. Still not working

Then they tried replacing the motherboard. Still didn't fix it.

Then the DVD drvive was replaced. Still not fixed.

FInally, took out one of the two RAM chips - and it statred working. OVer a period of 2 weeks they figured out tat it was the RAM. That too after replacing the hard disk, motherboard, and the Dvd drive. They still are waiting for the new RAM chip, but the computer works just fine now.
poppat
My computer has recently started to play a media file that does not exist on my computer. It can be different everytime. The first time it happened I thought I had a virus because it sounded like the beginning of a porn move (i.e. bad acting setting up a scene, talk about mundane things affecting sex life, etc). I switched off my computer so that nothing else happened because my kids were in the house. The next time it sounded like the beginning of blockbuster movie, and the third time it was Reuters news reports.

I guess there must be some kind of virus attacking my system, but nothing shows up on any scans I do.

poppat
mshafiq
It was IBM PC.
Once I got message something like sharing irq error and system did not boot.

I tried what ever it could be,

changing ram, attaching new HD, booting from a bootable CD
but all in vain

You know what I found?
Just by chance I found that removing all extra PCI card that were not part of the system when I bout fixed the problem.

In fact it was just a 4 port USB card, its removal resolved the issue. Very Happy
Cmink32
The strangest thing I have had my PC do is getting cross-talk from tv stations through my speakers. The strange part is, the only time I can hear it is when my speakers are turned on but the volume is turned all the way down. Then you can barely hear what is going on. After figuring out it was discovery channel I was hearing I turned on my tv and none other then discovery channel was on TV. So I tried changing the channel and, sure enough, the sound I was hearing through my speakers would change to what ever was on TV. After changing out all the cables to my modem and trying to reconfigure some stuff I found out it was the splitter I was using to break the signal between my modem and my TV. I unplugged it and took it apart, finding that the insides of it has completely melted together. Changed that out so far haven't heard any tv through my speakers.
wicke
Maybe strangiest thing of these all. I think, this screenshot tells you.

That's why I don't like Vista.
kuyman
Well I used to tinker with a wide variety of computer crap, so lots of weird stuff has happened to me. I'll put them in chronological order.

One time after dinner, Mom, Dad, my sister Kylie and I pulled down the driveway and into the garage. Dad parks the car and we hear voices coming from upstairs. Not to be outdone, dad tells us to stay in the car and goes upstairs to investigate. He comes back about ten minutes and gets us. Turns out the must amazing adware ever had invaded their computer and was singing to us! Go figure.

My second favorite was the time I burned up a monitor. It was an old GEM monitor that my uncle mailed me (this thing weighed about fifty pounds... shipping must have been outrageous) that I had plugged into my Linux box in my bedroom. I kept smelling this odd smell around my desk for the longest time. One day I come in and the thing is smoking! And of course, the picture is still there too. So I took it out on the deck and used it as deck art.

Another one of my favorites was when I set the video card in that same computer on fire. I live in a pretty dusty house (right beside a railroad track that carries the majority of our West Virginia coal.... which isn't so clean...) and I don't religiously clean out my computer. So basically, it's completely full of dust. Including the fan on my video card. It was a big one, with a pretty large heat sync. Of course, when the fan finally stopped spinning, the card set on fire and the computer literally started smoking.

My absolute favorite, though, was the time I was cleaning out my grandpa's computer for him. Over the winter, we had been smelling something rather strange in his house, but it faded after about a week. We figured it was the neighbor (no kidding), so we disregarded it. So this Spring, we open the computer to clean it out and... there was a dead mouse adhered by its own fluid to the side of the computer. I had never done such nasty things with a putty knife before. Oh my...
mikakiev
My DVD player disappeared and I cannot install any new one because of the traces from the old one.Also I reinstalled the system twice and nothing. Sad
westcp
hey

back when stiffy drives were around, my friend had the issue that the stiffy drive affected the lap top monitor!

weird hey???
FunDa
mikakiev wrote:
My DVD player disappeared and I cannot install any new one because of the traces from the old one.Also I reinstalled the system twice and nothing. Sad

Who still uses DvD player software ? Use VLC or SMplayer
Pepperfan
I work in IT so I have a thousand stories but I will share this one with you today.
Quote:

Hey all,

I had an amusing experience today. I was called out for a copier that was no longer working. It was not powering up at all.

I got there and checked the power and the cables. Everything should be fine.but it wasn't coming on. So I had to call the repair people. They found a former mouse lodged in side the coper attempting to eat wires in the power supply.

The shock he received caused him to pee himself and that caused him to receive fatal shock and took out the entire copier! $1100 in damage! I decided that he should for ever more be known as Mortem Mouse which is Latin for Dead Mouse. Smile

Every one had to gather around to see that one!

So I thought I would share

balend
its possible that it was just a faulty psu
Variablez
Once my computer started moving the mouse on screen it self, very randomly. I tried controlling it but nothing happened, it was like someone hacked me... intresting experiance though! Razz
ankitdatashn
odonnellb wrote:

your computer set on fire, jesus!, thank the god dear friend that you are safe, it must have been because of of some short circuit.
fantabulousinc
Strangest thing that happened to me on my computer? hmm.. it was about three years ago, I turned on the computer and there was a dog, a labrador retriever to be exact, walking back and forth across my monitor. It even had a little dog bed in the bottom corner and a food bowl. Yea, it was pretty crazy! It stayed for about like... two and a half weeks i think, and one day when i turned on my monitor, the dog was gone, along with all its accessories. Even to this day, I still want to know what it was...
mshafiq
I was using torrent program in Fedora Linux and it displayed some errors, ... read only files system...

When i see space, more than 2GB is free.

I think I am goignt o loose my data (of about 1.5GB) that I downloaded via torrent.

Sad
PennyLane
the strangest thing... well, that has to be that one time where somebody broke into my computer and was able to take a look at all my files (actually it wasn't strange, it was just creepy!!)
mshafiq
Today, at office, I faced a weird problem.

To get display on addition /connected Monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 700IFT) I had to connect to some other monitor then attach Samsung's cable to my laptop to get its display.

Laptop is Dell Latitude D620

Strange!!!
Stubru Freak
mshafiq wrote:
I was using torrent program in Fedora Linux and it displayed some errors, ... read only files system...

When i see space, more than 2GB is free.

