FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


VISTA VS. XP





sergiypro
hi,

Ever since vista was released there was thousands of complains about bugs and performance Vista it self needs 2 gigs to operate, Windows Xp takes about 128 MB.
Windows Xp Was the best operating system Microsoft has ever made. If you you like to downgrade from vista this FAQ will help you.

FAQ: Giving up on Vista? Here's how to downgrade to XP

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9040318
csoftdev
y vista? vista is piece of crap. use linux, go go linux.
Diablosblizz
csoftdev wrote:
y vista? vista is piece of crap. use linux, go go linux.


That might be your opinion, but for a Windows lover it will not be. Also, XP only takes 64 MB of RAM to run alone.
mOrpheuS
Vista may appear to take up more memory than it really does*, because of the fact that it tries to utilize all available system memory. (Memory usage displayed in Linux can be similarly misleading !).
Run it on a system with 512 MB of ram and the task manager ("ps" or "top" in Linux) will display usage of about 400MB. Run it on a system with 1 GB of ram and the displayed usage will be 700-800 MB.

Do you really want your OS not to make full use of your ram ? It's not like the memory isn't made available for user applications when needed.

And surprising as it may sound to the whole cult of Vista haters, applications actually run faster on Vista - if you have a PC good enough to run it. (full article).



* - Not to imply that it doesn't really use more memory than previous version of Windows, which is only to be expected.
LostOverThere
Hey, this isn't about Linux.

I'd go with XP over Vista. My personal opinion of course.
Diablosblizz
Morpheus standing up for Windows! Smile That's awesome! Thank you for clearing this up, now I'm actually going to considering switching cause I've never seen XP run more than 800 MB of ram at a time.
Kelcey
I stick with XP. It simply doesn't use all my system's resources. It's awesome.
pll
Well, you only need to read my signature to know what I think. Cool
Maybe I should cut my hair like this to let you know what I think :


Seriously, as a Vista owner... I'd still stay with XP.
snowboardalliance
on a fast laptop, I'd say vista has been a big improvement over xp.
Firilacroco
Microfost wants to stop making updates for XP so you'll have to chose between Linux and Vista.
Studio Madcrow
Vista does some things better than XP, but it also does lots of things much less well. All things considered, I'd stay with XP as long as you can run all the programs you want to run on it and not move to Vista until you absolutely have to.
revani
My mother bought a laptop with Vista installed. I can't persuade her to install XP, and she hates Vista because of its speed.

Vista really is slow. It doesn't support some games like Neverwinter Nights (Which runs really good on Linux). If you want a Windows, XP is the way. But if you want an OS, Linux, it is.
leosthenerd
XP is a whole lot faster and more usable than windows vista, which is why I am going to switch to it shortly here...try not to catch vistaids Very Happy
balend
So many people claim Vista is a big piece of crap. I run Windows Vista Ultimate on one of my PCs, which is a 5 year old desktop. The PC is an HP 896c. I have not made any modifications or added anything to the PC, except for adding more ram to get a total of 3GB of RAM. Now when Vista first came out, it was flawed and had compatibility issue, but what OS is flawless upon launch? However, time has gone by and SP 1 came out and I don't have any problems with it. It runs smooth, fast, I have no compatibility issues, and I have yet to get a BSOD.

Now everytime I use an XP based machine, it irritates me. There are a handful of features that I just miss when I use Windows XP. Many people will still find an excuse why Vista sucks, but in reality, they just can't look over the review they read back when Vista first launched.

You can probably tell by now, so I say Vista, because the only problem with it is perception.
cvkien
some people like pepsi and some people like coke. it just like windows and linux. same thing. you cannot ask people to like things like you. it just depends on your taste. just a matter of taste.
kitsrock
at least for now, i'd vote for xp over vista.

vista was pretty terrible when it first came out, but xp wasn't all that great when it first came out either. with enough service packs and updates, xp slowly turned into a viable (and the best to this date) operating system windows released.

maybe, just maybe, vista will go through the same thing. and with enough improvements and changes, who knows? it may even well be better than xp.

but like i said, at least for now, i cast my vote towards xp over vista.
swizzy
snowboardalliance wrote:
on a fast laptop, I'd say vista has been a big improvement over xp.


