FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IS there an Earth like planet somewhere in else

yagnyavalkya
in the universe?
Before I go into this topic I want reactions
Arseniy
I heard rumours that scientists found planets with Earth-like climate and environiment... but search took nearly 25-30 years and that planets are very-very far from our native planet.
Bikerman
Arseniy wrote:
I heard rumours that scientists found planets with Earth-like climate and environiment... but search took nearly 25-30 years and that planets are very-very far from our native planet.
I think you are a bit confused. Yes, scientists think they might have found an earth-like planet. It is 20 Light Years away (it didn't take 25-30 years to find). It is still largely speculation (we don't know what it is made of and whether there actually is any liquid water on the surface).
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-450467/Found-20-light-years-away-New-Earth.html
Arseniy
Ah, thanks for specifition, Bikerman, I was just not sure in my own words Smile And I'm to lazy for googling that facts Wink Yes, I heard about that planet and there are some other examples of Earth-like planets (like one or two more), as Discovery Science says.
bleizer
Scientist thinks that there are another galaxy or something behind the sun and planets like Earth.
Bikerman
bleizer wrote:
Scientist thinks that there are another galaxy or something behind the sun and planets like Earth.

Err...what are you talking about?
ocalhoun
bleizer wrote:

Oh, lets go around to the other side of the sun and look! Oh wait... We do that every year. Rolling Eyes

Or are you referring to the Earth 2 theory, where there is another identical Earth orbiting the sun exactly 180 degrees away, so that the two always have the sun in between them? Not impossible, but very unlikely.
{name here}
yagnyavalkya wrote:
in the universe?

If you believe in the Drake equation, there are 2.3 planets in our galaxy which have intelligent life, and are willing and able to communicate which have not destroyed themselves.

Venus and Mars are believed to have been earth-like very early in their development before a large object hit Mars and the liquid on Venus boiled off into its atmosphere.

As for planets which have the capability for life currently, there are two planets orbiting the red star Gliese 581 - Gliese 581 c and d respectively, which have the possibility to harbour life, although they are both slightly out of their habitable zones - with 581 d considered to be more likely to harbor life than 581 c.
Bikerman
{name here} wrote:
yagnyavalkya wrote:
in the universe?

If you believe in the Drake equation, there are 2.3 planets in our galaxy which have intelligent life, and are willing and able to communicate which have not destroyed themselves.
Nonsense. The Drake equation cannot be solved to anything like that degree of accuracy since it contains several terms which are, at best, simple guesswork at present.
xavax
Sice the universe is (probably) close to infinite, its likely that another 'Earth' exists, but chances are its too far away to even be observed in the lifettime of the human race.
yagnyavalkya
But when can we travel fast enough to discover all this
mattyj
In a universe the size of this, there has to be another planet like ours somewhere

will there be life there? Maybe, Intelligent life? Doubtful
ocalhoun
yagnyavalkya wrote:

Discovering 'all this' will in all probability not be a matter of traveling at all.

More likely we would construct truly huge antenna arrays in interplanetary space, and discover an Earth-like planet with these enormous telescopes. Barring the possibility of some fluke discovery of easy faster-than-light travel, we'll have the ability to detect and study such places from a distance long before we could ever hope to actually go there.
yagnyavalkya
ocalhoun wrote:
yagnyavalkya wrote:

Discovering 'all this' will in all probability not be a matter of traveling at all.

More likely we would construct truly huge antenna arrays in interplanetary space, and discover an Earth-like planet with these enormous telescopes. Barring the possibility of some fluke discovery of easy faster-than-light travel, we'll have the ability to detect and study such places from a distance long before we could ever hope to actually go there.

What are the chances of the fluke discovery of faster than light travel
Agent ME
ocalhoun wrote:
bleizer wrote:

Oh, lets go around to the other side of the sun and look! Oh wait... We do that every year. Rolling Eyes

Or are you referring to the Earth 2 theory, where there is another identical Earth orbiting the sun exactly 180 degrees away, so that the two always have the sun in between them? Not impossible, but very unlikely.

These posts made my day XD Half the awesomeness would just be seeing how the world media and such took the news.

yagnyavalkya wrote:
What are the chances of the fluke discovery of faster than light travel

That's not something you can really calculate the chances of - hence it would be a fluke of a discovery.
ocalhoun
Agent ME wrote:

That's not something you can really calculate the chances of - hence it would be a fluke of a discovery.

