FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

which is better BluRay or Digital Multilayer Disk?

which is better BluRay or Digital Multilayer Disk?
Digital Multilayer Disk
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
BluRay
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

gonzo
Digital Multilayer Disk
http://www.ddatainc.com/

DMD is the offshoot of FMD (Fluorescent Multi-layer disc)

FMDs were originally designed in 2000 to hold 100 gigs of information!!

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Quote:
A company called Constellation 3D had developed a technology by which data could be recorded on up to 20 layers in a disk. Instead of using a reflective surface, the FMD technology used a disk that can appear transparent to the human eye. It used layers of fluorescent dyes. This technology was also red-laser based and thus compatible with the legacy CD/DVD media.

BluRay is the iPod of optical storage: marketing hype and hardly the best option.

BluRay stores only an "amazing" 25 gigs. pffff! boo

What do you think?

Actually there's a third viable option: Holographic -- Spatial Light Modulator

http://www.inphase-technologies.com/

Quote:
InPhase Smashes the Optical Density Record with 200 Gb per sq. inch

Those SLM is likely not going to be available for SoHo use for another year or two
Monkeydog
BluRay,why?
Sony supports BluRay a lot(originally everything on the PS2 was going to be a BluRay disc,the PS3 may do this)
even if the other one is better doesn't mean jack if big companys like Sony don't support it.
Kinda like Beta vs VHS >.>
gonzo
Have you ever heard of Bell Labs?

orno
kinda forgot to mention HD-DVD?

the current "war" is between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, so thats what the options of this poll should be
gonzo
orno wrote:
kinda forgot to mention HD-DVD?

the current "war" is between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD

WHY? Sure those two SMALL storage formats can compete but NEITHER of those comes close to InPhase or FMD 100+ gig storage!!
orno
coz blu-ray and HD are the 2 technologies closest to being deployed on a mass scale...

agreed they are "small", but when we finally get around to commercially using InPhase or FMD or whatever, then we can talk about which is better
gonzo
orno wrote:
agreed they are "small", but when we finally get around to commercially using InPhase or FMD or whatever, then we can talk about which is better

hey start your own poll on "which of these will be available first" Wink

Cool
FireFoxDB
Sure they all got more storage then the dvd but there slow. so if you have san andreas ( Example Game ) on pc it will run more smoothlyer on a dvd then on blu-ray and the loading times would be doubled or even multiplyed.
bekoeppel
i think its blueray, but i wont buy one of the first bluray-players
falconfx
I have never heard of it. Confused

Anyway, I voted for it because I don't like Sony. It sells product at very high prices... Rolling Eyes
godam64
i'll choose the cheapest one. for now the cheapest cd-r here is about 10 cents, and dvd-r is 50 cents. i can even get discount if i buy a lot of them Razz ...

for now dvd media is enough for whole the backup stuff. and cd usually used to exchage with others, better & cheaper than diskettes.

i hope bluray or what ever will be cheap in the next 2 years (2007). than i can stock up the whole mp3 collections in a single disc Very Happy i'll be waiting!
gonzo
FireFoxDB wrote:
Sure they all got more storage then the dvd but there slow.

They? To which format do you refer?