FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux OS

n0obie4life
Can someone tell me which Linux OS can support a PC with these specs :

Intel 82810E Graphics Controller
127MB RAM
Pentium III

A 24.4gb and 11.8gb harddisk (2 partitions). Prepared to uninstall Windows ME.

I prefer something like Mepis. Simple to use.

My WINME PC is pissing me off after I installed recent patches from MS. Constant crashes, my zonelabs firewall's GUI is missing Sad, etc..
gonzo
You really don't have enough ram for ANY modern OS.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Special/Memory_Conf/Corsair_Memory_main.html
orno
whats wrong with having only 128MB RAM?
agreed it might not be anough for windows and definitely not enuf for Tiger (but thats not part of this discussion anyways) so yeah, i would say almost any linux distro would work fine for you
gonzo
any COMMAND LINE distro will be happy with 128 megs
n0obie4life
gonzo wrote:
You really don't have enough ram for ANY modern OS.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Special/Memory_Conf/Corsair_Memory_main.html

Beat my winXP Wink. I was talking about the PC I bought something like 3 years ago from Compaq.

Anyway, anyone ??
bulbous
You can easily run Slackware Linux with only a P3 128 MB RAM. In fact, I'm running it on a Pentium 233 MMX with only 64 MB of RAM. Of course, it's only running console, however I'm sure you can run a low level version of GNOME or some other XWindows. So yah, go get slackware 9, it's one of the closest UNIX type Linux OS's, and it's stable and reliable.
You can get a copy at http://www.linuxiso.org.
Cheers,

Jon
corey
You can run ANY modern linux on that machine for sure. Slack, Debian, Fedora, Mandrake, Suse, Gentoo, etc. Vector Linux would run like a dream on that box, even the SOHO version with KDE. If you run XFCE, IceWM, or Fluxbox, you'll be flying with the wind.
Asylum
Personaly I would go with Fedora Core 4 for a linux distro to use.
n0obie4life
Thanks. I'll try and use Mepis first. If it won't work, I'll use Slackware Smile.
rohan2kool
Bullshit. I have Pentium 3, onboard graphics, intel motherboard and a 20 GB hard-drive. I have tested the following linux distros and they work fine:

1.SuSe Linux
2.ezxBiz Linux
3.linspire
4.Fedora 4
5.RedHat
6.KNOPPIX Live!
7.Mandrake 10.1 Diskovery
8.Mandrake Live!
9.Xandros

I currently use RedHat and that is really a good distros. However, my second reecommendation would be SuSe Linux followed by Fedora and Mandrake.

If ur a n00b, Mandrake and Linspire(if ur switching from windows) are the right one for you. For general and SoHo purposes, SuSe and ezxBiz is good. Fedora and RedHat are excellent for server hosting, Server-side scripting and rest.

Hope this helps you.

~rohan prabhu
a.k.a rohan2kool
n0obie4life
Linspire is paid. I know they have a free version now.
Just go to their website, press "Buy digital <something>", its free for a limited time, but the server is always full.

I'm a much more "MAC" user. Mepis looks like a mac Razz.
TheGeek
With those specs you can more than adiquetely run slackware 10.1. You would have to use something barebones though like blackbox or fluxbox. However, thats what i use and my machine is quadruple your posted specs easily.
Neus
with my old computer with almost same specs (i had 256 ram) ive run slackware, mandrake, red hat, and gentoo fine...
Donutey
be careful with the 810 integrated graphics... i've had trouble with it before in windows (all menus in german...english version ugh that took a while to figure out) and linux, especially live cds (just make sure everything is backed up, specially if you want a dual boot or sumthin like that)
n0obie4life
Donutey wrote:
be careful with the 810 integrated graphics... i've had trouble with it before in windows (all menus in german...english version ugh that took a while to figure out) and linux, especially live cds (just make sure everything is backed up, specially if you want a dual boot or sumthin like that)

Yeah. I had problems. But it came with my PC and I never bothered to upgrade it.
blackant
I am not sure whether ubuntu would be good for your pc. Razz
Maybe you want to try it.
babumuchhala
I would suggest Using UBUNTU. Its really good. Ur config is good and almost similar to mine, just that u got twice the RAM than i got.

