FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cron Jobs

schudder
Hey, I was just wondering, do you support cron jobs? Or are they disabled to decrease cpu load?

I wouldn't need them right away, but I have a feeling they might become important in the future.

Thanks
orno
yes cron jobs through cpanel are supported and allowed...
although if u seem to be running an overly cpu-intensive task, then bondings (the owner of this place) might ask you to stop that...
gonzo
yes. no. yes they are. EggDrop is not allowed.
schudder
Ok, thank you very much Smile
Bondings
Yes, they are allowed, just not every minute. And please don't make a cron backup of your whole site. That is really taking a lot of cpu.
schudder
Oh, no, that's not what I was going to use it for. It would probably (when I start using it, which probably won't be in the first month (or two)) just be an hourly or (most likely) daily update/recalculation of my database.

That is, if my hosting request is accepted of course Wink
orno
Bondings wrote:
.. And please don't make a cron backup of your whole site...

Don't give people ideas Wink
Bondings
schudder wrote:
Oh, no, that's not what I was going to use it for. It would probably (when I start using it, which probably won't be in the first month (or two)) just be an hourly or (most likely) daily update/recalculation of my database.

That is, if my hosting request is accepted of course Wink

That's not really a good idea. Just do a parly backup manually when you need it. Those scheduled backups are the worst that can happen on a server.
schudder
I didn't say back-up, did I?
Just some recalculations inside my database, based on... well... I don't know yet. I'm not even sure I'm going to need it actually... all depends on how much time I have now that I'm going off to university.

But it's not meant as a back-up, just something that happens at a regular interval, so that I don't have to worry about it every day... or week...
Bondings
schudder wrote:
I didn't say back-up, did I?
Just some recalculations inside my database, based on... well... I don't know yet. I'm not even sure I'm going to need it actually... all depends on how much time I have now that I'm going off to university.

But it's not meant as a back-up, just something that happens at a regular interval, so that I don't have to worry about it every day... or week...

If it's not backup, but just a regular php page that is executed and it only takes a few seconds to execute, then I certainly don't have problems with it, certainly not if you do it daily.
schudder
Ok, thank you. Now I can only hope you accept my application Wink (I see you still have a long list to go through, so good luck with that).
n0obie4life
Bondings, how about "Cron" SQL backup?S
Bondings
n0obie4life wrote:
Bondings, how about "Cron" SQL backup?S

Not too often please. Wink