I think I am goignt o loose my data (of about 1.5GB) that I downloaded via torrent.

Sad

What file system is it? Some file systems (e.g. FAT) have a 2 GB limit on individual files. So if the file used was 2 GB (maybe due to overhead or something), the torrent couldn't continue downloading. If this is the case, you should probably be able to continue downloading by moving it to another partition which supports larger files, or converting the partition to use another file system (make sure to first save your files somewhere else though).

Oh and if you want to respond, do it in another topic and notify me please.
pamelahicks
once while on dialup, i forgot my son was on the internet (through AOL) and i picked up the phone and dialed out. somehow, i was on the phone and he on the internet at the same time!
chatrack
The most strange thing about my pc is now happening....

I have a low speed pc 400mhz. I used to load win98. i have no ups. when power go off , it simply get off.

After 4 or 5 such power failure.. it is used to show up "Windows protection error" and can not be started. So i need to reinstall again win98.

Now i am useing winME, and with no ups , it have a fast stop almost 100 times or more...

still now no problem.... it seems very strange to me... still now
Idoru
I have a strange thing happening now...
Just formatet the system-drive, and re-installed windows XP. At first there was no problem, but after
a while we noticed that there was no recycle-bin... Searched everywhere (and I know somewhat what
I'm doing), but the only place it was found was in the explorer. There it said that it was on the desktop
as a symbol!?
Finally, I had to make a shortcut to it, and put on the desktop. So, in the explorer it now looks as if
we have two recycle-bins, but my eyes only see one. Perhaps it's time to get drunk? lol (or do you have
any better ideas?)
amperx
i used xp and setup a environment variable, but it didnt had any effect, tried a restart, and to no avail it did not, must be a bug from xp
ramzzhakim
I think the best thing that happened to me was when I built my computer i set it up and pressed the power button and nothing went on. I was furious and yelled, yes yelled, at it for 5 minutes and pressed the power button again and it booted Razz.... Yes It was pretty funny. you should have seen my sister's face. Priceless
myhearing
Looool. Ok, im absolutely baffled by the photo of the Rat? Cat? W/e it is.lol Funniest thing has to be DIRTY POP-UPS. Back when Windows XP first came out and i was installing it on my computer, i decided to leave it over night installing the final stages and then rebooting etc. What i hadnt realised is that there was the 'messenger' service enabled which if ppl remember meant that you would be getting all sorts of adverts and popups on your desktop. A patch later came out to sort that out. Meanwhile, whist i was asleep, my mum came into my room to wake me up, looked at the PC monitor, which was FULL of dirty popups and adverts. Lets jst say i woke up JUMPING out of bed!! loool.

Other than that, the MOST Annoying thing id have to say is probably popups and spyware. They are the pain of my life! Id rather have millions of viruses than Spyware!! Eitherrr way, thats about it..

Any1 have any other funny stories?lool
myhearing
Ooooh, and for some reason on this computer, my sound card has gone bust, which means that when i play games (ok, just Counter Strike Razz ) It runs REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY slowly for some reason. I actually dont understand the relevance but hey!!llol STILL trying to find a solution for it. Crying or Very sad
myhearing
neji wrote:

Surely thats a contradiction?? your NEXT PC? Will be an Imac?

You mean, your next computer will be an iMac?? Cant STAND Apple...(or there users!).lol
IceCreamTruck
neji wrote:

Why? well..

My friend had a similar experience when we were in europe...we brought our desktops from the USA because they have 220v converters built in, right. Well, he forgot to hit the switch before plugging it in, so he plugged a set at 110v power supply into a 220v outlet.

I have never seen so much smoke in just one room of a house... it was thick too.

So we aired out the house, and he bought a new desktop that month. The powersupply didn't manage to cut off before it fried his processor, memory, and motherboard. All of it was trash. He didn't loose any data on his hard drive though, so there were a few things he was able to use on the system after that.

This is a 101 lesson in how to turn a computer into a smoke machine -- Don't try this at home. Twisted Evil
IceCreamTruck
kuyman wrote:

My second favorite was the time I burned up a monitor. It was an old GEM monitor that my uncle mailed me (this thing weighed about fifty pounds... shipping must have been outrageous) that I had plugged into my Linux box in my bedroom. I kept smelling this odd smell around my desk for the longest time. One day I come in and the thing is smoking! And of course, the picture is still there too. So I took it out on the deck and used it as deck art.

I'm just curious about the "picture" still being there. Do you mean that the last image your computer displayed was still on the screen forever after that? Because that would be really cool, and of all the stories on this particular topic would be one of the coolest "weird thing" that your computer has done.
Dennise
System is PC with XP Home SP3 and AVG 8.0.173 with 'Start Automatic Updates' checked. I normally put my PC into HIBERNATE state when I am not using it. I have an "always on" internet connection.

Can anyone answer this simple question? What happens when AVG's Update Manager attempts an update when the PC is in HIBERNATE state?

Will AVG automatically trigger a PC wakeup to do the update? If AVG does trigger a wakeup and completes the download and update; does AVG return the PC to HIBERNATE state?

Sometime after I upgraded to XP SP3 and AVG 8.0.173, my PC has been turning on mysteriously and staying on. This never happened before.

When trying to understand applications with 'automatic features', very rarely does the documentation say what happens when the feature activates, and the PC is not actually turned on. AVG's 'Start Automatic Updates' in one such feature.

Can anyone answer this? This is always confusing. Rolling Eyes
ninjakannon
Dennise wrote:
Can anyone answer this simple question? What happens when AVG's Update Manager attempts an update when the PC is in HIBERNATE state?

That cannot happen.

When a computer 'hibernates' the contents of the RAM are copied to the hard disk, then the computer shuts down practically as normal. When you next turn your computer on the RAM is set back to its original state (practically), as though you had just left the computer on.

Nothing can run while the computer is 'hibernating' as it's off.
Utopia GFR
Nothing really weird here.

Even though I'd consider what happened, totally unexpected.

My old laptop gave its last breath when I woke up in the morning before going to work.

After relentlessly trying to make it work again (I tried to restore it by all means (CD recovery etc...), I had to cope with a HDD crash "just like that" as the previous day everything worked fine and smoothly.

One never knows what to expect, unfortunately Sad

Does anyone know where I could d/l a "health barometer" (preferably freeware) for laptop HDD's?

neji wrote:

Why? well..

