FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost Blogs - Success or Failure

Frihost Blogs - Success or Failure
Success
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Failure
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Not sure
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 17

truespeed
10 Months ago frihost blogs were launched,i myself set one up "The world in pictures" and i had every intention of keeping it up as it only involved posting pictures,but as i don't really watch the news,and as i didn't want to fill it with sport,it slowly but surely became a blog for famous dead people.

When i look at the latest blog posts now they seem to be mainly bondings posts with people adding replies,so i wonder if frihost really needed the blog feature at all.

So how does everyone else view the success of failure of the blogs?
SonLight
The blogs were a worthwhile experiment. It does seem to have limited utility, because it does not have a lot of features. For example, I cannot change the posting category for a blog entry accidentally posted to the wrong place. I kind of wondered if the points system would work ok on the blogs. It seems to be too easy to post random topics in which no one is interested, and which draw no comments, yet that seems normal on a blog. Gauging quality of a post is more difficult, and maybe points need to be readjusted for blogs; maybe for blog comments too. Also, I believe ability for the blogger to readjust the look of the page is important.

I like the idea of the blog feature and would like to see it developed further. I believe it would take a lot of coding to make it more effective though, and I kind of doubt if it will be seen to be worthwhile. Anyway, thanks, Bondings, for trying out the idea. Maybe I will be surprised and the blogs will be improved.
Ghost Rider103
I have never really been into the whole blog thing. I have never even tried to start up a blog. I perfer an actual website over some sort of blog.

I actually don't ever read up on any blogs either. So I cannot say I have helped much on participating with the frihost blog idea. I have never read one post anyone has made on their blog here at frihost. It just doesn't interest me.

I think it could, then again it might have been successful. But I think it could be sucessful, because it seems like a lot of people are / were taking part in the blog idea.

Just my thought...
Arseniy
I think that Frihost Blogs are not succesfull. Almost all frihosters run their own Wordpress blogs or Blogger or Livejournal or etc. So Frihost blogs are not so attractive as all other systems.
That's why I don't make my own Frihost blog.
Bondings
SonLight wrote:
The blogs were a worthwhile experiment. It does seem to have limited utility, because it does not have a lot of features. For example, I cannot change the posting category for a blog entry accidentally posted to the wrong place. I kind of wondered if the points system would work ok on the blogs. It seems to be too easy to post random topics in which no one is interested, and which draw no comments, yet that seems normal on a blog. Gauging quality of a post is more difficult, and maybe points need to be readjusted for blogs; maybe for blog comments too. Also, I believe ability for the blogger to readjust the look of the page is important.

I like the idea of the blog feature and would like to see it developed further. I believe it would take a lot of coding to make it more effective though, and I kind of doubt if it will be seen to be worthwhile. Anyway, thanks, Bondings, for trying out the idea. Maybe I will be surprised and the blogs will be improved.

Yeah I know that it lacks a lot of features. I'm planning to add quite a few like rss feeds, but it can take a while. Especially the design needs to be worked on I guess.

About the posting category, normally you should be able to change that. There is normally a dropdown list under the blog post.

@truespeed, I really liked your blog.

And yes at the moment it's a lot of my posts only. I hope to change that once there are more features and I promote it a bit more.
Vladalf
It's a nice feature. Ceirtanly it would be better if you could costumize it more but it's ok. Smile

-Vladalf
pll
It's a nice feature... We only need to promote it more !
I'm sure that it will work !
SpellcasterDX
It seems to me like it failed. Possibly because it wasn't promoted enough, or possibly because there wasn't enough interest.
LostOverThere
SpellcasterDX wrote:
It seems to me like it failed. Possibly because it wasn't promoted enough, or possibly because there wasn't enough interest.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you too. Sad
ocalhoun
Perhaps its just getting off to a slow start?

I think it would work better if it were integrated into the forums more somehow. It is easy to forget that it is even there. It would be extremely difficult to code, but what if there was a wiki-like engine that took text from posts, matched it to text on blogs (by using many of the same words, perhaps?) and provided links to blogs that it thought pertained too the topic being discussed in the post.

So, in the end you'd have something at the beginning or end of the topic saying
'There may be blog(s) that also discuss this topic at Frihost:
-blog one (closest match)
-blog two (next closest)
-blog three (next closest)'

Less effective, but still helpful and easier to code would be a 'featured blog of the week' on the index.

Also, you can point out to people thinking of starting a blog that they will start off with 46000 members who can comment without having to register a new account just for your blog.

Also, could there be some kind of incentive for having/going to a blog?
Nameless
I haven't been interested to read literally ANY blog on frihost, but whether that's a failure of the blogs or of me personally is still up for debate.
SonLight
Bondings wrote:

About the posting category, normally you should be able to change that. There is normally a dropdown list under the blog post.

I know there is a category selection when creation a new blog entry. I don't see it in edit mode, though. I am using Opera 9,27 on Ubuntu Linux. Here is a screenshot of an attempt to edit a blog entry, with no category link visible.

Bondings
SonLight wrote:
Bondings wrote:

I know there is a category selection when creation a new blog entry. I don't see it in edit mode, though. I am using Opera 9,27 on Ubuntu Linux. Here is a screenshot of an attempt to edit a blog entry, with no category link visible.

It's on the blog post page itself. I will put it on the edit page too, though. Good idea!
SonLight
Thanks, Bondings, for pointing me to the category change dropdown on the view page. I didn't expect to be able to make changes while viewing. It worked fine, but it seems more intuitive to change it when editing.

Immediately after changing the category, I tried to edit the post to remove the "should have been in computing" line, but got a server error. The error shows up consistently, apparently whether I make any change or not. The same error occurs on preview or submit. I was able to do an edit followed by a preview on another blog post, so I believe the problem was caused when I changed the category.

The frihost server wrote:

Quote:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@frihost.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

ps. Of course this part of the post is in the wrong category; should be in support.

PPS. Changing the category back to "here and there" did not help.
Wuppie
This is a big forum so it's mainly about posting in forums. I have never really visited someones blog, except for Bondings World, because he might have something to say as the founder of Frihost. I think there should be a good way to see what blogs are really active and which blogs are good. I don't click on the blog of every member I see in this forum to see if they have a good blog.
ankitdatashn
oops i read the title in hurry an thought it was referring to frihost website, I have not seen the blog of frihost till yet so don;t know much about it, but seeing by the voting results it seems a failure, anyway I voted for "success" presumng it was about the frihost website...