I havent had any problems and have used Ubuntu with 128 MB RAM & it really works great when compared to 64 MB RAM

http://shipit.ubuntu.com is where u can request free CDs, but currently they have closed their database to clear backlog & prepare for Ubuntu 5.10
Donutey
Ubuntu. !!!.. but live cd wont work well with limited ram... make sure you get the latest version...
n0obie4life
I can't work with Live CDs.

Help?
budazz
has anyone here try to edit or tried to create their own OS using linux?....do you find it easy....because mandrake is much more closely to windows...what do you think?... Very Happy
mostarac
To get live cd working you need lots of RAM...
And some distro like KONPPIX which can detect most of devices. Twisted Evil

To make own distro your need to be a coder...
Even if you wan't just to change distro name you need to know how to compile installation. Cool
naz
I would recommend you DSL (www.damnsmalllinux.com).
You can boot I from USB or you harddrive and it's really fast and small,whille being expandeable to a "big" Linux.
orno
n0obie4life wrote:
I can't work with Live CDs.

Help?

More details?

cant work with live cd's coz....
1) U're a sup3rno0b
2) ur cd drive is broke
3) bondings is an alien Twisted Evil

Question
n0obie4life
I think number 3 is causing it..

Lol.

Anyway, it loads MEPIS...then it loads SLOWLY, taking up to 1/2 hr just to load the desktop...then I click on "Install Me" (well, its a live CD Rolling Eyes)...and...i wait...i wait...then my CD drive just stops responding.

Eh, my CD-Drive is a 4x Razz.

Btw, is there anyway to installa live CD the "non-live" way?
nik
Quote:
CD-Drive is a 4x

there is a simple solution for that:

a. remove your cd-drive

b. open the window

c. throw it out

d. go and buy 52x

how much ram you got. my pc used to work very slow becouse one of my ram cards wasent' working
Daniel15
My system is very similar to yours, and I'm running Windows XP fine!
My system:
Pentium III 866mHz
192MB ram
Intel 82810E On-board Graphics
10GB Hard Drive

If you're looking for a linux distribution, I suggest you use Debian. I've got Debian set up on this system:
Celeron 300mHz
192MB ram
Some really cheap graphics card (I think it's a Trident 3dimage, but can't remember off the top of my head)
4GB Hard Drive

I use this system mainly as a text-based system, to test out PHP scripts and stuff. However, when my computer wasn't working, I was using WindowMaker on the Celeron which worked wonderfully.

Quote:
CD-Drive is a 4x

I suggest you buy at least a 52x CD-ROM drive. 52x32x52 CD burners are only AU$45 so they're really cheap to get these days
n0obie4life
Yay. I have a another person using the same graphix card Razz.

NOOOOOOOOO, MY 4X CD DRIVE....

I seldom use my CD drive on the "old" PC...so why buy a new one?

No way of installing a live cd the "non-live" way? If so, I shall d/l another ISO, that will take me 6 hours..on my "great" internet connection..
corey
Its a shame that you couldn't find an old 650MB CD-R. I bet one of the reasons that your drive won't go faster (4x is slow, but not that slow) with a burnt CD is because its 700MB. I'm surprised that you can even play a burnt CD on it at all (perhaps you could borrow a CD Rom drive for the install...)
n0obie4life
I d/led the ISO on my other pc (the "newer" one). And burnt it there at 12x. It can reach 52k anyway..
corey
n0obie4life wrote:
I d/led the ISO on my other pc (the "newer" one). And burnt it there at 12x. It can reach 52k anyway..
Why not borrow the cd rom from that machine for the install? You won't need it after that. Of course, you could mount the ISO file and install it from he hard drive if you had to (but I don't know how to do that)
n0obie4life
Really..but how wuld I go about taking out my CD Drive?
TheGeek
daniel15 wrote:

192MB ram
10GB Hard Drive

how do you live!!!

iv heard of people barely surviving XP with 256MB and 80GB...

