FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Photography

justtj
Was wondering how many people here are into Photography or Art..
Do mention what cameras, lenses you use along with link to your work..
Smile

I am a canon user, 400D, 18-55mm and 55-250mm..
http://flickr.com/justtj
taskendo
I have D50 and D1x and several cheap lenses^^
bvonb
i'm a photographer in oklahoma. i shoot with a Sony DSLR, included lens only. I love it though ALOT! www.myspace.com/brandirenee1024 is my myspace to check some stuff out Very Happy
TandDoubleu
I have a video camera that i use to video tape lots of thing in my city. ive been tapeing for 10 years and have about 80 tapes
driftingfe3s
I love photography. I also have a D50, with two cheapo lenses. I really want a new ultra-wide lens, hopefully if I can fit a job into my fall schedule I'll be able to get one soonish.

My photoblog -- http://photo.nathanchan.frih.net
PennyLane
I use a Canon Eos 450D, included lens only... I really love to make pictures. I make a lot of them. Some are bad, but most are quite good Wink
Futumuch
I have an Olympus E510. I am a complete beginner though. The camera was recommended to me by a professional as a good beginner camera. My only problem with it is the price and choice of lenses - there doesnt seem to be much choice. But saying that I got 2 with it that will be ok for now.
lethaltriad
Finally a topic for me Very Happy I'm a professional photographer here in Jamaica. I use mainly canon cameras.. the EOS 5D, 40D and 350D which i dont use anymore. Lens i own are the 16-35mm F2.8L II + 24-70mm F2.8L + 70-200mm F2.8L IS and the 60mm F2.8

in terms of strobes i use a 4 light White Lightning kit with modifiers like umbrellas, beauty dishes, softboxes and some of them gridded Very Happy

My website is at http://www.ryansphotography.com/
BigBangFan
I am a big photography buff - have been for well over 30 years. I am currently shooting digital with a Canon S3 IS - mainly because I don't have $10,000 for what I want. I have a Canon A1 that I have been using for 28 years along with a Canon 85mm f/1.2L, Canon 80-200mm f/4L, Kiron 28mm f/2, Canon 50mm f/1.8 and a Sigma 400mm f/5.6. I like to do a lot of wildlife and landscape photography but lately have been doing a lot of middle school and Little League baseball.
Shewolf
I've been more or less into photography for a while, but is still not much more than a beginner.
Most of the time I shoot with a Pentax K10D DSLR, with a kit lens, which is mine. Along with that I get to borrow a Pentax 100mm f/4 macro and a 28-88mm from time to time.
I'm really looking forward to have enough money to buy a good 50mm and 35mm, since that are the focal lengths I use instinctively anyway.

I've a photoblog , just for the fun of it. It has not been updated the last couple of weeks, thanks to some connection problems. But it's there.
Crinoid
Into photography: professionally or as a part of a hobby, tool for a hobby?

After stopping using STL optical cameras with lenses, and trying 6 lower end digital cameras, I'm sticking with old point-and-shoot Pentax Optio 30, the newer model gives no such quality.
As long as it serves the purpose, it's good enough for me:
dbershevits
Thats such a good picture. I can never take never likes that. Amazing Job.
wellerchap
lethaltriad wrote:
Finally a topic for me Very Happy I'm a professional photographer here in Jamaica. I use mainly canon cameras.. the EOS 5D, 40D and 350D which i dont use anymore. Lens i own are the 16-35mm F2.8L II + 24-70mm F2.8L + 70-200mm F2.8L IS and the 60mm F2.8

in terms of strobes i use a 4 light White Lightning kit with modifiers like umbrellas, beauty dishes, softboxes and some of them gridded Very Happy

Ryan, you have some fantastic work on your site....do you do the airbrushing/photoshop type stuff yourself?
Jinx
I'm an amateur photographer. I've got a Nikon D40 DSLR, and I'm learning a lot about photography. Right now I've only got the 18-55 mm it lens that comes with the camera, but I've been saving for a longer lens.

I found a great site that's really helped me improve, I've learned a lot about lighting there: Strobist.com
lethaltriad
wellerchap wrote:
lethaltriad wrote:

Ryan, you have some fantastic work on your site....do you do the airbrushing/photoshop type stuff yourself?

