FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

problem with either mobo or cpu please help

andy26
Okay so my friend had decided to build his own PC but somewhere along the line i think hes messed up so iv taken up the challenge of rebuilding it and the problem is either the mother board or the processor I know this because everything else powers up but nothing is displayed to the monitor iv tried the built in VGA and a AGP compatible graphics card and still nothing shows to the screen there are no beeping noises coming from the mobo speaker to indecate any problems. iv checked to make sure the cpu is compatible and in place properly and all seems to be good, iv cleared cmos several times and still nothing. iv also taken everything out except the power switch and psu and cpu and RAM and monitor cable and stil nothing is showing to the screen i have tried 3 monitors so its not them iv also tried a different Power supply unit and still it doesn't work so it must either be the mobo or cpu. is there anyway of me finding out which it is? the mobo is a SG-80DC Abit and the processor is a Pentium dual core.
badai
if you think it's either cpu or mobo, then get another working cpu & mobo to test it.

is there another way of doing it?
QrafTee
Well let's see... if it was the PSU, it wouldn't turn on at all... most likely.

If it was the CPU, you should still be able to POST.

If both dedicated and integrated cards fail to show a display and/or your monitor just doesn't read it, then it's probably the northbridge of your motherboard.

If it was the monitor... well you've tested out three so that can't be it. I'll assume you've tested multiple cables already.

The culprit is most likely your motherboard.
Kelvin
If there is no beeping, then it's either the PSU, CPU or motherboard. What is the voltage of that PSU he is using? If you think the voltage is sufficient, then you'll have to check the CPU... was the CPU cooling fan working when he tested it? There may be a possibility he may have burned the CPU. Else it is finally down to the motherboard.
andy26
Iv recomemnded my friend to buy a new motherboard, because i think thats the most likely faulty part iv also descoverd some mild corosion on the underside of the motherboard. i'll let you all know the outcome when iv fixed the problem.
Diablosblizz
I suppose that none of you read QrafTee's post. If the PSU (Power Supply Unit) is gone then the computer would NOT turn on.
ssthanapati
if its a old mother board try cleaning the port of the video cable with a contact cleaner... I had a similar problem, and after tearing a lot of hair it was found out that the connector, even though the same connector worked perfectly in another monitor
andy26
The mother board is new but its been sat half built in a computer case for about a year so its either that it was faulty when purchased or there was to much moisture in the air where it was stored. i had seen a bit of corosion on some solder points on the underside of the motherboard where the video card is and again under the cpu. so theres a chance its had moisture contact.
osuchin
Maybe the problem is in CPU. Check your CPU if you put it correctly.
andy26
I checked to make sure the cpu was in correctly and it was.
simonwest80
Ok the 1st thing you need to know is - does it beep??

If it doesnt beep the problems are
Faulty PSU - the computer can still "Turn On" all the green lights will flash but no boot
Faulty CPU - same as above
Faulty Mobo (does the mobo have a light on it - most ASUS do and this at least will tell you a little)
Incorrectly set memory - if the memory is not compatible or not inserted properly can also cause the above symptoms
simonwest80
Diablosblizz wrote:
I suppose that none of you read QrafTee's post. If the PSU (Power Supply Unit) is gone then the computer would NOT turn on.

Sorry mate this is untrue a faulty PSU can still turn the PC on but often it will not boot
andy26
simonwest80 wrote:
Ok the 1st thing you need to know is - does it beep??

If it doesnt beep the problems are
Faulty PSU - the computer can still "Turn On" all the green lights will flash but no boot
Faulty CPU - same as above
Faulty Mobo (does the mobo have a light on it - most ASUS do and this at least will tell you a little)
Incorrectly set memory - if the memory is not compatible or not inserted properly can also cause the above symptoms

there is no beeping.
i have tried two PSU's
i have tried 3 differnt types of compatible memory
it really does come down to either he cpu or motherboard but i think its cheaper to replace the motherboard than the processor.
simonwest80
Well if its not beeping and all the other stuff you have done then my money would be on the mobo. However, there is a small possibility it could be the CPU or both. There is a possibility that the mobo was faulty and could have fried the chip, or at powering on, a surge could have fried the chip also.