Well, one way to calculate chances of things like that has been invented: science stocks (is that what they're called?). Basically, you let a lot of people place wagers on if something will happen or not (within a specific time frame). You could get a rough estimate of how likely it is based on the amount of money bet for each side (adjusted for odds). I don't think that system has been around long enough to really tell how accurate it is yet though.
Quincunxian
I've always thought that it depended on the distance of any particular planet from its sun.
For an Earth like planet you would have to have a temperature range that would support liquid water and a planetary mass that would allow an atmosphere to remain stable enough for life to form.
Our sun is listed as a yellow dwarf on the HR diagram and these are the very common stars in our galaxy so it is possible that there is another planet that has ( within a broad range ) the same conditions if....
It has the right mass to have a stable atmosphere.
It is located within the habitable zone for the temperature and size of its parent star.

I remember reading once ( and I think it was from Carl Sagon ) that unless you believe that life sprang up simultaneously across the universe, it must have started in one place at one point in time.
Why couldn't that be here ? - I have to admit it made me really think about it for a long time!
ocalhoun
Quincunxian wrote:

Why couldn't that be here ?

Mainly because the universe is so old. The Earth's situation doesn't seem to be quite so unique that similarly life-friendly places wouldn't have been likely to already exist somewhere within the billions of years and billions(?) of other stars. When you think of how tiny we are compared to the huge expanse of the rest of the universe in both space and time, the probability of us being unique or the first of anything seems extremely low.
metalfreek
I am sure that there is a planet like earth.
ocalhoun
metalfreek wrote:
I am sure that there is a planet like earth.

Any reasoning there, or just psychic intuition?
vineeth
We are here, this taken as granted. But we do not know why and how we are here. According to present scientific explanations, if the universe is evolved via a big bang, there are good chances for other planets like earth with life form.

But we just can believe so as we do not have any evidence for this.
_AVG_
Somewhere in the Universe, there could be a planet similar to us with lifeforms, a similar climate.

The questions that arise are - will there be intelligent life?
How do we communicate with them? Where are they??

In our Solar System, I think Ganymede is capable of supporting Extra Terrestial life. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm unsure on this.

Now, talking about traveling faster than the speed of light ... can it ever happen? According to Special Relativity, isn't the speed of light the limit? Doesn't one go into the past if one travels faster than the speed of light? What did Einstein say?
Bikerman
_AVG_ wrote:
Somewhere in the Universe, there could be a planet similar to us with lifeforms, a similar climate.

The questions that arise are - will there be intelligent life?
How do we communicate with them? Where are they??

In our Solar System, I think Ganymede is capable of supporting Extra Terrestial life. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm unsure on this.
Ganymede (moon of Jupiter) is a distinct possibility. It is thought to have salt-water oceans which is a very good starting point. The other main possibility in our Solar System is Europa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganymede_(moon)
Quote:
Now, talking about traveling faster than the speed of light ... can it ever happen? According to Special Relativity, isn't the speed of light the limit? Doesn't one go into the past if one travels faster than the speed of light? What did Einstein say?
Einstein's Special Relativity basically says that nothing 'massive' can travel at the speed of light (c). As you approach c then the relativistic mass of a body increases until, at c, it is infinite. If one could travel at velocity > c then, yes, you would theoretically move through time backwards (relative to an observer).
Jinx
Can't go faster than light without getting a reality ticket from the physics police, but what about other forms of travel that would appear to be FTL?

Like warping space Star-Trek Style, or crossing from one point in space to another without actually having traveled through the intervening space via wormholes or "wrinkles". Or maybe someday we might discover a way of using the tightly curled hyper-dementions theorized by (is it String Theory, or M-brane Theory? I forget) to exit, and then return to, our familiar 3-d universe at a different point from where we left. All unlikely, but who knows what the egg-heads of the 22nd century might come up with.

Who knows if we will ever find a life supporting planet other than our own, but just the search for them has already improved our understanding of the way the cosmos works. For example, a number of the extra-Solar planets that have been found have been gas giants orbiting their suns far closer than was previously thought possible. This has forced astronomers to re-think their ideas on how solar systems form.
metalfreek
I have some reason to say this. There are about 10^11 galexies and each galexy has about 10^11 stars. So you can imagine the scale of known Universe ( We really don't know how big is the universe ). So in such a vastness of Universe we will certainly find a solar system like ours and a planet like earth as well. So I think that there is a Planet like earth somewhere still waiting to be found by Hubble or Telescope like that.
paskifire
whenever I hear news about planets and life beyond earth, i can't keep myself from drooling. I hope there's an earth-like planet.
welshsteve
Of course there are. It would be extremely arrogant and naive of us to think otherwise. We'll never find out in our lifetime though, and the way the human race is destroying itself, unless something changes, the human race will never travel beyond our own solar system.
Nolt
In year 4000+ we will visit this planet Smile and populate it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-450467/Found-20-light-years-away-New-Earth.html
snowboardalliance
welshsteve wrote:
Of course there are. It would be extremely arrogant and naive of us to think otherwise. We'll never find out in our lifetime though, and the way the human race is destroying itself, unless something changes, the human race will never travel beyond our own solar system.