Thanks alot, yeah I do all the retouching myself. I use process my Raw files to Tiff with Digital Photo Professional that came with the canon cameras and then post process in Photoshop CS3.
paul_indo
I have a Fuji F30, it is really good in low light and small enough to carry around everywhere I go.
Nathan_Turner
I love picking up cameras from everywhere, I use a D80, F65, an Olympus Pen FT, and old Walzflex TLR, a Lomo LCA, Polaroid One Step, Polaroid 101 etc, currently trying to get a Yashica GSN
lfg4ever
A choice between a Sony and a Canon. Which would you choose?
lethaltriad
lfg4ever wrote:
A choice between a Sony and a Canon. Which would you choose?

My first digital camera was a Sony but now i'm using mainly Canon. For the point and shoot cameras they are both good choices but for professional SLR cameras I would recommend Canon. Wider choice of Lens and Camera Bodies to choose from.
Shewolf
Nathan_Turner wrote:
I love picking up cameras from everywhere, I use a D80, F65, an Olympus Pen FT, and old Walzflex TLR, a Lomo LCA, Polaroid One Step, Polaroid 101 etc, currently trying to get a Yashica GSN

I am totally in love with the little Olympus Pen FT I borrow from my father. It's such a neat, and small camera. The meter is pretty dead, but I guess it can be fixed somehow. Anyhow, it's much more fun daring to shoot without it. Much more challenging, and many poor results Laughing
Knowledge comes by try and error, right?
bjwok
looks like there a number of us here on the frih! i'm a photographer based in adelaide in south australia. i have two bodies, 30d and 5d and use a 24-70L USM lens. when in the studio i use D-Lite 4's, when out side my speedlite EX530II.

i am currently redesigning my site, so don't go looking there!
mitra
I just started with photography using a olympus e-510.

Haven't really had the time yet since i've been in school and stuff, but during my summer vac I should be able to snap a few shots
lfg4ever
So Olympus is pretty good?
Lily
I've got a very old Medion digital camera but he works.

flickr.com/lilovich
freeshann
couldnt say that I am a photographer or anything, but I do love it. I have 2 little kids now, so my latest subject addiction has become children... well mostly them, but when we are away with friends I love to take photos of their kids too and send them to them. Kids are so cute.
I am using a Canon 350D... or something like that, I think it was called a rebel xt or something in USA, but it just had a number equivilent here in New Zealand.
I am addicted to my zoom lens (75-300mm)... sometimes I find myself crossing the road to get further away from the subject instead of changing the lens!!
A couple of years ago we bought a manual fish eye lens, made in Belarus. It is so cool. But unfortunately the next 2 months of our travels were all in fish eye!!! As we practiced using it. But it looks so cool. I think there are a couple things we can do to flatten it out and get wide angle photos instead in photoshop... but I havent tried yet.
Does anyone know?
bjwok
not sure about undoing the fish eye warping, haven't really shot anything with a fisheye lens myself. i'm thinking of getting the 70-200 IS L from canon, but what are your thoughts on the 70-300? that extra bit of reach must be handy?
bastropjoel
I shoot with a Canon 20d. After years of shooting film I switched to digital about 1 1/2 years ago. It was hard getting used to how narrow of a range digital has in proper exposure. Film is so much more forgiving, but I do love having a histogram available right after the shot.
bastropjoel
Photoshop cs3 lens correction filter is great, but you will have to be very judicious with the cropping.

If you are serious about photography, you will love the 70-200 L. The sharpness and clarity surpass the 70-300 by a mile, but the price does to.
jwellsy
I have a 110 Kodak Pocket Instamatic.
The film door on it broke about 25 years ago,
and the rubber band that holds it on has to be replaced every couple of years.

I love it, it's always there and always ready to be used.
freeshann
i'm thinking of getting the 70-200 IS L from canon, but what are your thoughts on the 70-300? that extra bit of reach must be handy?

