FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

If we made the ultimate political party, what would it be?

ocalhoun
No matter what party you adhere to, you must admit, they have their defects.
For my usual Republican party, for example, there are suspicions of racism and a soft spot for certain big industries.

If we started from scratch, making the perfect political party, what would its views be?
Now, lets not get into grand debates about things that many people disagree on, such as abortion, gun control, and gay rights... What things would this party stand for that we could all agree on?
TVme
One thing my governor (Mr. Schwarzenegger) is doing is remaining mostly Republican, but not limiting himself to typical republican ideals - for example - he won't allow off-shore drilling along our beautiful California coasts. He changed his mind. I think any new party can't fall into stubbornness. Sometimes conceding that an idea is good is okay. "Flip-flopping" isn't always a bad thing.
Moonspider
ocalhoun wrote:
No matter what party you adhere to, you must admit, they have their defects.
For my usual Republican party, for example, there are suspicions of racism and a soft spot for certain big industries.

Ironic, isn't it? Considering that the Republican party was founded as an abolitionist party in the 1850s. (Lincoln being the first Republican president.) The Democratic party line was anti-emancipation (hence the reason Lincoln didn't win a single southern state in the 1860 election). Not to mention that Democrats embraced white supremacy in the South and used racist, terrorist groups like the KKK to block the black electorate.

FDR didn't even back an anti-lynching bill in the 1930s. It wasn't until World War II, when FDR started integrating defense plants (and later Trumann integrated the military), that the Democratic party began to embrace civil rights.

And it was a Republican (Eisenhower) that continued to fulfill these commitments, who sent troops to the South to force integration, who passed the first civil rights legislation in a century. Eisenhower's vice president, Richard Nixon, carried a significant amount of the black vote in his 1960 run against JFK. And in 1964, which party carried the most votes in congress for the '64 Civil Rights Act? The GOP.

People have short memories.

But then again it's not that simple, and Republican party members, like Goldwater, started behaving like Democrats once did, not supporting civil rights.

As for the question (I finally got to it), like George Washington, I don't like the idea of political parties. So I certainly wouldn't attempt to found one. But although I am a registered independent, I tend to vote Republican. (I can't remember the last time I voted for a Democrat, but I would not register as a Republican just on principal. Wink)

TVme wrote:
One thing my governor (Mr. Schwarzenegger) is doing is remaining mostly Republican, but not limiting himself to typical republican ideals - for example - he won't allow off-shore drilling along our beautiful California coasts.

I saw a report on television today that more than 60% of the oil that enters the ocean comes from natural seepage through the sea floor. Furthermore, the vast majority of oil introduced into the oceans by humans comes from regular people (boating, etc), not oil spills from the oil industry, like tankers (I think that was less than 5%). Only 1% comes from oil drilling operations. (The information came from the Coast Guard and the National Academy of Sciences, as I recall.)

I'd heard something similar back in the 1990s while living on Texas coast. So chances are if you find small globs of oil on the beach (which is not uncommon) it came from Mother Nature. Smile

Respectfully,
M
ocalhoun
I think we've drifted a little here; you've taken my example and made it the point of the thread.
Sad
Moonspider
ocalhoun wrote:
I think we've drifted a little here; you've taken my example and made it the point of the thread.
Sad

My apologies, not my intent but my response was indeed buried by the tangential subjects about it.

Like I said, I don't like the idea of political parties period, and therefore would not attempt to ever create one. I honestly don't think one could form a party that appeals to everyone.

ocalhoun wrote:
What things would this party stand for that we could all agree on?

Is there any common ground for all U.S. citizens? I've racked my brain, but I can't think of a single thing upon which everyone agrees. For every stance or position, I can think of a group that disagrees with it.

Respectfully,
M
LostOverThere
We'd never be able to make an ideal party because everyone has a different opinion (Democracy FTW).

However, I'm a bit of a left winged nutter. Sorry but its true.
spinout
leftwings are good wings!

the throught is that every wing has it's moments.

Still fully paid hospitals with tax money is such a blessing!
there are no hospital debts! I love living a such a country!

we have some bad politics right now with prisoneers - some jail are suited with electrified fences Sad
Let the criminals slow get the chance to get civilized, in steps, rather than punich them. cos when they get out they need to be civilized and not a worse criminal.