FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Marketplace 2.0

LukeakaDanish
Just a little idea that's been running around in my head for a while.

Frihost has so many good coders and users who would love to test new things. Lets do something awesome with the marketplace.

My idea-mockup (its meant to show my ideas - not look awesome)

Seriously...as a community we should be able to give frihost great features...though of course, if mr. B insists on keeping all the cards on his hands, something like this will never be a reality...
wumingsden
There will be a reality ...
but a one-man show takes a lot longer.

Steve is too proud to relinquish the power that he has. I can't say I blame him neither.

Its a nice idea, and I don't think it would be that hard to implement, as to me it seems a lot like the directory feature.
Although there will then be no need for the marketplace forum, and it'll probably be too hard to implement the points for posts features.

I still think its a nice idea though, but I think it would be a lot more useful a) when points have a lot more use or b) if real-money was allowed here.
LukeakaDanish
wumingsden wrote:

Steve is too proud to relinquish the power that he has. I can't say I blame him neither.

Its a nice idea, and I don't think it would be that hard to implement, as to me it seems a lot like the directory feature.
Although there will then be no need for the marketplace forum, and it'll probably be too hard to implement the points for posts features.

I still think its a nice idea though, but I think it would be a lot more useful a) when points have a lot more use or b) if real-money was allowed here.

oO I didnt know real money wasn't allowed - I've seen "500 frih$ or 10 USD" now and then in the marketplace many times...I guess that real money would open the landscape for abusers - but i guess, if the payment is ALWAYS after the service is received, at least no one will loose any money to anyone who misbehaves. Personally I don't see any problem in trading with mini-transaction type money.

Presumably giving points/frih$ for stuff in the marketplace, even after creating a proper marketplace, wouldn't be too hard...

Yes, I did consider this a replacement for the marketplace, rather than something to run alongside it.

Basically, this is my idea for giving frih$ a meaning...i guess Smile - coz right now they dont have any (at least not for most of us...)
wumingsden
LukeakaDanish wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

oO I didnt know real money wasn't allowed - I've seen "500 frih$ or 10 USD" now and then in the marketplace many times...I guess that real money would open the landscape for abusers - but i guess, if the payment is ALWAYS after the service is received, at least no one will loose any money to anyone who misbehaves. Personally I don't see any problem in trading with mini-transaction type money.

Presumably giving points/frih$ for stuff in the marketplace, even after creating a proper marketplace, wouldn't be too hard...

Yes, I did consider this a replacement for the marketplace, rather than something to run alongside it.

Basically, this is my idea for giving frih$ a meaning...i guess Smile - coz right now they dont have any (at least not for most of us...)

Frih$ already have the meaning your proposing, so it won't give it any more meaning. I think the idea is cool though. But as said, I think frih$ need more/other uses, before developing older ideas.
LukeakaDanish
I disagree - the marketplace is so unorganized, and provides so little ability to "force" people to notice your product (other than double-tripple-quadruple posting) that its not a good place to sell more serious things (like website templates)

Combining frih$ with real money and the ability to properly advertise your product could easily create new and interesting things to use your frih$ on. - hell, the marketplace frontpage could have "sponsored products" list, which you pay to get your product on!
wumingsden
LukeakaDanish wrote:
I disagree - the marketplace is so unorganized, and provides so little ability to "force" people to notice your product (other than double-tripple-quadruple posting) that its not a good place to sell more serious things (like website templates)

Combining frih$ with real money and the ability to properly advertise your product could easily create new and interesting things to use your frih$ on. - hell, the marketplace frontpage could have "sponsored products" list, which you pay to get your product on!

The marketplace is organized, but that's by the latest post. It would be a lot useful if, for example, categories/tags could be incorporated. I agree.

To be honest I don't think there is anything to disagree upon (but LOL if you disagree with this too).

Your suggestion isn't creating a new means to use Frih$, its simply updating an outdated feature. And don't get me wrong, I do support your concept. And in time it may even be developed.

But like most things it has its pro's and con's.

And I doubt real money will ever be allowed here at frihost. A lot of things could go wrong with transactions so frih$ are a lot safer, and even then there are arguments concerning who owes who money.
Ghost Rider103
I think it would be a great idea. Thoguh I think focusing on the main design of frihost is a better idea, and then once we are finished with that, this is another thing we can add on to it.

For the real money problem, and using real money on frihost, that is a very simple fix. In the TOS, make sure that they understand that frihost is not responsible at all for any transaction problems with real money. That right there is used on most websites that deal with real money.

I don't know if this matters to you guys or not, but I have actually been paid real money to do some graphic design work for some users that visit frihost frequently. I wont mention who, but there has been at least 2 that I have done work for with real money.

Now this of course wasn't done in a thread, however it started in a thread, and then went to PM's, which led to using MSN messenger because it is easier to communicate that way.

I think even if you did allow real money, people would perfer to talk about pricing in PM's, for personal reasons. Also, it wouldn't be all that great of an idea to post your paypal email on the forums.
LukeakaDanish
No longer disagree with you wumingsden Smile

Ghost Rider103: Agree 100% with that.
ocalhoun
wumingsden wrote:

There may come a time (if that time is not already here) when that will slow Frihost's growth. Eventually the site is bound to outgrow a single programmer, and when that time comes, Bondings will either have to find someone that he trusts enough to do quality coding, or see Frihost begin to stagnate.

Not trying to pick on him there, as I too can understand why he likes to do all the coding exclusively, but there comes a point when it is too much for a single person to handle. Perhaps he could do like some developers do, and have an executive programmer, who just writes basic algorithms, and other programmers working under him to transcribe those general algorithms into actual code.
Ghost Rider103
I don't think Frihost is loosing any activity. If anything, Frihost is gaining more activity. Especially with the new server coming out.

But I do think your right, there will come a time where it will be too much for one man to handle, and I completely agree with you, it would be great if Bondings had someone work with him that he can trust for quality coding. It would be much easier on Bondings, and it would speed up the process on some of the new updates we are looking / hoping for.
LostOverThere
This would be brilliant! I'm all for the idea - top job.