True, XP faced similar criticism when it was launched, everyone will get over it, and will be praising vista in a few years, and will be dissing windows 7 Wink
adminim
xp best of windows
ProfessorY91
Sticking with XP. Less memory, greatEST compatibility. Dont feel like messing around with linux..., and Vista doesn't have the bugs ironed out yet.


Switch to Vista in 1 year from ... August 11, 08. (For compatibility and MS not updating XP).


Linux Supporters go post in the right topic.

Uhhh... yup.
LostOverThere
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Linux Supporters go post in the right topic.


Linux hasn't been mentioned here for quite some time now (not that it should, either). Razz
1www
xp is the greatest and most complete
reiika101
I would use a Mac anyway. Vista is full of bugs, Microsoft will stop supporting XP in 2010.
snowboardalliance
swizzy wrote:
snowboardalliance wrote:
on a fast laptop, I'd say vista has been a big improvement over xp.


True, XP faced similar criticism when it was launched, everyone will get over it, and will be praising vista in a few years, and will be dissing windows 7 Wink


true, and what windows user would still say xp is really buggy? I mean, in terms of windows.
That is a really good point.
Fire Boar
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Switch to Vista in 1 year from ... August 11, 08. (For compatibility and MS not updating XP).


Actually... MS said they would extend their support of Windows XP through to 2014, since a lot of their main business partners are considering switching to Linux from Windows XP because of Windows Vista's resource hogging and the previously claimed dropping support of Windows XP.

In terms of features, Windows XP has everything that most businesses want - they don't need to upgrade as long as support remains sound. They certainly don't want to invest in newer and faster machines just to be able to run an operating system that doesn't really offer a great deal more.
insideout1
I personally have been using vista for some time now. Initally i only wanted to test out the operating system so i could build an oppinion of it. I see alot of people saying how much they hate vista, but i think its much better than xp. I belive alot of people just dont like vista because they are soo use to how xp handles. I do admit that initally there were a few things that took some getting use to, and i cant stand the UAC security, but after disabling that and performing a few other personally tweaks, i have came to find vista has been alot more stable than i ever found xp to be. Perhaps it helps that i had upgraded my pc hardware when i switched to vista, but it has truly won me over. I wont be switching back to xp anytime soon thatz for sure! Razz
kansloos
Vista is more bloated but containes some easy new functions for new/ non-technical users. However they screwed over the configuration menu's bigtime.
devaco
I like Apple than Vista because it works better and easy to use .
Da Rossa
Stick with XP until 2014, when the support will be officially over. In the meantime, you can try some Linux distros, or even a Mac. I prefer XP over all.
davidfromoz
Perhaps I have a slightly different take on this. But I have a Windows 2000 license that is now running on its third PC hardware. My wife has WindowsXP and when she gets her new PC we'll try to move it across to the new hardware. Until I see a reason to upgrade I'll stick with what we have. I've used 2000, XP and Vista and I see virtually no difference between them. I'll spend the money I save on ice cream or a new memory stick or something.

I think Vista can get the job done. I remember a list of complaints about Windows XP when it came out. I'm sure they were legitimate, but they have long since been addressed with service packs. I think Vista is the same. In fact I think SP1 solved nearly all the problems I am likely to encounter. If I were buying a new OS or I got a good offer when getting my new PC then I'd certainly buy Vista. That way I can wait longer till my next upgrade.

