FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

foobar or winamp?

which do you use MORE often?
FooBar
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Winamp
66%
 66%  [ 40 ]
Neither. I'm deaf.
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 60

gonzo
Which do you use more often? I have FooBar on USB key so I can easily fetch music from my collection. I have winamp installed but I find myself using foobar more often. I very rarely bother with visualizations: music is not a visual experience. Confused

http://winamp.com

http://www.foobar2000.org/

* I use the 'special' foobar package

Sure there are a myriad of other players but I'm only interested in these two now

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
orno
me use winamp all the time

never really got around to liking foobar...even using foobar for that matter

P.S Shdnt this be in the Computer Software/Hardware section?
gonzo
nahh I think it's more a general survey than something technical
budazz
hmmm what is the difference between the two?... Very Happy
gonzo
budazz wrote:
hmmm what is the difference between the two?... Very Happy

compare
carlokes
hummm.... i've never tried foobar before....actually i didn't hear about it before...maybe i'll give it a try and see how it is.
budazz
mybe i should try it ....: )
Thug
I always use Winamp, never heard of Foobar before.
boringest
tell us the pros and cons man..does it use less resources than winamp?

i personally use WMP most of the time since their equalizer's better IMHO.
zrule
foobar? I never heard of it. like a mp3 play software.
Im always using winamp and windows media. Wink
snowboardalliance
I've only used winamp out of those. I have winamp that I use, then realplayer and quicktime just for things like browser integration and things winamp doesn't play.
ulmas
Heh! It seems I am the second person after gonzo who uses foobar here! Most people didn't even heard of it unfortunately.

gonzo wrote:
..music is not a visual experience..

That's true! that is why I don't even have that much skins for my QMP.

I lost interest in winamp long time ago when I discovered QMP for myself (the website seems to ne offline now Confused), which has lots of advantages compared to winamp.

BTW gonzo, I still can't get how to control volume in foobar2000. How do you control it? Is there a convenient component for this or what?

Really, foobar2000 is for advanced users (no offence fellas!), giving you the functions you really need to have music: playback plugins! and a simple dsp plugin. Even the volume control is taken far over from your mouse into options, so that you are not disturbed listening your favorites tunes by clicking on the volume slider.. Nothing fancy! no flashing, no any animation, except for the progress slider Twisted Evil
Jack_Hammer
Quote:
Neither. I'm deaf.
11%
11% [ 1 ]

Am I the only one that uses neither? (BTW I'm not deaf, lol)[/quote]
dark_paladin
I have been using winamp for some years now, and I have no intention to switch to another program.
MistaKiula
They're both not the best thing in the world for me lol. I need a new computer.
Monkeydog
Winamp ever since I upgraded it so now it can finally play the few WMA files I have >.>
I never heard of Winamp but I don't care much Winamp is fine.I used to always use WMP but ever since I upgraded winamp I find it nice that I don't have to have it open to listen to it(cause it can stay in the system tray) =D
Alienz
Never heard of FooBar before. I have been using Winamp all the while. Maybe I will try FooBar Cool
Fireman Joe
well, ive heard of foobar, but i'm quite content with winamp, so i won't change any time soon. winamp seems to be the best for plugins, and it's compatible with almost everything so its all good. Smile
kuad
Like Fireman Joe, I don't really have any reason to change to foobar, Winamp has been doing just fine for me for many years.
chirag
winamp
mohamed
both programs are rather slow to execute due to the sizes. I always go for the fastest loading alternatives.
myrevolt
As I hadn't had much use, I used WMP, but then tried winamp, though it kept crashing. usually if i don't feel like playing a cd, i just turn on the radio Razz and yea as others mentioned on slow systems (*cough* PIII's w/ 128mb of RAM *cough*), they use up too many precious resources. customization is nice, but sometimes its pointless. try to use window blinds on a old system to get it to look like a mac (or w/e) is pointless cause it makes the system unstable....but w/e do as you please.
devadutta
I tried foobar, did not like it. So i use winamp
falconfx
I almost use Windows Media Player but also WinAMP, especially the new version that supports the video playing. Wink
wsxiaoys
I like winamp
I like its skins Razz
kingy
foorbar i prefer....
Phil
Foobar Here.
I used winamp, and did like it, but for some reason I had trouble with the interface. And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to pay for the latest version to rip CDs as MP3's? Foobar is still free.
I'm still playing around with all the plugins available, there seems to be quite a few. And, one thing that always appeals to me with any program is fan-support, that is, support and input given by the user-base. Foobar has a
pretty good fan-support base.
One other plus for me is the Database with Foobar, which I perfer.
Also..... Gonzo, did you say you CAN transfer through a USB port with Foobar? I want to get an MP3 player in the near future and was wondering if it was possible with foobar.
Zibé
Foobar of course Smile
this the best player for sound quality,
it use all the power of your sound card ^^
tony
I've used winamp ever since I realized how terrible windows media player is. I do not know much about foobar - is the sound quality noticeably better than winamps?
Dimaod
I am using Quintesential and JetAudio....
I was using Winamp its good to...
But i am tired of it....
And started to search some other soft...
shwetanshu
Winamp, nvr used anything else
bigdan
Winamp all the way! Very Happy
thetangentstrain
Winamp all the way, awesome sound output...awesome library setup....all round awesome software!