Donutey
Weirdest thing that happened to me, is when running the Google Chrome beta release the screen would every once in a while flash blue, and then the screen just stayed blue and the computer froze. It was a very odd experience. It should be noted that Chrome is a beta release, so these things are sort of expected...
Horizon
The most recent thing that happened (today) is my computer wouldn't turn on.. We have a PowerSurge box thing where you have to press a button to turn on the whole computer (including everything plugged into this box), and nothing happened. After reading the manual, it said that the outlet is probably shot and it's a fire hazard to try and turn on the computer.. so now I'm stuck with my laptop >.>

Ah well.. can't expect everything to last forever.
TheVietMasta
one time my computer just popped up some random downloading message Sad...it showed up for like 2 seconds i didn't have anything open at all...wonder what i downloaded ran a virus scan but nothing Sad someone is spying on my computer i bet :\
consultant57
Not so strange. My hard drive crashed. I thought all hope was lost. I took it to 2 tech support centers and they said it was dead-fried-beyond repair. But then I found @@@@ Consulting. They were able to recover ALL of my data. I've been a loyal customer ever since.
AMANITECH
can any1 show me a gud free hosting website

one dat u dun hav 2 earn piontz 4
Dennise
Today, my Netscape(7) email tool did something I have never seen in more than 10 years of use.

All emails I tried to SEND were returned with this message:

Quote:
This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.
The e-mail server has responded with the following error:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

DATA: Message identified as SPAM - Please visit http://www.charter.com/postmaster
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Your e-mail message is being returned to you in the next part of this
message. Try to send the message again.

Should you need assistance, please contact your administrator or your
Internet service provider.

You can also verify e-mail client's settings, for instance:
- whether your SMTP autentization has been configured
- whether you have provided correct SMTP server name
- whether the sender's address responds to the used SMTP server domain

I have no idea what caused this, but after a reboot, I don't see the problem now.

.............. weird!!
Rolling Eyes
SonLight
Utopia GFR wrote:

Does anyone know where I could d/l a "health barometer" (preferably freeware) for laptop HDD's?

I only found a commercial one (ActiveSmart) for Windows, but they do offer a free trial. I got smartmontools for my Ubuntu system. It says my newer drive is ok, and the older one doesn't have SMART built in, so it had better be expendable! The package is a sourceforge project, so it may run on Windows either now or eventually. You might want to search for others on the internet, and if you don't mind building the program from source, you can probably get smartmontools to work for you.

Don't expect it to predict all failures in advance. Opinions seem to vary, that somewhere between 30% and 70% of failures may be preceded by warnings. It seems good to know whaat's going on, but the real answer to your question is backup frequently so it won't be a crisis if a totally unexpected crash occurs.
jonchalk
The strangest thing that happened was a couple of years ago when I got my new PC for my office - whenever I enabled "java" on any of my browsers, my screen immediately goes black. I am unable to see my mouse cursor yet my windows was actively running. So I had to use another pc with an internet link to search for answers on what to do in this case. Though I never did find out why it did that. But the search at least helped me to find how to close all windows by keyboard commands alone - no pun intended, by doing it blind.

Ever since then I never enabled java on any of my browsers. And I never plan to either.
antichrist_elexnet
well i have this Maxtor 2 TB network HDD (shared storage).. i use its standard program to configure and access it, but the thing is that when i configure it (add/delete users and edit shared/private folder options, everything is ok and all changes get saved on the network HDD.. but when i try to access it with the same program.. it says "no network shared device found" ... i have alot of network HDDs and i never had any problem with any of them (i have 1x 1TB, 3x 500GB, 1x 200GB, 1x 160GB and all Maxtor).. anyone can help?

Also i had this Asus T2Series computer.. it had 2 HDDs and 2 CD/DVD drives... there was a windows XP sp2 on it, and after i updated the system, it asked to reboot... and then it didnt want to run the system (start windows)... when i entered the BIOS, i noticed that the motherboard doesnt want to see the IDE HDDs, it just writes Primary Master IDE - None Primary Slave IDE - None...
I turned it off for about 30 minutes, and then, when i turned it back on, it started like nothing ever happened... that was really weird, i repair cmputers 10th year already and i have never seen something like that...
kristi01
blue screen of death.. that makes me laugh

um, but one time a little man popped up and it looked like he was walking around inside a maze with wires and such, freaked me out so badly.
torboxz
Strange things happen until now. Each time I shut down my PC, I have to press reset button once before I press the power button. My PC wont boot if I don't do that. I don't know what went wrong. Maybe the casing had wiring problem. That's why I let it on 24/7. You should see my electric bills. It kills me.
alappuzhakaran
My strangest stuff happened when I tried to install Xp on my HP laptop (specs in that link) and it went in to blue screen.. I was compelled to switch back to Vista Sad and a virtualised version of ubuntu 7.10 in it.
GeoffA
I recently signed up for Skype. And being somewhat hearing impaired I thought that it would be much easier to understand people by using a headset with two headphones. I have never had cause to use a headset before, so I was surprised when it did not turn out to be as good as I expected.

I hear okay now with the headset. but when I am engaged in the back and forth of a conversation, it is like there is some sort of jarring happening that has me "interrupting" or being sort of "cut off" before finishing a sentence by the person that I am talking to.

So, I delved into the depths of Win XP Pro and waded through the Sound,Speech, and Audio section in the control panel until I happened upon the place where I can test the microphone and hear my voice through the headphones. Aaargh! if you want to experience a fair example of what it is like to hear voices in your head caused by psychosis, try this one. My voice was coming back through the headset about 1/4 of a second later. It was almost impossible to continue talking with the loud clatter of my own voice coming back at me.

Considering that Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone 132 years ago with a perfectly aligned microphone and headpiece, it boggles my imagination that between the hardware manufacturers and Microsoft, that this horrible thing has been developed. It is even more boggling that all that Microsoft has done to "remedy" the problem is to include a comment with the test to the effect that I might hear a slight delay!

Ah well! Such is the march of progress. I wonder what sort of junk people will be buying in another 132 years time that simply does not work as well as what we have now in 2008. Pity I won't be around in 2140.

Be well!
FunDa
alappuzhakaran wrote:
My strangest stuff happened when I tried to install Xp on my HP laptop (specs in that link) and it went in to blue screen.. I was compelled to switch back to Vista Sad and a virtualised version of ubuntu 7.10 in it.