So far the only things that made me wonder about upgrading Windows 2000 was Google Chrome (it will run on 2000 with a hack, but I'm happy with Firefox really) and Warhammer online (which I decided I didn't want to try enough to upgrade my OS, I note it now does support 2000). As for Windows XP I see no reason to upgrade from XP to Vista yet.

cheers,
david
taytay
i just purchased windows Vista Premium this very night... *gasp* I never thought I would see myself doing such a thing. Of course I hear horrible things about it (as does everyone), and I have has my own negative experiences. An HP Vista machine even BSOD'd me in best buy. But that was 2 weeks after vista was released. I've been hard core on sticking to XP ever since SP1 came out. then SP2.

I just built a new machine and the 64-bit of Vista Premium was 40 dollars cheaper than 64-bit XP. which is a bit ridiculous. I proclaim it's a marketing technique!! however i could use the 40 dollars, so I'll give it a whirl. Of course (as everyone else also says) it might be a while until all most tragic bugs are worked out. But now when that day comes I'll already have vista and wont have to wait another day for it to arrive to me!

I'll keep ya posted Wink
Designerroger
Xp for the win!
albuferque
Recently I've read that most European Enterprises have refused to deal with Stockers Enterprises to change their park of IT. One of these CIO argued that ,in this time of world crisis, changing O.S was a stupid idea. In addition Microsoft has announced that it'll offer support for windows XP until 2016. So why vista?. I would ask why don't we stay with XP?

These alliance between Microsoft-Intel and this "acceleration" for changing and innovating is finishing with WINDOWS. Windows 8 will be the end of the basic DOS. I wonder why Microsoft is so close to Novell.
Will there be an Microsoft Enterprise Linux in the future?
taytay
albuferque wrote:
One of these CIO argued that ,in this time of world crisis, changing O.S was a stupid idea.


I'm pretty sure Microsoft doesn't give a whoot about the state the world is in. As long as they're rolling in the cash they could care less.


On another note, my first few hours of my Vista Premium 64-bit haven't been too bad. The clean install was much easier than XP, and Vista recognized the full capacity of my SATA hard drive without needing a raid driver like some people said i might need., unlike XP which only showed 127Gb (i know I could have made it work if I ran the drivers through a floppy drive during setup, but I only needed XP to work on my system until Vista x64 came.)

Didn't even need to install any of my mobo drivers other than the north bridge driver. Logitech, ATI, and Apple's websites were easy enough to navigate to find the 64-bit drivers and programs.

looks nice, full 8Gb pf ram is nice, straight across 5.9 Vista rating is nice even though i don't really care how good vista proclaims my system to be.

I'll let ya know when a snag finally comes a;ong
Agent ME
albuferque wrote:
I wonder why Microsoft is so close to Novell.
Will there be an Microsoft Enterprise Linux in the future?

Microsoft probably sees Novell with its Suse Linux system as its biggest threat in many corporate environments, so it wants to keep some influence. I don't think Microsoft would ever brand its own form of linux.
jsfdan
Vista wins.

Vista has better design and functionality.
davidhawkins123
i have had vista since day 1 and havent noticed any real problems with it

the only problem is that it takes more ram to run Very Happy
rohan
vista has faster in process than xp
rohan
vista presentation is good than xp
provide better security
o_man
Personally, I'd encourage you to get the windows 7 beta, but since that wasn't an option, go with XP. SP3 makes it super fast, and it's dirt cheap, about 100 bucks at tigerdirect.com. unless you play a lot of high-end games, you won't need vista anyway. linux is great, but it's not really a consumer product, u nlessyou want to spend a lot of time tweaking it. just my 2 cents bro.
Diablosblizz
I would not recommend Windows 7 just yet. Read anywhere, it clearly states do NOT use this as a operating system that you NEED to rely on. It's a beta, therefore not everything is working properly, and could crash at any time.

For me, after trying Vista, I'd defiantly say Vista if you have the hardware. If not, XP is just as great!
aningbo
windows vista is worth it but only if u have a good configuration. if ur system is old, dont think about it either.

buying a new system , its best to buy the best configuration and use vista. i dont know why vista is hated so much. jst get a better and faster system. if u cant effort it, stick to windows 98 or 95.
waknin
In my opinion XP wins, Windows Vista is an operating system really good for fast machines with good performace but XP runs in most computers, without any problems.If you have a really robust Pc, buy Vista and have fun. If not, choose XP.

