FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Making it easier for noobs to post images.

ocalhoun
Since 'how to I post pictures' is such a common newbie question, why not make it easier to find the how-to thread that already exists here. How about putting a little [?] button next to the Img button?
For the little tool tip message when the mouse is over this button, have it say something like 'go to tutorial for how to post images'.

Come to think of it, similar [?] buttons could be put next to Quote, Code, List, and URL, with simple how-to threads made for each one. That would reduce the learning curve for people unfamiliar with forums.
rvec
move your mouse over them and you'll already get a small example of how to use the tags beneath the font-colour setting.
ocalhoun
True, but apparently, many of them need more than that.
GoldWyvern
Sometimes, people need to just learn things. They need to experiment and do it.

I hate when things are 'simplified' to death. It just makes the loading of said page or program all that much longer, and features are stripped to make sure people don't get a boo-boo. Smile
Genesiz
Do you mean a more complex explanation actually telling you hoe to do it rather than giving you the code. I admit that this may be useful to some new members who regularly post images incorrectly, which i will admit you do see a lot.

Although, one would hope that they would have read the TOS and FAQ after registering, but again this is something that is rarely done. But i have to agree that this could be a very useful addition to the forum.
Arnie
Don't make it easier for noobs to post pictures, because we'll end up with 1600 x 1200 Firefox promotional wallpapers at full scale in the middle of a topic.

I already saw that once, but considering the intelligence of the people who would do such a thing, they're most likely only inhibited by not knowing how to post an image.