Vista running a virtualised version of Ubuntu - now that is strange !
greendayfan62
Someone disabled the pop-up blocker on my computer-it took ten minutes to clear them all off the screen Shocked it was very odd
nosnhoj909
wow i could rant here. my most recent pc anomily was the random exploding of my flash drive. wasnt much of an explosion but i was moving some pics and a fair amount of sparks began to fly out of it. i threw it across the room and it dont work no more...
thejam
Just tried to wake up my Macbook pro..But it was off, but i was sure it was supposed to be sleeping, pretty musch charged. After trying to charge it 9what didn't work) take out the battery, and everything else i knew to get it back alive again..
So went to the apple store, where they stripped it down to check out the inside. Soon they found the problem. A cackroach had crawled into my laptop and caused it to ...(still don't know)
Anyway, its working again and hope its just home to virtual bugz now...
dac_nip
this did not happen to me but on our laboratory a few years back. Strange thing: I suppose having your uninterrupted power supply (UPS) burned will qualify? strange right. Hehe, to be technical about it, its over voltage.. aroung 600V, the ground (sink) was not right and when the lightning strikes it went over voltage to 600V, so the UPS got burned. If its over current then the UPS would have stopped it. but its over voltage. as a result, the entire motherboard was burned also. too bad ha, this is a reminder to all of us that we must have a proper ground on our electronics Smile
tony
I shorted a mobo once while I was putting it in a case (while running, big mistake).
godgod
Hi ,
which according t you is the best wordpress hoster .
I have been googling but of no avail ..Finly stumbled upon frihost ,, lets see how it goes .
Thanks
mshafiq
I do not know if it is strange or not but I did and found it very very useful.

Using Alcohol to clean CD drive's lens

I was trying to install Linux on my old PC.

It was taking too long even to boot from Fedora Live CD.

I used a little piece of paper-towel, wet it with alcohol and brushed the lens of CD drive.

The result was amazing.

Drive started reading very fast ...

I can not describe the difference in performance.

You may try it (on your own risk though) and let us know if you also feel the difference.

-- Regards
ianlacy
The weirdest thing my computer has ever done is a strange intermittent USB issue. MP3 players, Flash drives, etc. (but not Memory Cards or external HDDs) read for between 2 and 5 minutes before the connection is lost. This makes anything media wise really hard. This problem started developing a couple years ago and continued to get worse until now I have to use my other computer for anything media related.

I can probably just replace the module in my laptop...i just need some money first. But yeah, I thought that was an odd intermittent issue.

Rolling Eyes
andredesignz
You not gonna believe this but its the truth the side of my Tower is open and i rat when inside and he got Fried Laughing and i had to get a new 500G hard drive am not ever know how that happen Confused
Arty
The cd drive completely ruined my disc :'(
OpposableThumbs
Well, this didn't happen to my computer but to someone in one of my classes. She was going to give a PowerPoint presentation. She turned on her computer, plugged the vga cable that connects to the classroom projector, and her laptop started to emit sparks, popped, and then died. Turns out there actually is a little power going through a vga cable.
vicar013
@ianlacy...
I had that usb drop out prob a few months ago. This system had never done it b4 so I had an intensive google at it, it was the usual "drivers conflicting" thing, have a fiddle it might not b a hardware fault.

Wierdest thing... I installed a mushroom in the ram slot and when I booted it up the screen engulfed reality, it was sweeeeeeet as. Flew through a valley of galaxies and touched gods knob.
loonix
Drawingguy wrote:
For a time, the disk drive simply stopped working, in that I'd put in a cd, but it just wouldn't be recognized, no matter what I did. Another time, I was using an external sound card, and I was so frustrated, because whenever I started the computer, the colors would be disotorted and inverted, while eveerything would be in a terrible resolution. Eventually, it turned out that whenever I started the computer with the sound card still in it, it would do that...but then the sound card wouldn't work if I inserted it after startup. SO, that was the end of that.

Yeah...it's just not the same as an exploding/singing computer...

You should never add or remove any hardware after the machine is powered up :p
formulam
I used to fix computers and the weirdest one was a woman who couldn't get her CD drive open because it was stuffed up with hair from her St Bernard and a church's computer which had spyware on it which kept bringing up pictures of enormous tits!!!
dallae
my computer just puckedon me and said "i hate you." lol Laughing
dallae
formulam wrote:
I used to fix computers and the weirdest one was a woman who couldn't get her CD drive open because it was stuffed up with hair from her St Bernard and a church's computer which had spyware on it which kept bringing up pictures of enormous tits!!!

oh and what an embarrassing situation in the church
mwsupra
Working in tech support I see many weird things on other people's computers, but the funniest happened on my previous comp. Had an old Starcraft CD which had a hairline crack in the center but still worked. All of a sudden, I hear a real bad sound from the CD drive. The front case of the drive shot off, and small sharp piece of the CD starting shooting out at my leg. The force was strong enough to give me a small cut Laughing
ParsaAkbari
i got 1066 viruses >.<

Took me ages to clear that up. The virus scan took ages too. So i quit it and started deleting the bogus dll's.
mshafiq
SUB: Unable to delete file having no name

Here is description of the problem and how I found Ubuntu amazingly powerful.

Once I unzipped a software (I forgot its name now) to know if I could use it as portable application using 7-zip and it made some files and directories.

and some files did not have any name.

And i tried my best but I was unable to delete them, even I used killbox or other couple of utilities (generally these kind of applications try to delete the files/folders during boot time).

And as a matter of fact, I booted my laptop using Fedora-7-live CD and it came up up with malfunctioned GUI after many error massages (on my Dell laptop).

Then I booted my laptop with a Ubuntu CD and it gave a good GUI interface/Desktop successfully.

Then I was able to remove/delete those files/folder (even they were on NTFS volume).

Imagine, how powerful Ubuntu is (it accessed NTFS partition with full permissions (read/write)).

It saved my time as otherwise I was going to format my HD.
afpics
Something or the other strange thing keeps happening to me all the time!!! There are so many that if I keep noting them down I can get paid for the book!

Probably thats because I live my life around PCs, on my laptop, desktop, everywhere...
dmeijboom
Weard :S,
But i think get iMAC doesn't help
ankitdatashn
Well my laptop goes bananas when it gets heated. And it gets heated really soon. As the vent is below it and am having a tendency to place it over a surface and hence the vent gets blocked and it gets heated and eventually it goes boom out.