If anybody find spelling mistakes, please, be patient, English is not my mother language...

Smile
o_man
Diablosblizz wrote:
I would not recommend Windows 7 just yet. Read anywhere, it clearly states do NOT use this as a operating system that you NEED to rely on. It's a beta, therefore not everything is working properly, and could crash at any time.

For me, after trying Vista, I'd defiantly say Vista if you have the hardware. If not, XP is just as great!


There is a risk with any beta, of course, but I know people who have put Win7 through the most brutal of software and hardware, and it stands firm. I challenge you to find someone with a bad Win7 experience who isn't biased. But yeah, if it's do or die, stick with xp.
Fire Boar
o_man wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:
I would not recommend Windows 7 just yet. Read anywhere, it clearly states do NOT use this as a operating system that you NEED to rely on. It's a beta, therefore not everything is working properly, and could crash at any time.

For me, after trying Vista, I'd defiantly say Vista if you have the hardware. If not, XP is just as great!


There is a risk with any beta, of course, but I know people who have put Win7 through the most brutal of software and hardware, and it stands firm. I challenge you to find someone with a bad Win7 experience who isn't biased. But yeah, if it's do or die, stick with xp.


Too right you! I'm probably biased against Microsoft somewhat, yet Windows 7 has been a pretty positive experience for me in the hour or so I tried it, it can easily become the best Windows yet: those who liked Vista will definitely like Windows 7, but even the most persistent Microsoft bashers can probably agree that Windows 7 is On The Right Track.
MiCKi
for me Linux is the best
Nolt
For me Vista is a big mistake, MS wanted get some more more money for programming new projects and pay ppl who get cheated with Vista Capable logos on computers.
invizibility
Well I'd go with a few posts above... Linux. But the fact of the matter is that linux can never be as polished or simple as Windows for noob (even Ubuntu or FC10 or Lindows or Mandriva). So if you had to go with something from MS, its gotta be XP. Even today most dev happens on XP and made compatible with Vista. Lets see if W7 changes anything Smile until then its XP Prof FTW. Smile

I
seannie
I switched to a mac because of how much of a pain in the neck Vista had gave me. And I just didn't want to downgrade it because the PC itself was giving me heaps of problems.

But if I were to choose between the two, I would definitely go for XP.
Vista in my opinion is just an eye candy operating system. It's hard for average users to get familiarized with it and the network settings in vista just seemed to always give me problems when there shouldn't be any at all.
So yeah, XP for the win!
jvpgmunden
XP is smaller and Faster on LOW PCs but vista is veryy faaast on a Good PC... i think Vista's best!
Diablosblizz
Just a heads up for anybody, if anybody has NOD32 V4 (newest - like a few weeks ago) and has Vista SP2 (was released for a RC about a week ago) then there will be some major problems. It'll proclaim that the realtime protection has corrupted itself, although it really hasn't.

Just a heads up, if you get that then remove the RC.
thedinh
I still Win Xp. hic Rolling Eyes Win XP ist the best. Vista i thinks not as good as Xp.
kirba
i stayed with XP because Vista requires more RAM. I have used vista for month and got back to XP. Now i am using XP with vista transformation pack (icons and general appearance is same as in vista).

Although i think i will quit xp when windows 7 releases Smile
forum-knxs
Oops, thank you I will download and give
welshsteve
Vista is fine as long as you have a very high spec machine or just buy a machine with it pre-loaded. The big problems and complaints came when people tired to upgrade their old machines straight to Vista.

I quite like Vista. It's just different than XP, in much the same way as Linux is different or the apple Mac os/x is different. Get used to it and you're fine.
Fire Boar
welshsteve wrote:
Vista is fine as long as you have a very high spec machine or just buy a machine with it pre-loaded. The big problems and complaints came when people tired to upgrade their old machines straight to Vista.