I dont know about the the clarity and stuff like that, as I said, I think, I'm not a professional... or anything close, I just love it. But yeah I love that extra bit of reach. I do find that I have it at furtherest zoom most of the time, if I have that lens on, and sometimes find myself wanting more. Originally, the only reason I bought that particualar zoom lens was because it was the only one avaiable at that 2nd hand shop.
I used to use it a lot when watching my husband's soccer team play, cause you cant run out on to the field to get the good shots!!
bastropjoel
If you don't make a living with your lenses, the the 70-300 IS (image stabilization) is a great lens. The 70-300 can get a little bit soft at the 300 end of the zoom, but the reach on a 1.6 crop factor camera is sweet.

The 70-200 is much sharper, focuses faster, and has a much better build.
bjwok
thanks guys, well i will be getting the 70-200L IS as i am about to launch my photography business and i have a wedding to shoot as one of my first paid gigs. will start saving now. should have it in about 10 weeks!
cyber9
I don't have any. Laughing
BigBangFan
I am currently shooting digital with a Canon S3 IS. In a "past life" I had two Canon T90's and a Canon A1 - I still have the A1 and use it from time to time. I also have a Canon 85mm f/1.2L, a Canon 80-200 f/4L and a Sigma 400mm f/5.6. I also have a collection of old movie cameras, old 35mm cameras, medium format and even a couple of Brownies.
bastropjoel
mmm...

... brownies
bjwok
those last three posts have me confused somewhat.
bastropjoel
The kodak brownie camera make americans into photo bugs. Only a dollar when introduced, damn near everybody had one.

and brownies taste good.

http://www.brownie-camera.com/
soljarag
about 13 out of the 20 people in my studio class (industrial design) have SLRs... I'm starting to feel left out Smile I just have a cannon powershot... I just dont want to lug around a huge camera and lense ... although I can defenaty tell the quality difference!
bjwok
the picture quality is incomparable, the weight factor is a factor i agree, but in the end you have to weigh up what the images will be used for. i am just about to launch my photography business (as my third job!) and it's full frame dSLR or nothing when you are dealing with paying clients!
nfneon
Wow some of your pictures simply ROCK!

Well sometimes I play a photographer with my Kyocera (forgot witch tipe)

And this is one of my favourite:

Ice crystal hanged on spiders mesh

I have loads of pictures here, but most of them are dogs and they are not realy artistical.
tass_
I'm using my old (analogue) SLR, an Olympus OM10 with a 75-150mm Zuiko lense. : ) Takes great photos.
Shewolf
tass_, do you or the camera take the pictures?
- just had to ask Wink
tass_
Usually, I take aim with the camera, point it towards what I want a photography of, hit the trigger with my right pointy, and very soon there-after the very familiar KA-TCHUK sound is heard, and a photography snapped. So, I guess you could either say the camera takes the pictures, or that I take pictures with the camera. It's not like I'm shutting my eye, and out my rear comes a roll of film after about 24 shots. ; )
ptfrances
I've got a Pentax K10 D.
It's a wonderful camera and if you are looking for a good reflex at a good price, you can buy it.

Smile
wiralogam
hi all,
inoob got canon 30D, 17-50 Tamron and 70-200 IS 2.8L
b4r4t
Today I've played Nikon D700 Very Happy ... I'm lovin' it Very Happy But the cash witch the potential buyer have to spend for it ... and then lenses (which have to be full-frame compatible) ... ...

I'm thinking of something much cheaper like canon 450 ... or maybe even cheaper ... just to have the body + good lenses , and then just change the body ...

Because IMO it's always better to have older BODY with good quality lenses, then great body with crappy, dark lenses Smile
Kopernikus
Myself, I´ve got a sony alpha 100 with kit lens, 1.7/50 (my favourite) and 4.5-5.6/100-300 Minolta

the kit is useless open, the same for the tele. but i *love* the 1.7/50
joe_b
I've got a Canon 40D with a 28-135 and 70-200L 2.8IS. I'm looking at getting a wide angle lens next, either the Canon 10-22 or Tokina 11-17.