Also my laptop remote didn't worked, i thought the cells may be weak, went to a shop got them replaced, but alas they still not work. Any techie out here to solve this problem?
Kyohtee
The strangest thing thats ever happend on my PC was when i was on a Cp game and then all of the sudden of video popt up and it was about a girl ghost... odd..... Shocked
Horizon
Just recently I bought the Fallout 3 game for PC. I had ought unreal Tournament 3 beforehand and it worked fine with my computer. F3 had the same System Requirements as UT3 but.. it wouldn't work? Not the strangest thing but annoying otherwise. Waste of 50 bucks >.<
DJonDemand
I was just chilling and volume was blasted and my computer randomly played a sound file "IM GONNA KILL YOU" probably off a website...scared the shit out of me.
FunDa
DJonDemand wrote:
I was just chilling and volume was blasted and my computer randomly played a sound file "IM GONNA KILL YOU" probably off a website...scared the shit out of me.

That was scary. Was it someone playing a prank on you ? Or a virus which does this randomly ?

I had a virus which would laugh maniacally "Muhaha" when I tried to go to youtibe or orkut

I figured out hoe to disable and remove it but lots of my friends still get it from their pen drives.
uday
The strangest thing to happen to my computer was the 'c' and 'm' keys not working on a Dell Latitude. Sure enough the mother board needed to be replaced. Still used copy and paste to keep on coding Cool
sana618
strange thing that happened to my pc ws that last week suddenly my pc restarted all by itself and no one was using it at that time we were busy watching tv. after that i was unable to log in to my gtalk or yahoo messangers for one whole day. the next day it ws ok all by itself and working normally. Smile
ankitdatashn
uday wrote:
The strangest thing to happen to my computer was the 'c' and 'm' keys not working on a Dell Latitude. Sure enough the mother board needed to be replaced. Still used copy and paste to keep on coding Cool

Hi, yaah that reminds me of my case too, my keyboard also got stuck of my desktop. I think my m & n & b keys were not working as far as I remember. First few times to solve the problem i struck the keyboard hard with my hand and it solved the problem sometimes. But then when it began giving excessive problem I opened the keyboard and removed all the keys then saw a plastic sheet(2 infact clubbed together).

Then used aftershave and cleaned the plastic sheet mettalic connections. Reassembled the keyboard and Luckily all went fine and it began working. But when it again began giving problem I changed to a different keyboard!!
Segarac
My computer had a virus, and every time I opened IE, some kind of song would start playing... >.O
mshafiq
Sub: New HP laptop is not compatible with Ubuntu* (Linux) Live CD

I bought HP Pavilion 15.4" Laptop featuring Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5800 (G50-116CA) from Future Shop (also available at Bestbuy) and tried to boot from latest Ubuntu* (Linux) live CD.

It (CD) had been working everywhere but it did not work on this laptop.
It hanged after the language screen.

Luckily Fedora** CD worked fine for it.

* http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition
* download-able from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

** http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora
snowynight
Explode......

My strangest thing is that at times i cannot delete files, even after reinstallation some files in other drive partition will refuse to be deleted.

But now i know things like killbox or uninstaller will be useful in this case.
Horizon
My newest discovery was being caused by my neighbors' router for internet connection.. Every time they disconnect or reconnect, I lose my own internet connection which forces me to disconnect and reconnect to my own. But for some reason, my neighbors seem to need to turn their routers on and off constantly.. Which, in turn, boots me off the internet. I doubt they're doing it on purpose, but it's probably some kind of fault with my laptop. It happens to my sisters' computer as well, though! It gets too dang annoying >.<
scriptedsymphony
Well, I have recently come to the conclusion that the prehistoric PC my parents got for me years ago was recovered from the junkyard, but don't tell them I know.
One time I was just minding my own business and I clicked on FF and exactly 250 windows of FIREFOX HELP popped up, and they were all saying stupid things like: "CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED TO WIN A FREE APPLE IPHONE."
FunDa
scriptedsymphony wrote:
Well, I have recently come to the conclusion that the prehistoric PC my parents got for me years ago was recovered from the junkyard, but don't tell them I know.
One time I was just minding my own business and I clicked on FF and exactly 250 windows of FIREFOX HELP popped up, and they were all saying stupid things like: "CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED TO WIN A FREE APPLE IPHONE."

I think the stranger thing is that it could open 250 windows at the same time and not crash - wonder if they gie 250 free iPhones

Smile
Horizon
Just recently, I was on MSN Messenger when my touchpad for my laptop suddenly stopped working.. Then I got an error asking me to close the program for the touchpad because it wasn't responding..... But I couldn't close it because my touchpad wasn't working xD. Luckily I bought a seperate mouse to use with the laptop. Closing the program resulted in fixing the touchpad.. Very weird.
mshafiq
I have a Trendnet wireless Adapter.

From about 40 feet and used it to get connectivity from Trendnet Router.

the power strength and link quality was about 60% each.

It got weird ip address [like 169.xyx.xyz.xzy] rather to get as 192.168.2.xyz and it did not connect properly. I though either wireless part of router or adapter itself is bad.

Moreover, in the wireless networks list it shows 'disconnected' in the bottom and 'Connect' in its own line. When we double click it it says some thing like '.. are really want to disconnect.."

After decreasing the distance between router and adapter it worked well, though.
FunDa
My computer turns on and off for no particular reason.

and sometimes makes a muhaha sound when I try to go to orkut or youtube

And it shows a message tooo....
Also I am not able to use firefox.

Help !!!!!
rockacola
Power supply literally blow up in my face when I flipped voltage from 240v to 120v

..... oh wait, that's not strange, that's what MEANT to happen Evil or Very Mad
ChaserTheWolf
all my desktop icons started moving around randomly, it is like the image rotation javascript. i think i got a small virus, i just rebooted my computer, and it stopped.
Parkour_Jarrod
I had successfully managed to get 12587 Trojans and 15876 Trjoan droppers with 2054 Worms and 258654 cookies :O
saratdear
My PC has lots of weird things...but right now, the weirdest thing is the scrollbar jumping around randomly while I am internet browsing or searching for files or whatever. And YES, I have tried cleaning the mouse and also checked for viruses.