I quite like Vista. It's just different than XP, in much the same way as Linux is different or the apple Mac os/x is different. Get used to it and you're fine.


Funny that... I had Vista pre-installed on my laptop and my initial impressions were "hm, this is okay". After 6 months of using it I grew to despise all things Vista, and it's what made me realize that there were other operating systems out there... especially Linux.

So thank you, Vista, for showing me the way out of Microsoft Lock-In (TM)!
idoisl
i am using windows vista ultimate but if you will ask me i say go on XP its better than all...but, when i am thinking on that i'll prefer windos 98 the old and classic
snowynight
csoftdev wrote:
y vista? vista is piece of crap. use linux, go go linux.

i don't think it is good to use linux only unless you want to go back to the experience of win98 .
fewer choices of new softwares including games. Yes it's safer, but if you stay at home it will be safer than driving to work. Laughing
It has better appearance if you can install drivers. But the downloading and installing of a hardware will be a nightmare for new users. After 3 hours' of hard job you will find thant a 30-minute-installation of a vista is a best choice.

well for vista or xp. I think vista looks better on your computer if it was bought in 2 years time.
Fire Boar
snowynight wrote:
It has better appearance if you can install drivers. But the downloading and installing of a hardware will be a nightmare for new users. After 3 hours' of hard job you will find thant a 30-minute-installation of a vista is a best choice.


Ahahahahahaha! Hahahaha! Whoo... hahaha... haha... hah... hah... Oooh, you're funny! Man, that's the best joke I've heard in a long time.

You're not serious, right?

In case someone doesn't get the joke, Windows is well renowned for being terrible to install. The installation itself normally works okay, but then you have either an hour or so of installing drivers from a CD or (more likely) 6+ hours of trying to find the damn things on the Internet. Compare that with Linux, which in 99% of cases recognizes everything except possibly wireless devices (might need ndiswrapper plus a Windows driver since wireless devices are so varied). nVidia graphics cards have an open source driver, but better graphics and 3D acceleration can be achieved in most distros with just one or two clicks from the desktop to download and install the proprietary driver (which is never included by default for various reasons).
Mdr5
modifed windows w2k3 is the best Wink
HamsterMan
snowynight wrote:

i don't think it is good to use linux only unless you want to go back to the experience of win98 .
fewer choices of new softwares including games. Yes it's safer, but if you stay at home it will be safer than driving to work. Laughing
It has better appearance if you can install drivers. But the downloading and installing of a hardware will be a nightmare for new users. After 3 hours' of hard job you will find thant a 30-minute-installation of a vista is a best choice.

well for vista or xp. I think vista looks better on your computer if it was bought in 2 years time.

Now now, you can't can't generalize Linux because Linux is not a single entity. There are tons of different distributions, with tons of different user interfaces installed, KDE being among the most popular. Now I still use XP for the most part myself as I want the ability to play the latest games, but this is in no way the fault of all the people devoted in bringing us Linux as the game developers keep making games for DirectX only. OpenGL is close to or even more powerful than DirectX and should not be underestimated.

Ah yeah about Vista. Apart from Microsoft's marketing ploy to use DirectX10 to get users to get Vista I don't see any reason at all to switch. It is clearly slower as shown on tons of different benchmarks (a few that I have made myself as well). The search function in Vista is teeeerrible compared with in XP. If you like the flashy new interface is really up to you. Personally I just can't bring myself to like it. It's.... well, too flashy and pointless. Give me efficiency over eye candy anyday.

Now why is it that you can't have both a faster and a newer operating system. Upgrading from, oh lets say Win98 to 2000, or from 2000 to XP was slower yeah but at the same time they offered tons of new features (less so from 2000 to XP) that was worth the decrease in performance. But why should it cost us so very much in computer hardware to achieve the same performance from Vista that we are used to in XP. It's not like it gives us any significant improvements over XP.
Fire Boar
HamsterMan wrote:
Now why is it that you can't have both a faster and a newer Windows operating system.


