FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can I take my Windows XP with me to a New Computer

Possum
Hi

I am about to upgrade my computers. Can I take my copies of XP with me and install them on these new computers?

Cheers Possum
aningbo
i'm sure u could do this if u still got the CD... dont ask me about license though. i haven't got a clue.
Diablosblizz
The license might work if it's a multi-user key. For example, there should be a sticker on the case of the computer saying your key. It may say 1-2 CPU somewhere. If it does then you can install it on a different computer. If not, phone Microsofts toll-free number and ask.
LostOverThere
Obviously, if you have an OEM version you wont be able to. But anything else I dont see why not. Sorry, im really not much help
Possum
Hi

One copy is XP Professional. The other is Home.

The Professional version was supplies to me by Microsoft..

I received the Home version from HP when I rang up and paid extra to have the XP Home CD

cheers Possum..
ocalhoun
You shouldn't have any problem. If it asks for activation, do it by phone, and it'll usually go through just fine. If they deny it, speak with a real person and tell them that the old computer is no more, and that this is the only computer it is installed on. Then they will activate it.
vampire8u
I have reinstalled windows xp on many computers that have been upgraded or blown up motherboards. All you have to do is call and get a new activation key.The new key is linked to the hardware in the upgraded computer so it will only work for that computer. Piece of cake.
ThePolemistis
Possum wrote:
Hi

I am about to upgrade my computers. Can I take my copies of XP with me and install them on these new computers?

Cheers Possum

No. M$ only allow ur windows xp licence to work on 2 PCs (if this is a non-corporation licence). That means only ur PC and ur laptop at any given time can use it. Anymore, and you're violating the rules.
KHO
As far as the licensing information goes, as long as it is only active on a single machine at any given time, then it is legal. And even without following this minor detail, you can easily have both computers running the same copy without any problems at all. You don't even need a hack or a crack or anything. There's no authentication process for XP that will check that only a single user has that copy installed. It would be too much hassle for Microsoft to enforce something that like.