Anyone out there who can help me out?
FunDa
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
I had successfully managed to get 12587 Trojans and 15876 Trjoan droppers with 2054 Worms and 258654 cookies :O

Successfully !!!!!!!!!!!

You have a weird idea of success LOL Laughing

My PC would just crash and die if it gets more than 10 viruses. It's just too slow to support high end viruses
silencet25
neji wrote:

Why? well..

My monitor exploded was not very fun
Faraz
One day I opened my cdrom to clean the dust, and when I put it back in the computer and turned it on. BANG! And it's gone... Shocked Don't know what I did wrong. Since that day I am scared to touch the inside of my pc.
Triple_7
Glad to know I'm not the only one with an exploding power supply issue. I didn't know it was so common, a bit scary to think about really. About 3 weeks ago I was sitting here about 1AM surfing the net and BANG, sparks and flames started shooting from the PSU. Unplugged from the wall immediately with smoke pouring out of it, got it out of the rig and out my front door rather quickly. My room will never smell the same Embarassed Thermaltake replaced it for free after 3 weeks of calling and deafening a few ears. Just got the replacement in today and back up and running again Confused I'm just glad it happened while I was sitting here, there are a lot of times I leave the computer running while I'm out of the house either for a long download or a program running Shocked

Another strange occurrence from a couple months ago. I wanted to up my RAM to 4gb, ordered 2 new 1gb sticks identical to the ones I had. After plugging them in my computer became possessed, after hitting the power button it kept half loading then shutting off, then randomly on and off till I killed the main power. For some reason it killed my 2 original sticks but not the 2 new ones. Mad After rebate the 2 new ones were only $30, but when I bought the original 2 they were up near $150 Mad So I've been running on 2gb since with plans to eventually just get 2 2gb sticks instead Confused
FunDa
Faraz wrote:
One day I opened my cdrom to clean the dust, and when I put it back in the computer and turned it on. BANG! And it's gone... Shocked Don't know what I did wrong. Since that day I am scared to touch the inside of my pc.

Happened to me too.... CD just broke into pieces, and destroyed the drive opening mechanism too.
Zombie
On my mac, I ran that gravity virus. Incase any of you haven't seen the demonstration video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBJQ5085kSo
misha9090
Some day my computer open a window and my computer crushed Sad but i format my computer and it's all ok Smile
FunDa
misha9090 wrote:
Some day my computer open a window and my computer crushed Sad but i format my computer and it's all ok Smile

Let me guess - U were using Windows ????

Ur computer opened windows and it crashed ...
majix560
Yantaal wrote:
mines pretty wierd, every now and then it just talks to me, there can be no windows open and it wil start playing a sound file. One time it was ghost busters, made me laugh, but i do still wonder whatit is.

Happens to me when using Windows. I used to just turn off wireless when it happened, which appeared to cut off the sound file.
I say 'used to' because for some reason Windows XP would just start crashing. Sometimes it crashes before it's reached the lofing screen, sometimes it crashes a few minutes after I am loged in. But my laptop doesn't crash when running Linux.
FunDa
Computers are sometimes crazy, rite ????

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
mshafiq
I have a Dell laptop and its mouse pad is not working.
Apparently there is no breaking of hardware but I do not know why it stopped working.

Soon I'm going to contact Dell but it looks I will not service as laptop is more than 3 years old.

any way Good Luck..
ankitdatashn
My computer has a very stubborn virus into its tummy. Its something that can be described as pendrive virus. Now the thing(very irritating thing would be a more better word) which this virus does is making and autorun.inf + more files in the pendrive. And when we copy paste the stuff from the pendrive into the computer then this virus changes them into exe files and some hidden files. Because the file has a changed format it is corrupted and all the data is lost.

It really very annoying virus, want to throw my laptop away but anyways my folly the anti-virus was low on resources but also very unprotective. Nowadays using Mcafee and its better still, the virus entered when I was using Avast. But none can remove this virus uptill now, tried so many malware eaters and now I am fed up... Mad
mshafiq
Yesterday, my usb scanner was not working,
you why?

Because my usb mouse and usb Keybaord was also connected to laptop.
Even by unplugging any device it did not work unless i removed both and kept only scanner.

the reason is clear, lower power availability.
What a mess if i need to arrange a powered usb hub.
Anyway, alway keep in mind that some usb devices may not work due power limitation.

thanks!!!
andrewsteinborn
On Halloween one of my computer's power supply blew up. Guess I didn't believe in Halloween Shocked

Another was like 20 rogues booting up on that computer.

I never forgot the fact that adware also plundered that computer.
Radar
Have no idea. I've deleted the contents of the trash and discovered that somehow I must have put all applications on the computer in there. I've had my laptop just freeze - cursor, clock, everything - which is really really weird for a Mac, running essentially Unix with it's separate processes.

Generally, not much. Have the feeling that strange things do happen sometimes, but it's very rare thankfully.
mshafiq
Subject: Hairline fracture in Motherboard was causing the problem

I just remembered that once my PC was not working occasionally.
Sometimes it worked and sometimes not.

I took it to repair shop and they were unable to find the falut after spending 12 days.

Finally I was too embarrassed with the situation I decided to discard the use of this PC.

so at that stage, I decided to do an operation and opened my CPU removed HDs, Motherboard from its grips etc.

And just for fun I attached all the stuff again but not CPU's casing but just on table..

To make the long story short, let me tell you that a found a hairline fracture in the motherboard.

That was the reason, when all connections are in place it works well and otherwise it does not.

Anyway, I had to but the new motherboard and it fixed the issue.

-- Thanks
djpharis
Yantaal wrote:
mine does that to then it stops after a while so i just turn the speakers off but my laptop doesent
FunDa
Mine makes swishing noises.

I don't know what it is, but its the same sound that comes when a new chat message comes.

But it comes randomly when I'm not even connected to the internet.

And the chat software is not even open.

been there for quite a few months, haven't been able to find out why it comes yet
mshafiq
Yesterday, I had to give my laptop back to office as they told me to use a desktop PC.
During the stage of transferring data, I made a folder of some of my data and it was about more than 4.7 GB.
I thought I would compress it to write it on DVD.
I compressed using 7Zip.
Although I did not write a DVD but transferred it using a 4GB usb drive.

When today I uzipped the .7z file

I got broken file messages many time
And I found a lot of a lot of files with 0 bytes.

Unluckily I had removed the data from laptop and USB, so is worst part to survive with 75% corrupt (or lost) data.