Maybe there are other planets, but the possibility of other life that we can find is very slim. For instance the SETI project is looking for other life that transmits radio waves. Think about how long life has existed on Earth, then how long people have existed here, then how long it's been since the industrial revolution, then computers....it's exponential. Why is that significant? Well the chances of finding another life form that a) uses radio waves and b) is at the right pin point of its history makes the otherwise large possibility of life on other planets an extremely small probability of finding it. I mean we are looking for life in 4 Dimensions, time is important too (not just time to look, but how long life has existed on a planet).

I think that there are very few, if any, other planets at this point in time with life using radio waves.
Kopernikus
Im still laughing at the "proof" in the Hitch-Hikers-Guide that the univers is empty of life... Very Happy
pscompanies
LOL
chiragpatnaik
snowboardalliance wrote:
welshsteve wrote:

Maybe there are other planets, but the possibility of other life that we can find is very slim. For instance the SETI project is looking for other life that transmits radio waves. Think about how long life has existed on Earth, then how long people have existed here, then how long it's been since the industrial revolution, then computers....it's exponential. Why is that significant? Well the chances of finding another life form that a) uses radio waves and b) is at the right pin point of its history makes the otherwise large possibility of life on other planets an extremely small probability of finding it. I mean we are looking for life in 4 Dimensions, time is important too (not just time to look, but how long life has existed on a planet).

I think that there are very few, if any, other planets at this point in time with life using radio waves.

even if there are... if they are far enough, by the time the radio waves reach us human civilisation may not exist or has moved to another planet... if you get my drift...
SunD3R
Actually i saw in a documentary that one of Saturn's moons, Titan to be exact (second largest moon in our solar system), looked extremely similar to earth. Okay here is the interesting part from http://www.solarviews.com:

Although Titan is classified as a moon, it is larger than the planets Mercury and Pluto. It has a planet-like atmosphere which is more dense than those of Mercury, Earth, Mars and Pluto. The atmospheric pressure near the surface is about 1.6 bars, 60 percent greater than Earth's. Titan's air is predominantly made up of nitrogen with other hydrocarbon elements which give Titan its orange hue. These hydrocarbon rich elements are the building blocks for amino acids necessary for the formation of life. Scientists believe that Titan's environment may be similar to that of the Earth's before life began putting oxygen into the atmosphere.

Titan's surface temperature appears to be about -178C (-289F). Methane appears to be below its saturation pressure near Titan's surface; rivers and lakes of methane probably don't exist, in spite of the tantalizing analogy to water on Earth. On the other hand, scientists believe lakes of ethane exist that contain dissolved methane. Titan's methane, through continuing photochemistry, is converted to ethane, acetylene, ethylene, and (when combined with nitrogen) hydrogen cyanide. The last is an especially important molecule; it is a building block of amino acids.
Chinmoy
well, chances are good, but the exact conditions might be very difficult to find. Some of them already exist, considering you drop some of the environmental variables from earth.
chatrack
There may be plants like our earth. How to communicate with them is important. Speed of light is not enough for such communication Rolling Eyes
recked
I would think so, but there is no way in our power we could be able to reach them. C'mon, you seriously think we are the only living organisms out there?
D'Artagnan
Bikerman wrote:
Arseniy wrote:
I think you are a bit confused. Yes, scientists think they might have found an earth-like planet. It is 20 Light Years away (it didn't take 25-30 years to find). It is still largely speculation (we don't know what it is made of and whether there actually is any liquid water on the surface).

i find earth-like and misleading, when scientist say that people think, rivers, mountains, seas animals and plants. What they are talking about is size composition and proximity to its star.

Although i find really amazing the methods used to find this planets
welshsteve
Even if we did find a planet that seems to have all the (known) conditions for carbon based life to exist, it will be hundreds if not thousands of years until humans have the capability of visiting. That is if the human race hasn't destroyed itself by then
dapopeyoh
I don't think there is an earth like planet out there. Some planets might have some of earth-like features, but none of them are capable of supporting human life yet.
menino
Some time ago, last year, a group of scientists (I'm not sure if they were astronomers), did find a planet like Earth, which had a lot of features to make it habitable for us humans..... but yeah, its like a billion light years away, and would probably take us more than 40 years I belive to reach there.

I will have to dig up that news somewhere; although I did read it from a local newspaper.