Kopernikus
I love the bokeh and the well-thought-of use of sharpness.

and I *hate* it, that my wide-angle lenses are useless on a crop camera!
Mudkipdw
I love photography I have a Canon 450D SLR and its amazing specially with a telescopic lens .....
b4r4t
well ... zoom lens is not equal to other zoom lens ... what lens do You like so much with Your 450d ? I've played 70-200 f/4L IS USM and I must say that this is reali nice, sharp (pro) short tele Very Happy but the cash which You have spend for it ... :/

I've played 400D and I must say that this is realy nice SLR but canon 300,350,400,450 have one bad issue ... when it's dark those canons use lamp to support AF insteed of red IR and that can "hurt" because flash is ... fashing into eyes Smile But if You buy external lamp (which is a good idea - You can start to play with light) then most of lamps have IR AF support Smile

I'm thinking about D90 + 18-105 VR (realy nice universal lens) ... but if I'll not have free cash for it i'll go to D60 body + 18-105 VR and then I'll just change the body when i;ll have free resources Smile
Ankhanu
b4r4t wrote:
I'm thinking about D90 + 18-105 VR (realy nice universal lens) ... but if I'll not have free cash for it i'll go to D60 body + 18-105 VR and then I'll just change the body when i;ll have free resources Smile

Save your money and just get the camera you want. The D60 is an ok entry level camera, but chances are if you have experience (and it sounds like you do) it will be frustrating... especially since your lens choices are limited by its lack of internal focusing motor and mount terminals. Just save a couple extra months and get the D90; its a much better camera.
la_Duchess
I am a photographer of sorts. I just picked up a Nikon D300. What a toy for me. I have my Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens that Santa gave me paired with Camera for these shots in NYC.

b4r4t
Hmm ... maybe it's just me but ..

1st - underexposed ...
2nd - You focused into podest not the statue ... maybe You've used small f number ... should use f/22 or something like this and set focus manyaly something in the middle of statue ...
lethaltriad
I recently got the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM and its my dream lens, I use it alot on my 5D. Next on my wishlist is the Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM but its always out of stock or back ordered on BH Photo Sad and for camera bodies my cousin convinced me to get the Canon 5d MarkII, so hoping to get it for the summer =)
bjwok
nice choice! i need a faster lens for gigs, but am seriously thinking about getting a macro lens instead! maybe the 100 f/2.8?
lethaltriad
My first ever lens was the 60mm 2.8 macro, really good lens. All the macro lens are sharp and fast but I would definately get the 100 f/2.8 because alot of times I wish I had the extra reach that the 60 doesnt have.
bjwok
that's it, i am getting it! you've sold me on it lol!
plus i may grab some kenko extension tubes too for added magnification...
andysart380
ive got a Canon rebel xs using 18-55 and a 75-300, love my camera and love taking pictures
bjwok
i also shoot nightclubs, here's a set from last week. (all shot with 5D, 24-70, 508EXII on cam, diffused.

MDeZign
I must accept my casual Digicam, and do the very best with it. I work with the Casio EX-Z80.

Here are some Examples. It's only a hobby, i won't do it as a job.

2 friends of me.

Hm - by the way. The photos are already formed with PS CS.

If i should give it a name, it would be called "future"..

Lying in the grass..

Well, I repeat it: It's only a hobby of me.

Comment it, please Wink

Hope I don't used wrong thread. Wink
b4r4t
Out of focus (especialy #1), overexposed, even burned (especialy 2 and 3) ... composition (read about the rule of thirds)

And I think that those photos was destroyed in some process in photoshop Smile

Even if it's a hobby - read some articles about making photos, basics of photography and this will help Smile

You can make sharp, nice photo even using normal, compact camera ... example (using 5Mpix camera):

MDeZign
b4r4t wrote:
Out of focus (especialy #1), overexposed, even burned (especialy 2 and 3) ... composition (read about the rule of thirds)

And I think that those photos was destroyed in some process in photoshop Smile

Even if it's a hobby - read some articles about making photos, basics of photography and this will help Smile

You can make sharp, nice photo even using normal, compact camera ... example (using 5Mpix camera):

Did u use some special options with your digicam?
b4r4t
Just normal knowlage about photography ...

Aperture priority to biggest hole (smallest f number - it was f/3.6 i think), long F ("zoom" to have good DOF / BOKEH) and time was set automaticly by camera (because Aperture priority) to 1/800s ... it was verry sunny day Smile
ISO was 64 or so ... to reduce noise (higher ISO = more noise on photos ... for "monkey digicams" ISO200 is noisy ... 400 more noisy ... 800+ ... OMG).

