FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New user username box explanation

ocalhoun
When a new user signs up and is asked to give the username, sometimes the new user thinks that the name put in there will become the subdomain name.

This doesn't happen often, but it is sad to see some users going around with website names that they can't change.

Why not add a little text next to the username box to explain that this is only the forum username, and not the name of the subdomain they will get? It wouldn't be much trouble to add, and it would save a few people from their own misunderstanding.
LukeakaDanish
I think this is a very good idea indeed.

Not that it happened to me (my username is just bad in the first place), but I've seen a lot of members make the mistake you mention.
deanhills
Excellent idea. And very much true.
Bondings
I think it's rather the users that really want that username. But indeed, maybe I can stress it a bit more.

Currently it is:
Code:
Username: *
Choose your username carefully as you won't be able to change it after registration. Allowed characters are "a-z", "A-Z", "0-9", "-" and "_". Spaces and special characters are (no longer) allowed.
LukeakaDanish
Bondings wrote:
I think it's rather the users that really want that username. But indeed, maybe I can stress it a bit more.

Currently it is:
Code:
Choose your username carefully as you won't be able to change it after registration. Allowed characters are "a-z", "A-Z", "0-9", "-" and "_". Spaces and special characters are (no longer) allowed.

How about making it:
Code:
Your username does not have to be the same as your websites name.

Nice and simple, nice and easy for newbies to understand.