FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Formatting and partitioning?

aandy501
Ok, I sound like a complete idiot, but I just got 2 hard drives, and i need to format them and partition one.
How would I go about formatting and partitioning in the easiest ossible way.Also any recommendations on how many partitions I should have for a 500gb drive?
All help appriciated.
Aandy
bloodrider
If you have a PC up and running, you can connect the 2 hard drives and format&partition them from the OS. To connect them you'll have to open your PC, have extra SATA or IDE cables, or switch the cable from your optical drive(s) to the hard drives. You may also connect them trough an "USB box" (I don't know the English term, it's a box were you can put your hard drive, and that box connects trough USB to your PC, functioning like an external hard drive)

As for how many partitions you should do, that depends entirely on how you'll use it.
If it will have an OS, you may do a 20 GB partition to the OS and software (so you can format and reinstall it without loosing any data), then you may do a 60-100 GB partition to permanent data store (like "My Documents" and other files), and the space left may be split (equally or not...) in other 2 partitions, one for games and other for downloads (this 2 partitions should be made so the system's partition don't be fragmented, you'll gain a little boost on performance). This is only a suggestion, you should adapt it to your needs.
ocalhoun
bloodrider wrote:

As for how many partitions you should do, that depends entirely on how you'll use it.
If it will have an OS, you may do a 20 GB partition to the OS and software (so you can format and reinstall it without loosing any data), then you may do a 60-100 GB partition to permanent data store (like "My Documents" and other files), and the space left may be split (equally or not...) in other 2 partitions, one for games and other for downloads (this 2 partitions should be made so the system's partition don't be fragmented, you'll gain a little boost on performance). This is only a suggestion, you should adapt it to your needs.

All the fancy partitions will only really help if you don't regularly defrag. Putting everything in one large partition will give you more flexibility if, for instance, you want to install more than 20GB worth of software. If the various partitions were actually separate drives, you would get a performance boost, but being on the same drive, it wouldn't help all that much.

If you don't already have an OS installed, use a boot disk with format and Fdisk to partition and format the drives (or just let your OS installer do it).
bloodrider
ocalhoun wrote:

All the fancy partitions will only really help if you don't regularly defrag. ... If the various partitions were actually separate drives, you would get a performance boost, but being on the same drive, it wouldn't help all that much.

Not really true. It will help the lazy ones and forgotten ones Razz, but also, all the "fancy partitions" allows you to lower your drive's effective access time. If you need, I can explain you this or you can "google it" Wink
Also, defrag 500 GB or 20 GB it's slightly different, a difference of hours... the "fancy partitions" will allow you to defrag only those partitions that actually need defrag, and using less times your hard drive will even help to keep it from failing prematurely.

ocalhoun wrote:

Putting everything in one large partition will give you more flexibility

And then when your OS "caputzzz" (with a Microsoft system this isn't rare to happen Laughing) you'll format your entire drive and all the "half tera worth data", or you'll spend some hours backing up your data to DVD, hopefully before the problem happened Razz

As I said in my previous post, there isn't any "right formula", each one of us have different needs, I like performance and organization with the less effort possible Cool
nTonio
Read carefully what bloodrider have written it's pure TRUE.
Good idea is to find out how many plates have your drive, and capacity of each of them - But it's rather pro guy them, for which the build of a drive is necessary.
schoenstattmx
to format and make partitions, download the PartitionMagicPro 8, and burn a Cd with that, DONT MAKE A PRIMARY PARTITION because if you break it down, your disk won't operate anymore Exclamation Exclamation
KHO
I'm noticing a lot of people telling what a partition does and what the best scheme is, but not many people actually helping him find a free and easy tool to format/partition his HDD.]

It's really quite simple if you DO NOT want to keep ANY of the data on the HDD in question. You mentioned that you have 2HDDs now and you only want to partition one of them. My guess is that you have the disk that you do not want to partition intended for OS installation, if this is the case then it would be best to go ahead and install the OS onto this disk and from within the OS use built in tools to partition it (windows has a partition program you can access via Disk Management. Click Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc in the Open: line and click OK. The Disk Management snap-in will open.)

If you do not want to install an OS to the drive as I have presumed, then you would be best off downloading a live disk as ocalhoun mentioned. You can get a pretty easy to use knoppix disk with the proper tools http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html in this site you can select the FTP or HTTP(slower) option for a mirror close to you, and burn the disk. This requires a pre-existing computer with a CD burner though. If you have trouble burning a proper ISO disk and are running windows try out http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm it has proven to be by far the easiest tool on windows to burn a proper ISO disk.