FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Throwing IE Overboard

georgeodowd
I spend a lot of time (too much time) at my job trying to make things work in IE. It's frustrating, it's annoying, it makes me feel horribly unproductive. But according to our stats, about 95% of users have it (sort of like a highly-contagious plague).
Now that I'm finally getting around to building my personal website, I don't want to lower my standards just to make sure IE users aren't looking at a pile of overlapping, misshapen text. I don't expect my website will have much traffic - it's a fairly niche market - but I also don't want to alienate all my prospective visitors (aka friends and family).
Should I just bite the bullet and make an IE-friendly site? Should I strap everyone I know down and force them to download Firefox? Should I make a big ugly popup for IE users in an attempt to steer them away from the evil?

Your thoughts, advice, IE-love/hate stories, etc. welcome.
GB
It is definitely tempting to stop support for IE. I understand your frustrations. However, we can't avoid the simple fact that most people still use it. So I propose making your main site for Firefox, and then making a stripped down version for IE. You can have links to download Firefox from every page letting the user know that for the best experience, they should download Firefox.

But I would only do the above on a personal website.
Phil
I'm with GB.
Bottom line, the vast majority of web surfers do not/ have not/ will not ever use anything other than Explorer. Sad but true.
But even if you make it for Firefox only, you still have Safari and Opera and whatever else is out there.
The best advice I've heard is make it right, then dumb it down for Explorer.
furtasacra
This is something I've wondered about, myself. I wish there was just a way to force Microslop to make their stupid, crappy browser conform to W3C standards.

I've decided, since I have a tiny personal website, I just don't care. I'm in the process of designing myself a custom Wordpress theme, and if the site validates, and it looks like crap in IE, that's just too bad. I don't have time to tweak code for an inferior product. Although putting a "Best Viewed With Anything Besides Internet Explorer" button ain't a bad idea.
LostOverThere
I've given up on Internet Explorer 6, I can't get my site to work in it at all its terrible.
furtasacra
LostOverThere wrote:
I've given up on Internet Explorer 6, I can't get my site to work in it at all its terrible.

Well, I just looked at it with FF3 on Ubuntu and it seems to work just FINE, if that helps.
Bengt
Internet Explorer, the source of so much frustration.
It's really a pain in the ass, but as long as so many people are using it, it's kinda normal that you try and make things work.

But if i were King of the internet: IE was no more Laughing
keane
I agree with you! IE is REALLY a major cause of frustration and even stress! Lol... I'm working on a design right now and I'm so pissed off because it appears differently on IE. Hope I can find a solution to it... Whew!
NewAgeDesigns
Laughing I Think we should boycott I.E. By telling all web designers to make their sites incompatible with i.e. Therefore everyone will jus switch to FF! Lol
Bengt
NewAgeDesigns wrote:
Laughing I Think we should boycott I.E. By telling all web designers to make their sites incompatible with i.e. Therefore everyone will jus switch to FF! Lol

im in favor of that Very Happy
GB
hah! I'd love to, but would that fix the problem?
georgeodowd
How about a largescale hostile takeover of Microsoft? I'll lead a troop Smile
cavey
Your visitors will not change their browser just because your site does not work in IE.
The only thing that will happen, is that you will lose 95% of your visitors (who thinks that you are a lousy webcoder)
keane
cavey wrote:
Your visitors will not change their browser just because your site does not work in IE.
The only thing that will happen, is that you will lose 95% of your visitors (who thinks that you are a lousy webcoder)

Loose 95% of website visitor? Are they all IE6 users? LOL... (no pun intended)

Don't you think that it's the people behind IE6's development who are supposed to be coined as "lousy coders". Just my two cents. Smile
TomS
I would not worry too much about IE6. They try to make their new versions of IE conform with w3-standards. They really try. IE7 supports much more of those webstandards. I think that people who use IE to durf on the internet, already updatet their browser. Who did not, is an idiot.
IE 8 will reach Firefox and Netscape and support CSS3, I believe.
So create you sites in Firefox or Netscape or whatever and use IE7 to check.
If it's not too horrible just let it be.
Forget about IE6. No use for this program anymore.
All users should finally update to IE7.
cavey
keane wrote:
cavey wrote:

Loose 95% of website visitor? Are they all IE6 users? LOL... (no pun intended)

Don't you think that it's the people behind IE6's development who are supposed to be coined as "lousy coders". Just my two cents. :)

The people that use IE6 do not think that the developers behind IE6 are lousy - even if they are (then they would not use that program, would they?). Because some sites work and other don't, they probably think that it's the site that's broken - Not "the internet" which they think that the blue "e" is.

the 95% I am referring to, is the statistics from the tread starters website. Even if less than 95% of YOU users uses IE, 95% of the tread starter actually do (or like to pretend that they do)
GB
A List Apart has a really good series of articles on this topic. It calls web designers and developers to use "progressive enhancement" to create an experience for all types of users, even those using older browsers. Progressive Enhancement with JavaScript is the latest installment and contains links to the first two on xhtml and css in the first line.

I think it might help with some of your struggles with IE.
georgeodowd
I ran into the delightful IE 'peekaboo' bug the other day. As far as I could find, it was rumoured to only exist in IE6, but I was seeing it in all its glory in IE7. Has anyone run into this before? It's pretty lame.

Also, I heard that IE8 conforms to W3C to a fault... so that it's not exactly at the same level as FF and Chrome, and we designers/developers will still have issues making things consistent across all major browsers. Not sure on the details of that claim though... Thoughts?