So never ever delete data before confirmation.
[I just confirmed if it was copied on my new PC but the data integrity and now I repent a lot]

-- Best Regards
FunDa
mshafiq wrote:
Yesterday, I had to give my laptop back to office as they told me to use a desktop PC.
During the stage of transferring data, I made a folder of some of my data and it was about more than 4.7 GB.
I thought I would compress it to write it on DVD.
I compressed using 7Zip.
Although I did not write a DVD but transferred it using a 4GB usb drive.

When today I uzipped the .7z file

I got broken file messages many time
And I found a lot of a lot of files with 0 bytes.

Unluckily I had removed the data from laptop and USB, so is worst part to survive with 75% corrupt (or lost) data.

So never ever delete data before confirmation.
[I just confirmed if it was copied on my new PC but the data integrity and now I repent a lot]

-- Best Regards

Evenif u deleted the files, some file recovery softwares can recover some of the files, especially if nothing else was done on the computer after the deletion.

U can try that if the data was very important.

I recovered some photos that I accidentally deleted with Recover My Files.

There are lots of free alternatives like Recuva. Just Google for "free data recovery software"
mshafiq
Subject: Java wasted my time a lot

When I was going to launch a Java application from .jnlp file it was taking infinity time.

I uninstalled Java/JRE and installed again, updated etc.etc. but all in vain.
It wasted almost half of my day.
Finally I restored the PC and it was OK.
But after some time it was bad again.
Most probably due to windows' upgrade/updates.
You know after all windows updates, I upgraded the Java and it fixed the issue.

This was the Java or Windows trouble, I leave it up to you to decide.

-- Thanks and Best Regards
Asap170
Once on my parents computer I went and turned it on and suddenly this song started to play, but the song wasn't on the computer and it wasn't a virus, and there was no programs open. It was quite freaky.
mshafiq
Subject: People sells more expensive used PC than shops

This time strange thing did not happen with my PC yet but with peoples selling PCs.
I needed to buy a PC just for my kid and tried to buy it from Kijiji.com / craiglist.com and was about to buy from a seller when I realized people are asking a lot of price compared to the shops’ prices who sell used PCs.
It was verified yesterday as I bought a PC for 60 dollars (Canadian) only with following configuration,
Intel (R) 2.26GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB Hard drive, CD-Drive, Floppy Drive (although not required) Sound, 2NIC*. VGA*
* One NIC, Sound and VGA are built-in in the Mother board.

And you know people are selling P3 for $60 or even more.
So do not buy PCs from people but from shops.

Comments: This perhaps due the fact that people buy expensive PC at the time of purchase and over the time value drops but their mind cannot cope the price change and they always think our PC is costly. This very very very true for Laptops

-- Thanks
ankitdatashn
Tochwood, my computer is working fine, the virus I mentioned in the earlier post is now gone. Only thing which irritate me now it my wi-fi router. I dont know what its problem is but it needs to be restarted every half an hour. Now the "big" problem it creates is while filling online forms, if it hangs while filling the form the whole content and hence the hardwork is lost.

Technology is ridiculous sometimes...!!
mshafiq
I have a 256MB USB as 1MB USB

How?

I took place of an employee who left for studies in my company.
There have been some USBs for my job related operations.

One of the USB is 256MB as it is identical to others but it shows only 1MB approximately.
It is always as read only. I could not format it. Even in Linux I was unable to format it.
I saw a lot of forums /d discussion and there are a lot of victims of this situation.

Some suggested some solutions which worked for some people but as like lot of others, I was unable to find a solution yet.

I know it costs some bucks only, but the question 'is its firmware really has gone bad?'

-- Thanks !!!
Stolich
My weirdest experience was that my computer (running Windows XP at that time) suddenly booted all by itself. Perhaps I was seeing things cause I have no idea how that is possible.
Greatking
pc goes off on its on and comes back on. loose everything i was working on. i go on to work and try and retrieve everything only to see it saved in another file later. very strang. i was happy though cause i did not have to retype everything.
mshafiq
Ref: Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:54 pm, Post subject: 256MB USB as 1MB USB

I would like to mentioned that I was about to throw that USB (which became a ready only USB with 1MB size), I though
let us open it, I opened it cleaned with hot water and soap just to have fun, but all in vain, of course although it was still functional as a 1MB ready only USB.

I tried one more search and in a forum there was a long discussion and a lot of solutions.

One participant mentioned to the following software.
Flash Disk Manager source: http://flashdiskmanager.software.informer.com/

And you know, it fixed the drive.

I mentioned it here as this is useful too for many kind of purposes.
This/same software can be used to encrypt it again. It would then again show 1MB ready only.
Once you run the program shown in ready only root of this usb, enter proper password and the usb becomes available a normal USB.

So I found a locked USB and learnt a lot, especially found a good software to encrypt it. I can keep any kind of data now (even personal/credit card info) as only I can open it using password, for other peoples either it is use less or they have to formate it using above mentioned software.
Ryox
The strangest thing I experienced was overclocking my laptop by stupidy and causing my laptop to get the Blue screen of death and, a few hours ago, I was outside had my laptop in my backpack and when I got back my laptop was making the Hard-Drive overclocking noice, i hit it like 3 times and it stopped lol..

Good way to make the hard-drive noise stop xD hitting it. lol.. Well, It was hot so it was making that noise. but I took it out and it stopped, lack of heat (cold air)
mshafiq
Sub: Unable to shutdown my PC while VLC was running

Infac6t what happened.. I was watching a movie and in Full Screen of VLC media player.
Somehow mouse got frozen. After a little while I tries to shutdown the PC but I was unable to do.
And I had to press power button for about 7 seconds to forcefully shutdown my PC.

The funny thing is that later I found by pressing 'F' key I could return to normal mode of VLC player and could gain control of windows.

PS. I love VLC media player although it is bit slower and eats too much ram.
czarulit
I've had a strange adventure with my pc. Some time ago (about this year's holidays) I couldn't afford to buy a computer case (old and faded didn't satisfy me; I prefered better cpu to having a case), so a kept "entrails" on my desk. Moving sound card or graphics card caused reboot or system crash. One day I tried to boot up my pc with screwdriver (I had neither "on" button on my motherboard nor external/portable one) and saw sparks comming out of the motherboard, probably from the north bridge, but I'm not sure. There was also some stink, similar to smell of burning. I got scared, because it's not usual. Of course pc didn't boot up. And it didn't want to for about an hour. After an hour I tried again and it booted up properly. After that a didn't have any problems with this motherboard.
jigoku05
Nothing so strange that I can't fix it.
FunDa
There was a strange virus in my computer which would keep watching what folders I'm opening.

