FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GDDR3

KHO
I was looking at building a new computer recently, I've been "out of the loop" on a lot of the new hardware stuff for about a year, and I noticed the new GDDR3, I've never thought of compatibility issues on my graphics cards before because I used just plain old GDDR. I can't find anything on any of the motherboard specs that seems to give me reason to believe that this new kind of card memory GDDR3 will or will not work.

My assumption is that the GDDR3 will run as its own and as long as its in the PCI-E slot then all will be well, but knowing that the motherboard im looking at supports only up to DDR2 type RAM I don't want to have to get these nice new video cards and have them running too hot because they run at a higher voltage due to incompatibility.

So my basic question is, will my motherboard with PCI-E slots supporting DDR2 type RAM be able to support a GDDR3 type graphics card without forcing it to operate at GDDR2?
Helios
I think it would work. As long as the card is connected through PCI-E, and your PSU can supply the juice, there's no reason for it not to work.

A thing to think about though is bottleneck. You need to ensure that your other hardware won't slow the graphics processing down.

Anyway, what's your motherboard?
KHO
Well I haven't bought the mobo yet is the thing, thats why I would like to ensure that the graphics card wont be forced to slow down or anything. The one im looking at is the EVGA nforce 780i SLI Motherboard Link on compusa
KHO
I've deduced that all should be well installing GDDR3 memory on this MOBO. I read carefully the MOBO's page on compusa and it said it supported the 8800GTX card for tri-sli, that card is GDDR3. Ty for your help though.
william
Yeah, don't worry. GDDR3 really has nothing to do with the motherboard. It's a part of the graphics card, so it's serparate from the main board. (fyi, I have GDDR3 running on an old AGP board with no problems). GDDR3, I think makes up at least 3/4 of the dedicated GPU market. You could even run a GDDR5 Radeon 4870 on that without a hitch.

But on a side note, are you getting SLI? Just saying because if you aren't, you would be better off in getting an Intel board, rather than an nVidia board.
KHO
Ya, running a tri-sli set up actually. 3x the XFX 9800 GTX
psycosquirrel
william wrote:
Yeah, don't worry. GDDR3 really has nothing to do with the motherboard. It's a part of the graphics card, so it's serparate from the main board. (fyi, I have GDDR3 running on an old AGP board with no problems). GDDR3, I think makes up at least 3/4 of the dedicated GPU market. You could even run a GDDR5 Radeon 4870 on that without a hitch.

But on a side note, are you getting SLI? Just saying because if you aren't, you would be better off in getting an Intel board, rather than an nVidia board.

^What he said!

The GDDR is independent of the motherboard. If the video card has a PCI-E interface, and you have a PCI-E slot on your motherboard, you're fine.