FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer Temp. and cooling

DjMilez
I was wondering, what typical temperature should a computer hardrive be running at?

Mine is currently 122 degrees f ._.

And I've been thinking of getting a mini desk fan and pointing it at the drive, do you think that would help cool it down?
badai
mine around 50 Celsius.
barmstonian
DjMilez wrote:
I was wondering, what typical temperature should a computer hardrive be running at?

And I've been thinking of getting a mini desk fan and pointing it at the drive, do you think that would help cool it down?

Hi DjMilez,
That doesn't seem too hot (122F = 50C).

It's good to keep things as cool as you can though. Make sure there's as much space around the drive - if there's a spare slot, move it down / up to keep a spare one in between your DVD / HD or whatever.

A chassis fan would be better than a desk fan.

Cheers,
Barmstonian
nTonio
50 is to hot, it should be something around 40. I have Maxtor drive and if pc finds out that drive exceeds 50 degree a fan that causes draught is started to bring temp below 40 Celsius. At normal work is just fine, but when it work on heavy load/copy for a longer time temp is rising to discussed 50.
DjMilez
barmstonian wrote:

A chassis fan would be better than a desk fan.

The problem is I don't really feel like paying 20$ or whatever and take apart my computer =S

Right now my temp. is 111 degrees f.

Also, SpeedFan says Fan1 has 3214 rpm, and Fan2 has 0 rpm. Maybe the other one stopped...
or maybe I don't have a second one *_*
nTonio
A desk fan sounds like joke ... I hope it was a joke ...
Go and find Arctic Fan Pro TC. It's the best 80mm fan for those kind of money. It should be something around $4. It runs on 1000 rpm.

Efficient Ventiliation
The cooling of all PC components rests on that warm air is drawn out of the housing. As a rule the power unit cannot provide a good ventilation of the housing, without its' fan running at a high number of revolutions therewith causing much noise.
An additional, temperature controlled fan like the Arctic Fan Pro TC solves this problem. The power unit fan can substantially lower its speed and thereby work more quietly. The temperature control allows the Arctic Fan Pro TC to spin just at just the right speed as the heat dissipation of the PC requires. This not only lowers noise levels, but also increases the life span of the fan.
The ventilation of the housing using two fans produces the same airflow but less than half of the noise. (5dB more is perceived as twice as loud for noise levels below 35 dB)

Technical specification:
Revs: 1000 - 2500 rpm.
Voltage: 12V, 0,13A
Air Flow: 20,2-52,5 qmpm
Weight: 78g
Noise: 10 - 23 dB
Heat Resistance: 0,29 C/W
ssthanapati
Ambient temperature plays a major part in the current temperature of ur HDD... In summers i find my PC becoming very hot whereas in winters i find it running cool... So do keep that in mind while reaching any conclusions
thetinyclam
Mine runs on a cool 105 F, and it's inside a MicroATX tower, too. This is saying that your HDD has inadequate cooling, and you need better air flow in your case. Obviously...if you have like 1 fan in your case, best to get a nice big 120mm and stuff it in there somewhere. If your motherboard is old and uses PATA cables, I suggest you buy rounded cables so your fans can push more air through the case. Otherwise if your case is tiny or you already have rounded cables, and there's very little you can do, I'd get a HDD casing that converts it to a normal 5" tray drive--they usually have good aluminum that disperses the heat, and it'll keep your HDD quite a bit cooler from that 122 F of yours.
Diablosblizz
Firstly, Speedfan is never 100% right with temperatures and fan speeds. Secondly, 50 degrees is not too bad, considering I had a computer were the hard drive was constantly running at 80 degrees. Currently, my average PC temperature is 30 degrees Celsius. Fans are cheap, and easy to install. I got a nice 21 dollar fan that fits in my system nicely, and all you do is plug it into the Molex connector (see here: http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/360sata/Molex-style-power-connector.jpg).

It cools down my system nicely. If you are worried about temperature, you could move the computer in the basement, where usually it's always colder than upstairs. If the computer is a laptop, then it's expected to be this hot. Laptops are not really built to reduce temperature, although they are built to withstand it. There isn't enough room for the laptop to circulate air, so it doesn't cool off quickly.

Please don't worry about Speedfans fan speeds, the only way to see if they are still working is to open up the case and put your hand in front (or behind) them and see if you can feel air flowing.

Good luck with your temperature problem. Smile
ForceRun
Diablosblizz wrote:
Firstly, Speedfan is never 100% right with temperatures and fan speeds. Secondly, 50 degrees is not too bad, considering I had a computer were the hard drive was constantly running at 80 degrees. Currently, my average PC temperature is 30 degrees Celsius. Fans are cheap, and easy to install. I got a nice 21 dollar fan that fits in my system nicely, and all you do is plug it into the Molex connector (see here: http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/360sata/Molex-style-power-connector.jpg).

It cools down my system nicely. If you are worried about temperature, you could move the computer in the basement, where usually it's always colder than upstairs. If the computer is a laptop, then it's expected to be this hot. Laptops are not really built to reduce temperature, although they are built to withstand it. There isn't enough room for the laptop to circulate air, so it doesn't cool off quickly.

Please don't worry about Speedfans fan speeds, the only way to see if they are still working is to open up the case and put your hand in front (or behind) them and see if you can feel air flowing.

Good luck with your temperature problem. Smile

He is right on. It is very easy to install another fan. But remember each component has it's own normal temp range. Like my CPU is fine up to 55C while my GPU is fine up to 80C+. So it matters what you hardware is rated at. Just a rule of thumb the more hardware power you have the more heat you will have. Like my system has 5 very large fans on the out side using the Antec 900 case to cool off all of my beefy hardware. While the family piece of crap Dell P4 only has one small fan.
rohaya
DjMilez wrote:

What proc do you used??.. mine is Pentium D about 61~75'C... Pentium D is hot as hell!! Evil or Very Mad .. core 2 duo is more better..
Chinmoy
it should be less than 72 degree..
julythermostats
The cooling of all PC apparatus rests on that balmy air is fatigued out of the housing. As a aphorism the ability assemblage cannot accommodate a acceptable blast of the housing, after its' fan active at a top amount of revolutions therewith causing abundant noise...

Smile
vicar013
@julythermostats : Are you talking about computers or addressing the Pope, dude?

With the 112'F drive, I'd call that max temp. I had one (Western Digital) ran that hot most of the time and it died last week, although it was about 6 yrs old and in constant use. Some 'Maxtor' drives run quite warm I've found.

You should post the other temp readings really, that would help...