FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Obama - the truth part 2

myleshi
CHANGE: From a secular upbringing, to joining Trinity Church, then quitting the church

Barack described his parents as "secular", though the LA Times found that he was registered as a Muslim at his childhood schools. His mother was an atheist, and his father was a "non-practicing" Muslim.

At the age of 30, Obama joined the highly controversial Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago.

On the cusp of becoming the Democratic nominee, Obama and his wife "resigned" from their church.
See: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/bal-te.obama16mar16,1,7181735,full.story

CHANGE: From a non-commital bystander to an outspoken opponent of the Iraq war:

July '04, Barack Obama in terms of how he would have voted on the war: “I’m not privy to Senate intelligence reports. What would I have done? I don’t know.” (He wasn't in the US Senate yet, and didn't have a vote.)
See: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2007/11/obama-speak.html

Also in '04, on the proposition of war:

“There’s not much of a difference between my position on Iraq and George Bush’s position at this stage.” - Barack Obama

His excuse in 2008? "...it probably was the wrong time for me to be making a strong case against our party’s nominees’ decisions when it came to Iraq." (John Kerry supported the war)
See:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2007/11/obama-speak.html

Wow, I feel the change already Laughing

More later...
Bikerman
It seems to me that the above quotes are partial and selective. Reading the complete transcripts (which are provided on the same reference site) gives a different picture.
(I have no particular axe to grind since I'm not a US voter).
liljp617
"the truth" lol...you're getting to the same point as 9/11 "truthers." How does one self proclaim to be telling the truth when all you did was find quotes, take them out of context, chop them up, twist words to fit your view, etc. with the sole intentions of construing Obama's image? That's pretty far from the truth. That can be done with any candidate, even lovely, perfect McCain. Give it up, or at least defend your position in the past threads you've made before spamming away more random stuff that you happen to come across and think "wow that would make great propaganda."

Bikerman wrote:
It seems to me that the above quotes are partial and selective. Reading the complete transcripts (which are provided on the same reference site) gives a different picture.
(I have no particular axe to grind since I'm not a US voter).

Please do some axe grinding.
LumberJack
Sometimes I wonder if some Americans really have their priorities straight. :S
Bikerman
liljp617 wrote:
Please do some axe grinding.

Well OK.
1) On religion. The thrust of the criticism seems to be that Obama is ambivalent about religion. As the LA Times article says in the tag-line
Quote:
At the local primary school, he prayed in thanks to a Catholic saint. In the neighborhood mosque, he bowed to Allah.
Well, call me naive if you like, but why is that surprising? Our politicians frequently make such visits - you could call it respect for other religious traditions, or you could be more cynical and call it vote gathering. Either way I don't think it is much of an issue.

2) On the Iraq war. The thrust of the criticism here seems to be that he has changed from non-committal to outspoken opponent. Well, even if true, this would hardly be damning - he would simply be in line with a lot of other Americans. It isn't really true though when you read through the articles. He gave a speech opposing the war in 2002 I believe. Reading through the various sources it seems to me that he was indeed opposed to the war but, at times, was less forceful in putting his views across when he was speaking to certain audiences. Well, again, call me naive if you like, but that is what politicians DO. You don't give the same speach to the NRA that you would give to the Mother's Union do you?

This really seems to me to be 'much ado about nothing'.