plus i thought the min for XP was 256 anyway...
corey
n0obie4life wrote:
Really..but how wuld I go about taking out my CD Drive?
That kind of "operation" is fairly easy. I'll explain so that anyone reading can understand the process. You'd have to open the case and take out the screws holding the cd drive in. There's an IDE cable (the wide flat one) hooked to the back as well as a power cable (white end with 4 wires on it)unplug these (a bit carefully - grab them tight and pull on the end, not the wire). Slide the cd rom out of the machine. Slide it in the new one and reverse the process. Make sure that you have the little jumper (small plastic thing that "bridges" two small contacts on the back where the wires are) in the right spot if you have to put the drive on a different position than it is/was in the other machine. There should be a chart on the label showing which is "master", "slave", and "cable select". Where you plug the drive into the IDE cable determines which that is. The end plug is the master one and the middle plug (the one in the middle of the cable) is the slave. Be sure that if you have to change which plug is used, that the jumper is changed too.

Plug it in. It should be recognized. Install your cd. I hope this helps. If I gave too much info, sorry (others will benefit, though).
Daniel15
TheGeek wrote:
daniel15 wrote:

192MB ram
10GB Hard Drive

how do you live!!!
iv heard of people barely surviving XP with 256MB and 80GB...
plus i thought the min for XP was 256 anyway...

I've also got Windows XP working on a Pentium II 350mHz, 192MB RAM and 4GB hard drive (it's my sister's computer)

The officialy requirements are here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx

Quote:

No way of installing a live cd the "non-live" way? If so, I shall d/l another ISO, that will take me 6 hours..on my "great" internet connection..

Lucky for me I recently got 1.5Mb/s ADSL Very Happy
And by the way, "live" cd's are designed to only be run from the CD. Some have an option to install it, but most don't.
Helios
*ehm* Knoppix *ehm*
n0obie4life
Helios wrote:
*ehm* Knoppix *ehm*

o. nice..

Live CD. I can't run live cds?
Helios
Daniel wrote:
Some have an option to install it, but most don't.

Knoppix has the option to install itself on an HDD.
corey
The point is that the 4x cd rom in the machine won't properly read the 700mb burnt cd that knoppix would be on. Its also too slow to spin up before the BIOS would boot the next boot device. A live cd is a great idea, but a new cd is required for that. BTW, I know that there was a floppy installer for Fedora 2. Perhaps there are more. Debian still has a floppy installer (a bit hard to find on the website, but its there), and you could always forget slow Linux and get zippy with FreeBSD. It has a floppy installer too.

Of course, you'll have to read the install manuals if your'e new to this stuff (hell, I'm far from being new to it and I still don't feel ok unless I read the install docs).
n0obie4life
I hate live CDs..
MaartenVdP
I recently found an old laptop of mine, a Toshiba tecre...
It has 80MB RAM, a pentium classic and a 4x cd-drive. Confused real slow, i know

I tried to install Mandrake 9 and 10 (Now Mandriva) but it would'nt work... Sad
I tried Debian (With KDE)... and it installed just fine... After adjusting some settings it runs fast enough to work with. Very Happy
Now I have my pc running on Debian sarge and a home brew version of LFS www.linuxfromscratch.org

So i think a faster machine could run like a new one with Debian
dandollinger
You can run almost any operating system with 128 megs of ram. I only had 128 megs for an old Dell computer that couldn't handle anything, it had windows XP on there that ran without any major problems. It did however run out of memory when you ran too many applications at one time on it, especially when running a software firewall and an anitvirus program. Also, referring back to the quesiton, I put Redhat Linux 8.0 that computer. The full version with everything installed. You would be happier with more ram, say 256, which isn't a whole lot either, but you would notice a huge improvement over 128. You have plenty of harddrive space. Redhat linux installation will let you configure your harddrive to the desired partitions. I perfer a system partition for the OS, an install partition for software, and a third partition for personal files. Redhat will install the drivers for your Intell video card with no problem. Also, A pentium III is perfect for this version of linux.
n0xvb
I have a Gateway laptop, 233MHz PII (64MB RAM), 4GB HDD and can run any flavor of Slackware with no problems. Gnome and KDE can be a bit slow, I normally use Fluxbox. I set up a large swapfile of about 200M and the rest runs reiserfs. Currently running 10.2.

Slack is awesome, but some configuration tasks can be a bit daunting...