Fix'd. Smile
Dennise
XP for me .... a real 'no brainer'.

Vista is just a lot of fluff to get customers to buy it because it looks cool. And, in my opinion, it is full of bugs. For example, I still cannot get my DVD drive to work correctly with Vista (it's a Dell PC that came packaged with a DVD drive). Even Vista's back-up to DVD is flaky. And then it took me days to get our home wifi up after trying two PCI NIC cards and finally an outboard USB wifi. I am no novice at this having built two PC in past.

Vista sucks Evil or Very Mad
babygeek
vista was something that came out, 'cos it had to come out 'too long in development', to justify to the shareholders, perhaps...

imo, stick with xp till windows 7 proves itself to be a better one...
tiagoeq
Vista is incomparably better than xp
Fire Boar
tiagoeq wrote:
Vista is incomparably better than xp


Burn the Witch! *waves pitchfork*
weableandbob
XP-don't feel like spending any more money, it works fine for now, and I've heard Vista has many problems, even if it isn't as big of a memory hog as people say.
thedinh
i thinks Win XP is stlil the best product.
IT has all feature i need for may Jobs.
in my country, all compyter in Cafe Internet are installed Win XP.
thedinh
weableandbob wrote:
XP-don't feel like spending any more money, it works fine for now, and I've heard Vista has many problems, even if it isn't as big of a memory hog as people say.

yes you say right. i have tested Win vista, and it has also so many problems
Denvis
I got a new laptop just about the end of 2008 with vista installed on it. I don't think it's slow and I have no problems with it. People talk trash about vista all the time just because when it first came out it wasn't "PERFECT".

Having that said, I still prefer XP over Vista.
zhaoyun
when i first see this thread title, I suppose the word Vista.Xp is mean Window XP VISTA Very Happy.

Yea, I dont like the Windows Vista, this product is not successfull like XP before.

Windows Vista is so very greedy resource, not only that many software or program and Game can't support by this Operating System.


I hope the latest Windows 7 dont repeat this fail Windows

Thx
PleoMaster
Windows XP all the way unless u have a decent amount of RAM, I am currently running vista but I am just waiting for XP to finish downloading.
foreverdestiny
XP.
welshsteve
I've been using Vista for about a year now and so far I'm ok with it. There are little niggles that annoy me compared with XP. And does seem to try and do everything for you instead of letting you decide what you want to happen in certain scenarios.

Overall, I don't think it's as bad as people have made out. It's just different.
sourojit
I appreciate that microsoft tried to improve computing with windows vista but i still really feel that xp is better and stable .I have use both these operating systems ,but now i feel windows 7 is the best..It has superb stability,does not freeze like others...
Sch1nk3nstyl3
they are both very good, but all OS have some errors.
Linux also.
I work with 2 pc's with vista and 1 pc with xp.
all 3 work together in a network - no problems.
So: Vista is as good as xp.
eshazz
In my opinion I would actually prefer Vista. Although I know that XP run's on a computer with less RAM, and it probably also runs faster.
joostvane
I run a quite expensive computer. An i7 core - 920 and 6GB of DDR3 RAM. I don't have so much problems with vista. I like the way it works, and it doesn't crash that often.

Everyone seems to complain about it, but it runs fairly smoothly here. Not worse than my older PC running XP. (Note: I'm running vista 64 bit)
Related topics
Windows Vista Official Thread
Windows Vista. Jakie macie o nim zdanie???
Vista or XP?
vista or xp
Windows XP Vs. Windows Vista?
Dual Boot Screen XP & Vista
Para dar paso a Vista WINDOWS XP FUERA EN 2008
[news] Pasar de Vista a XP, más fácil
windows XP or swap to VISTA
wat is beter xp of vista
Building new computer - Vista or XP?
How much did Microsoft pay Jerry Seinfeld??
dual OS windows vista and xp
Going ffrom Vista to XP
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.