Smile
Ivanov
I have used foobar and Winamp. I think the sound quality is the same, but I like Winamp, cause is easy to use and has enhanced search options. It`s difficult for me to config all foobar plugins.
Bashur
Neather, I'm deaf.

Kinda, my soundcard doesn't work at the moment, so it's not really a lie. *laughs*
matjash
I never tried foobar, is it worthy? So far the best mp3 player for me was winamp 2,76.
guitarstud101
Windows Media Player has always worked just fine for me (why install more programs on your computer when you've already bought an operating system that includes fundamentally the same software, right?)
seanooi
i've been using winamp since version 2 was out, so i think i would still stick to winamp, not really interested in exploring new players. I think one that works well is enough for me already, ahahaha...... Laughing
coolclay
I love Winamp, it has so many features, extensions and tons of awesome visualizations. The thing I like most about it is all the hundreds of free internet radio channels. I only have a 20 gb harddrive so I don't feel like filling up all my precious hard drive space with songs. So I just listen to the internet radio, it works great there are hardly any commercials, and you have almost unlimited songs, without the need of hard drive space.
greekcovers
What is foobar ? I always use winamp. Very Happy
krazeek
foobar seems to make an annoying sound when i have more than 2 programs running. winamp all the way for me though.
ignition
I hate the newer versions of winamp (like Winamp 5) because they take forever to load and use so much memory, and I also hate foobar because it is way to plain and ugly. If I wanted an ugly looking player, I'd use media player classic - even that doesn't look quite as bad as foobar.

The best media player though IMO is Winamp 2.9 - It is the last version that came before the huge, memory hogging winamp 3, yet it supports so many different types of media files, there are so many good skins for it, and it uses so little memory. It starts up literally the instant I double click a music file...no more waiting for 10 seconds or so for some program to boot up just because you want your media player to look beautiful.

The custom skins on Winamp 2 work fine enough. For a tiny, fast, skinnable player, Winamp 2.9 is the best.
Dragonfly
I have been using winamp for a long time and couldn't think of any matching stuff to winamp. I'm seeing foobar for the first time and their website itself puts me off.... no skins to preview, and the site isn't very userfriendly. No graphics..
meangurl
i've never heard of foobar so i guess i'd rather go for winamp.. but yet, i'm a loyal windows media user..
the666bbq
never used foobar myself ... but this might be one of those tips you are glad to receive... best way to find out is to try it out no Wink
Jeff_vella_leone
man surly winamp is much better for updated and info on the music and not only visualisation it can realy modify the sod how u want and how u prefair its really the best player u can get
it has many skins u would like and other ammasing things like riping music too it cool
it has internet radio too and television it real cool ther r games videos trailers etc even music adv and all u can immagine
the only disadvantage it has is that if u have a slow pc it lags if u play a game or do something else while playing winamp but for the rest is perfect
i hope that helps u man
erlendhg
What IS foobar?????