But if You don't have manual settings in your camera (and CAsio doesn't have it i think) then just use "Portrait" ... it always try to keep lowest f number and the time will be set automaticly (like Aperture priority - almost) Smile
But if You can set ISO manualy try to set is as low as You can (with good light ofcourse)

And ... it wasn't my camera - I was on vacations with my friends and this was camera of friend of mine Smile

Camera is Fuji s5600 (old one) Smile

Next i was standing and "locked" AF on her eye and then I've crouched and made the photo. I made it because if not - AF will catch focus on grass in front - not the eye Smile

Just a little trick Smile
bjwok
another club gig...

enjoy Smile

Cliffer
i like photography and art.
michaeljscott93
I have a Sony A350 DSLR, and its awesome - 18-75mm and 55-200mm lenses.

I have an active Flickr account: www.flickr.com/photos/michaeljscott

and

An active (updated once a month) website: www. scottphotographics.com

Please check them out and any good advice is welcome=)

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Asis
justtj wrote:

http://flickr.com/justtj

The second pic is so good. Great job, where did u took it ?
lethaltriad
bjwok my friend! beautiful work as usual, love the club shots
bjwok
thanks champ!
tingkagol
Weekend at the beach...

I mainly use 18-55mm (stock) and 50mm Canon lenses on a 400D. Of course, these were tweaked in Photoshop.
bjwok
very nice stuff champ!
tingkagol
Thanks.

Nice flash photography too. Flash & nighttime photography has never been good to me, so I hate it in return. lol

By the way, does that club really accept minors? They look like they're barely 15.
malcolmpreen
Interesting thread.... I'm looking at replacing my digital camera and would appreciate some advise...

My current camera is a Sony DSC F505V... it is over 10 years old.

It works OK.... but I have a problem with battery life.... they report 90 minutes life... but after at most 10 minutes they are done... This has happened before, and replacing the batteries did resolve the problem.

However, whilst I could again replace the batteries, there are a couple of other problems / features with the camera....

There is a significant delay... auto focus is some of this.... but even so it takes more than a second per photo. This causes me a problem as I have a very fast dog I want to take pictures of.

The best option currently is to take video... and then extract the stills by software... which is OK..

However, I'm reading about most of current cameras having "burst mode" - which sounds perfect.... I can just shoot 10-20 pictures and pick the ones I want....

The other feature is that the Sony is quite heavy.... so I'm looking at compact cameras.

The only other thought is that I have a number of "Memory Stick" cards... which are Sony proprietary... I am assuming that these sticks "MAY" work in new Sony cameras.... but its not a show stopper....

Anyone got any recommendations ?

Malcolm
hamza1122
i'm not into photography that much but i admire the artworks that you guys put up. great job ppls!
lethaltriad
Nice work there tingkagol, the shot with the cards looks like a winning hand in the making Very Happy
malcolmpreen
malcolmpreen wrote:

Anyone got any recommendations ?

After some more research I bought a Panasonic DMC TZ7 with a 16Gb card.

It has all the features I was looking for.... and the only problem is that I'm going to need a bigger hard disk for all the pictures/movies !!!

Malcolm
Kashinilaya
Crinoid wrote:
Into photography: professionally or as a part of a hobby, tool for a hobby?

After stopping using STL optical cameras with lenses, and trying 6 lower end digital cameras, I'm sticking with old point-and-shoot Pentax Optio 30, the newer model gives no such quality.
As long as it serves the purpose, it's good enough for me:
Great picture, man!
michaeljscott93
I am very into photography and beginning to explore some graphic art!

My website: www.scottphotographics.com

My Gallery: www.scottphotographics.com/portfolio

and Tutorials: www.scottphotographics.com/tutorials.html

Please rate and comment on my website!!!
tingkagol
Very impressive. I especially liked the pic with the choppers in ultra shutter speed or something.

And it's great that you also post tutorials up.
andysart380
some really cool shots i love the water droplets....check out my site.. www.andysart.frih.org
michaeljscott93
Thanks for the kind feedback!