The Intel i810 chipset works okay, but when configuring LILO, I cannot use any framebuffer video modes to work, I'm stuck using standard 25x80 text resolution. It works fine with X however
pallu
The real disaster about Knoppix and its derivates like Knoppix STD and so on, is that the filesystem is READ ONLY. For example, I run knoppix and I want to modify an option of a common application I use -> I need to edit some /etc/ files, this implies that I have to be able to have write permissions in /etc directory.
Unfortunately this directory and all the files in it reside in a cdrom.
This makes IMPOSSIBLE to modify all /etc files. And this is shit.
guaxa
Slackware Linux 10.2

or SuSe

or Knnopix
Samyonair
I read about it that it is stable and you can download it 4 free as Live CD, and 5 - CD Version 4 installing, I Like SuSe I use it very often, the only problem I have to use WIN XP to playing because i can't use caldera with steam I don't no why?

Can anyone help me where I can find a Tutorial to install Steam with caldera???
Helios
Samyonair wrote:
I read about it that it is stable and you can download it 4 free as Live CD, and 5 - CD Version 4 installing, I Like SuSe I use it very often, the only problem I have to use WIN XP to playing because i can't use caldera with steam I don't no why?

Can anyone help me where I can find a Tutorial to install Steam with caldera???

WTF man?

I didn't understand much of what you just said but you can Dual Boot with grub or lilo. That means that you can have "Win XP"(lmao) and a Linux distro together on one HD.
n0obie4life
Hmm, steam from valve?

Not possible even with that Wine or whatever.
LordSata
if you don't like the text version i advise you to use a Slackware with fluxbox. It's really light and it don't create problem if you have 128MB RAM.
NB: during the installation create a swap memory: minimum 256MB.
if your choiche falls back on Slacware and you have problem don't hesitate to contact me Very Happy
pjv
Try Ubuntu Linux (www.ubuntulinux.org/). We have it installed in our Pentium III 128 memory on our cafe and it works perfectly fine. Not to mention the ease of installation and use.

n0obie4life wrote:

127MB RAM
Pentium III

My WINME PC is pissing me off after I installed recent patches from MS. Constant crashes, my zonelabs firewall's GUI is missing Sad, etc..
pjv
Try Ubuntu Linux (www.ubuntulinux.org/). We have it installed in our Pentium III 128 memory on our cafe and it works perfectly fine. Not to mention the ease of installation and use.

n0obie4life wrote:

127MB RAM
Pentium III

withaar
I like the attitude of using your older hardware with a lighter OS. I had debian on a P90 (mhz) laptop with 32mb memory. I was running fluxbox and xfce at some point. Some advantages of debian are:
    fine control over what gets installed
    choice of window managers - important because this is where the slowdown comes from
    you get to know the distro pretty well during install Smile

The best way to do it is to get a relatively small network installation disk. This will download additional software as you go.
godzilla
Try Gentoo...you might need someone to help you out, if you have little/no prior Linux experience, but they make the install easy, for the most part. And, its really fast, because you compile everything for yourself. I really recommend it. My old Tecra laptop (P3 700, 256 Ram) runs like a dream. I used to have an old box (AMD K6, like a Pentium 2) that ran Slackware just fine. So, Gentoo or Slackware will do it for you. Though I like Gentoo more.
withaar
godzilla wrote:
Try Gentoo...you might need someone to help you out, if you have little/no prior Linux experience, but they make the install easy, for the most part. And, its really fast, because you compile everything for yourself.

Compiling everything on an older machine will take a good long while...
godzilla
That's true. It took my laptop the better part of a day to compile the 2.6.13 kernel. But, once the initial wait is over, things run beautifully.
webbone
I think you can run redhat linux under 5,and don't run xwindows,run in txt mode,I think it's ok!
harrer
Puppy linux would provide the best features while consuming less resources.
zarawatsonn
In this specification command based OS is best for you, you cannot use any Graphical UI, it doesnot work with this PC specifications.
jajarvin
Puppy Linux will work with 126 MB RAM.
loveandormoney
n0obie4life wrote:

127MB RAM
Pentium III

Use a small Linux like Puppy.
jestoy0514
May I suggest you use Slitaz. Or I may say, check Puppy Linux as well but don't go with the latest release due to your hardware may not be suitable for that instead try with older release. Hope this helps.