I have never heard about it....

Anyway. I think WINAMP RUUUULES!!!!!! Razz
naz
One oft the best Player is IMHO Billy:

Description
Billy is a lightweighted no nonsense audio player that allows you to quickly play an entire directory of MP3 files.

Features
Freeware (no adware)
Runs on Win 95/98/NT/Me/2000/XP/2003
No skins, no mp3 tags, no equalizer, no nonsense - pure audio
Supported formats: MP3, WAV, OGG
High quality sound engine, by Un4seen Bass
Extremely fast, loads 1000 mp3 files in a second
Gapless trackchange of mp3 files
Directory based or playlist based
Filenames renamer to organize your music albums
Calibrated dB level meter
100% controllable by keyboard
Low memory and cpu usage
Queueing your next songs
Find a specific song quickly
Sleep timer
Drag & drop

Info
Billy is an audio player that allows you to quickly play an entire directory of MP3 files. It can usually load files 2 to 8 times faster than winamp or media player. Billy plays music albums without any gaps between tracks, so an overlapping applause or beat will continue. The player is 100% controllable by keyboard and its easy finder and special rename functions help you to find and organize your files quickly.

Download: http://www.sheepfriends.com/?page=billy
psycosquirrel
Niether.

I use Windows Media Player because Winamp has errors... I have not heard of Foobar, I will go look at it...
Pixel
zrule wrote:
foobar? I never heard of it.

me niether ;D
Winamp to the people!
SNES350
Foobar more often, but I use iTunes for my music Razz
namduyledung
it's very good.I wan't this
gonzo
mohamed wrote:
both programs are rather slow to execute.

Foobar is NOT slow loading. What processor are you suffering with today?

Wink

guitarstud101 wrote:
Windows Media Player ...an operating system that includes fundamentally the same software, right?)

Windows, unlike most linux distros, does NOT come will most of the software you'll need. But that's another discussion entirely.

Why not WMP? Oh, gee, I dunno, could it be the frequent code execution exploits from within media content?

naz wrote:
One oft the best Player is IMHO Billy:

neat. but can I run it on a system without having to install it?

coolclay wrote:
tons of awesome visualizations.

What's your favorite visualization sound like??
jcvincent
quintessential is much better than these two.
kikass
foobar is the best i have used.... earlier i used winamp for something like 4-5 year straight. around 3 months back i converted my entire mp3 collection to AAC (life is easier this way coz of my ipod and k750i).. playback in winamp was so pathetic after that! there is a kind of high pitch flanging / vibration in all songs... and further there is no good m4a tagging support! so while lookin for a new player i came across foobar! what a piece of software! its everything anybody can ask for.... totally customizable.. (though it did take me around 3 days to configure the way it behaved and looked).. now it simply rockz!

check it out...

i have seen much better playlist views but too complex for me for now... still tryin Smile
nox-Hand
I dont use Foobar OR WinAmp - I use XMMS - A Linux WinAmp Clone Very Happy

Yay for Linux! <3
guissmo
WinAmp is good. Has all the options I need and supports mostly everything.
Shiva
Well I'm very satisfied with windows media player..

But if i HAVE to choose.. I'll choose winamp, no doubt about that...

But in my oppinion the media player is the best and easiest to use..

//Shiva
tiscali
gonzo wrote:
Which do you use more often? I have FooBar on USB key so I can easily fetch music from my collection. I have winamp installed but I find myself using foobar more often. I very rarely bother with visualizations: music is not a visual experience. Confused

http://winamp.com

http://www.foobar2000.org/

* I use the 'special' foobar package

Sure there are a myriad of other players but I'm only interested in these two now

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

I use always Winamp..
konflikt
ignition wrote:

The best media player though IMO is Winamp 2.9 - It is the last version that came before the huge, memory hogging winamp 3, yet it supports so many different types of media files, there are so many good skins for it, and it uses so little memory.