I had a pen drive which had the setup file of an antivirus software in it. Th virus simply blocked the pen drive from being opened.

Later, after deleting the software in another computer, when I tried the same pen drive, it opened normally.

When I search online for 'antivirus' the browser window would suddenly close by itself.

I also tried renaming a folder with some documents to antivirus - the folder could not be opened when antivirus was in the name I simply renamed it back, and the folder opened.

Very very cunning virus.
djpharis
raine dragon wrote:

i also had it do that before i heard a voice and it was like a radio station but i closed all my windows and it still kept on going untill i rebooted it
speeDemon
well, there was this once when my CD drive literally chewed my cd! it finally got stuck, and when I got it out, it was in small pieces...! ohh.. i really wish i could recover that data.. but i guess theres no glue for CDs!!

other than that, ive been through many things that people probably have already mentioned here before...
soljarag
the strangest thing that happend o my computer was in college.,..

I got a 20" LCD and one day an ant somehow got in my monitor and started to crawl all over the screen... I could see it crawling all over the screen... eventually it died and got stuck RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the sceen!!! i tried everything to knock it down...

it was under waranty so.. eventually i called Dell and they replaced it
mshafiq
CPU/memory get used heavily
====================

I wonder if this is with my PC.
Here is the link I use to keep an eye on Currency (more precisely the rate of Canadian dollar against US dollar).
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/Economics/Currency.aspx?Symbol=CAD

Some times it give no trouble but some times when this page is opened it almost kills my PC.
When I opened task manager (although sometimes, it takes more than two minutes) I found either CPU or memory (or even both) are being consumed by the internet browser.
I generally kill (or sometimes force to turn off the PC) to make my PC useable for other stuff.

I wonder if some one may verify if it happens to their PC as well or if there is something wrong with that java based website.

Thanks in advance!
FunDa
speeDemon wrote:
well, there was this once when my CD drive literally chewed my cd! it finally got stuck, and when I got it out, it was in small pieces...! ohh.. i really wish i could recover that data.. but i guess theres no glue for CDs!!

other than that, ive been through many things that people probably have already mentioned here before...

I had this same problem once ... The CD just shattered into pieces while it was going to read the disk. I had to take the drive to a service centre to get it repaired. The disk din't have anything important, it was just an old CD which was not even labelled and I just wanted to check what was in it. Luckily the drive was back to perfect working condition after it was cleaned.

Now, always pray a silent prayer before feeding any important cd to a computer.
mshafiq
It happened not recently but I remembered from the word CD.

Once I started my PC and found that the CD drive holder was coming out and then going in by itself.
I was almost continuous action.

I restarted the PC but same thing.
It was happening all the time.
just for curiosity I paused the boot process at BIOS and it was doing same thing.

After bit more investigation I found that someone (my little son or daughter) poured pepsi.
Although my wife cleaned the face but probably contact was being made again and again.

Anyway, I turned OFF the PC, poured some plain water and right after it used vaccum cleaner to suck the water and you know it worked.

Thanks and Happy weekend!
EdCarlo
it get's overheat even sorroundings are cold. hehe
FunDa
Dude check the cabinet and Processor fan (U can chek the fan speed in the BIOS if you don't want to open the cabnet). Once I opened up my cabinet and forgot to plug in the fans. And I kept wondering why i t was overheating so quickly for a while till I opened it again and plugged th chassis fans back in.
mshafiq
I type '' + backspace to type '

I am facing (still facing) a strange problem with my PC (probably I should say with my Windows).
When I type " or ' it does not appear unless I type one more time and then they appear both and I have to delete extra one using back space.

It is really a trouble and can almost confirm that it is not virus.

I tried to search on internet but mostly they were talking about Windows Vista or Windows 7 (64 bit) etc. but my PC is running Windows XP Home addition on Toshiba laptop.

I would really appreciate any feed back to get it fixed.

Thanks!
imagefree
there is nothing strange than EXPLORER.EXE on my pc. However it usually happen to me that My DVD ROM accept CD but does not run it.
menino
I still have an old P2 Mitsubishi PC (yes Mitsubishi also made PC's), its an LC Apricot model.
Its quite a stange PC. I have to connect a CD-ROM as master for it to work, otherwise it wont boot up.
Well, I got this PC from my old company, as they were throwing it out, and I decided to take it and use it as a PC - the drivers for this are still difficult to get, even though I changed so many parts on it. It is supposed to also have a TV-out in-built, but that module is not there. Sad
I had upgraded it to a P2 from a celeron processor, and that sped things up.
Well, after a while, the PC started shutting down, right while I was in the middle of something important.
I later found out that this was because of the heatsink on the processor.
I tried to put the contact on the processor heatsink, and even added a few extra fans onto it, which has made it better, but every now and then it still shuts down, cools off and then starts up again.
SOOOO???
Well, since I can't use it as a proper PC, I had converted it to a download machine, where I download my torrent movies and music, and in any case, after it restarts, the torrents also continue. Laughing Even copying movies to anf fro from this PC, sometimes makes it shuts down, so its usually one movie at a time.
Sometimes I still browse on it, and then it shuts down. During winter, it shuts down much less. Very Happy
mshafiq
mshafiq wrote:
I type '' + backspace to type '

I am facing (still facing) a strange problem with my PC (probably I should say with my Windows).
When I type " or ' it does not appear unless I type one more time and then they appear both and I have to delete extra one using back space.

It is really a trouble and can almost confirm that it is not virus.

I tried to search on internet but mostly they were talking about Windows Vista or Windows 7 (64 bit) etc. but my PC is running Windows XP Home addition on Toshiba laptop.

I would really appreciate any feed back to get it fixed.

Thanks!

just found solution to this problem and could not resist to share with you all.

Start Menu | Settings | Control panel | Regional and Language Options | Langues | Detail | Settings | Remove all/any item except US under English [United States / Keyboard / US]
and choose English (United States) - US under English [United States] - US and press Apply then OK

It will take effect after restart.

Now my PC is working fine.