FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RAM loss after formating laptop

eudbase
Hi, my friend ask me that whether a laptop will loss its RAM after reformating the computer? She told me that each time she has formatted her laptop, the RAM will dropped.. She has a 512 MB RAM and now get dropped to 300 MB only... Does anyone know why
sheedatali
Rubbish, when you format, your hard drive gets wiped out, RAM is a volatile memory it has nothing to do with Format, it gets wiped each time you switch off your laptop anyway. That is the entire purpose of a RAM, to store data as long as you have power.
nTonio
Before posting nonsenses try to find some info on net about components that concern your subject of future post. I'm sure you find on many sites answers for many rest of your doubts.
eudbase
Sorry for asking such a stupid question. Anyway, thanks for your advice.
KHO
Also instead of flaming someone for ignorance (eg: not knowing as much about this subject as you thus the reason they are asking your help) you should consider having an open mind to their problem. It is very possible that the pagefile is being considered here, that operates the exact same as ram except slower because it runs through the hard drive and would infact be effected by a format.
FunDa
I has a problem with my computer which first had 512mb of RAM, which later became 256 mb.

The reason : The RAM was in 2 sticks of 256mb each.
One of them conked off(died or whatever) and let th other stick function alone.

I had to open up the CPu and remove the RAMs one by one and put in alternate slots before I could figure it out.

Maybe it could be things like this that caused this problem.

But since here its dropped from 512mb to 300mb I think the pagefile funda is more likely. Maybe if a few chips alone died off, then maybe this could happen. Just a theory. Pardon my ignorance.
ssthanapati
FunDa wrote:

But since here its dropped from 512mb to 300mb I think the pagefile funda is more likely. Maybe if a few chips alone died off, then maybe this could happen. Just a theory. Pardon my ignorance.

I dont think it works that way Rolling Eyes
nTonio
Ok., so of course
- first step should be check of appropriate position of a ram module in a slot. Good idea is to place them in advisable way -> slot nr1: ram1, slot nr2:ram2, …. Slots number you should find in your mainboard manual.

- check some system view program for independent check of amount of your ram
I.e. like AIDA32 - Enterprise System Information for example 3.93
Or Everest Home Edition for example 2.2

- Test your suspect item under some testing pro
For example SiSoftware Sandra XII

If you find on one of them some failure, you will be able to name character and describe your real problem. There is no magic, it’s a machine Wink