'Nuff said. Winamp 2.9 is the sh*t. Combined with AdaptX 3.5 and the BBE Sonic Maximizer plugin(+/-$99), this is THE best setup in terms of sound quality. BBE works wonders on MP3s(or any audio source, for that matter), it brings the life back into the sound that was lost in the encoding process. Even makes CDs sound better! Store-bought CDs, not the "Memorex" collection from the Internet Smile (well, those too!)
MDCNK
Winamp all the way for me I've been using winamp for what...about 10 years now or something I tried foobar one day and it was just a little too basic for me, I use Winamp 5 right now just the lastest version and I dont install all the unnecessary crap like video support and stuff I've got other programs for that you know.

There's nothing wrong with foobar either, I'm just used to Winamp so why change right?
Ducksteina
After using winamp for a long time, I switched over to iTunes. Why? Because of the intelligent playlists. There are so many useful playlists you can create - like best of with your best rated tracks, music you haven't listened to yet or just anything else you could imagine.
iTunes rules!
bulek
I'm using WinAmp since the second version and I must confess that I didn't found any better program than this one is. It's very simply to use and it doesen't take so much system resources as some other programs do. There are also a lot of plugins and skins for WinAmp.
kung_fu_stu
gotta be winamp all the way

it's really just because I'm used to it
shwetanshu
I use Winamp but i m bored of it so thinking of giving a Fobar a try!
tlambert
I never heard of foobar Shocked

Hence I'm a winamp user, but lately I switched to iTunes (with the iScrobbler package from last.fm).

Any more last.fm users around over here?
anathema
Winamp for ever!
iTunes is a very good program only if you have an ipod :p
corey
ulmas wrote:
Heh! It seems I am the second person after gonzo who uses foobar here! Most people didn't even heard of it unfortunately.

gonzo wrote:
..music is not a visual experience..

That's true! that is why I don't even have that much skins for my QMP.

I lost interest in winamp long time ago when I discovered QMP for myself (the website seems to ne offline now Confused), which has lots of advantages compared to winamp.

BTW gonzo, I still can't get how to control volume in foobar2000. How do you control it? Is there a convenient component for this or what?

Really, foobar2000 is for advanced users (no offence fellas!), giving you the functions you really need to have music: playback plugins! and a simple dsp plugin. Even the volume control is taken far over from your mouse into options, so that you are not disturbed listening your favorites tunes by clicking on the volume slider.. Nothing fancy! no flashing, no any animation, except for the progress slider Twisted Evil
Just a little note, as there are a few people who, like me, realize that Quintessential sounds better than other players (yes, better than Winamp, IMO) and has better input plugins. The website is still active, but its not the one in this post. The player can be found where it always has been found (as well as www.quintessential.com): http://www.quinnware.com/
kansloos
I using XMMS for Linux.
But thatś pretty much the same :P
nondormo
I like WinAmp. FooBar is still raw for my taste.
SGbilder
Lika some guys I never have heard about foobar.. but Winamp..!! yeaa used it for so long that I can remember.
dotnet
I vote for foobar! It has definitely more clear sound in comparison with Winamp.
angel_of_death
nvr heard of foobar b4 Very Happy
jackill
kikass wrote:

Whats this widnows style?
driftingfe3s
I hated winamp for a long time for some reason. It was the first mp3 player I got and I searched for another one right away. I started to use Sonique and Sonique 2 back in the day when it was still being developed on. Now I use foobar.
bulek
I'm using Winamp since the first version and I don't think I will change my favourite program for MP3's. It's very easy to use and it is has low-memory usage.
carlospro7
I've never used foobar so i have no place to say that foobar sucks or anything like, but I have used winamp and I like it.
Sava
foobar? what is that Very Happy?

Winamp rulz Very Happy
angel_of_death
hav most of u ppl ecr evn heard of foobar???
DaveIsHere
I know this topic is rather old, but Google showed it in the first few results.

I use both and each have their own merits. As far as the default for music playback, it's Winamp all the way. Foobar stays around since it can help with some file conversions.

The other thing is the Winamp forum is generally friendly. On the other hand the Foobar forum is like shark-infested waters where their congregates snap at anything that is not their own.

Voted Winamp.
menino
winamp all the way baby. It has lots of features, is light, and has loads of plug-ins.